Forums/Armchair-GM

Should we trade the 1st

Created by: pensfan21
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 9, 2023
Published: Jun. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let me know what you guys think but imo we should trade the 1st only if it is for a 1st pairing level D. Our bottom 6 can be fixed in free agency, but I don't know if our D could with not many options out there. Use that pick to get a legit top pair guy. Don't like trading it for a goalie at all when the position has been so volatile recently. Let me know what D you guys would consider trading it for. I think we need a puck moving guy who can help with the transition game, but I need more ideas. Only one that comes to mind is Hanfin.
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
14$83,500,000$57,523,092$0$0$25,976,908
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 9, 2023 at 9:49 a.m.
Personally I’d rather keep the 1st. This draft is crazy deep and we have no prospects whatsoever. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to start looking to the future since all of our top guns are getting up there in age. That being said, Dubas has a history of trading down to acquire more draft picks. So who knows what the plan is.
pensfan21 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 9:52 a.m.
Yes. Given what Gavrikov and Severson just got paid this is the best way to get an impact defender while still having money to address the bottom 6. I also consider using the first for a high end winger. I think they go two veteran goalies in a 1a - 1b situation this year instead of signing or trading for a true starter.
pensfan21 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 9:55 a.m.
Quoting: brgh4life
Yes. Given what Gavrikov and Severson just got paid this is the best way to get an impact defender while still having money to address the bottom 6. I also consider using the first for a high end winger. I think they go two veteran goalies in a 1a - 1b situation this year instead of signing or trading for a true starter.

I agree. I think trading for a goalie is a bad bad idea. Severson contract is absolutely absurd. Do you have any ideas on other D we could trade for?
brgh4life liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 9:58 a.m.
The 1st should definitely be on the table - but only if it's for a big upgrade and something you can't get on the open market. Like a Hellebuyck or Saros - maybe even a Debrincat trade. The only defenseman I would probably make a run at with this years first is Toews.

I would imagine if they trade for Hanifin he would play 2nd pair with Petry. A Hanifin/Letang pair is too similar of players imo
Jun. 9, 2023 at 9:59 a.m.

I like what you said about the goalies. I’m hesitant to trade the 1st honestly. Dubas likes to fix problems from inside the pipeline, so i’d imagine guys like Puustinen and Nylander get shots at the NHL and O’Connor will be full time. Could also see Joseph and Smith battling for the 2LD and 3LD spots with Pettersson at the 1LD. Dubas isn’t huge in free agency either so signing a 2LW is unlikely. I could see something like this as our lineup without trading the 1st:
Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Puustinen-Malkin-Rust
FA SIGNING-FA SIGNING-Nylander
O’Connor-Poehling-Carter

Pettersson-Letang
Joseph-Petry
Smith-Ruuta

FA SIGNING
Desmith/FA SIGNING

EDIT: This assumes Granlund is a buyout
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
Quoting: pensfan21
I agree. I think trading for a goalie is a bad bad idea. Severson contract is absolutely absurd. Do you have any ideas on other D we could trade for?

Brodie from Toronto could come cheap. He's a vet on an expiring deal with a 5 mill contract. I imagine Toronto would value the space more than the return. He could be a defensive rock for either Letang or Petry. Grzelcyk is a good option too. I think Bruins fans are anticipating a much bigger return than he will actually get, but he can easily slot into the 2nd pair and be a good option.
Penz87 and futurebobmckenzie liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:10 a.m.
Quoting: futurebobmckenzie
I like what you said about the goalies. I’m hesitant to trade the 1st honestly. Dubas likes to fix problems from inside the pipeline, so i’d imagine guys like Puustinen and Nylander get shots at the NHL and O’Connor will be full time. Could also see Joseph and Smith battling for the 2LD and 3LD spots with Pettersson at the 1LD. Dubas isn’t huge in free agency either so signing a 2LW is unlikely. I could see something like this as our lineup without trading the 1st:
Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Puustinen-Malkin-Rust
FA SIGNING-FA SIGNING-Nylander
O’Connor-Poehling-Carter

Pettersson-Letang
Joseph-Petry
Smith-Ruuta

FA SIGNING
Desmith/FA SIGNING

EDIT: This assumes Granlund is a buyout

I'd be fine with that defense, but they would need to use the cap space saved to bring in another top 6 winger. I think Puustinen is NHL ready, but not sure he can handle top 6 minutes from the start.
futurebobmckenzie liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:15 a.m.
I'd be fine with that defense, but they would need to use the cap space saved to bring in another top 6 winger. I think Puustinen is NHL ready, but not sure he can handle top 6 minutes from the start.

I agree with everything both of you said, but I think that defense would be brutal. It's basically the same thing as last year but swapping Smith for Dumo. Given how atrocious our defense was last season, I think we need bigger changes than that. One puck moving D as our transition game was awful, and one bigger more physical D who can defend the front of our net. Our net front D coverage was beyond awful last year.
futurebobmckenzie liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:16 a.m.
Banned
Woof. This roster doesn’t even have enough players for a game…
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:18 a.m.
Brodie from Toronto could come cheap. He's a vet on an expiring deal with a 5 mill contract. I imagine Toronto would value the space more than the return. He could be a defensive rock for either Letang or Petry. Grzelcyk is a good option too. I think Bruins fans are anticipating a much bigger return than he will actually get, but he can easily slot into the 2nd pair and be a good option.

I was going to bring up Grzelyck but you beat me to it. I think he could even be a good top pair D with Letang. But he could also play 2nd pair. And I agree, I don't think he will be too expensive, probably could get him for 2024 2nd and another small piece.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:18 a.m.

About Puustinen- I actually think he’d thrive on the 2nd line. I feel putting him in a bottom 6 role would hinder his development and I choose Puustinen over Nylander to be on the 2nd line. It wouldn’t be smart to have them both on the 3rd line imo.
brgh4life liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:21 a.m.
About Puustinen- I actually think he’d thrive on the 2nd line. I feel putting him in a bottom 6 role would hinder his development and I choose Puustinen over Nylander to be on the 2nd line. It wouldn’t be smart to have them both on the 3rd line imo.

I think Puustinen is better than Nylander. But in that case I would get a 2nd line caliber player for the 3rd line. Or move Rust to 3rd line. Completely fine with Puustinen in top 6 but think we need to have someone else like Bertuzzi in addition who could play any line I think he could thrive there but I wouldn't completely plan around that happening if that makes sense.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 11:11 a.m.
I think Puustinen is better than Nylander. But in that case I would get a 2nd line caliber player for the 3rd line. Or move Rust to 3rd line. Completely fine with Puustinen in top 6 but think we need to have someone else like Bertuzzi in addition who could play any line I think he could thrive there but I wouldn't completely plan around that happening if that makes sense.

I agree, that’s a good way to look at it
pensfan21 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.

I'd be fine with both of them on the same line, so long as they have a proven veteran center to work with. If both of those players flanked ROR I'd be more than happy with that as a 3rd line.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 7:58 p.m.
Pens71

This is so right, we should not trade for a goalie. Also Dubas's comments in his press conference made it sound like he would never do that considering he said its so hard to predict goalies in today's game.
pensfan21 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll