(NJD/CBJ) - Severson for 2023 3rd (CGY)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:54 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Random2152
What JH did means nothing for CBJ

Nitpicking one play means nothing. You realize these guys live and breathe like a regular human, right?! But I'm sure you make your Starbucks cinnamon dolce latte perfect everytime, Mr Krackhead.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:57 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Nitpicking one play means nothing. You realize these guys live and breathe like a regular human, right?! But I'm sure you make your Starbucks cinnamon dolce latte perfect everytime, Mr Krackhead.

Yes, the guy well known for incidents like this shouldn't be judged for another incident like that.
Not surprised this opinion comes from an Oilers fan
Jun. 9, 2023 at 11:01 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Random2152
Yes, the guy well known for incidents like this shouldn't be judged for another incident like that.
Not surprised this opinion comes from an Oilers fan

Ouch. Im hurt. Oilers fan burn.
Yeah the guy known for being an everyday top4 NHL dman I'm sure is just out of sorts after one clip from some guy named Random on a message board. You really showed us, both.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 11:07 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Ouch. Im hurt. Oilers fan burn.
Yeah the guy known for being an everyday top4 NHL dman I'm sure is just out of sorts after one clip from some guy named Random on a message board. You really showed us, both.

He isn't gonna **** you
Jun. 10, 2023 at 7:02 a.m.
I love how every other team can dump cap, but the Bruins can’t.
Jun. 10, 2023 at 11:03 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Holy crap! This is a steal. Robbery. Why isn’t anyone talking about how Columbus just paid a 3rd for a Top pairing Dman?
Jun. 10, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Missouri
Holy crap! This is a steal. Robbery. Why isn’t anyone talking about how Columbus just paid a 3rd for a Top pairing Dman?

Because the 3rd was only for Severson's signing rights as a UFA.

This was a sign and trade by New Jersey.

It was so Severson can play for Columbus instead.

Multiple teams were willing to pay for Severson's signing rights.

This is far from being a steal or a robbery.
Missouri and majormoose007 liked this.
Jun. 10, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: sensonfire
Because the 3rd was only for Severson's signing rights as a UFA.

This was a sign and trade by New Jersey.

It was so Severson can play for Columbus instead.

Multiple teams were willing to pay for Severson's signing rights.

This is far from being a steal or a robbery.

But he is a solid top 4 dman right? Asking cause I haven't watched NJ much this year so not really sure tbh.
sensonfire liked this.
Jun. 10, 2023 at 2:47 p.m.
sensonfire
But he is a solid top 4 dman right? Asking cause I haven't watched NJ much this year so not really sure tbh.

He's a solid top 4 dman.

But New Jersey wasn't really giving up anything tangible.

Most teams that were calling the Devils about Severson's signing rights were probably offering 5th round picks.
Missouri liked this.
Jun. 10, 2023 at 3:42 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: sensonfire
He's a solid top 4 dman.

But New Jersey wasn't really giving up anything tangible.

Most teams that were calling the Devils about Severson's signing rights were probably offering 5th round picks.

Oh ok I understand. Yeah I guess I'm not factoring in the fact that it was his "signing rights" that was at play. Big difference compared to if this was a deadline or any other deal, which is what I was comparing it to lol. Like the Provorov trade that has term on contract.
sensonfire liked this.
Jun. 10, 2023 at 10:00 p.m.
The Usual Suspects

Yeah, the deal was to make the contract eight years and therefore the cap hit more manageable. Looking past the overloaded D situation, CBJ does have a full farm system, so they can afford to part with a 3rd round pick. That lets them essentially sign Severson to play for six years at a reasonable cap hit with a planned buyout at a reasonable amount for the next four.
Missouri liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 12:03 p.m.
Quoting: darthsummer
Maybe you’re right, but it makes no sense to burn contract years while not using Jiricek. He doesn’t have much to prove in Cleveland.

Injuries notwithstanding, I’m expecting CBJ to target a lineup something like:
Werenski-Boqvist
Provorov-Severson
Jiricek-Gudbranson
Blankenburg+2nd defender (hopefully Bean)

Too much spent on Gudbranson to not use him. Yes, I know that puts two RD in the third pairing, but that’s how most of the last two years were spent. If they have a trade lined up, then great. Not so much of they’re trading Bean. Injuries have robbed him of playing a full season of games; they’d get pennies on the dollar. Bjork/Berni are backup plans, but the past has proven treating Europeans so disposable will lead to at least one of them returning home to play. My gut tells me Peeke will be traded back home as well, but that’s stateside. The Panthers’ surprise run cooled talk of their weaknesses, but Jarmo and his old protégé Bill Zito will swing something. (In my dreams, it’s an epic deal reuniting Laine with Barkov in Columbus, but as capital goes out the door, I realize the unrealistic nature. Still, it’s Tkachuk’s team now…maybe time for Barkov to get a fresh start?)

Mateychuk, Ceulemans, and Svozil all need another year of seasoning, but I would like to see one moved before desperation hits and while valuation is still at a peak. The rest project to be fillers (Knazko) or AHL talent (Christiansen, Bjørgvik Holm, Sweezey).

All of that said, I’m not overly fond of the trade for CBJ, and not just because they were paying for UFA rights. These are the types of middling moves that keeps a middling team forever at the middle of the pack, hoping to make the playoffs, hoping to win one series.

Instead, look at the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd they just sent out the door. Now add Mateychuk or Ceuelmans. You have a starting point for an Erik Karlsson trade. Better yet, include Gudbranson and Merzlikins and tell SJS they don’t have to retain a dime on Karlsson. Not saying it’s all the way there—I’d try to include maybe three more 2nds/3rds and Bemström before conceding another 1st—but the framework is there. That (and/or Barkov) would actually move the needle.

Okay, I’ve said (almost) all I have to say. As long as CBJ/NJD were dealing, some form of Roslovic & Robinson for the other Boqvist would have made sense. Okay, now I’m done. For now.

Tkachuk was good the first 2 rounds, but its clear that the team is Barkovs team.... There is no GM that would take Tkachuk over Barkov...
Jun. 12, 2023 at 5:29 p.m.
Banned

He's no Mike Matheson. That is for sure. Thanks again for that one!
Jun. 13, 2023 at 3:40 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
He's no Mike Matheson. That is for sure. Thanks again for that one!

Huh? damn hextall
Jun. 13, 2023 at 7:56 p.m.
Banned
Huh? damn hextall

At least you have Dubas! He got blackballed by Shanahan. I cant wait to see what this guy will do! He will do A LOT this Summer and it will be unorthodox.
Missouri liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Ownership must have let Jarmo hear the branch creak. These have been good moves IMO, but they are not patient moves, they are win now moves.

I wonder if he moves 3OA?

I kinda wonder why Jarnmo is still the GM.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 11:02 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
At least you have Dubas! He got blackballed by Shanahan. I cant wait to see what this guy will do! He will do A LOT this Summer and it will be unorthodox.

Yeah I'm pretty excited. Funny how Spezza and him both left and jumped ship to Pittsburgh.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 8:03 a.m.
Banned
Yeah I'm pretty excited. Funny how Spezza and him both left and jumped ship to Pittsburgh.

The Pens cap situation is overblown. They have a ton of space and a GM that isnt afraid to mix it up. This isnt some manager that has made promises to players in the old boys club way of doing things. I hope that Fenway Sports doesnt interfere because this Summer could be something. You have the cache of Crosby there as well which will help with the turnover. I'm thinking Jeff Carter, for example, he isnt going to complain too much about his NMC if it helps Crosby get a Cup.

Dubas will probably do something wild like hire a half dozen assistant GMs. Dubas had a lot of ideas *supposedly* that MLSE didnt like and he was babied. That is the entire reason that Shanahan threw him out. It was Dubas or Shanny.
Missouri liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit