Forums/Armchair-GM

Reinbacher was their first choice

Created by: jonh514
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 1, 2023
Published: Jul. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The passion some of the Habs fans are showing for Michkov over Reinbacher is nuts. Why is it so hard for some fans to accept that they did not make a choice motivated by fear, they chose the player they believed would get them through 4 playoff series?

Look at the Duchene and Wheeler buyouts yesterday. These are 2 x 55+ point players who were let go, not because they are bad at hockey, not because their teams needed cap space, but because they don't fit the organizational CULTURE those teams want anymore.

So when the Habs kind of let it slip that they chose not to draft Michkov based on Culture, why don't you believe them?

There was locker room drama in SKA that got him sent to Sochi
The Coyotes went on record saying he made them feel like he was not at all interested in coming to Arizona (imagine a draft eligible player saying don't draft me cause I won't come play for you)
Even if he looks like Connor Bedard on offensive plays, he looks like Mike Hoffman on defensive plays

Why are you clamoring to roll out the red carpet for this kid?

I can see a world where whomever is the coach in Philadelphia when he comes over gets fired the first time he benches the kid for not backchecking. That kind of Elite talent is so frustrating. Give me a down to earth kid like Bedard or Crosby over a selfish player who is disinterested in team defense every day of the week.

So happy we finished our D-core! I am so inspired by the courage of HuGo to get Reinbacher & Newhook. These are amazing additions a this team is gonna be so much better with them on board.

GYFHG!!!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
2$1,400,000
1$900,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$68,196,666$1,170,000$4,210,000$15,303,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 1, 2023 at 7:43 a.m.
Habs don't really need more flash, what they need are guys who anchor down the team. I loved the Reinbacher pick for them. Addresses a positional need while also giving you a very steady player. Ask yourself if you would rather have a Jaccob Slavin or a Kyle Connor when you already have Caufield
jonh514, Caufield and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 7:44 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Habs don't really need more flash, what they need are guys who anchor down the team. I loved the Reinbacher pick for them. Addresses a positional need while also giving you a very steady player. Ask yourself if you would rather have a Jaccob Slavin or a Kyle Connor when you already have Caufield

I know my answer!
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:06 a.m.
Habs 2010
Here's an observation regarding the claim that the habs drafted Reinbacher based on "need", I seen a lot of criticism towarsa the habs for this.

Two drafts in a row now the habs have made some interesting choices. In 2022, the majority of people wanted and expected them to draft the C Shane Wright. They chose Juraj Slafkovsky instead, but in another move they traded for potential C Kirby Dach because they still needed a C. So even though Wright fit a positional need, they either seen something they didn't like in Wright or they just hands down preffered Slafkovsky. Now here we are after the 2023 draft, everyone wanted them to draft Michkov and the habs knew Michkov or another top forward would be available to them at 5th overall, but instead they traded for Newhook. Trading for Newhook is an acknowledgement that they need a skilled top 6 forward (even if he has below average size like Michkov). They could have just drafted Michkov instead of trading for Newhook if they wanted to, but for whatever reason (maybe they didn't like Michkov or maybe they just like Reinbacher more) they didn't.

Drafting Reinbacher had nothing to do with positional need, and I feel Hughes words were misunderstood / taken out of context. Saying you might have cooled on Reinbacher if he was left handed is an acknowledgement that they do not need anymore left defenseman (which is true), not that they necessarily need a RD. The habs genuinely believe they selected the best players they could have in Slafkovsky and Reinbacher, trading for Dach when they could have drafted Wright or trading for Newhook when they could have drafted Michkov shows that they were not drafting for need. Whether you agree with their choices or not - no one can deny the habs picked what they believe to be the BPA for their team.
Caufield, jonh514, Just_A_Guess and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:06 a.m.
Reinbacher Josi 2.0
Hughes also basically told everyone he is confident in our attack core. By picking a D, he felt that we definitely have at least 1 85+ point player, if not more. Reinbacher is a really decent pick!
jonh514 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:11 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Shanesaw9
Here's an observation regarding the claim that the habs drafted Reinbacher based on "need", I seen a lot of criticism towarsa the habs for this.

Two drafts in a row now the habs have made some interesting choices. In 2022, the majority of people wanted and expected them to draft the C Shane Wright. They chose Juraj Slafkovsky instead, but in another move they traded for potential C Kirby Dach because they still needed a C. So even though Wright fit a positional need, they either seen something they didn't like in Wright or they just hands down preffered Slafkovsky. Now here we are after the 2023 draft, everyone wanted them to draft Michkov and the habs knew Michkov or another top forward would be available to them at 5th overall, but instead they traded for Newhook. Trading for Newhook is an acknowledgement that they need a skilled top 6 forward (even if he has below average size like Michkov). They could have just drafted Michkov instead of trading for Newhook if they wanted to, but for whatever reason (maybe they didn't like Michkov or maybe they just like Reinbacher more) they didn't.

Drafting Reinbacher had nothing to do with positional need, and I feel Hughes words were misunderstood / taken out of context. Saying you might have cooled on Reinbacher if he was left handed is an acknowledgement that they do not need anymore left defenseman (which is true), not that they necessarily need a RD. The habs genuinely believe they selected the best players they could have in Slafkovsky and Reinbacher, trading for Dach when they could have drafted Wright or trading for Newhook when they could have drafted Michkov shows that they were not drafting for need. Whether you agree with their choices or not - no one can deny the habs picked what they believe to be the BPA for their team.

Really dig your position Shane, thanks for sharing!

I feel like the choices they made 2 years in a row are consistently motivated by 3 principles:

Get the player who will fit in well in the echo chamber that is Quebec.
Prefer the player that will help you make it through the playoffs rather than get you to the playoffs.
Accelerate the rebuild while holding true to your principles and culture.

IMO they have done this very well, and they should be praised, not criticized.
Caufield, Shanesaw9, Just_A_Guess and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:16 a.m.
Reinbacher Josi 2.0
Quoting: jonh514
Really dig your position Shane, thanks for sharing!

I feel like the choices they made 2 years in a row are consistently motivated by 3 principles:

Get the player who will fit in well in the echo chamber that is Quebec.
Prefer the player that will help you make it through the playoffs rather than get you to the playoffs.
Accelerate the rebuild while holding true to your principles and culture.

IMO they have done this very well, and they should be praised, not criticized.

I think they also look at the players who have already the best toolbox and don't need to be taught the "things that can't be learned". Slaf has 100 point toolbox, I doubt he will reach that, but the point stands, Slaf gets taught the right things the right way and he could be a top 5 power forward in the league
jonh514, Shanesaw9 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:58 a.m.
Fall River Habs
I have said many times already that I would have preferred Michkov because of his elite talent (he could be the most talented player on the team). I am also pretty sure that I saw somewhere (not sure where) that Michkov said he recognizes he needs to work on his Defense and will.

For me the other concerning part is the asset management. If Tom Wilander turns out to be roughly as good as Reinbacher then Montreal dropped the ball on trading back and getting additional assets.

Same thing with Newhook vs Ross Colton. Right now there appears to be a lot of disparity in the quality of trades in Montreal-Colorado versus Colorado-Tampa Bay.

But the management has made their decision and us fans have to live with it.

It would be nice if I were a better person and would refuse to say “I told you so” to the Reinbacher supporters if the Michkov pick turns out to be better, BUT. I am definitely holding that “ I told you so” card in my back pocket for a while. However, I won’t be afraid to eat some crow in a few years if the Reinbacher pick works out better than Michkov or the trading back option and I have to say “I was clearly in the wrong with my opinion”.
jonh514 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:04 a.m.
Quoting: KentMcNally
I have said many times already that I would have preferred Michkov because of his elite talent (he could be the most talented player on the team). I am also pretty sure that I saw somewhere (not sure where) that Michkov said he recognizes he needs to work on his Defense and will.

For me the other concerning part is the asset management. If Tom Wilander turns out to be roughly as good as Reinbacher then Montreal dropped the ball on trading back and getting additional assets.
colton is a defensive center where Newhook has more upside in the offensive side of things.... also hughes knows Newhook from his agent days and like who he is and how he will fit in.. only time will tell if colton would have been better
Same thing with Newhook vs Ross Colton. Right now there appears to be a lot of disparity in the quality of trades in Montreal-Colorado versus Colorado-Tampa Bay.

It would be nice if I were a better person and would refuse to say “I told you so” to the Reinbacher supporters if the Michkov pick turns out to be better, BUT. I am definitely holding that “ I told you so” card in my back pocket for a while. However, I won’t be afraid to eat some crow in a few years if the Reinbacher pick works out better than Michkov or the trading back option and I have to say “I was clearly in the wrong with my opinion”.
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:05 a.m.
Fall River Habs
Also, if Askarov turns into a star goalie, Matthew Wood turns into a good power forward and Molendyk into a good defenseman then refusing that reported Nashville offer could look like a mistake.

Only time will tell.

Hopefully we will see Reinbacher lifting at least one Stanley Cup in a Habs jersey in the next 15 years.
Shanesaw9 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:11 a.m.
Both michkov and Reinbacher has tons of potential. Reinbacher needs to develop offense and Michkov need to develop defense and team spirit. I think that they feel Reinbacher will be a better team mate and has an upside that they can influence and develop where the russian has all that talent but you cant harness it in any way. They question his character as well..

As for colton versus newhook I like colton for only costing a second round pick so montreal might have overpaid here. Hughes said other teams were chasing newhook so this might have lead to the overpaY. But both players will be good additions and i guess we could afford to lose the other pick.
jonh514 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:16 a.m.
Habs 2010
Edited Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:32 a.m.. Reason: For clarity / context

Colton is 26 years old, Newhook is only 22 and produced more in college than Boldy, the habs believe they have a top 6 player in Newhook, while Colton is a 3rd liner. They basically see Dach 2.0 in this move - a player that will thrive in their organization when given a better chance to succeed.

I think a line of Newhook - Dach - Anderson will give teams a hard time... all three are fast, Dach and Anderson bring the size, Newhook and Dach have the skill. They can play a skilled fast North-South attacking off the rush or play the cycle with thier strength and size. I could see all three having career years, Anderson hasn't had linemates like this in MTL before (capable of playing his North-South game).
Just_A_Guess, jonh514 and Campabee liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:16 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Caufield
I think they also look at the players who have already the best toolbox and don't need to be taught the "things that can't be learned". Slaf has 100 point toolbox, I doubt he will reach that, but the point stands, Slaf gets taught the right things the right way and he could be a top 5 power forward in the league

I believe Slafkovsky could pop this season and then all the doubters will claim they always believed in him.
Shanesaw9 and Caufield liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:17 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

You are entitled to believe whatever you do and I think we all respect it. Just please don't send David Reinbacher death threats... Cause WTF?!
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:21 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: danielcoe
Both michkov and Reinbacher has tons of potential. Reinbacher needs to develop offense and Michkov need to develop defense and team spirit. I think that they feel Reinbacher will be a better team mate and has an upside that they can influence and develop where the russian has all that talent but you cant harness it in any way. They question his character as well..

As for colton versus newhook I like colton for only costing a second round pick so montreal might have overpaid here. Hughes said other teams were chasing newhook so this might have lead to the overpaY. But both players will be good additions and i guess we could afford to lose the other pick.

Colton Ross is a heck of a player. Newhook of course has 4 years to pass him and I think he will.
Shanesaw9 and Caufield liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:22 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Colton is 26 years old, Newhook is only 22 and produced more in college than Boldy, the habs believe they have a top 6 player in Newhook, while Colton is a 3rd liner. They basically see Dach 2.0 in this move - a player that will thrive in their organization when given a better chance to succeed.

I think a line of Newhook - Dach - Anderson will give teams a hard time... all three are fast, Dach and Anderson bring the size, Newhook and Dach have the skill. If they play a fast North-South game I could see all three having career years, Anderson hasn't had linemates like this in MTL before.

I like that line as well. Also open to Slafkovsky sneaking into Anderson's spot and I hope he can, but only if he earns it.
Shanesaw9 and Campabee liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:22 a.m.
Fall River Habs
Colton is 26 years old, Newhook is only 22 and produced more in college than Boldy, the habs believe they have a top 6 player in Newhook, while Colton is a 3rd liner.

I think a line of Newhook - Dach - Anderson will give teams are hard time... all three are fast, Dach and Anderson bring the size, Newhook and Dach have the skill. If they play a fast North-South game I could see all three having career years, Anderson hasn't had linemates like this in MTL before.

I hope Newhook improves. I could see it happening. For me, right now, it’s just that Colton’s offensive numbers are as good as or better than Newhooks’s. I understand your point that Newhook is younger and had more room to grow. But if he does not make strides in his development then the first round pick that they gave Colorado could look bad.
I dunno
jonh514 and Shanesaw9 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:26 a.m.
Fall River Habs
You are entitled to believe whatever you do and I think we all respect it. Just please don't send David Reinbacher death threats... Cause WTF?!

Too late. I already sent a text message to Jonathan Drouin telling him to absolutely lay out Reinbacher on the ice with one of Drouin’s classic bone crushing hits when Drouin is playing for his next team against the Habs in the coming years.
Reinbacher better watch his back now …..
jonh514 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:29 a.m.
Reinbacher Josi 2.0
Too late. I already sent a text message to Jonathan Drouin telling him to absolutely lay out Reinbacher on the ice with one of Drouin’s classic bone crushing hits when Drouin is playing for his next team against the Habs in the coming years.

Drouin😂
jonh514 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.
got to give slafovsky good line mates this year and a better role.. He must be develop over winning more hockey games.. So i like Dach with suzuki and caufield and slaf with monahan and anderson and then dvorak with gallagher and newhook and the fourth line of Harvey and evans and pezzatta... trading hoffman and scratching or sending down aRmia.. also at the deadline you move monahan for a first and slide Newhook up into his spot.. This way newhook doesnt have too much pressure and slaf gets developed the way he needs to... If they dont do this then slaf needs to go to laval and play in all situations until we get injuries.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:33 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
I hope Newhook improves. I could see it happening. For me, right now, it’s just that Colton’s offensive numbers are as good as or better than Newhooks’s. I understand your point that Newhook is younger and had more room to grow. But if he does not make strides in his development then the first round pick that they gave Colorado could look bad.
I dunno

If Gulyayev and Gauthier never make the NHL, they could look like geniusses! We should not put that pressure on the kid. They paid a premium to get a player with potential who is the right age to fit in with our core and the right attitude to fit in with our culture.
Shanesaw9 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:34 a.m.
And john I really like your comment above i am unsure of the kids character and team spirit and his willingness to become a complete player. Remember how Galchenyuk never learned how to take a faceoff or play defense... and where is he now?
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

Especially when Drouin is playing in the Swiss NL next season :P
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:37 a.m.
Especially when Drouin is playing in the Swiss NL next season :P

it is a long distance check
jonh514 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:37 a.m.
Habs 2010
got to give slafovsky good line mates this year and a better role.. He must be develop over winning more hockey games.. So i like Dach with suzuki and caufield and slaf with monahan and anderson and then dvorak with gallagher and newhook and the fourth line of Harvey and evans and pezzatta... trading hoffman and scratching or sending down aRmia.. also at the deadline you move monahan for a first and slide Newhook up into his spot.. This way newhook doesnt have too much pressure and slaf gets developed the way he needs to... If they dont do this then slaf needs to go to laval and play in all situations until we get injuries.

Why are we worried about the 22 year old having too much pressure vs the 19 year old? Besides, the reason MTL acquired Newhook is to give him an opportunity in a top 6 role, putting him on the 3rd line would be the same situation as Colorado.

Monahan - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Anderson
Slafkovsky - Dvorak - Gallagher

4 of the players in the top 6 last season were injured, Slafkovsky will get chances to play in the top 6 I don't think there is any need to force it. If they can trade Dvorak that opens up a spot on the top line while Monahan can be the 3C.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:41 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
And john I really like your comment above i am unsure of the kids character and team spirit and his willingness to become a complete player. Remember how Galchenyuk never learned how to take a faceoff or play defense... and where is he now?

Ivan Demidov might end up being better than Michkov if he plays defense and Michkov doesn't. SKA might promote one over the other based on attitude.

Demidov could be the Habs pick next season wink
KentMcNally liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll