Forums/Armchair-GM

Canes v3 - something different

Created by: vikhodush
Team: 2023-24 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 21, 2023
Published: Jun. 21, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Tired of seeing same deals so tried doing something different.

BUF trade - not sure on value here so feel free to chip in. Pesce signs the Severson deal as part of this. What does Mitts extension look like next year? Felt like he might be odd man out in the future in BUF and could be of interest to the canes in a deal like this. Saw a lot of BUF fans opposed to moving their first this year so figured this could be a good discussion at least.

NJD trade - a lot of reasons this wouldn’t happen but figured since canes were in on Meier at TDL they might take another look if negotiations go south (team elected reduction arb doesn’t seem like a good sign but who knows) and maybe the devils try to recoup those assets and flip them for another piece like Cat or Keller. Trading in the division is taboo, especially with two teams who look like they’ll be competitive for awhile but I think it’s a bit overblown and GMs would explore deals like this. Feel free to chime in NJD friends.

PHI trade - I think canes looked at Seeler last year and he would be a good 6/7D who brings physicality and is super cheap. If OEL experiment doesn’t go well then he can slot in full time on third pair and Canes can look for OEL replacement for PP2 at TDL. Hopefully a third is fair comp but can adjust that.

Drury wants more PT so there you go. Could be any team for a mid pick.

Thought about signing Patches to an incentive deal and still could but the top 9 is prettt loaded if healthy so seems redundant. He won’t be ready for first half of year at least so could always circle back.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$9,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,250,000
2$2,750,000
1$1,500,000
3$3,500,000
2$3,000,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Mittelstadt, Casey
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (PHI)
PHI
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (PHI)
CAR
  1. Meier, Timo [RFA Rights]
NJD
  1. Gunler, Noel
  2. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (PHI)
  4. 2025 1st round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Not sure on value but think devils essentially gave up a good prospect, a first, a second that could turn into a first. This is arguably more value but at least about the same so hopefully in the ballpark.
CAR
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (DET)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the DET
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$81,088,584$450,000$520,000$2,411,416

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 1
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$839,167$839,167
C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 21, 2023 at 10:30 p.m.
meier is staying in NJ.

Mittlestadt isnt a match for us.
kogger liked this.
Jun. 21, 2023 at 10:31 p.m.
We have up 3 players and 2 picks for Meier you need to at least add a roster player
vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 21, 2023 at 10:33 p.m.
Quoting: kogger
We have up 3 players and 2 picks for Meier you need to at least add a roster player

Yeah, open to adjusting. What’s the counter?
Jun. 21, 2023 at 10:34 p.m.
Quoting: ecupirate07
meier is staying in NJ.

Mittlestadt isnt a match for us.

Maybe. Who knows how negotiations are actually going. If they take a turn for the worse this should be something canes explore.
Jun. 21, 2023 at 10:34 p.m.
Quoting: vikhodush
Yeah, open to adjusting. What’s the counter?

Might have to start with Necas and go from there... Svech and Meier would be a really good top 6 grit/scoring tandem
Jun. 21, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
Might have to start with Necas and go from there... Svech and Meier would be a really good top 6 grit/scoring tandem

If Necas gets added in other big pieces come out. Don’t think anything that valuable was sent to sharks in terms of roster players, thought it was more to make money work. Any interest in turbo?

Yes, would be a great compliment to have them on both lines.
Jun. 21, 2023 at 10:41 p.m.
If Necas gets added in other big pieces come out. Don’t think anything that valuable was sent to sharks in terms of roster players, thought it was more to make money work. Any interest in turbo?

Yes, would be a great compliment to have them on both lines.

Turbo could be useful but we gave up Zetterlund who isn’t incredible but a roster player no less and 2 really good Russian defensive prospects
vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 21, 2023 at 10:47 p.m.
Turbo could be useful but we gave up Zetterlund who isn’t incredible but a roster player no less and 2 really good Russian defensive prospects

Fair, I guess I see it this was:
2 firsts > 1 first 1 second
2nd+Gunler = 2 prospects given up
Turbo > Zetterlund

Plus I think you guys sent some smaller stuff back to SJS but probably to make contracts work.
Jun. 21, 2023 at 10:48 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Could get more value out of Pesce. Mitts likely won’t have nearly as much success in Carolina as he just had in Buffalo, and he isn’t a C. If the Canes want a middle 6 C, Backlund and ROR would be much better alternatives. That’s a bit much for Meier considering he doesn’t currently have a contract, unless this is a part of a sign and trade. Love the Seeler pickup, and I don’t mind the Drury move, but would definitely prefer a 2nd. Drury should go for the best offer on the table.

As for signings, that’s a bit high on Meier, probably shouldn’t be going over 8mil, and maybe at most 8.5mil. Would love to get Soucy, but you might as well go for either Dumba or Clifton to replace Pesce’s spot, rather than playing Soucy on his off side. Really like the OEL pickup, and hopefully it would work out, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t have my doubts. Canes definitely need to have an insurance goalie.
Jun. 21, 2023 at 10:54 p.m.
Quoting: evelutions2
Could get more value out of Pesce. Mitts likely won’t have nearly as much success in Carolina as he just had in Buffalo, and he isn’t a C. If the Canes want a middle 6 C, Backlund and ROR would be much better alternatives. That’s a bit much for Meier considering he doesn’t currently have a contract, unless this is a part of a sign and trade. Love the Seeler pickup, and I don’t mind the Drury move, but would definitely prefer a 2nd. Drury should go for the best offer on the table.

As for signings, that’s a bit high on Meier, probably shouldn’t be going over 8mil, and maybe at most 8.5mil. Would love to get Soucy, but you might as well go for either Dumba or Clifton to replace Pesce’s spot, rather than playing Soucy on his off side. Really like the OEL pickup, and hopefully it would work out, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t have my doubts. Canes definitely need to have an insurance goalie.

Thanks for feedback.

I thought Mitts predominately played C with BUF? May be wrong. If that’s the case there’s probably better alternatives. Figured he might be a nice option for 3C but admittedly don’t know a ton about his game, but he did stand out when I watched BUF last year.

On Meier I figured I’d rather overpay a bit than underpay on here to at least have a meaningful dialogue. I also think that if he doesn’t sign in NJD realistically he’d be looking for a deal like this, but that’s not necessarily our MO either. I think he’d be worth the slight overpay in a trade and a deal, and yes the trade included the signing here.

Agree on Drury, get a second if you can.

My thought process on D was it’s a flexible grouping. OEL could be a nice cheap find who could run our PP2 and eat sheltered minutes. I thought Soucy was comfortable playing offside but may be wrong. I like his game though so would be nice to include him somehow.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jun. 21, 2023 at 11:06 p.m.
Fair, I guess I see it this was:
2 firsts > 1 first 1 second
2nd+Gunler = 2 prospects given up
Turbo > Zetterlund

Plus I think you guys sent some smaller stuff back to SJS but probably to make contracts work.

Sj retained half of timos contract and we gave up a conditional first next year which was if we made the ECF or if timo played in x amount of playoff games we would release our first. Your counter is a reasonable offer but he’s not leaving NJ especially to a rival!
vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 22, 2023 at 12:11 a.m.
Thanks for feedback.

I thought Mitts predominately played C with BUF? May be wrong. If that’s the case there’s probably better alternatives. Figured he might be a nice option for 3C but admittedly don’t know a ton about his game, but he did stand out when I watched BUF last year.

On Meier I figured I’d rather overpay a bit than underpay on here to at least have a meaningful dialogue. I also think that if he doesn’t sign in NJD realistically he’d be looking for a deal like this, but that’s not necessarily our MO either. I think he’d be worth the slight overpay in a trade and a deal, and yes the trade included the signing here.

Agree on Drury, get a second if you can.

My thought process on D was it’s a flexible grouping. OEL could be a nice cheap find who could run our PP2 and eat sheltered minutes. I thought Soucy was comfortable playing offside but may be wrong. I like his game though so would be nice to include him somehow.

Mitts plays both LW and C. He was our #1C at the end of the season. He took 736 faceoffs. He's very flexible as he could play on any of the top 3 lines.

I don't know about giving up the 2nd in this exchange.

Mitts <> Pesce straight up is interesting. You might be able to get a later round draft pick as well.

BUF really likes Mitts and he is just entering his prime, so I don't think they are looking to move him, but we could really use a Pescce. Mitts could be a point per game player next year and plays a good 2-way game. He would have been 3rd in points among Fs on the Canes last year.
gretzkyghosts and vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 22, 2023 at 12:42 a.m.
Moosetache

You gave up nothing close to Necas, get real
Jun. 22, 2023 at 2:35 a.m.
Could get more value out of Pesce. Mitts likely won’t have nearly as much success in Carolina as he just had in Buffalo, and he isn’t a C.

Mitts sure looked good at Center when Tage Thompson was hurt down the stretch- he was GREAT as the fill in at 1C
And Center was his natural position coming up
Being versatile enough to play the wing doesn’t mean he can’t play Center, we just have a TON of them
Cozens is a better 2way player, so it made sense that Mitts played on his wing as opposed to the other way around

Saying he “isn’t a Center” is ludicrous though
He’s quite capable
Jun. 22, 2023 at 2:37 a.m.
Pesce would likely be of interest to us

Idk that we’d wanna move Mitts, but we also have a lot of Centers on our roster & 3 more coming soon, so it’s certainly a possibility imo
gretzkyghosts and vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 22, 2023 at 6:06 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Quoting: homiedaclown
Mitts sure looked good at Center when Tage Thompson was hurt down the stretch- he was GREAT as the fill in at 1C
And Center was his natural position coming up
Being versatile enough to play the wing doesn’t mean he can’t play Center, we just have a TON of them
Cozens is a better 2way player, so it made sense that Mitts played on his wing as opposed to the other way around

Saying he “isn’t a Center” is ludicrous though
He’s quite capable

I guess I should have amended my statement to be that he is more suited to the wing. I mean, of all the Buffalo games I watched last year, he was always on the wing and never at C.
Jun. 22, 2023 at 8:03 a.m.
Quoting: Moosetache
You gave up nothing close to Necas, get real

2 firsts is quite close if not slightly more than Necas, sure the players we sent back werent up to par with him but sending draft capital sure helps when trading.
Jun. 22, 2023 at 8:12 a.m.
2 firsts is quite close if not slightly more than Necas, sure the players we sent back werent up to par with him but sending draft capital sure helps when trading.

I get that but I also included 2 firsts in the offer
Jun. 22, 2023 at 8:13 a.m.
I get that but I also included 2 firsts in the offer

Since its a division rival trade thats why the price would be inflated drastically, Timo came from a team we play twice a year.
Jun. 22, 2023 at 8:16 a.m.
Since its a division rival trade thats why the price would be inflated drastically, Timo came from a team we play twice a year.

I really think that’s overblown and a media/fan narrative tbh. GMs are going to take the best deal and if that’s clearly the best offer (might not be) they’ll take it.
Jun. 22, 2023 at 8:20 a.m.
I really think that’s overblown and a media/fan narrative tbh. GMs are going to take the best deal and if that’s clearly the best offer (might not be) they’ll take it.

I mean we would be giving a rival an elite power forward that we would have to face 4x a year, plus with playoff implications on the line. Not overblown whatsoever.
Jun. 22, 2023 at 8:23 a.m.
I mean we would be giving a rival an elite power forward that we would have to face 4x a year, plus with playoff implications on the line. Not overblown whatsoever.

So if COL was the second best deal and offered you a first a second and a decent prospect, versus this offer you’d take the COL offer?
Jun. 22, 2023 at 8:29 a.m.
So if COL was the second best deal and offered you a first a second and a decent prospect, versus this offer you’d take the COL offer?

need more specifics than "a decent prospect" also three way trades appear to be on the rise for notable players, perhaps another team can get involved and we can maximize our return for Timo.

Bottom line - we arent trading Timo lol he's made it clear he wants an 8 year deal to stay in NJ.
Jun. 22, 2023 at 8:36 a.m.
need more specifics than "a decent prospect" also three way trades appear to be on the rise for notable players, perhaps another team can get involved and we can maximize our return for Timo.

Bottom line - we arent trading Timo lol he's made it clear he wants an 8 year deal to stay in NJ.

Oluasson for sake of argument. And I get that the situation isn’t likely and the hope is he extends in NJD. Just for the purposes of this acgm is what I’m talking about. It is a fantasy site essentially lol
Jun. 22, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
I guess I should have amended my statement to be that he is more suited to the wing. I mean, of all the Buffalo games I watched last year, he was always on the wing and never at C.

And i explained exactly why
Is he as good at center as Cozens? No
But we wanted to keep him in the top6,
and he’s more than capable at Center

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll