SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Atlantic Division Playoff Predictions

Jul. 24, 2023 at 4:40 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Scooter81
Yeah, won’t be by a lot though. I’ve got Tampa with 97 PTS and Boston with 100. Should be a nailbiter.

Man, I dunno, Boston's forward ranks look pretty depleted, and I don't see Bergeron and/or Krejci changing that
Jul. 24, 2023 at 4:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Boston ahead of Tampa Bay eh?

Should be more surprised with FLA being second. Guys went on a Cinderella run and that often means regression

Factor injuries, Duclair and Gudas gone along with Bob potentially reverting back to his meh self they might miss.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle
Should be more surprised with FLA being second. Guys went on a Cinderella run and that often means regression

Factor injuries, Duclair and Gudas gone along with Bob potentially reverting back to his meh self they might miss.

I think Bob's regress to the mean will result him in being average at worst, nobody is denying that their playoff run was a Cinderella story, but one can't deny they made some nice acquisitions in the off-season
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I think Bob's regress to the mean will result him in being average at worst, nobody is denying that their playoff run was a Cinderella story, but one can't deny they made some nice acquisitions in the off-season

I mean nobody they added is really good. They added a bunch of 3rd pair Dman, moved Duclair for Lorentz, and added Rodrigues and Stenlund

Instead of signing a bunch of Dman I would have signed Graves then kept Duclair cause while Rodrigues looks good compared to Duclair his finishing struggles could come to bite FLA.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:29 p.m.
Banned
I mean nobody they added is really good. They added a bunch of 3rd pair Dman, moved Duclair for Lorentz, and added Rodrigues and Stenlund

Instead of signing a bunch of Dman I would have signed Graves then kept Duclair cause while Rodrigues looks good compared to Duclair his finishing struggles could come to bite FLA.

OEL is a 3rd pair D?
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
OEL is a 3rd pair D?

At this point in his career yes

Has not looked like a second pair guy since 2019

As when u compare him to guys like Graves, Orlov, etc its clear whose top 4 and who isnt at this point.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
Banned
At this point in his career yes

Has not looked like a second pair guy since 2019

As when u compare him to guys like Graves, Orlov, etc its clear whose top 4 and who isnt at this point.

21-22, he was legit 2nd pair D
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
21-22, he was legit 2nd pair D

27dt4yc2zex71.jpg

That does not scream top 4.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:43 p.m.
Banned
27dt4yc2zex71.jpg

EV defense is the key, and he's a pretty efficient shooter too
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
27dt4yc2zex71.jpg

This was when OEL was top 4

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fnbc-sports-production-nbc-sports.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fbrightspot%2F12%2F26%2F2fd96f8aab61b7394b967fc2d80a%2Foel2013-2016.png
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
EV defense is the key, and he's a pretty efficient shooter too

If u compare that to most third pair guys its around the same stat
Banned
This was when OEL was top 4

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fnbc-sports-production-nbc-sports.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fbrightspot%2F12%2F26%2F2fd96f8aab61b7394b967fc2d80a%2Foel2013-2016.png

Okay...?
Banned
If u compare that to most third pair guys its around the same stat

No it isn't
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
No it isn't

He is and there is nothing wrong with that as Dman age often their role gets reduced and they go lower down the lineup

OEL at this point aint a top 4 guy anymore. He can play there but that does not mean he should
Jul. 25, 2023 at 7:01 p.m.
I want to wait to see how Toronto addresses their salary cap issue and what they do with Nylander before deciding on order.
Jul. 25, 2023 at 7:11 p.m.
Banned
He is and there is nothing wrong with that as Dman age often their role gets reduced and they go lower down the lineup

OEL at this point aint a top 4 guy anymore. He can play there but that does not mean he should

OEL was top four caliber in 21-22, the stats back that up
Aug. 1, 2023 at 11:39 p.m.
Bedard23
1. Toronto
2. Tampa Bay
3. Florida
4. Boston (WC)
5. Buffalo
6. Detroit
7. Ottawa
8. Montreal
Aug. 1, 2023 at 11:40 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: IconicHawk
1. Toronto
2. Tampa Bay
3. Florida
4. Boston (WC)
5. Buffalo
6. Detroit
7. Ottawa
8. Montreal

Taking Detroit over Ottawa? I dunno man...
Aug. 2, 2023 at 1:23 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Taking Detroit over Ottawa? I dunno man...

Detroit does have the better forward core

OTT the better Dcore by a sliver

With a tie between goaltending

So it depends on whose goalie gets going this season
Aug. 2, 2023 at 1:29 a.m.
Banned
Detroit does have the better forward core

OTT the better Dcore by a sliver

With a tie between goaltending

So it depends on whose goalie gets going this season

Nah man, Ottawa's D-core is much much better than Detroit's, and even saying Detroit has a better forward group is a reach. Detroit really only has the edge in goaltending
Aug. 3, 2023 at 2:35 a.m.
Figuring out my Atlantic Division predictions was the most difficult division for me. For the most part, the teams from this division who made the playoffs had net losses in talent, while those that missed the playoffs made noticeable improvements. The result is a group of teams that could reasonably end up in many different orders; the division race here will likely be a bloodbath and fascinating to follow.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs - The Leafs roster underwent massive overhaul, as the team saw the departure of many of their veteran rentals from their all in push. However, the Leafs replaced those losses in free agency, adding Tyler Bertuzzi, Max Domi, John Klingberg, and Ryan Reaves. I'm not a huge fan of the Klingberg and Reaves moves, but adding Bertuzzi and Domi was savvy from my point of view. They still have to figure out how they're doing to duck the cap, so there's still more intrigue here. Big picture wise, I think this new Leafs roster is built with an eye towards getting over the playoff hump rather than regular season success. I predict they'll see a bit of a drop in points, but will still finish atop the Atlantic Division since unlike the other Atlantic playoff teams last year, they actually adequately replaced their losses.

2. Tampa Bay Lightning - The Lightning don't have nearly the same depth they enjoyed during their cup runs, and that trend continued this offseason. Due to cap constraints, they lost key depth contributors in Alex Killorn and Ross Colton. Conor Sheary is a nice addition, but probably can't replace the lost production on his own. Despite these departures, the Lightning still possess quite a bit of elite talent that will keep them afloat, which I think will lock them into a playoff spot.

3. Buffalo Sabres - It might be a shock to see Buffalo in a top three spot, but last season they were only a point out of a playoff spot. I think they're ready to take that next step. The forward corps is what drives this team; it is talented, balanced, and young, which means this group may still have another gear in them. The defense has been shored up with Connor Clifton and Erik Johnson; not household names, but they should still provide solid partners for Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power and help them further their development. I think there's potential for a more proven top-four RHD addition, but as constructed the blue line is much more solid than before. The real X factor for the Sabres is goaltending. Devon Levi looked good in his cup of coffee last season, but it's unclear whether he's ready to handle a true starter's workload. Adding a more proven goalie to play in tandem with him will go a long way towards solidifying Buffalo as a playoff team in my opinion. Overall, I think Buffalo is the best situated of the Atlantic's non-playoff teams from last year to leap into the playoff picture, and I predict this is the year the Sabres end their playoff drought.

4. Florida Panthers (WC2) - On the back of their Cindarella run to the cup final, the Panthers didn't rest on their laurels. Up front, they traded Anthony Duclair but added Evan Rodrigues. On the back end, out went Radko Gudas and in came Niko Mikkola, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, and Mike Reilly. On paper, this roster seems largely the same in quality. However, the playoff run cost them in other ways. Aaron Ekblad and Brandon Montour will each miss a chunk of the regular season after offseason surgery, and other key players are recovering from ailments of their own. I think because of that, the Panthers will start slow, but will round into form down the stretch enough to sneak back into the playoffs and potentially cause some more chaos.

5. Ottawa Senators - The Senators saw some major roster turnover this offseason; their Alex DeBrincat acquisition didn't work out as hoped, and he was shipped to Detroit. While the Sens didn't get a player of equivalent talent in return, Dominik Kubalik and Vladimir Tarasenko should be able to replace most if not all of Cat's production. In net, they added Joonas Korpisalo to solidify the goaltending position; while he's probably an improvement on what they had last season, his inconsistency make Ottawa's goalie situation anything but a sure bet. They also still have to figure out how to sign Shane Pinto while still being cap compliant. Overall, their roster remains flush with NHL-level youth and both the forward group and defense are solid and balanced. I believe the Sens will definitely be in the mix for a playoff spot. I have them on the outside looking in here, but wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they crash the postseason party.

6. Detroit Red Wings - Detroit made some waves this offseason. They signed JT Compher, Daniel Sprong, Christian Fischer, Shayne Gostisbehere, and Justin Holl in free agency, and traded for Alex DeBrincat and Klim Kostin. The forward group is much deeper than last year and should be conducive to a score-by-committee approach. However, the defense is still suspect, which I think in the end will hold them back. Similar to Ottawa, I have the Red Wings finishing outside the playoffs but wouldn't be shocked to see them crack the playoff picture.

7. Boston Bruins - Boston poured everything into one last cup push last season, and the bill came due this offseason. The cap pressure they were under meant that in addition to the retirements of Patrice Bergeron and David Krejčí, they lost Taylor Hall, Tyler Bertuzzi, and Dmitry Orlov. The resulting group is much weaker than before, even with the additions of Morgan Geekie, James Van Riemsdyk, Patrick Brown, and Kevin Shattenkirk. The Bruins' strong goaltending tandem coupled with the star power of David Pastrnak should keep them in most games, but ultimately I predict they slide back, out of the playoff picture.

8. Montreal Canadiens - The Canadiens should be better than last season based purely on the basis of health. Their roster resembled a field hospital last season, and a bit more injury luck will go a long way towards improving their record. However, Montreal is still a step behind the other teams in their division, and the team didn't add much besides Alex Newhook. They're still a young team with a lot of promise for the future, but for the team being I predict the Canadiens will once again finish at the base of the Atlantic Division.
Aug. 3, 2023 at 2:57 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: KrakenTheCode
Figuring out my Atlantic Division predictions was the most difficult division for me. For the most part, the teams from this division who made the playoffs had net losses in talent, while those that missed the playoffs made noticeable improvements. The result is a group of teams that could reasonably end up in many different orders; the division race here will likely be a bloodbath and fascinating to follow.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs - The Leafs roster underwent massive overhaul, as the team saw the departure of many of their veteran rentals from their all in push. However, the Leafs replaced those losses in free agency, adding Tyler Bertuzzi, Max Domi, John Klingberg, and Ryan Reaves. I'm not a huge fan of the Klingberg and Reaves moves, but adding Bertuzzi and Domi was savvy from my point of view. They still have to figure out how they're doing to duck the cap, so there's still more intrigue here. Big picture wise, I think this new Leafs roster is built with an eye towards getting over the playoff hump rather than regular season success. I predict they'll see a bit of a drop in points, but will still finish atop the Atlantic Division since unlike the other Atlantic playoff teams last year, they actually adequately replaced their losses.

2. Tampa Bay Lightning - The Lightning don't have nearly the same depth they enjoyed during their cup runs, and that trend continued this offseason. Due to cap constraints, they lost key depth contributors in Alex Killorn and Ross Colton. Conor Sheary is a nice addition, but probably can't replace the lost production on his own. Despite these departures, the Lightning still possess quite a bit of elite talent that will keep them afloat, which I think will lock them into a playoff spot.

3. Buffalo Sabres - It might be a shock to see Buffalo in a top three spot, but last season they were only a point out of a playoff spot. I think they're ready to take that next step. The forward corps is what drives this team; it is talented, balanced, and young, which means this group may still have another gear in them. The defense has been shored up with Connor Clifton and Erik Johnson; not household names, but they should still provide solid partners for Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power and help them further their development. I think there's potential for a more proven top-four RHD addition, but as constructed the blue line is much more solid than before. The real X factor for the Sabres is goaltending. Devon Levi looked good in his cup of coffee last season, but it's unclear whether he's ready to handle a true starter's workload. Adding a more proven goalie to play in tandem with him will go a long way towards solidifying Buffalo as a playoff team in my opinion. Overall, I think Buffalo is the best situated of the Atlantic's non-playoff teams from last year to leap into the playoff picture, and I predict this is the year the Sabres end their playoff drought.

4. Florida Panthers (WC2) - On the back of their Cindarella run to the cup final, the Panthers didn't rest on their laurels. Up front, they traded Anthony Duclair but added Evan Rodrigues. On the back end, out went Radko Gudas and in came Niko Mikkola, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, and Mike Reilly. On paper, this roster seems largely the same in quality. However, the playoff run cost them in other ways. Aaron Ekblad and Brandon Montour will each miss a chunk of the regular season after offseason surgery, and other key players are recovering from ailments of their own. I think because of that, the Panthers will start slow, but will round into form down the stretch enough to sneak back into the playoffs and potentially cause some more chaos.

5. Ottawa Senators - The Senators saw some major roster turnover this offseason; their Alex DeBrincat acquisition didn't work out as hoped, and he was shipped to Detroit. While the Sens didn't get a player of equivalent talent in return, Dominik Kubalik and Vladimir Tarasenko should be able to replace most if not all of Cat's production. In net, they added Joonas Korpisalo to solidify the goaltending position; while he's probably an improvement on what they had last season, his inconsistency make Ottawa's goalie situation anything but a sure bet. They also still have to figure out how to sign Shane Pinto while still being cap compliant. Overall, their roster remains flush with NHL-level youth and both the forward group and defense are solid and balanced. I believe the Sens will definitely be in the mix for a playoff spot. I have them on the outside looking in here, but wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they crash the postseason party.

6. Detroit Red Wings - Detroit made some waves this offseason. They signed JT Compher, Daniel Sprong, Christian Fischer, Shayne Gostisbehere, and Justin Holl in free agency, and traded for Alex DeBrincat and Klim Kostin. The forward group is much deeper than last year and should be conducive to a score-by-committee approach. However, the defense is still suspect, which I think in the end will hold them back. Similar to Ottawa, I have the Red Wings finishing outside the playoffs but wouldn't be shocked to see them crack the playoff picture.

7. Boston Bruins - Boston poured everything into one last cup push last season, and the bill came due this offseason. The cap pressure they were under meant that in addition to the retirements of Patrice Bergeron and David Krejčí, they lost Taylor Hall, Tyler Bertuzzi, and Dmitry Orlov. The resulting group is much weaker than before, even with the additions of Morgan Geekie, James Van Riemsdyk, Patrick Brown, and Kevin Shattenkirk. The Bruins' strong goaltending tandem coupled with the star power of David Pastrnak should keep them in most games, but ultimately I predict they slide back, out of the playoff picture.

8. Montreal Canadiens - The Canadiens should be better than last season based purely on the basis of health. Their roster resembled a field hospital last season, and a bit more injury luck will go a long way towards improving their record. However, Montreal is still a step behind the other teams in their division, and the team didn't add much besides Alex Newhook. They're still a young team with a lot of promise for the future, but for the team being I predict the Canadiens will once again finish at the base of the Atlantic Division.

It won't surprise me to see Buffalo be the up and comer team to make the playoffs, but I would hardly call Johnson and Clifton adequate options to shore up Buffalo's defense, let alone be conducive to Dahlin and Power's development, Dahlin should be close to being the finished product as is

Detroit's forward group isn't that much deeper than last year, they still had to let go of Bertuzzi, Suter, and Sundqvist to name a few of their key departures up front

I won't be surprised to see Boston miss the playoffs, but I don't see them sliding as far back as sixth

Agree that Ottawa looks relatively balanced, I'm personally waiting to see how the team meshes as a whole, because it's one thing to have talent, a whole other matter is being able to perform as a team, and the Senators had a pretty miserable November last season despite all the off-season and "summer of Dorion" praise that the franchise got several months before that. Ultimately it was just a little too late to claw themselves all the way back
Aug. 3, 2023 at 3:48 a.m.
1. Toronto
2. Tampa Bay
3. Buffalo
4. Boston (WC)
5. Ottawa (WC)
6. Florida
7. Detroit
8. Montreal
Knuckl3s liked this.
Aug. 3, 2023 at 3:50 a.m.
27dt4yc2zex71.jpg

https://twitter.com/harshbirbrar03/status/1594739480321302530?s=46&t=Em1kSTrQp8S8RWKcSKV0NA

He was actually pretty solid in 21/22, but was awful last year (but was apparently playing with a broken foot)
Aug. 3, 2023 at 10:32 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: mv21227
1. Toronto
2. Tampa Bay
3. Buffalo
4. Boston (WC)
5. Ottawa (WC)
6. Florida
7. Detroit
8. Montreal

Spots 3 through 7 definitely have some serious variability that's for sure. Not quite sure why some are upvoting Buffalo so passionately over Ottawa though

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll