LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:07 p.m.
Habs 7th round 1983
Tell me again what's in it for Montreal?
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:12 p.m.
Flames gladly accept
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:13 p.m.
Quoting: VladislavTretiak
Tell me again what's in it for Montreal?

They're already using LTIR so literally two 5ths for nothing but cash?
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
Quoting: DontTradeDougie
Flames gladly accept

Perfect! Huge upgrade at D and a forward more suited for the playoffs who was almost on par with Nylander's regular season production from last year to go with almost 3 mil in cap space!
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:17 p.m.
Quoting: Affectionate_Side_64
Perfect! Huge upgrade at D and a forward more suited for the playoffs who was almost on par with Nylander's regular season production from last year to go with almost 3 mil in cap space!

Lol ok boomer
Leafsfan7788 liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
Habs 7th round 1983
They're already using LTIR so literally two 5ths for nothing but cash?

We have more 5th round pick equivalent prospects in our pipeline than we can chew.

If it's only about a cash disbursement I'm sure Toronto can afford it. But the problem is you don't know if he will be healthy or not, and you want to get rid of that risk. That's worth much more than 2 x 5th.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:20 p.m.
Lol ok boomer

So much substance to this reply that I don't even know where to begin. We could always leave Willy's 7 mil cap hit on the de facto 3rd line for the playoffs and watch him go -4 (this means he lost his matchup despite ROR and Matthews getting the 1st and 2nd most difficult forward lines). I should be more progressive seeing how much success that has brought the team!
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:21 p.m.
Quoting: VladislavTretiak
We have more 5th round pick equivalent prospects in our pipeline than we can chew.

If it's only about a cash disbursement I'm sure Toronto can afford it. But the problem is you don't know if he will be healthy or not, and you want to get rid of that risk. That's worth much more than 2 x 5th.

We know that he won't be healthy, it's been made incredibly clear. Scrap that trade if it bothers you so much, Toronto can use the LTIR instead.
VladislavTretiak liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
Moo-kama-doo-lin
Whats the advantage for SJ here. Reminding you that 3rd round picks have about a 12 % chance of making the NHL with an average development time of 3-5 years while only about 2% of those actually become NHL regulars and .03% become impact players. So for taking on nearly 5 mil on a broken goalie has-been that is SJ’s reward.

No thanks.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
Quoting: Brian_O_Blivion
Whats the advantage for SJ here. Reminding you that 3rd round picks have about a 12 % chance of making the NHL with an average development time of 3-5 years while only about 2% of those actually become NHL regulars and .03% become impact players. So for taking on nearly 5 mil on a broken goalie has-been that is SJ’s reward.

No thanks.

It's literally a free pick that costs you 0 assets to acquire but sure, great asset management on your part. That will be the going rate for one year of Murray, if SJ doesn't take it someone else will and worse case we can just buy him out, The fact this is the trade you decided to zone in on makes me feel I've done a pretty good job.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:40 p.m.
So much substance to this reply that I don't even know where to begin. We could always leave Willy's 7 mil cap hit on the de facto 3rd line for the playoffs and watch him go -4 (this means he lost his matchup despite ROR and Matthews getting the 1st and 2nd most difficult forward lines). I should be more progressive seeing how much success that has brought the team!

We can get a lot more of a return for Willy - especially if it comes with an 8 year extension
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:42 p.m.
Hawks decline. Seth isn't waiving to play in Canada. The Hawks aren't going to retain over $10m. And that package doesn't get Seth anyway.
OldNYIfan and Garak liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan7788
We can get a lot more of a return for Willy - especially if it comes with an 8 year extension

I disagree. A guy who will be getting 9-10 mil until he's 35 who just put up his first PPG and 40 goal season and who you need to shelter in the playoffs due to his defensive incompetence is not worth as much as you want to believe. Yes, we all know how pretty he looks with the puck on his stick. Fewer of us seem to recognize how ugly he looks without it. Also, Hanifin is a legit top pairing defenseman.

There is a clear disconnect in our evaluation of players so lets just agree to disagree instead of kicking off another circular argument where you end up claiming I'm some ignorant boomer.
OldNYIfan and soooonk liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
In my opinion, Nylander for Toffoli and Hanifin is the framework that makes the best sense for both teams. What would have to be added to flesh out the deal, and whether this ever comes to pass, remain to be seen.
soooonk liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 7:50 p.m.
Quoting: Hawksguy81
Hawks decline. Seth isn't waiving to play in Canada. The Hawks aren't going to retain over $10m. And that package doesn't get Seth anyway.

I disagree that Jones wouldn't waive to move to a much better team but neither of us can confirm that either way. Assuming he would, what package do you think it would take? He certainly doesn't seem to fit the Hawks timeline and his value to them will only continue to decline.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 8:04 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
In my opinion, Nylander for Toffoli and Hanifin is the framework that makes the best sense for both teams. What would have to be added to flesh out the deal, and whether this ever comes to pass, remain to be seen.

Agreed. I do think my trade proposal is close and makes sense for both teams given their timelines; what would need to be added around the fringes is up for debate.
OldNYIfan and soooonk liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 8:04 p.m.
I disagree that Jones wouldn't waive to move to a much better team but neither of us can confirm that either way. Assuming he would, what package do you think it would take? He certainly doesn't seem to fit the Hawks timeline and his value to them will only continue to decline.

When Jones was traded out of Columbus, he specifically said he wouldn't accept a trade to any of the 7 teams in Canada. Not sure why he'd change his mind two years later. Hawks certainly wouldn't take less than what they gave up to get him - two 1st's, a 2nd and a former 1st round D prospect. And with $10m in retention, probably another 1st and 2nd at least. But I honestly don't think Seth is a guy the Hawks even look to trade in the next 3 or 4 seasons unless Seth requests a trade. He plays huge minutes, plays in all situations, and is the only Hawks D man who provides consistent offense from the blue line. He's the Hawks Morgan Reilly.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.
When Jones was traded out of Columbus, he specifically said he wouldn't accept a trade to any of the 7 teams in Canada. Not sure why he'd change his mind two years later. Hawks certainly wouldn't take less than what they gave up to get him - two 1st's, a 2nd and a former 1st round D prospect. And with $10m in retention, probably another 1st and 2nd at least. But I honestly don't think Seth is a guy the Hawks even look to trade in the next 3 or 4 seasons unless Seth requests a trade. He plays huge minutes, plays in all situations, and is the only Hawks D man who provides consistent offense from the blue line. He's the Hawks Morgan Reilly.

Well I think the covid restrictions at the border are pretty relevant here as this was 2 years ago. Given that these restrictions are no longer a factor, I don't think there's much difference with regards to quality of life between Chicago and Toronto; you guys are literally across the lake. He also signed that deal expecting the Hawks to be much more competitive than they are before the fire-sale that landed you guys Bedard.

As a result of this fire-sale the most optimistic of timelines would have you guys beginning to compete in 4 years, at which point he'll be a 32 year old D man making 9.5 mil against the cap. A lot has happened since you acquired him (including a decline in his play that makes it clear he is not worth the contract he was awarded) that makes the apples to apples comparison between then and now irrelevant.

Yes you will be worse in the short term without him, but we are on two different timelines and the value is relative. If you choose not to retain now then he'll become a negative value asset for you down the road; a top 4 D, potential top 6 winger and 1st round pick would not.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 8:21 p.m.
Well I think the covid restrictions at the border are pretty relevant here as this was 2 years ago. Given that these restrictions are no longer a factor, I don't think there's much difference with regards to quality of life between Chicago and Toronto; you guys are literally across the lake. He also signed that deal expecting the Hawks to be much more competitive than they are before the fire-sale that landed you guys Bedard.

As a result of this fire-sale the most optimistic of timelines would have you guys beginning to compete in 4 years, at which point he'll be a 32 year old D man making 9.5 mil against the cap. A lot has happened since you acquired him (including a decline in his play that makes it clear he is not worth the contract he was awarded) that makes the apples to apples comparison between then and now irrelevant.

Yes you will be worse in the short term without him, but we are on two different timelines and the value is relative. If you choose not to retain now then he'll become a negative value asset for you down the road; a top 4 D, potential top 6 winger and 1st round pick would not.

I stand on my original post. Hawks would decline this offer without any hesitation.
CoachQ liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 8:25 p.m.
I stand on my original post. Hawks would decline this offer without any hesitation.

You seem to be forgetting you might be the worst team in the league and that he is a 28 year old defenseman failing to live up to a 9.5 mil contract. I think you have the bedard-coloured glasses on; if your management team is at all competent then they will not. Appreciate the feedback either way.
Jun. 25, 2023 at 11:06 a.m.

Go sip some laker lager in your garage and yell at your tv about not having enough truculence
Jun. 25, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
Go sip some laker lager in your garage and yell at your tv about not having enough truculence

So now competent defense is truculence? Your reply is a perfect example of how out to lunch you truly are. For 6 straight years the formula for playoff success has been rubbed in our faces; big, mobile defense cores and tight checking forwards that collapse around the net and control the limited space that's afforded in the playoffs. This age old theory that you build from the net out that we keep proving wrong with our massive investment in the forward core.

We can simply fill out the rest of the roster with league min contracts like Thornton, Simmonds, Gaudette, Vesey, Spezza, Aston-Reese, Malgin, Hunt, Galchenyuk..

When the trade deadline rolls around again and we need to make our yearly trade for a defensive center we just spend futures on rentals like Foligno and ROR. The we make the yearly additions to our D core with guys like Lyubushkin or Schenn playing on the top pair, or spending futures for 38 year old Gio and McCabe in hopes they'll turn us into a defensive powerhouse overnight.

When we need to address our goaltending we'll trade futures for a career backup in Campbell and sign a backup level goalie in Mrazek to supplement him, going on to have the 28th worst goaltending stats in the regular season and a sub 900% in the playoffs.

Then we'll add assets to dump Mrazek, let Campbell walk, and sign another injury prone goaltender to be our starter who won't even play in the playoffs and who we'll need to trade away with assets again. We'll be lucky enough to have Samsonov fall into our lap, only to post a second straight season with a sub 900%.

We'll let a legitimate starter and our best goaltender since Belfour walk for nothing to the canes, just as we got nothing in return for Hyman and Kadri (too much truculence).

And it will all be worth it because it will allow us to have a 7 million dollar winger getting outscored in a 3rd line matchup, allowing us to score 2, 1, 1, 0 and 1 goals in the games we were eliminated in over each of the last 5 years.

One of the most entertaining things in the world is watching complete morons act like they're the intelligent ones. Just going to sit back with my lager and enjoy the show!
Jun. 25, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
So now competent defense is truculence? Your reply is a perfect example of how out to lunch you truly are. For 6 straight years the formula for playoff success has been rubbed in our faces; big, mobile defense cores and tight checking forwards that collapse around the net and control the limited space that's afforded in the playoffs. This age old theory that you build from the net out that we keep proving wrong with our massive investment in the forward core.

We can simply fill out the rest of the roster with league min contracts like Thornton, Simmonds, Gaudette, Vesey, Spezza, Aston-Reese, Malgin, Hunt, Galchenyuk..

When the trade deadline rolls around again and we need to make our yearly trade for a defensive center we just spend futures on rentals like Foligno and ROR. The we make the yearly additions to our D core with guys like Lyubushkin or Schenn playing on the top pair, or spending futures for 38 year old Gio and McCabe in hopes they'll turn us into a defensive powerhouse overnight.

When we need to address our goaltending we'll trade futures for a career backup in Campbell and sign a backup level goalie in Mrazek to supplement him, going on to have the 28th worst goaltending stats in the regular season and a sub 900% in the playoffs.

Then we'll add assets to dump Mrazek, let Campbell walk, and sign another injury prone goaltender to be our starter who won't even play in the playoffs and who we'll need to trade away with assets again. We'll be lucky enough to have Samsonov fall into our lap, only to post a second straight season with a sub 900%.

We'll let a legitimate starter and our best goaltender since Belfour walk for nothing to the canes, just as we got nothing in return for Hyman and Kadri (too much truculence).

And it will all be worth it because it will allow us to have a 7 million dollar winger getting outscored in a 3rd line matchup, allowing us to score 2, 1, 1, 0 and 1 goals in the games we were eliminated in over each of the last 5 years.

One of the most entertaining things in the world is watching complete morons act like they're the intelligent ones. Just going to sit back with my lager and enjoy the show!

No chance I'm ever reading all that. Happy for you though
Jun. 25, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
No chance I'm ever reading all that. Happy for you though

Yeah I figured it would be too much for you. Of course we both know you did read it, had no response for it, and decided your best play was to pretend you can't read that many words. Floyd Mayweather is that you? I'll try to add pictures next time to make it easier on you.

Thanks for your reply!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll