Forums/Armchair-GM

NJD fans how much is Blackwoods RFA rights worth and his next contract

Created by: OneTMLForMePls
Team: 2023-24 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: May 19, 2023
Published: May 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Dosent look like Blackwood has a future with NJD, so what are his RFA rights worth. Plus, what does his next contract look like?
Trades
NJD
    ?
    TOR
    Buyouts
    Recapture Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    12$83,500,000$49,217,500$422,500$1,382,500$34,282,500
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C
    UFA - 7
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    C
    UFA - 4
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RW, C
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LD/RD, LW
    UFA - 1
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    G
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 19, 2023 at 9:38 a.m.
    He has $3.36 million qualifying offer

Devils probably take mid-to-late pick for him
    May 19, 2023 at 9:40 a.m.
    Quoting: NHLfan10506
    He has $3.36 million qualifying offer

Devils probably take mid-to-late pick for him

To that note, no one in this league should pay that...meaning he goes untendered and someone gets him for peanuts for free as he attempts a comeback with either a team that has no goaltending depth, or is a really good team that he may be a distant 2B for, but has a good enough team in front of him he can shine and hope someone gets him next contract.
    May 19, 2023 at 9:45 a.m.
    Originally thought that the Devils could get a 4th or 5th rounder out of him. But knowing his qualifying contract and other RFAs who are not worth their contract, their value is already slim to none, and also don’t have a spot in the lineup, I think that the devils won’t qualify him and they’ll let Blackwood become a FA. I don’t think anyone will pay a 4th or 5th to have to pay the qualifying offer of 3+ mil. Someone would rather get him for free in FA with a lower cap hit
    May 19, 2023 at 10:08 a.m.
    Quoting: NJDevils1317
    To that note, no one in this league should pay that...meaning he goes untendered and someone gets him for peanuts for free as he attempts a comeback with either a team that has no goaltending depth, or is a really good team that he may be a distant 2B for, but has a good enough team in front of him he can shine and hope someone gets him next contract.

Quoting: Erkadurk347
    Originally thought that the Devils could get a 4th or 5th rounder out of him. But knowing his qualifying contract and other RFAs who are not worth their contract, their value is already slim to none, and also don’t have a spot in the lineup, I think that the devils won’t qualify him and they’ll let Blackwood become a FA. I don’t think anyone will pay a 4th or 5th to have to pay the qualifying offer of 3+ mil. Someone would rather get him for free in FA with a lower cap hit

If I had to handicap it, I would say chances are:

25% we qualify him
    15% we sign him to below QO
    20% we trade his rights
    40% we let him walk

Schmid has exemptions left, so Fitzy could opt for Vanecek/Blackwood tandem to start 2023-24. Last thing we want is too few goalies like 2021-22. (And Blackwood himself may be more likely to clear waivers that any UFA we may sign). If Mack gets healthy and some confidence back, there is a good goalie in there somewhere.
    OneTMLForMePls liked this.
    May 19, 2023 at 10:19 a.m.

25% we qualify him
    20% we trade his rights
    40% we let him walk

Schmid has exemptions left, so Fitzy could opt for Vanecek/Blackwood tandem to start 2023-24. Last thing we want is too few goalies like 2021-22. (And Blackwood himself may be more likely to clear waivers that any UFA we may sign). If Mack gets healthy and some confidence back, there is a good goalie in there somewhere.

I believe in Blackwood and his ability, but there’s no more opportunity left. He’s not gonna wanna sign here. I think he’d rather go somewhere where he has an opportunity. He’s not gonna agree to be the third string yet again, except now for a whole season instead of just the postseason. Get a cheap third string if we are worried about goalies. I don’t think that’s necessary bc we have Daws in the system and Tyler Brennan will be backing him up. I believe Daws could hold down the fort in a few games if need be. Not trying to jinx anything, but our only goalie injuries last year were Blackwood twice. Akira and Vitek were both healthy so hopefully goalie injuries don’t become a problem. Even if the devils wanna bring him back, I doubt he signs
    OneTMLForMePls liked this.
    May 19, 2023 at 10:31 a.m.
    Quoting: Erkadurk347
    I believe in Blackwood and his ability, but there’s no more opportunity left. He’s not gonna wanna sign here. I think he’d rather go somewhere where he has an opportunity. He’s not gonna agree to be the third string yet again, except now for a whole season instead of just the postseason. Get a cheap third string if we are worried about goalies. I don’t think that’s necessary bc we have Daws in the system and Tyler Brennan will be backing him up. I believe Daws could hold down the fort in a few games if need be. Not trying to jinx anything, but our only goalie injuries last year were Blackwood twice. Akira and Vitek were both healthy so hopefully goalie injuries don’t become a problem. Even if the devils wanna bring him back, I doubt he signs

He said he likes it here. Didn’t commit to anything but did say he liked the team and players. So I wouldn’t rule it. But I hear what you’re saying. I am somewhat indifferent. If anything, I’d try to get a late pick for him or better yet, maybe another reclamation project.
    May 19, 2023 at 10:52 a.m.

25% we qualify him
    20% we trade his rights
    40% we let him walk

Or just play Schmid, the best goalie we have.

Why play chicken with a Blackwood contract when he has shown zero reason to ever be ahead of Schmid on the depth chart....That is like saying "Keep Luke Hughes down because we can resign Graves to another year". Just play good hockey players.
    May 19, 2023 at 11:01 a.m.
    Quoting: NJDevils1317
    Or just play Schmid, the best goalie we have.

Why play chicken with a Blackwood contract when he has shown zero reason to ever be ahead of Schmid on the depth chart....That is like saying "Keep Luke Hughes down because we can resign Graves to another year". Just play good hockey players.

I agree with you. I am more forecasting a scenario in which Fitzy opts to keep him. I personally was ready to move on a year ago.

Either way, it’s unlikely he ends up above Schmid and Venecek. But we are going to need a 3rd goalie at some point to play with Daws.
    May 19, 2023 at 11:02 a.m.
    Unless negotiations are way too far off with Samsonov, then Blackwood to Toronto doesn’t make any sense. Leafs had interest in him last off-season as a project like they did with Samsonov, but they’re likely to go with the tandem they have in Samsonov and Woll. They see Woll as the long term guy and wanna develop him and without being able to send him through waivers anymore it’s his time
    May 19, 2023 at 11:24 a.m.
    We have the passion
    Quoting: GreatWhiteNorth
    Unless negotiations are way too far off with Samsonov, then Blackwood to Toronto doesn’t make any sense. Leafs had interest in him last off-season as a project like they did with Samsonov, but they’re likely to go with the tandem they have in Samsonov and Woll. They see Woll as the long term guy and wanna develop him and without being able to send him through waivers anymore it’s his time

Yeah I knew, just another cheap option

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll