SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Ott - Phi Sens pushing chips into the middle

Created by: PenguinMullet68
Published: Sep. 16, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
Salary Cap: $83,500,000
Season Days: 185/186 (99%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Joseph, MathieuOttawa SenatorsNHL-$2,934,140011---0000--
Brännström, ErikOttawa SenatorsNHL-$1,989,247011---0000--
Pinto, ShaneOttawa SenatorsNHL-$0011---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Laughton, ScottPhiladelphia FlyersNHL-$2,983,871011---0000--
Tippett, OwenPhiladelphia FlyersNHL-$1,491,935011---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$895,9531843634412
Change$447,581-10-1000
Final$1,343,534 (↑)17 (↓)4362 (↓)4412000

Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersPhiladelphia Flyers

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Laughton, ScottPhiladelphia FlyersNHL-$2,983,871011---0000--
Tippett, OwenPhiladelphia FlyersNHL-$1,491,935011---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Joseph, MathieuOttawa SenatorsNHL-$2,934,140011---0000--
Brännström, ErikOttawa SenatorsNHL-$1,989,247011---0000--
Pinto, ShaneOttawa SenatorsNHL-$0011---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$867,9052247694714
Change-$447,581101000
Final$420,324 (↓)23 (↑)4770 (↑)4714000
Should the Sens push more chips into the middle ?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 16, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
I can see benefits for both teams. Ottawa gets a little better and saves some cap space while Philadelphia gets a little younger. My only question is whether this is enough of a return for Philadelphia or they think they could get more from somebody else for those guys. I'd like to know what Flyers fans think.
Sep. 16, 2023 at 7:51 p.m.
Philly says we'll take Pinto but you'll have to replace the 2 trash players with something we want.
Sep. 16, 2023 at 10:55 p.m.
Edited Sep. 16, 2023 at 11:01 p.m.
Quoting: MoxNix
Philly says we'll take Pinto but you'll have to replace the 2 trash players with something we want.

It's an interesting idea nonetheless. Sure, Pinto is a center and one may always argue that centers hold more value. Tippett had a nice little offensive breakout with 27 goals and 49 points, -17, a "Tortorella Turn-Around", if you will. Pinto had the 20 goals and 35 points, -21. One side will say Tippett has already shown more offence, the other will say Pinto has the promise and is a center.

Maybe Brannstrom really is just an average joe D-man. A floater type, destined for deadline trades and a 7-8 team career. Joseph, while not panning out in Ottawa, might be another "Tortorella Turn-Around" if he gets the proper coaching/opportunity, etc. Not saying he didn't get it in Ottawa, I have no idea, but a Torts pump-up speech could be all the young man needs.

Facetious, to a degree, but also think Joseph isn't a total dud. He has a chance to be better still, I think.

Therefore, I think it is broken down into two parts as so: Tippett for Pinto, and then Joseph and Brannstrom for Laughton. When put that way, I think the Flyers may want a little more (better) for Laughton than Brannstrom and Joseph. They seem to have assigned a high value to Laughton when offered deals for him last season.
Sep. 16, 2023 at 11:21 p.m.
Danny B is here
Quoting: jr400
I can see benefits for both teams. Ottawa gets a little better and saves some cap space while Philadelphia gets a little younger. My only question is whether this is enough of a return for Philadelphia or they think they could get more from somebody else for those guys. I'd like to know what Flyers fans think.

It’s not Tippett is worth more than that entire return alone lol
Sep. 16, 2023 at 11:25 p.m.
Danny B is here
Quoting: Augustus
It's an interesting idea nonetheless. Sure, Pinto is a center and one may always argue that centers hold more value. Tippett had a nice little offensive breakout with 27 goals and 49 points, -17, a "Tortorella Turn-Around", if you will. Pinto had the 20 goals and 35 points, -21. One side will say Tippett has already shown more offence, the other will say Pinto has the promise and is a center.

Maybe Brannstrom really is just an average joe D-man. A floater type, destined for deadline trades and a 7-8 team career. Joseph, while not panning out in Ottawa, might be another "Tortorella Turn-Around" if he gets the proper coaching/opportunity, etc. Not saying he didn't get it in Ottawa, I have no idea, but a Torts pump-up speech could be all the young man needs.

Facetious, to a degree, but also think Joseph isn't a total dud. He has a chance to be better still, I think.

Therefore, I think it is broken down into two parts as so: Tippett for Pinto, and then Joseph and Brannstrom for Laughton. When put that way, I think the Flyers may want a little more (better) for Laughton than Brannstrom and Joseph. They seem to have assigned a high value to Laughton when offered deals for him last season.

Joseph is a pure and complete cap dump. Brannstrom isn’t worth much. The trade breaks down like this:

Joseph and Brannstrom for Future considerations (Branny is the price for dumping Joseph)
Pinto for Tippett (Tippett is literally better than Pinto idc about promise or position it means nothing until you actually reach ur promise, Tippett has more value flat out so this already don’t enough for Tippett)
Laughton for ….. nothing (I mean do I even need to say anything here? They turned down a 1st and 2nd for him already)

In short this trade is two 1st round picks minimum away from being worth it for the Flyers lol. It’s really not close.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 12:13 a.m.
Quoting: GMDannyB
Joseph is a pure and complete cap dump. Brannstrom isn’t worth much. The trade breaks down like this:

Joseph and Brannstrom for Future considerations (Branny is the price for dumping Joseph)
Pinto for Tippett (Tippett is literally better than Pinto idc about promise or position it means nothing until you actually reach ur promise, Tippett has more value flat out so this already don’t enough for Tippett)
Laughton for ….. nothing (I mean do I even need to say anything here? They turned down a 1st and 2nd for him already)

In short this trade is two 1st round picks minimum away from being worth it for the Flyers lol. It’s really not close.

I may not know enough about some of these players, who knows. At his cap hit, Joseph is a dump right now, yes, but again, perhaps he is worth more than being a contract dump. New spot could let him do it. Not saying he'll be great, just maybe not nothing.

It will certainly be typical for anyone to argue that the center position is more important. Regardless, I think Greig can play center for Ottawa when he makes it, Giroux can move there, I think Tippett would be great in Ottawa, either in addition to, or eventually to replace Tarasenko if he doesn't re-sign, for their right wing.

We're just valuing it a bit differently, but as implied in my first post, I do think the Flyers will want more than this current offer too.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 12:45 a.m.
See you space cowboy
Flyers decline. They just got their breakout season from Tip and aren't gonna trade it in hopes of having another guy do the same thing at what will be a more expensive deal. Laughts is also probably sticking around as a veteran mentor. Brannstrom is a bottom 4 guy and Joseph is currently a cap dump. Nothing here is worth losing Tip to gamble again on Pinto just because he's a center and two years younger.
GMDannyB and MoxNix liked this.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 7:20 a.m.
Good discussion. I thought the Flyers might be interested because it makes them younger (Laughton is 29), but it looks like I over-valued Brannstrom and Joseph. I can see that if they're negative assets, it doesn't make sense for Philadelphia to give up two guys on good contracts for two guys on bad contracts and a RFA (albeit one who shouldn't cost much to sign because he's a 10.2(c)). How much they value Pinto depends on how much upside they think he has, whether they think he has a good chance of being significantly better than Tippett, but the other pieces don't work. Not that they're cap challenged, but they should be able to make better use of the cap space.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 7:50 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Tippett is coming off of a good season. I don't think his value is as high as people think, because he struggled so much on Florida. I think he would need to prove he is the real deal by repeating it.

With that said, I don't see why he would be included in this trade. It would be either Tippett or Laughton, not both. Brannstrom doesn't have much value. Pinto has more value than Tippett or Laughton, but he isn't worth both of them PLUS Philadelphia taking Joseph. Brannstrom isn't enough to bridge that gap.

It also doesn't make much sense with Ottawa's lineup. There won't be a spot for Tippett in the top 6 at ES, and there may not be a spot for him on either PP unit. In Philadelphia, he got big PP minutes last year and had a major role. Ottawa already has Batherson and Giroux on the right side at even strength in the top six.

Lastly, if Tippett scores close to 30 goals again he's getting at minimum 5M on a shorter term deal. Ottawa likely wants to try to retain Tarasenko based on Dorion originally offering him a long term deal, there won't be cap space to pay Tippett. Tippett is unlikely to score that much in Ottawa due to the same role as he has in Philadelphia not being available to him, which again means including him in the trade would be pointless value wise. Laughton makes more sense because he can be a defensive center.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit