Forums/Armchair-GM

Peeke for Beauvillier

Created by: alwaysnextyear
Team: 2023-24 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 13, 2023
Published: Aug. 14, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Canucks add a RHD for the 3rd pair (2nd pair in a pinch) and get some cap space for this season.

Jackets get an offensive winger and free up cap space in the next couple seasons. They can also flip Beauvillier at the deadline if they want.
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$83,121,667$850,000$850,000$378,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C, LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,650,000$6,650,000
RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 14, 2023 at 6:13 p.m.
Big Shoots
Seems pretty fair but I'm sure CBJ wont like it. They think they're pretty set on the wings.
alwaysnextyear liked this.
Aug. 14, 2023 at 6:13 p.m.
Big Shoots
Quoting: BigShoots
Seems pretty fair but I'm sure CBJ wont like it. They think they're pretty set on the wings.
Aug. 14, 2023 at 7:21 p.m.

I like it.

I'm not a huge fan of Peeke, so effectively gaining the roster spot and cap space next year, plus TDL picks, makes it a win in my book. We are set at the wings, but I'd make the deal and just figure it out later.
Aug. 14, 2023 at 11:19 p.m.
Peeke is pretty overrated on this site but you have him placed appropriately here on the 3rd pair. I like Beauvillier, he's a good player even if overpaid, but for cap reasons and to add more depth on the back end I don't have any issue with this trade. This may also leave enough space to sign Bear mid season if he is willing to come back to what would be a crowded blueline.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
Big Shoots
Quoting: CaseyFlyman
I like it.

I'm not a huge fan of Peeke, so effectively gaining the roster spot and cap space next year, plus TDL picks, makes it a win in my book. We are set at the wings, but I'd make the deal and just figure it out later.

I don't really know Peeke but it is probably a short sighted move by Vancouver unless they think Peeke has top 4 upside which doesn't seem overly realistic
Aug. 15, 2023 at 4:50 p.m.
I don't really know Peeke but it is probably a short sighted move by Vancouver unless they think Peeke has top 4 upside which doesn't seem overly realistic

He's a bottom-pair floor, and top-4 ceiling. He's probably just fine as a 2RD, and he's young enough that he could still get there full-time, but he'd be great for a team that's looking for some physical, reliable RD depth who's already NHL-caliber while still reasonably young, that at worst can lock down your bottom pair for years. If that sounds like Vancouver, I'm sure CBJ would be willing to swing a deal.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
Big Shoots
He's a bottom-pair floor, and top-4 ceiling. He's probably just fine as a 2RD, and he's young enough that he could still get there full-time, but he'd be great for a team that's looking for some physical, reliable RD depth who's already NHL-caliber while still reasonably young, that at worst can lock down your bottom pair for years. If that sounds like Vancouver, I'm sure CBJ would be willing to swing a deal.

I look at some of the modeling of his play and it's just a disaster. He is a young, big, strong RD and those are very hard to come by so perhaps you'd bet on him if youd been scouting him and saw something you liked. Having rarely watched him I rely heavily on the advanced data and it suggests he's awful.

Would you have anything to say to that in terms your impression of who he is currently (given the poor metrics) and who he might become.

It's the 2.5 mil for 3 more yrs that scares me. But again if he is somehow better than his numbers all of a sudden thats not much at all. Give me a reason to believe in him.
CaseyFlyman liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 11:37 p.m.
I look at some of the modeling of his play and it's just a disaster. He is a young, big, strong RD and those are very hard to come by so perhaps you'd bet on him if youd been scouting him and saw something you liked. Having rarely watched him I rely heavily on the advanced data and it suggests he's awful.

Would you have anything to say to that in terms your impression of who he is currently (given the poor metrics) and who he might become.

It's the 2.5 mil for 3 more yrs that scares me. But again if he is somehow better than his numbers all of a sudden thats not much at all. Give me a reason to believe in him.

Honestly, I'm not going to be the person to advocate for him. Part of why I want Peeke traded over someone like Boqvist is because his advanced metrics are awful, and the eye-test doesn't do him many favors. A lot of what I I see is a big-body physical-minded defenseman who doesn't know how or when to be physical, and he's often out of place because he's trying to be physical or use his body where his stick or positioning would suffice. That leads to a lot of penalties as well.

The saving grace is that you can correct a lot of that with good coaching, but I'm worried he is what he is, and he's not going to change his play style to a modern game. With good coaching (and he does seem to be coachable), he can become a solid shutdown guy with a physical edge and a sneaky good shot, who blocks a ton of shots, which are his best qualities. He could be a very good 3RD, or at least a solid 2RD, who can play up the lineup if need be and open up a more offensive-minded defense partner. That's the reason to believe in him.

The worst case scenario: he doesn't correct his flaws, and gets consistently eaten up by more skilled and faster players. His game becomes more and more desperation and less disciplined, and he becomes totally unusable in a few years. If that's the case, it's still not a huge contract; it just depends on if you want to take a chance on him.

The reality is, I think a lot of GMs look at him as a reliable, huge, defensively-responsible RD with a desirable physical edge, and they're willing to overpay for that. The contract is a boon if you think he can reach the consistent 2RD ceiling, and the team control until he's 28 at a reasonable rate is also nice if you think he's worth it. My hope is that someone does overpay for him, because we already have an older, similar player on a more expensive deal in Gudbranson.
BigShoots and benjgc liked this.
Aug. 16, 2023 at 5:54 p.m.
Big Shoots
Honestly, I'm not going to be the person to advocate for him. Part of why I want Peeke traded over someone like Boqvist is because his advanced metrics are awful, and the eye-test doesn't do him many favors. A lot of what I I see is a big-body physical-minded defenseman who doesn't know how or when to be physical, and he's often out of place because he's trying to be physical or use his body where his stick or positioning would suffice. That leads to a lot of penalties as well.

The saving grace is that you can correct a lot of that with good coaching, but I'm worried he is what he is, and he's not going to change his play style to a modern game. With good coaching (and he does seem to be coachable), he can become a solid shutdown guy with a physical edge and a sneaky good shot, who blocks a ton of shots, which are his best qualities. He could be a very good 3RD, or at least a solid 2RD, who can play up the lineup if need be and open up a more offensive-minded defense partner. That's the reason to believe in him.

The worst case scenario: he doesn't correct his flaws, and gets consistently eaten up by more skilled and faster players. His game becomes more and more desperation and less disciplined, and he becomes totally unusable in a few years. If that's the case, it's still not a huge contract; it just depends on if you want to take a chance on him.

The reality is, I think a lot of GMs look at him as a reliable, huge, defensively-responsible RD with a desirable physical edge, and they're willing to overpay for that. The contract is a boon if you think he can reach the consistent 2RD ceiling, and the team control until he's 28 at a reasonable rate is also nice if you think he's worth it. My hope is that someone does overpay for him, because we already have an older, similar player on a more expensive deal in Gudbranson.

Cool so the advanced metrics tell the story pretty accurately with Peeke then. I absolutely hate that kind of player. Sounds like he'd have fit well in the 00s. Just the big oaf whos hard to play against because he's strong and doesn't try to do anything cute. They don't tend to look good in todays game though. Beauvillier I think is a solid player I don't see any reason to move him unless the Canucks think they are improving themselves or creating cap space to do other things. This trade represents 2 extra yrs of cap commitment and get a worse player. The plus side is you save cap in the short term and get a potentially hard to come by profile but the upside seems unrealistic.
CaseyFlyman liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll