Forums/Mock-Draft

Comparing to My Mock and Grading Real World Results

Comparing to My Mock and Grading Real World Results

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: areax91
Published: Jun. 29, 2023 at 1:15 a.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-No surprise. Grade: A Mock Draft: #1
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-I knew the Ducks were going to be wooed by his stellar WC. Time will tell if it was the right pick to go for need over BPA, but makes sense if you already have Zegras and Terry. Grade: B Mock Draft: #2
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-As a Sharks fan, I'm bummed a bit that Fantilli fell no further. But he wants to be in Ohio, and he'd be a really good center for Gaudreau and Laine. Nice pick up, Jarmo. Grade: S Mock Draft: #4 (+1)
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-For all the reports re: CBJ and Will, I thought they would've gone for him instead. Nonetheless, I've warmed up to his game and honestly we need a Zegras-like dynamo in our Top 6. Gecko and Fresh Prince does sound awesome, come to think of it. Grade: A Mock Draft: #3 (-1)
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The best defenseman in the draft... but how come Montreal didn't go for Michkov or Dvorsky? Time will tell how he fits in with the Habs' blueline (and whether he'd get over Carey flubbing his name lol). Grade: B- Mock Draft: #6 (+1)
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-The first surprise of the night, and unfortunately the first whiff. I get they want a lockdown D, but they need a Chychrun replacement not a defensive D. No idea how this makes the Yotes' blueline better contribute to their PP, but time will tell. Grade: D Mock Draft: #20 (+14)
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-We all knew Michkov was falling, but its Broad Street that decided to take the plunge. Lots of risk given he's not available til 2026 and the recent political situation. Lets hope he doesn't suffer Fedotov's fate. Grade: B+ Mock Draft: #8 (+1)
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-Would've been a better fit at Philly, but Leonard is a solid choice. He should be able to start contributing to Caps' Top 6 in a few years and they can keep a good eye on his development in NCAA. Good pick. Grade: A- Mock Draft: #7 (-1)
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit went for a C, which would be fine if he can translate as a winger in the NHL level. As it stands, he's walking into a C logjam with Kasper and Larkin being higher in the pecking order. Yzerman makes up for this later in the draft but for now, I think this is a miss. Mediocre choice at best. Grade: C- Mock Draft: #19 (+10)
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-I was surprised that Dvorsky fell to #10, but he'd be a great fit for the Blues. His skill-set translates to a good two-way center. He’s going to be a solid third-line center at worst, but he looks like another Phillip Danault waiting to happen. Great value and a good pick. Grade: A Mock Draft: #5 (-5)
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-I would've gone for ASP, but I can see why Willlander was Vancouver's choice. He's going to play for BU in the NCAA rather than SHL, so this will buy Vancouver time to get their cap act together and monitor his development. Grade B Mock Draft: #18 (+7)
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsWhat the hell are the Yotes smoking? They could have easily traded down to the 20s and still have But available. This is a huge reach for a winger with clear flaws in his game. Is it any wonder why the Yotes are such a mess of a franchise?! Grade: F Mock Draft: #22 (+10)
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-This, along with ASP to Detroit and Perreault to NYR, are the steals of the draft. Benson may be all offense but he was second only to Bedard in terms of production in the WHL and he should be ready to come over to the AHL this season and perhaps the Sabres' full time if his preseason goes well. Grade: S Mock Draft: #11 (-2)
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Right where he should be. His game is one with the analytics nerds, and he marks the true first step of Dubas' reign. Not surprising, good pick. Grade: B Mock Draft: #14
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-An honorable mention to the steal category. May not have a game-changing ceiling like some other prospects, but his skill set suggests he can help Nashville in their 2nd line down the road. Now if only they can properly develop their forwards at the same level and quality as their defensemen and goalies... Grade: A Mock Draft: #10 (-5)
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-"We want Slafkovsky!" "We have Slafkovsky at home." In all seriousness, he was solid with Vancouver in juniors, but they could've gotten Perreault instead for his position. Grade: C- Mock Draft: #21 (+5)
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersA grand slam of a pick. Seider needs help in the blue line and he gets it with Sandin Pellikka. Along with Benson, this is one hell of a steal. Grade: S Mock Draft: #9 (-8)
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Unlucky to not be picked in the top half of the draft class. Solid contributor in the CHL and he should be given a long leash to develop into a leader the Jets desperately need in their locker room. Grade: A- Mock Draft: #12 (-6)
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningWith Hall and Bedard, I'm not sure if there will be room for Moore unless he converts into a winger. That said, great skating, elite speed, and versatile play makes him a solid selection. Good use of Tampa's 1st round. Grade: B+ Mock Draft: 13 (-6)
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-An overlooked winger who could be a good addition to the Kraken's mid-6. May not be the biggest name in their youth movement, but they already have Beniers and Kartye holding down the fort so there will be no pressure on Sale. Low risk, high reward, yeah solid choice. Grade: B+ Mock Draft: #17 (-3)
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Massive reach for a bottom-6 projected player. And not one that is going to help Kaprizov and Boldy whatsoever. Swing and a miss, I'm afraid. Grade: D Mock Draft: Undrafted in 1st round
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles KingsAfter getting Michkov at a discount, Flyers proceed to get Bonk... who could've been available had the Flyers traded down with someone like the Avs or the Leafs. I understand they want an offensive D to replace TDA, but I think they jumped the gun on him. Grade: C- Mock Draft: #27 (+5)
23Logo of the New York Rangers-Best winger available, and one who can be developed over a long term. I was shocked to see him still available at that point, and he will use his time in NCAA to become a big contributor on the wings. Wouldn't it be ironic if he turns out to be a bigger name for NY than Kakko or Laf are or ever will be? Grade: S Mock Draft: #16 (+7)
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersSo Trotz and Poile did good with Wood... and then they made a massive reach for Molendyk. I understand they need more forward prospects but he isn't the answer they need. Woof. Grade: D- Mock Draft: Undrafted in 1st round
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsBest player available, and one who can develop long-term for the Blues. He'll need time in the cooker, but he sounds like a promising add in STL's center pool. Great pick. Grade: A Mock Draft: #15 (-10)
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsI would've gone for Hrabal here, but having seen more of his tape, I'm now convinced that Musty can be a great fit for SJ's mid 6. He's exciting to see in the CHL, and his game should create great chemistry with guys like Gushchin and Bordeleau with the Cuda. Not bad Mike, not bad at all. Grade: A- Mock Draft: #30 (+4)
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-I understand the Avs are in no pressure to add to their prospect pool, but Edstrom and Cristall were still available. This is a reach, and one that I'm not sure will translate all that well at the NHL level. Only time will tell but for now I think this is a miss. Grade: D+ Mock Draft: Undrafted in 1st round.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsThe Leafs choose the project route, and it's one I'm not wholly convinced by. His competitiveness and grit willed the Knights during the OHL season and he did grow into the season, but will he be able to handle Toronto's pressure? And will his play translate into another Travis Konecny as his scouting reports suggest? Will have to check back on him in a few years. Grade: C Mock Draft: Undrafted in 1st round.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas StarsBlues should've chosen Gulyayev if they wanted best defenseman available, but I can see why Lindstein was their choice instead. Could shape up if given the right environment. No surprises, really. Grade: B Mock Draft: #29
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Not as bad of a reach as some players in the 1st round, but a reach nonetheless. He will be going to NCAA this upcoming season, so we'll see if he can overcome size concerns and deliver offensively for Maine. Not a huge deal if he's a dud though. Grade: C+ Mock Draft: Undrafted in 1st round.
31Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Florida PanthersBest defenseman available, and a solid choice that could take all the time he needs in Russia and in the AHL. A long-term project, sure but definitely one that makes up for Ritchie. Grade: B+ Mock Draft: #28 (+3)
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Sneaky, sneaky for Vegas. Edstrom's game can translate to a 2nd to 3rd line center, and he could grow into the role whether in the SHL or in Henderson. Will he be around long enough before he inevitably gets traded out of the Knights? Now that's an entirely different question for another time. Grade: B+ Mock Draft: #25 (-7)
Jun. 29, 2023 at 1:26 a.m.
Appreciate the thought and effort into this!

Molendyk is a bit of a reach, but he's a very good skater. My guess is Trotz wanted more mobile defenders on the back end, and he could eventually get mentored by Josi. His offensive game needs work but the upside is there. Gonna be exciting to see how him and Wood pan out.
areax91 and AK50 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 1:46 a.m.
Master of Bloodsport
This draft tells me the Yotes are either not trying at all or completely misguided in how to build an organization that can win in the next 50 years.
areax91 and Ennis liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 2:12 a.m.
Quoting: Ennis
Appreciate the thought and effort into this!

Molendyk is a bit of a reach, but he's a very good skater. My guess is Trotz wanted more mobile defenders on the back end, and he could eventually get mentored by Josi. His offensive game needs work but the upside is there. Gonna be exciting to see how him and Wood pan out.

Thanks! Makes sense they would want a mobile defenseman and one thing Nashville does very well is in developing defensemen at the NHL level. I do think getting their forward situation should've been their #1 priority but I could be proven wrong in my assessment. Regardless, it's gonna be fun to see how guys that are projects and reaches in this class turn out in the coming years.
Ennis and AK50 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:04 a.m.
JT Miller for Hart
Nice work on this. Must have taken a while.

Agree with you on Molendyk, I don't think he was the guy to choose in the 1st round. The smart move would be to trade down if we wanted to select him. I do think the Preds need defense prospects. We have Stastney developing well and I think he'd be a fantastic replacement for McDonagh when he leaves the team(either by trade, FA or retirement). But we don't have a notable offensive defenseman that can fill the void Josi will leave. I thought Matthew Wood was a great pick(I predicted it correctly surprisingly).
Now I'm also a Canucks fan and I am delighted with the fact that we picked up Willander. We need defensive defensemen on that right side and he checks that box. I wish we kept the pick we got in the Bo Horvat trade(ironically used to draft ASP), then we could've had Sweden's top pair reunited at the NHL level. I'd probably bump it to a B+/A- but that's just me.
areax91 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
Evans truther
-Do people know that maybe Michkov simply didn't gave the impression he wanted to come to Montreal like it was reported for Vegas? Russian's love their big apple and it was reported that he had a couple meetings with Philly saying he'd like to be there, the kid chose where he wanted to go.

-Cowan is 100% recency bias and a GM not having the reins on his draft. Kid started hockey late and didn't break any leagues he was in when younger, now he has a a passable season and a great playoff run so he's a first rounder? Even Treliving didn't look thrilled in his post pick interview on draft floor saying "When I got there (Toronto) the scouts loved the kid so we picked him", does that sound like a guy who just got his guy as a first pick with his new team? Yikes.

-Not excited by the Arizona picks BUT if there's one thing you can like about it, it's easier to get a Russian to come over to play for your team if you also draft his friend and teammate. They like the kids and knew that only getting one would mean difficulty bringing him over, but with a pair they'll have better odds.

- Comparing Dvorsky to Danault and being happy that you picked him in the top 10 shouldn't go together. It took Danault 5 years to become an NHL regular and 7 years to be a top 6 center, if I pick top in 2023 I expect a much better outcome than having a top 6 center in 2030 to be honest. Benson or Wood would've made sense, hell Benson looked better than Savoie this year! If he can put up some muscle, you get a 5'10" rock that skates, now you're hoing for something better than a third line center with Dalibor.
areax91 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
here is somme food for thoughs about who is a good pick and who is not :

how do we grade usually if a pick is good or not? i would say that its related to our expactation on who a team is going to draft and that would be built around by mock draft by '' experts ''. so if a pick is way off the board and unexpected, we would think its a bad pick (as the one with arizona). in reality, what is a.mock draft? its pretty much just what someone will try to predict with information they have or not : positional needs by organisation, leeked information by insiders source, etc. sometime you have a lot of info, sometimes not at all, sometimes a Gm intesret is leaked way before the draft and everyone knows the pick in advance. now, where am i getting with this : i bet that if 3 months ago, something was leaked that arizona really liked simashev, experts whould have started to put him at number 6 and everyone would have slowly expected him to be there and reacted way less.about the pick. what we are really reacting about his how unexpected it is. for MTL in the past few years, Kk and slaf were way off the boards pick 3 months in advance but so much buzz was created before that it.didnt seem that much weird of a pick come.draft day. and its not like arizona is the kind of place to create a lot of buzz.

anyway, this text is probably way too long already, but i think what you did id very interesting!
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:34 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
Quoting: drambui
here is somme food for thoughs about who is a good pick and who is not :

how do we grade usually if a pick is good or not? i would say that its related to our expactation on who a team is going to draft and that would be built around by mock draft by '' experts ''. so if a pick is way off the board and unexpected, we would think its a bad pick (as the one with arizona). in reality, what is a.mock draft? its pretty much just what someone will try to predict with information they have or not : positional needs by organisation, leeked information by insiders source, etc. sometime you have a lot of info, sometimes not at all, sometimes a Gm intesret is leaked way before the draft and everyone knows the pick in advance. now, where am i getting with this : i bet that if 3 months ago, something was leaked that arizona really liked simashev, experts whould have started to put him at number 6 and everyone would have slowly expected him to be there and reacted way less.about the pick. what we are really reacting about his how unexpected it is. for MTL in the past few years, Kk and slaf were way off the boards pick 3 months in advance but so much buzz was created before that it.didnt seem that much weird of a pick come.draft day. and its not like arizona is the kind of place to create a lot of buzz.

anyway, this text is probably way too long already, but i think what you did id very interesting!

Good point, feel it's also the history of the league they play in(OHL, WHL, SHL, BCHL, etc.) and the points they put up as that data is used to predict that player's potential. That's why some picks are flops. I sort of base my perceptions of a good/bad pick off what the team needs(eg. Canucks need Wallinder to fill our void of a two-way RHD, Nashville needing more power forwards(RW was looking a little sparse(body-wsie)so they draft Matthew Wood).
drambui liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 9:39 a.m.
Bedard23
Moore won’t be in the NHL for like 2 years and by then Hall’s contract expires so he could easily slot into the wing

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll