SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Habs 2023 trade or move

Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 6, 2023
Published: Sep. 6, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The moves here are solely an opinion. Moves that I would make to change something in the teams that could ptentially need the player's skill.

DeSmith - Was discussed that he was an asset taken in order to move again. It's taking longer than expected, and some potential destinations mentionned on some sites indicated Columbus; Washington; St. Louis and Tampa Bay. I would consider Florida since their 2nd doesn't have the numbers DeSmith has.

Leafs trade: Be mindfull that I don't see this happening, I took it from MaxBorjshlapsky (A Leafs fan) where I saw an opportunity for the Leafs to gain another power forward, but also gain an asset in Barron and a pick. Norlinder is there for a filler since he's shown good promise, but he's always dancing on that line. Note that both Järnkrok and Brodie would need to accept being moved to MTL since they have clauses in their contracts, to which I think they would refuse the move knowing their chance to hoist the cup could be this year with the moves that were done in the offseason by Treliving. But it's a long shot AGM here.. So please relax.

Habs get Calle Järnkrok, and WilliamVilleneuve. Järnkrok is a capable winger with less of a hit on the cap with less term, and frees up a spot on the right side for Armia and Gallagher, or he can go on the third pairing with my choices in Evans and Newhook.. He's got options.
Trades
MTL
  1. Brodie, TJ
  2. Järnkrok, Calle
  3. Villeneuve, William
Additional Details:
Before any Leafs fans take my head off, just note I took this from MaxBorjshlapsky AGM's and bonified it with Norlinder and a third pick.
TOR
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. Barron, Justin
  3. Norlinder, Mattias
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
I feel like the Leafs need cap space, this provide 1.6M$ or .6M$ if Barron is put in the NHL this year. Anderson would punch in the second line, and they would have two fully offensive lines.
They still need a good backup goalie and anohter DMan but these can easily be done before TDL.
MTL
  1. Sawchyn, Gracyn [Reserve List]
  2. 2025 4th round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Florida get a better asset in DeSmith than their current backup, and helps them have a better chance of resting up Ekblad from time to time without giving up much other than a light prospect and a 4th round pick.
*4th pick would be conditional of an extension contract after a good performance with FLA and if met would become 2026's 3rd round pick following the extension.
FLA
  1. DeSmith, Casey
Additional Details:
Habs get a pick from the asset, and a young prospect to Laval. I'd also be open just with the fourth pick.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$72,965,416$1,170,000$3,935,000$10,534,584
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
RD
RFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 6, 2023 at 11:33 a.m.
I can definitely see tre taking a run at a guy like Anderson.

BUT

Toronto's biggest need is to upgrade the size and physicality of their D group. Brodie is our best defensive dman. If we trade him, it should be a bigger version of him. Ultimately, I think we need to add a Tanev type to our top 4, without removing anyone, and we will be fine.

All this to say, the Leafs should pass. I also don't love Anderson's cap hit but he is one of the most debated players on this site in terms of value.

I don't love this move for Montreal either. They are trading a guy like Baron and a pick and another prospect and are getting older complimentary guys (one being a pending UFA). I can see someone making the argument that "They are getting out of the Anderson contract" but I still wouldn't make this move for Montreal. They do get better this year though, because Brodie is a stud. But long term this doesn't make sense.
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.
Quoting: TMLBRIAN

BUT

Toronto's biggest need is to upgrade the size and physicality of their D group. Brodie is our best defensive dman. If we trade him, it should be a bigger version of him. Ultimately, I think we need to add a Tanev type to our top 4, without removing anyone, and we will be fine.

All this to say, the Leafs should pass. I also don't love Anderson's cap hit but he is one of the most debated players on this site in terms of value.

I don't love this move for Montreal either. They are trading a guy like Baron and a pick and another prospect and are getting older complimentary guys (one being a pending UFA). I can see someone making the argument that "They are getting out of the Anderson contract" but I still wouldn't make this move for Montreal. They do get better this year though, because Brodie is a stud. But long term this doesn't make sense.

I actually hate this trade for both sides personally. Your comment is fairly spot on. I mean I'd have interest in Villeneuve but despise the idea of moving Barron. Anderson is too polarizing on here to begin to debate but Jarnkrok takes up the same roster space so I'd just stick with the guy we already have. Brodie is a great defender but on a 1 year deal seems stupid for a rebuilding team to trade for a veteran on an expiring deal without compensation (not that Brodie is a dump but that it's not a smart move for MTL without compensation).

I hated the original trade posted, and still hate it now... doesn't help either team imo.
TMLBRIAN liked this.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: TMLBRIAN

BUT

have to agree, not really a fan of it on either side. if the only upside for MTL is moving out anderson's contract and creating a spot for Armia (who should be in laval at this point) then its really not worth losing Baron. Leafs could make a more focused push for anderson if that was something they really wanted.
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 11:42 a.m.
Cowan Season
I’d look at this if there was a good way to take out Villeneuve. I really like Villeneuve and he’s one of 3 RD on our RD depth rn
Sep. 6, 2023 at 11:52 a.m.
Rip
Anderson costs a lot to unload and the leafs need cap space. Adding a 5 million dollar 3rd liner is a terrible way to gain space.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 12:00 p.m.
Subbanator
Habs don't even consider this. Anderson has been asked for by multiple teams and Habs have always said no and Barron looks like a solid 4-5 dman. Brodie is the only piece that the Habs could actually use and it makes no sense to take him on when he is this old and almost a UFA.

Barron > Brodie
Anderson > Jarnkrok
Norlinder & 3rd > Villienuve

All around loss for MTL
MaxBorjshlapsky liked this.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Bulklav Jr.Star 03
Saying Leafs fans don't take my head off I took the trade from maxborshlaps won't save you because they take my head off everyday lol

But superfun for me seeing someone retry my idea

I doubled down on Anderson to Leafs interesting enough was because of all the Tom Wilson to Leafs trades where Wilson has one more 20 goal season he is 2 years older I believe and he makes 6.5M for a lot more years, his next highest goal total under 20 is 14goals...so why are leaf fans begging for Wilson but talking so bad about Anderson? It makes me laugh

I think Leafs would have trouble keeping Nylander if they had Anderson and Nylander but it's a interesting contingency move.

I'm surprised the positive reaction from habs fans but jarnkrok and Brodie can definitely be a positive and only really missing one player in Anderson getting back 2 etc.

Cheers
Sep. 6, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
delete
Sep. 6, 2023 at 1:09 p.m.
"Before any Leafs fans take my head off, just note I took this from MaxBorjshlapsky AGM's and bonified it with Norlinder and a third pick."

Sep. 6, 2023 at 1:14 p.m.
Banned
Not trading Brodie
Sep. 6, 2023 at 11:01 p.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: MaxBorjshlapsky
Saying Leafs fans don't take my head off I took the trade from maxborshlaps won't save you because they take my head off everyday lol

But superfun for me seeing someone retry my idea

I doubled down on Anderson to Leafs interesting enough was because of all the Tom Wilson to Leafs trades where Wilson has one more 20 goal season he is 2 years older I believe and he makes 6.5M for a lot more years, his next highest goal total under 20 is 14goals...so why are leaf fans begging for Wilson but talking so bad about Anderson? It makes me laugh

I think Leafs would have trouble keeping Nylander if they had Anderson and Nylander but it's a interesting contingency move.

I'm surprised the positive reaction from habs fans but jarnkrok and Brodie can definitely be a positive and only really missing one player in Anderson getting back 2 etc.

Cheers

Hey, yeah happy to play with your move.. and yeah, I put your name here but thought it may save a few comments knowing it was at least based off of an idea from your fanbase. I haven’t been burned a lot, but see the Anderson deal is a debatable problem since half say Habs should keep because he’s got value, the others say Toronto don’t want an overpaid 3rd liner..

No one is ever happy here.. LOL!
Sep. 6, 2023 at 11:06 p.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: RipNasty
Anderson costs a lot to unload and the leafs need cap space. Adding a 5 million dollar 3rd liner is a terrible way to gain space.

Anderson can play left or right on a second line easily. Be that third wheel in one of the two top lines.

And if you are talking about the cap, look at the trade, it actually removes a more than a million off their books. And Anderson won’t be as much of a hit in 24-25 and beyond since the cap should move up considerably.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 11:10 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: WhoCares_ItsAFantasyGame
Anderson can play left or right on a second line easily. Be that third wheel in one of the two top lines.

And if you are talking about the cap, look at the trade, it actually removes a more than a million off their books. And Anderson won’t be as much of a hit in 24-25 and beyond since the cap should move up considerably.

Anderson wouldn't ever make it on the top 6. He's a straight line player who's also very poor defensively. He hits, cool. He doesn't help you more than he hurts you and he's never been more.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 12:00 p.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: RipNasty
Anderson wouldn't ever make it on the top 6. He's a straight line player who's also very poor defensively. He hits, cool. He doesn't help you more than he hurts you and he's never been more.

Yeah such a bad player and contract that other teams have asked about him and were told no by the Habs… but yeah, you know what, you must be right….
*facepalm
Sep. 7, 2023 at 12:04 p.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: Subbanator7667
Habs don't even consider this. Anderson has been asked for by multiple teams and Habs have always said no and Barron looks like a solid 4-5 dman. Brodie is the only piece that the Habs could actually use and it makes no sense to take him on when he is this old and almost a UFA.

Barron > Brodie
Anderson > Jarnkrok
Norlinder & 3rd > Villienuve

All around loss for MTL

According to RipNasty, Anderson is basically worthless… LOL!

I’m not debating your points.. I actually like Anderson and would wish him to go on a team that could actually use him now instead of being part of a rebuilding franchise. I’m just supporting MaxBorjshlapsky’s stance to provide Leafs a chance to go for it..
Sep. 7, 2023 at 1:05 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: WhoCares_ItsAFantasyGame
Yeah such a bad player and contract that other teams have asked about him and were told no by the Habs… but yeah, you know what, you must be right….
*facepalm

Sure bud, if anyone offered up anything for him, he wouldn't be a hab. No one is offering assets for Anderson because no one wants a 5 million dollar 3rd liner.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll