Forums/Armchair-GM

Realistic Tom Wilson Conversation

Created by: TM11
Team: 2023-24 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 13, 2023
Published: Jun. 13, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As Caps fans, we have been spoiled with getting Tom Wilson on our team for all this time and I hope just like he has said that he retires a cap. I know we want to stay competitive with OVI and I think we will even with a trade. But I think its time to realistically ask would it be better to trade Wilson. If Toronto is desperate and we can get a guy like Nylander, or get a guy like Debricat from Ottawa or even some of the young guns from LA as reported. I think we could open the window for longer if we were to ship him out for the right guy. As we all know big physical players like him don't really age well and I want him to be a DC staple forever but it might be time to ask the conversation if we can get the right package should we let him go.

** DIDN'T SIGN ANYONE BUT MARTY, THIS ISNT AN OFFSEASON PREDICTION JUST WANTED THE LINES FULL. THIS IS MORE A TOM WILSON DISCUSSION**
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Wilson, Tom
1$6,000,000
Wilson, Tom
1$6,000,000
Trades
WSH
LAK
  1. Wilson, Tom
WSH
OTT
  1. Wilson, Tom
WSH
  1. 2023 7th round pick (CHI)
CHI
  1. Mantha, Anthony
  2. 2023 7th round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Also think Chicago could be inticed to move back like 5 spots just to take on the Mantha contract because there is a decent chance that he rebounds back to at least a 40-50 point guy where they could eaisly retain and flip him for a 2nd at next years deadline
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the COL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$67,647,500$20,000$82,500$15,852,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$775,000$775,000
C
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 1
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,225,000$1,225,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:47 p.m.
KFTW
Theres a history of power forwards slowing down in their late 20s to early 30s, see Lucic, Wayne Simmonds, Corey Perry etc. I wouldnt want to be the team that pays WIlson from ages 29 and up
Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
Quoting: csick
Theres a history of power forwards slowing down in their late 20s to early 30s, see Lucic, Wayne Simmonds, Corey Perry etc

Yeah I said that in my description, which is why Im kinda on the boat where if we can get a Toronto team that is willing to give up Willy, or yall (as the sens) thinking its a good idea to bring him in and use him as a piece for Debrincat or get some youth from LA i would be all for it.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: csick
Theres a history of power forwards slowing down in their late 20s to early 30s, see Lucic, Wayne Simmonds, Corey Perry etc. I wouldnt want to be the team that pays WIlson from ages 29 and up

Couldn't agree more, if you were trading just for the rental into playoffs, then that's great. However, if you're expecting him to be the same player in year 4-7 of a contract extension , you likely shouldn't be a GM
Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:51 p.m.
Quoting: TM11
Yeah I said that in my description, which is why Im kinda on the boat where if we can get a Toronto team that is willing to give up Willy, or yall (as the sens) thinking its a good idea to bring him in and use him as a piece for Debrincat or get some youth from LA i would be all for it.

Can't see the Leafs moving Nylander for Wilson +. As much as he is a need for the team, he likely only has a few seasons left of being an elite power forward. I think the Leafs will deal picks and prospects but again, noting the Caps would really want in return
TM11 and Leafsfan98 liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:54 p.m.
Caps fan
All those reports that you mentioned had clickbait titles. All those articles mention that the "Conversation" basically went:

LA: "Is Wilson available?"

WSH: "No"

LA: "Didn't hurt to ask lol"
Kalopsia liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:57 p.m.
Quoting: Sprak
All those reports that you mentioned had clickbait titles. All those articles mention that the "Conversation" basically went:

LA: "Is Wilson available?"

WSH: "No"

LA: "Didn't hurt to ask lol"

Everyones available on the caps Minus OVI, your kidding yourself if you think not especially with all the young pieces LA has. Now is LA willing to trade it TBD but I think the caps are gonna at least pick up the phone if someone comes calling and see
Jun. 13, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
Hawks decline. They are not enticed at all by that offer. Takes the Caps '25 2nd rounder to move Mantha and his $6.5m salary to the Hawks.
Garak, PaulKorea and Patches liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:02 p.m.
Caps fan
Everyones available on the caps Minus OVI, your kidding yourself if you think not especially with all the young pieces LA has. Now is LA willing to trade it TBD but I think the caps are gonna at least pick up the phone if someone comes calling and see

Did you read the articles at all? or just the titles? because the reports are that Wilson isn't available, only a crazy trade offer would get the caps to think about it but that's the case for every player. From the Hockey News and Sammi Silber, "While the Kings have reportedly inquired, it doesn't seem that general manager Brian MacLellan is interested in proceeding with a deal involving Wilson for now.
MacLellan said at the end of the season that he wants Wilson to finish his career up in D.C., and the feeling is mutual for the 29-year-old, who added that he's not going to "play hardball" when it comes to signing an extension."
Kalopsia liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
Quoting: Hawksguy81
Hawks decline. They are not enticed at all by that offer. Takes the Caps '25 2nd rounder to move Mantha and his $6.5m salary to the Hawks.

The caps are just buying him out at that point. The point of that is if he produces yall can get more at the deadline
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I don't want the Leafs to go after Wilson TBH, his crazy suspension history, age of power forwards slowing down and his lack of speed
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
Did you read the articles at all? or just the titles? because the reports are that Wilson isn't available, only a crazy trade offer would get the caps to think about it but that's the case for every player. From the Hockey News and Sammi Silber, "While the Kings have reportedly inquired, it doesn't seem that general manager Brian MacLellan is interested in proceeding with a deal involving Wilson for now.
MacLellan said at the end of the season that he wants Wilson to finish his career up in D.C., and the feeling is mutual for the 29-year-old, who added that he's not going to "play hardball" when it comes to signing an extension."

You literally just said exactly what I said in my response. Everyone is available and it would take something crazy to deal with him but if LA was offering something crazy they would listen.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
The caps are just buying him out at that point. The point of that is if he produces yall can get more at the deadline

And if he doesn't? The chances that he repeats his last 2 seasons in Washington are probably better than him rebounding. Hawks don't take that chance for a swap of 7th round picks.
Garak and Patches liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:08 p.m.
Caps fan
You literally just said exactly what I said in my response. Everyone is available and it would take something crazy to deal with him but if LA was offering something crazy they would listen.

There's a difference between "available" and a team offering the caps the equivalent of multiple (more than 2) firsts for Wilson. Being available means that teams would have to play market value for a player to move, or that a team is listening to offers on them. The caps are not looking to move or even considering moving guys like Strome Wilson and Ovi barring major overpays.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:10 p.m.
And if he doesn't? The chances that he repeats his last 2 seasons in Washington are probably better than him rebounding. Hawks don't take that chance for a swap of 7th round picks.

He socred at a 62-point pace in 2021/2022 and a 40-point pace this year so I think if he "RePeaTs HiS lASt tWo SeAsOnS" yall would be happy and eaisly get a second for him. Caps fans just hate mantha becasue we gave up a first and fan favorite Vrana for him. He still produces decently just not to the level we got him or 2 his contract. Also GMS dont like to admit failure so I can see our GM not wanting to give a sweatner to accecpt his defeat.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:12 p.m.
There's a difference between "available" and a team offering the caps the equivalent of multiple (more than 2) firsts for Wilson. Being available means that teams would have to play market value for a player to move, or that a team is listening to offers on them. The caps are not looking to move or even considering moving guys like Strome Wilson and Ovi barring major overpays.

So again you are agreeing with me everyone is available except OVI minus a big haul which is exaclty what I said to start.....
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.

He is a one year contract for the Blackhawks if they take that, they do not have to deal with his cap forever. And further more they are 16 million away from the cap floor, they need to take a heavy one year contract at this point, so look at it from a general standpoint not the "oh he isn't living up to his first round pick hype" narrative
TM11 liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 1:48 p.m.

I hate when people get pedantic about this. Obviously when someone says so-and-so's not available, they mean the asking price would be higher than any team would realistically be able to pay, it's just simpler to say they're not available.

Quoting: Leafsfan98
I don't want the Leafs to go after Wilson TBH, his crazy suspension history, age of power forwards slowing down and his lack of speed

Ok, clearly you haven't actually watched him if you think he lacks speed. That's basically the main thing that sets him apart from guys like Lucic, Simmonds, or Penner. Wilson's got legit high-end speed, not just "good for his size" speed. Those guys couldn't afford to lose a step, so when they started slowing down in their 30s the game totally passed them by. Wilson can lose a step and still be able to keep up. That's why I'm a lot more optimistic about his ability to keep up a high level of play into his 30s than I'd be if he was a typical power forward.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
It has already been pretty well established over the year that Mantha is going to cost something significant to dump. Most WSH fans that are regulars on here, and don't just show up at this time of year, understand that. There has been no recent development that would change that valuation. CHI isn't taking cap dumps for nothing in hopes of flipping them down the road. What we do down the road with the cap dumps that we acquire is our business, and if we profit from it that would be WSH's loss. You just gotta eat those kinds of things and do what needs to be done. You don't get teams to bite on cap dumps for half baked middle ground proposals.

If you can dump him for less, go for it. But it is highly unlikely that CHI is the team to do it.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 2:13 p.m.

I think people have gotten so caught up with Mantha's ceiling and how disappointing it is that he hasn't reached it that they lose sight of what he actually is. Over his time with the Caps Mantha has 58 points in 118 games, which is a 40 point pace. He's only gotten second unit powerplay time, so almost all of that came at even strength. His 5 on 5 P/60 is 1.73, which puts him in the same neighborhood as Tyler Seguin, Bo Horvat, and Logan Couture. His 53.3 SAT% is the second highest amongst Caps forwards over the last three seasons (min 82 GP), and despite how lazy he might look on the ice the advanced stats have said he's good defensively every time I've seen them. Put it all together and that's a strong third-line winger. Is that worth a 5.7M cap hit? Obviously not, but that's his floor. Even if he doesn't bounce back, a player like that can be moved at the deadline with retention for a pick or two. If he's on pace for 30 goals come the next deadline, he could return a 1st.

Personally I don't think the Caps move him before seeing what Carbery can do with him, but if they offered him to the Hawks for something negligible like this I feel like there's zero downside for the Hawks to take him.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Kalopsia

Ok, clearly you haven't actually watched him if you think he lacks speed. That's basically the main thing that sets him apart from guys like Lucic, Simmonds, or Penner. Wilson's got legit high-end speed, not just "good for his size" speed. Those guys couldn't afford to lose a step, so when they started slowing down in their 30s the game totally passed them by. Wilson can lose a step and still be able to keep up. That's why I'm a lot more optimistic about his ability to keep up a high level of play into his 30s than I'd be if he was a typical power forward.

I understand Wilson has 37 year old Ovi and 35 year old Oshie to compare too so you might think he's fast... but he isn't... He would be about same speed as Luke Schenn andLuke Schenn is the second slowest player on the Leafs (behind Gio)
Jun. 13, 2023 at 4:44 p.m.
I understand Wilson has 37 year old Ovi and 35 year old Oshie to compare too so you might think he's fast... but he isn't... He would be about same speed as Luke Schenn andLuke Schenn is the second slowest player on the Leafs (behind Gio)

That is just so false HAHA go watch like any caps game. Wilson has a couple breakaway goals because of his speed. Are the caps slow absolutley. But Wilson has above average speed already and when he gets older it will just be average.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 6:53 p.m.
as much as it hurts to say, if teams are willing to give up for wilson what i think they will be willing to, it is the right decision to move him
TM11 liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 7:22 p.m.

Dude, you spoke out your ass and got called on it. Just own it, don’t double down.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Kalopsia
Dude, you spoke out your ass and got called on it. Just own it, don’t double down.

That is just so false HAHA go watch like any caps game. Wilson has a couple breakaway goals because of his speed. Are the caps slow absolutley. But Wilson has above average speed already and when he gets older it will just be average.

You both are funny if you think Wilson is fast or has average speed
Jun. 15, 2023 at 4:38 p.m.
You both are funny if you think Wilson is fast or has average speed

I mean you're ao incorrect and it's embarrassing I would leave this convo now because you clearly don't know anything about hockey. Congrats on winning 5 playoff games this year instead of 3!!!! I put a nice goal of Willy blowing by the Leafs below too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UhFarJEn7w

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll