Forums/Armchair-GM

One way to move Petry

Created by: pens1991
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 7, 2023
Published: Jul. 7, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This may be the best solution the pens have to move Petry off the books, assuming Philadelphia would be interested. If they also use the second buyout window to buyout Granlund it would leave the pens just shy of $9M in cap.

Could easily look to move 1 goalie and Rutta and free up even more.

Then you could trade for whomever to bolster the third line.
Trades
PHI
  1. Petry, Jeff
Additional Details:
I know, Flyers and Penguins trade is crazy to think of and I still don't know that they would do this, but this would be similar to the Weber/Dadanov deal. The Flyers said they want to shed the contract of Ellis but don't want to pay for it, so a similar deal to the weber one would make sense.

Pens move a short term contract in Petry and get cap relief with Ellis on LTIR, flyers get two years of Petry as they continue to rebuild and move the Ellis contract. Petry would also be able to fill Deangelo assuming that goes through with the canes.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$73,100,175$0$0$10,399,825
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Philly isn't a small market. I'm confused why they would not just put him on LTIR. Is Ellis' contract not insured?
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.
pens1991
Quoting: jfkst1
Philly isn't a small market. I'm confused why they would not just put him on LTIR. Is Ellis' contract not insured?

i think the thought more so is that they could get a player back from a team that is looking for cap space. Ellis is never playing again, so he would sit on LTIR. His contract isn't up until 27 but won't matter at that point for the penguins. I could easily be missing something on how this works fully, but Arizona has done it for years lol. I just see this as the flyers get a transition player in Petry while they rebuild who can also help mentor younger skaters and they move Ellis off their books. I'm not sure on the flyers D pool and if he'd potentially take a spot from someone but i know they're apparently all but done on moving Deangelo back to Carolina and there were a ton of reports about Sanheim also being a trade piece so. It's more a thought but it could benefit both teams.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.

Because they could play Petry a ton to show him off and flip him at one of the next two deadlines or next offseason for more assets for their rebuild.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:30 p.m.
Hard thing to propose to a new ownership group. Petry has 12.5 mill in real dollars owed the next two season. Ellis is at 24 million real dollars remaining. 11.5 mill in total loss for cap space might not be welcomed. It's a smart move to make space though.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
The right to Wright
With DeAngelo probably leaving Philly it makes sense. Ellis will probably never play NHL hockey again but here the owners of the Flyers could at least save some money. I think it makes sense. I say yes to this deal. Philly flips Petry at 2024 TD with 50% for a 1st
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:41 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Quoting: pens1991
i think the thought more so is that they could get a player back from a team that is looking for cap space. Ellis is never playing again, so he would sit on LTIR. His contract isn't up until 27 but won't matter at that point for the penguins. I could easily be missing something on how this works fully, but Arizona has done it for years lol. I just see this as the flyers get a transition player in Petry while they rebuild who can also help mentor younger skaters and they move Ellis off their books. I'm not sure on the flyers D pool and if he'd potentially take a spot from someone but i know they're apparently all but done on moving Deangelo back to Carolina and there were a ton of reports about Sanheim also being a trade piece so. It's more a thought but it could benefit both teams.

Arizona was doing it because the contracts were always insured meaning they paid a tiny fraction of the actual cap hit. Hence why I'm curious if his contract is insured or not. Otherwise I still don't see why Philly wouldn't just keep it. And if they wanted to flip it as cap space asset, could probably do better than trading with Pittsburgh.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
Pitt would have to give picks to Philly for Petry. Philly wouldn't let their rival free up cap space without compensation. Cap space is expensive right now and Philly might not even have 6,25 million left after they sign Frost, Cates and York.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:51 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Quoting: Roperttos
Pitt would have to give picks to Philly for Petry. Philly wouldn't let their rival free up cap space without compensation. Cap space is expensive right now and Philly might not even have 6,25 million left after they sign Frost, Cates and York.

First of all, Petry isn't some liability contract you ignoramuses make him out to be. Secondly, if the contract isn't insured, no GM is going to get authorization to take on $20+ million in dead money. And IF they were willing to do so, Briere should certainly plan on at minimum taking back some not great contracts.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
pens1991
Quoting: Roperttos

a rival in which philly doesn't care about for the next 2 seasons at minimum because they're rebuilding.

It's a net win for the Flyer org as a whole, less money paid out, you move a contract of a player that's never seeing the ice again and you get in a vet to mentor and eat time. Plus as someone earlier said you can flip him at a deadline to a contender for more assets.

The flyers are gaining more cap space moving Deangelo, they're still probably going to look to move Konecny, laughton and Sanheim. They'll have plenty of cap space.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.
First of all, Petry isn't some liability contract you ignoramuses make him out to be. Secondly, if the contract isn't insured, no GM is going to get authorization to take on $20+ million in dead money. And IF they were willing to do so, Briere should certainly plan on at minimum taking back some not great contracts.

You are now missing the fact that Philly has no need at all for Petry, so they aren't going to be paying anything for him. If Philly would take Petry he would be mostly a cap dump. Like I said earlier cap space is expensive right now and that's why so many teams are buying out contracts instead of dumping them to other teams. Also Philly has no need to get rid of Ellis's contract, yes, they would prefer to get rid of it, but if they have to pay, they aren't moving him.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: pens1991
a rival in which philly doesn't care about for the next 2 seasons at minimum because they're rebuilding.

It's a net win for the Flyer org as a whole, less money paid out, you move a contract of a player that's never seeing the ice again and you get in a vet to mentor and eat time. Plus as someone earlier said you can flip him at a deadline to a contender for more assets.

The flyers are gaining more cap space moving Deangelo, they're still probably going to look to move Konecny, laughton and Sanheim. They'll have plenty of cap space.

It doesn't matter if Philly is rebuilding, they aren't going to do any favors for their rival.

Philly has no need for Petry, because they are trying to get a high draft pick next season. Petry is already 35 and his numbers could easily regress while playing for Tortorella and on a bottom feeder team to the point that he might not be worth that much at 50% retained.

The DeAngelo trade will only free up 2,5 million for them and Sanheim is apperently off the trading block, Philly was offered a 1st and a 2nd for Laughton and declined, so they probably aren't moving him either and according to LeBrun Konecny will most likely not be moved this offseason.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll