SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Colorado Avalanche signed Tomas Tatar (1 Year / $1,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 13, 2023 at 2:51 a.m.
Perhaps this isn't the grand slam home run everyone seems to think it is. I'm sure he wanted to play for a contender, but it took 10+ weeks of UFA to sign a 1-year deal at 1/3 of his previous cap hit. He's only 32.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 3:06 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
WOW, All I heard was "East coast team" when it came to rumors for Tatar so this came out of left field.

3rd line RW spot is now set with him alongside Wood-Colton it has a Jersey vibe (Either former Devils or local product).

That means training camp is going to be a really tough battle for the 4th line spots (which is fine by me) and when Kovalenko comes over from Russia.

If Tatar is a ghost come playoffs AND Landeskog is healthy (both hypotheticals I know) then it's a perfect match. If Tatar can contribute in a 3rd line role in playoffs then this is all just gravy.

It's also a hedge against Drouin not working out in the top 6.

And the Avs use up their cap space from Landeskog's LTIR which they needed to maximize before the season started to be able to accrue any amount until the deadline.

Drouin is one of the worst players in the NHL. He has been for years. The thought of him playing top 6 minutes on an elite team is pretty wild.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 8:18 a.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
No I meant "needs work"
One year he shoots 14% the next he shoots 6%. I would say his shooting is inconsistent. You can't say he Sucks because he HAS done well; just not consistently well.

Sure then break skating down into straight line skating = Good. Edge work/finesse = BAD. All you are doing is proving that he is good and some things bad at others and inconsistent at some. That doesn't mean he is purely a BAD player.

Average offense + massive defensive liability + terrible penalties = bad
Sep. 13, 2023 at 12:07 p.m.
I was surprised he got as much as he did on his last contract, and I’m surprised he got as little as he did on this one. He’s still a solid middle-6 forward who quietly puts up 20 goals. Colorado has lost a lot of good players since winning the cup, so they need signings like this to rebuild the supporting cast around their stars.

My only concern is that he hasn’t done much in the playoffs – he seems to be the guy whose ice time gets reduced to make room for a deadline acquisition – but they’re paying him 4th-line money, so he doesn’t need to do much to earn that. He should be a safe bet at 1x$1.5M.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: Brad_Treliving
Regular season hero but a playoff ghost

Like the signing though

Quoting: CBA
Dog**** in the playoffs

Quoting: drewjenkins
Homeboys got 4 points in his last 30 playoff games.

Dudes on pace for 2 healthy scratches per playoff point.

Grab your soft drink of choice, on the house, and simmer down.

Good counterpoint regarding the playoffs, but I don't think Colorado is too worried about that. The plan is to have Landeskog back for the playoffs, so Tatar needs to fill in for the regular season only. If he can add something to the third line in the playoffs (Avs are NOT a deep team) then great, if not, he'll be HS'd and money well spent.
drewjenkins liked this.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 1:51 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
Good counterpoint regarding the playoffs, but I don't think Colorado is too worried about that. The plan is to have Landeskog back for the playoffs, so Tatar needs to fill in for the regular season only. If he can add something to the third line in the playoffs (Avs are NOT a deep team) then great, if not, he'll be HS'd and money well spent.

Oh it’s a great signing, he will help at least to get into the playoffs. I voted yes, I just mentioned he wasn’t good in the postseason with MTL
CD282 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
Great signing. Sure, the playoff track record isn't good, but at that price, who cares?
Sep. 13, 2023 at 5:40 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Drouin is one of the worst players in the NHL. He has been for years. The thought of him playing top 6 minutes on an elite team is pretty wild.

Yeah OK
Sep. 14, 2023 at 2:20 a.m.
Yeah OK

Please name other top 6 Forwards on elite teams with 17G in his last 4 seasons. Take your time...

Then, name any other Forward with an AAV of over $5M who is worse than Drouin. My expectation is that you can't name anyone.
Sep. 14, 2023 at 7:36 a.m.
Please name other top 6 Forwards on elite teams with 17G in his last 4 seasons. Take your time...

Then, name any other Forward with an AAV of over $5M who is worse than Drouin. My expectation is that you can't name anyone.

You said worst player in NHL not worst goal scorers in top 6 or worse $5 million player.
Sep. 14, 2023 at 1:08 p.m.
You said worst player in NHL not worst goal scorers in top 6 or worse $5 million player.

"Drouin is one of the worst players in the NHL. He has been for years. The thought of him playing top 6 minutes on an elite team is pretty wild."

Who is worse?
Sep. 15, 2023 at 9:01 a.m.
"Drouin is one of the worst players in the NHL. He has been for years. The thought of him playing top 6 minutes on an elite team is pretty wild."

Who is worse?

Any of the several hundred if not thousand players who cleared waivers during the time span you refer to or were 4th liners/healthy scratches.

For just Forwards:
Milan Lucic
Denis Gurianov
Jordan Greenway
Mathieu Joseph
Jeff Carter
Brock McGinn
James Neal
Mikael Granlund
Mike Hoffman
Pius Suter
Anthony Beauvillier
Andreas Athanasiou (probably a push)
Nick Foligno
Corey Perry
Jason Dickinson
Craig Smith
Jakub Vrana
Kasperi Kapanen
Sean Kuraly
Josh Bailey
Anthony Mantha
Robby Fabbri
Joel Armia
I'd say Douin is close to the "assist version" of Victor Olofsson so par with him.
Eissportclub liked this.
Sep. 15, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I usually have a hard time rooting for teams that have recently won a cup, but with Jo, Lehky, and Tuna all on the same team, it’s going to be hard for me not to root for the Avs.
HockeyScotty and Eissportclub liked this.
Sep. 16, 2023 at 2:38 a.m.
Any of the several hundred if not thousand players who cleared waivers during the time span you refer to or were 4th liners/healthy scratches.

For just Forwards:
Milan Lucic
Denis Gurianov
Jordan Greenway
Mathieu Joseph
Jeff Carter
Brock McGinn
James Neal
Mikael Granlund
Mike Hoffman
Pius Suter
Anthony Beauvillier
Andreas Athanasiou (probably a push)
Nick Foligno
Corey Perry
Jason Dickinson
Craig Smith
Jakub Vrana
Kasperi Kapanen
Sean Kuraly
Josh Bailey
Anthony Mantha
Robby Fabbri
Joel Armia
I'd say Douin is close to the "assist version" of Victor Olofsson so par with him.

Olofsson had more Goals than Drouin had Assists last season! I agree that they're both one-dimensional, but Drouin is bad at his dimension (playmaking) and Olafsson is good. That's a weak comparison. Drouin does nothing well.
Sep. 16, 2023 at 12:45 p.m.
Edited Sep. 16, 2023 at 1:38 p.m.
Olofsson had more Goals than Drouin had Assists last season! I agree that they're both one-dimensional, but Drouin is bad at his dimension (playmaking) and Olafsson is good. That's a weak comparison. Drouin does nothing well.

I think I'll err on the side of what Nathan MacKinnon and GM Chris MacFarland thinks over your opinion.

“I believe, obviously, that Drouin’s skill set will definitely play well with our other skilled players,” MacFarland said. “So, I can easily envision him getting looks with Nathan, (Ryan) Johansen or whoever (coach Jared Bednar) wants to see in the top six. (Drouin) is going to have to earn that ice time to stay there. … His hands and his ability to make plays is certainly not in question.”
Sep. 16, 2023 at 2:51 p.m.
I think I'll err on the side of what Nathan MacKinnon and GM Chris MacFarland thinks over your opinion.

“I believe, obviously, that Drouin’s skill set will definitely play well with our other skilled players,” MacFarland said. “So, I can easily envision him getting looks with Nathan, (Ryan) Johansen or whoever (coach Jared Bednar) wants to see in the top six. (Drouin) is going to have to earn that ice time to stay there. … His hands and his ability to make plays is certainly not in question.”

What do you expect the GM to say? "He was terrible in MTL and he's gonna stink here, too?"

I'm not even saying that 825k for Drouin was a mistake. But to think that all of the sudden, after years of terrible play, that he's gonna be transformed into a legit top 6 player is unrealistic. He's never even been a legit top 6 forward. I understand that you wanna support your team, but you need to lower your expectations. I was attacked by Habs fans on this forum years ago when I argued against Drouin as a top 6 forward. I was right, but they couldn't look past their own biases. But results, or lack thereof, speak for themselves.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit