Forums/Armchair-GM

Boqvist

Created by: futurebobmckenzie
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 23, 2023
Published: Jul. 23, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
CBJ needs to move out a RHD and can’t imagine there will be any takers for Peeke. Boqvist seems to be the guy to get moved. If we can’t get EK, let’s get Boqvist. Figure Boqvist for the 3rd and 5th and Bemstrom for the 4th.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$825,000
Trades
PIT
  1. 2024 4th round pick (SJS)
ARI
  1. Rutta, Jan
Additional Details:
PLACEHOLDER

What team needs a big solid 3rd pair shutdown guy?
CBJ
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (PIT)
  2. 2025 4th round pick (PIT)
  3. 2026 5th round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$76,732,258$0$0$6,767,742
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:54 a.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Would need a 1st for Boqvist. Especially so from a division rival. The Jackets don't have to part with him so no need to let him go this cheap.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.
Quoting: futurebobmckenzie
can’t imagine there will be any takers for Peeke

Every other CBJ-involved ACGM on here has a trade for Peeke. No takers for a minute-eating, right-shot, cost-controlled, young, physical D-man? I'm not a Peeke fan (which I say ad nauseum), but he's exactly the kind of player GMs tend to overpay for.

Boqvist lands a late-1st rounder (or early 2nd-rounder) or just stays with Columbus. We don't have to move anyone, it just makes sense to if we want to.
SK101 and nashthesecond liked this.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 11:51 a.m.
Quoting: CaseyFlyman
Every other CBJ-involved ACGM on here has a trade for Peeke. No takers for a minute-eating, right-shot, cost-controlled, young, physical D-man? I'm not a Peeke fan (which I say ad nauseum), but he's exactly the kind of player GMs tend to overpay for.

Boqvist lands a late-1st rounder (or early 2nd-rounder) or just stays with Columbus. We don't have to move anyone, it just makes sense to if we want to.

Quoting: dk325
Would need a 1st for Boqvist. Especially so from a division rival. The Jackets don't have to part with him so no need to let him go this cheap.

A) you have too many RHD… Severson, Gudbranson, Boqvist, and Peeke on the right side. None of those guys are gonna be scratched either. Log jam at right D. You need to move somebody out. You’re not moving Severson and nobody wants Gudbranson or Peeke.

B) Peeke was not good in his own zone last year. As a defensive defenseman he needs to be. He’s overpaid too. if Peeke was as good as you’re claiming then he would’ve been moved by now.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
not a he )
A) you have too many RHD… Severson, Gudbranson, Boqvist, and Peeke on the right side. None of those guys are gonna be scratched either. Log jam at right D. You need to move somebody out. You’re not moving Severson and nobody wants Gudbranson or Peeke.

B) Peeke was not good in his own zone last year. As a defensive defenseman he needs to be. He’s overpaid too. if Peeke was as good as you’re claiming then he would’ve been moved by now.

It’s amazing to see someone be wrong so many times in one comment.
CaseyFlyman liked this.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.

I'm well aware we have too many RD, when healthy. We also played 14 defensemen last season, 7 of whom were RD. Gudbranson could very easily be scratched while Severson, Peeke, and Boqvist hold down the right side while everyone is healthy. Blankenburg, Jiricek, Bjork, and Sweezy could all come up from the AHL, but only Blanks and Jiricek are really NHL-level right now. So we're two injuries away from a sub-replacement-level D-man playing consistently on the right side...there's no hurry to just move people, and certainly not to a division rival for a s*** return just because.

I called him a "minute-eating, right-shot, cost-controlled, young, physical D-man", then qualified that I'm not a fan. I never claimed he is good. But there's plenty of people fooled by his 197 blocks last season that would take a chance on a 25-year-old RD making $2.75M for the next 3 years, and that's exactly the kind of player old-head GMs love to go get. For context, he'd be tied with Rutta for 5th-highest-paid Pens D-man, it's not exactly a back-breaking contract.

Of the two, it's better to sell high on Peeke, whose minutes and blocks last season likely won't be matched for the rest of his career, instead of selling low on Boqvist, who looked like an excellent puck-mover when healthy, but can't stay healthy enough to prove it. Regardless, there's no rush to move either.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 3:01 p.m.
Quoting: squashmaple
It’s amazing to see someone be wrong so many times in one comment.

Quoting: CaseyFlyman
I'm well aware we have too many RD, when healthy. We also played 14 defensemen last season, 7 of whom were RD. Gudbranson could very easily be scratched while Severson, Peeke, and Boqvist hold down the right side while everyone is healthy. Blankenburg, Jiricek, Bjork, and Sweezy could all come up from the AHL, but only Blanks and Jiricek are really NHL-level right now. So we're two injuries away from a sub-replacement-level D-man playing consistently on the right side...there's no hurry to just move people, and certainly not to a division rival for a s*** return just because.

I called him a "minute-eating, right-shot, cost-controlled, young, physical D-man", then qualified that I'm not a fan. I never claimed he is good. But there's plenty of people fooled by his 197 blocks last season that would take a chance on a 25-year-old RD making $2.75M for the next 3 years, and that's exactly the kind of player old-head GMs love to go get. For context, he'd be tied with Rutta for 5th-highest-paid Pens D-man, it's not exactly a back-breaking contract.

Of the two, it's better to sell high on Peeke, whose minutes and blocks last season likely won't be matched for the rest of his career, instead of selling low on Boqvist, who looked like an excellent puck-mover when healthy, but can't stay healthy enough to prove it. Regardless, there's no rush to move either.

You’re funny if you think Gudbranson is sitting with a 4M contract. Peeke is not good idk what other way I can spell it out for you. Like in the original comment nobody is going to overpay for a defenseman who can only block shots. who cares if he’s minute eating if he sucks while he’s out there. Saying i’m the one that’s wrong is laughable. I can admit that Boqvist is probably worth more than the deal I proposed but to say that teams are willing to overpay for Peeke is laughable. And we all know Gudbranson isn’t gonna sit with a 4M contact. That’s foolish. I know I lowballed the deal but man you guys are just so blatantly wrong it’s painful to talk to.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 5:53 p.m.
You’re funny if you think Gudbranson is sitting with a 4M contract. Peeke is not good idk what other way I can spell it out for you. Like in the original comment nobody is going to overpay for a defenseman who can only block shots. who cares if he’s minute eating if he sucks while he’s out there. Saying i’m the one that’s wrong is laughable. I can admit that Boqvist is probably worth more than the deal I proposed but to say that teams are willing to overpay for Peeke is laughable. And we all know Gudbranson isn’t gonna sit with a 4M contact. That’s foolish. I know I lowballed the deal but man you guys are just so blatantly wrong it’s painful to talk to.

You're just dancing around the entire point of my comment. Peeke isn't good, I know that, I'm living on that hill and watched him all season. It's not me you have to convince. He's not loved by analytics and honestly there's not much in points or the eye test to defend him either. However, there's so many people that see him as a 2RD-3RD option with the tools to become a legit defensive defenseman under a competent coach that someone would pay for him if Jarmo decides he's the one that has to move. Right now we'd probably get a better return on actual value on Peeke (who had a weird season) than Boqvist (who had a very hurt season). There's probably 100 ACGM's here for different teams willing to spend a 2nd on him. He's overpaid but not egregiously like Gudbranson. I'd ship him out for a 3rd or 4th just to see him off my team.

Not sitting a worse player because he makes too much money is a loser mentality, it would be foolish to play Gudbranson if there's better options. But sit Peeke for all I care, either way the right side is Boqvist, Severson, and Peeke/Gudbranson (with one sitting) until Boqvist inevitably gets hurt, there's still no need to move a RD, and thus no need to sell low.

"blatantly wrong it’s painful to talk to" - Finally, what the f*** is this, 2nd grade? It's a discussion board, we're talking fantasy hockey trades (which so far have been reasonable trades with reasonable rebuttals). There's different opinions, there's no need for this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll