Forums/Armchair-GM

Reinbacher IS sexy

Created by: jonh514
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 29, 2023
Published: Jun. 29, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know a lot of you out there in Habs land are disappointed. I've seen the posts here and on Twitter. But I really think you are all thinking about this backwards.

Do you know what our GM did over the past 2 days? He gave a HUGE vote of confidence to his core players. Basically he said, "I think I can win with you, so I'm gonna assemble you a cast of supporting characters who can help you get there ASAP".

He brought in a Center in Newhook who is 22 years old and who he believes will pop and score 60 points either at center or wing. Not in 3-5 years... Right now, next season.

He brought in a RHD who he believes will be playing on our team in 1 year and on our top pair in 3. Rather than gambling on Michkov, who might be a locker room cancer, who might not ever play in Montreal, who might skip steps in his development and never learn to play defense, he plugged the biggest hole in our organizational depth with a player who some scouts think will be better than Seider!

You think he didn't anticipate that you all would be disappointed? You think he didn't know that you all wanted him to pick a forward like Michkov? Of course he knew, but he also knows that his job is to put together a team that can win in the playoffs. That means Stanley Cup experience (Newhook - check!). That means Elite Defense and some offense from the blue line (Reinbacher - check!)

Admittedly the names Newhook & Reinbacher are not as sexy as Dubois and Michkov. They don't ring the same in your ears. They are not the drum the media has been beating for the last 9 months. But take a breath listen again... You might just hear the same song I've been hearing since last night. You might just hear the names ....Marchessault & Pietrangelo.... Sounds pretty hot to me!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,250,000
3$1,750,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$69,513,333$1,170,000$4,210,000$13,986,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:33 a.m.
HabsFan
Yhea I hear you... but at 5 OA I do believe Reinbacher would be available at 7 or 8... saying this I do understand the risk as Az took Shimashev right after...
I was hoping some smokes at the draft from different team... like MTL with Phily as we all know that Michkov was the target.... Briere going to trade up 2 spot with a package for Hart: Harris, Farrel, 5OA for 7 OA + Hart. At least it would have been fun! So basically MTL decided to be competitive starting in 2024 not 2026 anymore... so we need a big trade IN to take an extra step.
KentMcNally and jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:35 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: TheDuminator
Yhea I hear you... but at 5 OA I do believe Reinbacher would be available at 7 or 8... saying this I do understand the risk as Az took Shimashev right after...
I was hoping some smokes at the draft from different team... like MTL with Phily as we all know that Michkov was the target.... Briere going to trade up 2 spot with a package for Hart: Harris, Farrel, 5OA for 7 OA + Hart. At least it would have been fun! So basically MTL decided to be competitive starting in 2024 not 2026 anymore... so we need a big trade IN to take an extra step.

Starting in 2024-25 they are expecting to be in the playoffs every year is how I read it. They will free up cap just by not resigning players after this season and then they can hit the UFA market in 2024. Sounds perfect to me.
TheDuminator liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:37 a.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: jonh514
Starting in 2024-25 they are expecting to be in the playoffs every year is how I read it. They will free up cap just by not resigning players after this season and then they can hit the UFA market in 2024. Sounds perfect to me.

who would you target then...?
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:40 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
who would you target then...?

Aho if available. Aho all day. If he's not available, Nylander or Reinhart.
GMBL liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:43 a.m.
Fall River Habs
My concern (as the original poster knows) with the way they handled the draft is that they did not get the extra assets in a trade. Tom Willander would have been a right hand defenceman available to them at #7, 8 or 9.

My other concern (again as the original poster knows) is that next year's draft is leaning towards having more defensemen available. So if the defense pairings are now hopefully set for the next several years as (1) Guhle-Rienbacher; (2) Hutson-Mailloux/Barron; (3) Harris-Barron/Mailloux and #7 D man being one of Kovacevic, Engstrom or Struble, what does Montreal do next year if they are in the part of the draft where they should take a defenseman because he is the best player available, however, because they took a positional need t his year, they are inclined to take someone else (Like a forward to TRY to fill out the 2nd line) or a goalie (which would be way too early)?

In that situation they are once again going positional need rather than best player available. It has been said by GMs numerous times that BPA is the best way to go, so if Montreal goes with positional need in 2 straight drafts it seems they are going down the wrong road.

Nobody knows for a number of years how this will pan out (on either side of the argument).
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:45 a.m.
Fall River Habs

I do like going after Aho or Nylander if they are available. I doubt Aho will be available, though.
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:46 a.m.

Or maybe Draisaitl the year after could be available if things fall apart in Edmonton. Although, I think if he's testing FA, he's probably ending up in the States or maybe Ottawa if he's intrigued with playing with Stutzle.

Yeah, I think ARZ was definitely taking Reinbacher if available. MTL taking Reinbacher at 5th is similar to NJ taking Nemec 2nd last year. Also, need to consider that, if they do trade back the offer needs to be worth it if they are risking their guy and giving a team like WSH for example a high end player like Michkov.
jonh514 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:50 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: KentMcNally
My concern (as the original poster knows) with the way they handled the draft is that they did not get the extra assets in a trade. Tom Willander would have been a right hand defenceman available to them at #7, 8 or 9.

My other concern (again as the original poster knows) is that next year's draft is leaning towards having more defensemen available. So if the defense pairings are now hopefully set for the next several years as (1) Guhle-Rienbacher; (2) Hutson-Mailloux/Barron; (3) Harris-Barron/Hutson and #7 D man being one of Kovacevic, Engstrom or Struble, what does Montreal do next year if they are in the part of the draft where they should take a defenseman because he is the best player available, however, because they took a positional need t his year, they are inclined to take someone else (Like a forward to TRY to fill out the 2nd line) or a goalie (which would be way too early)?

In that situation they are once again going positional need rather than best player available. It has been said by GMs numerous times that BPA is the best way to go, so if Montreal goes with positional need in 2 straight drafts it seems they are going down the wrong road.

Nobody knows for a number of years how this will pan out (on either side of the argument).

No one knows, but I will tell you what I believe. I believe Briere and Michkov will be golfing together in Moscow in 2024-25 watching the Canadiens eliminate the Leafs in the post-season. You may not believe it, but I'm sure you HOPE I'm right.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:52 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: GMBL
Or maybe Draisaitl the year after could be available if things fall apart in Edmonton. Although, I think if he's testing FA, he's probably ending up in the States or maybe Ottawa if he's intrigued with playing with Stutzle.

Yeah, I think ARZ was definitely taking Reinbacher if available. MTL taking Reinbacher at 5th is similar to NJ taking Nemec 2nd last year. Also, need to consider that, if they do trade back the offer needs to be worth it if they are risking their guy and giving a team like WSH for example a high end player like Michkov.

Totally agree. Imagine they ended up with Detroit's picks. Nothing against Danielson & Sandin-Pellikka, but that does not move the needle for the Habs as much as Newhook & Reinbacher.
GMBL and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:52 a.m.

My other concern (again as the original poster knows) is that next year's draft is leaning towards having more defensemen available. So if the defense pairings are now hopefully set for the next several years as (1) Guhle-Rienbacher; (2) Hutson-Mailloux/Barron; (3) Harris-Barron/Mailloux and #7 D man being one of Kovacevic, Engstrom or Struble, what does Montreal do next year if they are in the part of the draft where they should take a defenseman because he is the best player available, however, because they took a positional need t his year, they are inclined to take someone else (Like a forward to TRY to fill out the 2nd line) or a goalie (which would be way too early)?

To be fair though, if your positional need is a top pairing RD you might as well if you do that.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:54 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
To be fair though, if your positional need is a top pairing RD you might as well if you do that.

I agree. That is a Tomorrow problem. We may move up in that situation to grab a forward. We may trade the pick outright for yet another promising 22 year old under team control for 4-5 more years.
GMBL liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:56 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

FWIW, I like Willander a lot too, especially if he ends up being Hutson's linemate at BU.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.
With the mess of forwards we already have, I actually really like the pick. Safe and boring but still fits perfectly. IF Newhook takes the next leap, Reinbacher develops into what he projects as, and Monty has another good season/better season, Hughes will look like a puppet master.

I hope he's active and we trade up/make some moves today but other than being rather boring, I'd give him a passing grade so far.
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:01 a.m.
Fall River Habs

I do wonder how the Habs view Barron and Mailloux in the ranking of their right defense slots.

Could (1) Guhle-Mailloux + (2) Hutson - Barron + (3) Harris- Xhekaj not have worked for years to come?

If that was the case, then Montreal could have made a trade and still picked up Ryan Leonard or Dalibor Dvorsky in the 7, 8 or 9 slot for their 2nd line and got the additional sweetener of a further draft pick (#17 or #22 perhaps) to get another forward (Perreault or Barlow) or a defenseman (Sandin Pellikka).

It appears that the answer is Montreal does not view Mailloux and Barron as ideal options in the top 2 RHD slots.
michaeldym, jonh514 and GMBL liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:04 a.m.
I post sometimes

The way I see it - KH has shown that he is able to acquire talent on the market. Look at NYR and NJD - they found ways to get some great RFA and UFA - once you get a young core that is great - you can trade some of those young D and those first round pick.

The 2025 and 2026 first round pick will probably be traded to acquire that talent.
jonh514 and michaeldym liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:06 a.m.
Fall River Habs
Quoting: Just_A_Guess
With the mess of forwards we already have, I actually really like the pick. Safe and boring but still fits perfectly. IF Newhook takes the next leap, Reinbacher develops into what he projects as, and Monty has another good season/better season, Hughes will look like a puppet master.

I hope he's active and we trade up/make some moves today but other than being rather boring, I'd give him a passing grade so far.

Do you think Montreal should try to move back in to the 2nd or 3rd round to get Hrabal (or one of the other goalies), a forward or a D-man?

My vote would be to try to get Hrabal.
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:06 a.m.
I do wonder how the Habs view Barron and Mailloux in the ranking of their right defense slots.

Could (1) Guhle-Mailloux + (2) Hutson - Barron + (3) Harris- Xhekaj not have worked for years to come?

If that was the case, then Montreal could have made a trade and still picked up Ryan Leonard or Dalibor Dvorsky in the 7, 8 or 9 slot for their 2nd line and got the additional sweetener of a further draft pick (#17 or #22 perhaps) to get another forward (Perreault or Barlow) or a defenseman (Sandin Pellikka).

It appears that the answer is Montreal does not view Mailloux and Barron as ideal options in the top 2 RHD slots.

I think one of Harris/Wifi aren't in the long term plans, personally I'm moving Harris but maybe we move Engstrom.

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - Barron
Harris/Wifi - Mailloux
Harris/Wifi

Looks pretty good to me for the next ~decade.
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:08 a.m.
Do you think Montreal should try to move back in to the 2nd or 3rd round to get Hrabal (or one of the other goalies), a forward or a D-man?

My vote would be to try to get Hrabal.

I hope he's active today. We have a 3rd and 3 4ths, veteran players we can retain on, and a plethora of fwd & ld prospects. Something has to give.

Hrabal would be great, but there's 3-5 goalies I'd be OKAY with.
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:09 a.m.
Fall River Habs
Quoting: MTLaveragefan
The way I see it - KH has shown that he is able to acquire talent on the market. Look at NYR and NJD - they found ways to get some great RFA and UFA - once you get a young core that is great - you can trade some of those young D and those first round pick.

The 2025 and 2026 first round pick will probably be traded to acquire that talent.

I agree. At some point the draft picks become too much of a far off help and you need to start building the current team by trading picks for players already in the league. I do not think that Montreal is there yet, but hopefully by 2025 and certainly by 2026 (and if they are not in a position to start doing that by 2026 then they have not done a good job of building the roster, in my opinion).
MTLaveragefan and jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:12 a.m.
Lenny7
It's a fine pick. Load up on D when you can. Arizona going off the board was definitely a weirder pick.

I'd imagine at some point you guys get into trade-mode and one of those fine D-prospects get packaged to upgrade up front.

Don't know how I feel about the Newhook trade for you guys, but he's got a solid ceiling even if he didn't look great this year. You're getting an NHLer though vs. a lotto ticket.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:15 a.m.
Bedard23

Had you not taken him, Arizona 1000% takes him
KentMcNally, TheDuminator, Just_A_Guess and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:17 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

Our GM has been incredibly consistent in 2 drafts so far.

1) Pay a premium to acquire an emerging player under team control for another 4-5 years who he can sign to a cap friendly deal
2) Draft a player with Size & Skill who he projects is the BPA to compete in the playoffs, not the regular season

I think he might get a bad grade on drafting, but like he said, there is a 50 contract limit in this league and he's already got a ton of young players he is excited about
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:17 a.m.
Banned
I think HuGo are not only making the team better, but making it more competitive faster.

Who know's what trading up from 31st and selecting Barlow would merit after years of development. But, Newhook is plug in and play with some Dach mystique.

Same at 5th. Reinbacher is already playing pro against men. He's being more productive than Josi was at the same age in the Swiss league. And, has comparisons to Seider. Id don't think we can dismiss this because they hype around Michkov. Furthermore, Reinbacher looks to be NHL ready next year. Whearas, young Dmen usually prime around 24-25 yrs old.

After taking a deep dive into Reinbacher last night. Im feeling better about the pick. We can't dismiss how advanced the rebuild is today. If he was selecting pure prospects we'd be years away from seeing if they were good picks that come to fruition.
TheDuminator and jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:18 a.m.
Fall River Habs
I hope he's active today. We have a 3rd and 3 4ths, veteran players we can retain on, and a plethora of fwd & ld prospects. Something has to give.

Hrabal would be great, but there's 3-5 goalies I'd be OKAY with.

I am curious about where Mesar fits in the plans for their forwards, given his size. I think he needs to be in the top 6 of a team, but I am not sure if he still fits in Montreal's plans, especially given his size, due to the fact they have Caufield, Suzuki, Newhook, Farrell and Kidney.

Caufield Suzuki Slafkovsky
Newhook Dach ???
RHP Beck Roy/Farrell/Kidney

Is Mesar going to be good enough to be on that 2nd line?
Do they go after Nylander (if he goes to free agency or another free agent) to fill out the 2nd line?
Do they package Mesar, Struble and multiple future picks for a player like Konecny or Lafreniere or Dadonov (HA!)?
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:18 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

I dunno. You need internal competition and depth, otherwise guys get too comfortable.
KentMcNally liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll