Forums/Armchair-GM

Zegres holtz misc

Created by: tyshow89
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 17, 2023
Published: Sep. 17, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Couple of different trades, I could see the Habs interested in.. ( definitely not all of them)
Roster is mid/ late season..although
Hutson and reinbacher take D spots in a year/ maybe to end the year.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,900,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Zegras, Trevor [RFA Rights]
ANA
  1. Harris, Jordan
  2. Mesar, Filip
  3. Primeau, Cayden
  4. Ylönen, Jesse
  5. 2024 1st round pick (MTL)
  6. 2025 2nd round pick (PIT)
MTL
  1. Holtz, Alexander
  2. Vanecek, Vitek
  3. 2025 1st round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. DeSmith, Casey
  3. 2025 4th round pick (DET)
MTL
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. Bourgault, Xavier
  2. Campbell, Jack
  3. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (EDM)
EDM
MTL
    Future considerations
    CHI
    1. Vanecek, Vitek
    2. 2024 3rd round pick (MIN)
    MTL
    1. 2024 1st round pick (NYR)
    MTL
    1. 2024 2nd round pick (OTT)
    OTT
    1. Kovacevic, Johnathan
    2. 2025 3rd round pick (MTL)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,500,000$68,922,916$1,170,000$5,160,000$14,577,084
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $7,900,000$7,900,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    C
    UFA - 7
    $7,850,000$7,850,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 8
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    $3,362,500$3,362,500
    C, RW
    RFA - 3
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 4
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    $2,900,000$2,900,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 4
    $835,000$835,000 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 3
    $812,500$812,500
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,875,000$4,875,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $828,333$828,333
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 18, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
    Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
    These Chicago fans kill me. They get a starter whose worth at least a secons and a third for future considerations. Ofc they jump on that, logjam or not

I mean... SnowHawk isn't wrong. We don't really have room for him and probably wouldn't have much interest aside from flipping him. But yeah, literally just sit or waive Mrazek, then play Vanacek until we can trade him, he'd bring back a decent haul on top of the 3rd we would already be getting.
    Sep. 18, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
    Quoting: Snowhawk18
    SOME of these Montreal fans kill me, they know absolutely nothing about a team, the team’s organizational depth or rebuilding plan and yet they spew nonsense.

The Hawks have their goaltending spots spoken for all through the organization with several young guys staggered in their development path to ensure there are growth opportunities and a succession plan.

NHL - Mrazek on the last year of his deal at $3.8m and Soderblom who is 24, highly thought of by the organization and had success for two seasons in the AHL. Has had exposure to the NHL the last two season, so it is now time to find out if he is part of the future. He will be in Chicago and has to play to continue to develop.

AHL - Stauber (24) coming off his first professional season where actually had better results in Chicago than he did in Rockford, looks promising. Commesso (22) - former 2nd round pick and thought by many to be the Hawks goalie of the future. Was the starter for USDTP and Boston College, also chosen to represent the U.S. at the Olympic and World Championships. Entering his first professional season. Both of these guys are young and developing so they need to play. There is no room for a veteran in Rockford since they need to develop these prospect.

ECHL - Weekes, former Sudbury Wolves goalie will probably be the emergency backup for Rockford.

Basse - going into his senior season with St. Cloud State and coming off a fantastic season.

Gajan - 2nd round pick this past draft, coming off a fantastic season where he was one of the unexpected standouts at the world junior tournament. Will start the year in the USHL.

Sooo, considering the Hawks are a rebuilding team with no misconceptions about being a playoff challenger this year you have to expect the young guys will play to ensure they continue on a good development path. That means if a veteran goalie is acquired; in this case Vanecek; he and his $3.4m will be in the press box or Mrazek and his $3.8m will be in the press box which is piss poor utilization of cap space.

Now will Davidson go out and acquire another goalie, highly unlikely however, if the team he trades with is willing to add a decent sweetener it is possible. So what is a decent sweetener? Well this is where it comes down to knowing team/GM. If you look at Davidson’s recent trade history you would quickly realize that for taking on $3.4m for two season a 3rd round pick will not get the job done, especially given the fact that goaltender is NOT a position of need.

- Dickinson (two years $2.75m) and a 2nd round pick. Centre was a position of need and they also dump Stillman’s contract in the deal.
    - Zaitsev (one and quarter years $4.5m), 2nd round and 4th round picks.
    - Bailey (one year $5m bought out) and a 2nd round pick. Deal was made to ensure they would have no problem reaching the cap floor.

Now if Mrazek gets hurt which is highly likely given his history of injuries and having fragile groins then that may change but until then significant incentives will need to be included for a deal like the proposal mentioned above to happen.

Also, the deal that has Vanecek going to Montreal is crap for New Jersey and would never happen.

I think if you are getting paid to take Vanacek, you do it. It's pretty much guaranteed Mrazek is gonna get hurt, but it is also pretty much guaranteed that we would have trade interest in Vanacek before he even has a chance to put a Hawks sweater on. But, like you said, the initial trade never happens. Plus, no GM in their right mind would pay to dump him.
    MisstheWhalers liked this.
    Sep. 18, 2023 at 4:01 p.m.
    do not Devil my ass
    Quoting: YeahDudeitsChris
    Anderson with some retention for a 4th rounder and you got a deal.

Why?
    That's still a 3m+ 14th forward with term for the Devils.
    Clarke, Holtz and Foote are all likely just as good as Anderson come October with a ton of room left to develop.
    Trading a 4th for Anderson even with heavy retention wouldn't accomplish anything for the Devils (or any team for that matter) other than setting some amount of cap space on fire, wasting a draft pick and a roster spot.
    Sep. 18, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
    Edited Dec. 23, 2023 at 9:37 p.m.
    Well well, I see a lot of angry folks.. well individual replies is a bit too much for me.. but I'll sum up a couple of thoughts..
    Personally I believe Vanacek isnt that great( see playoff stats) and NJ will be playing smid and looking for a reliable back up. Especially if he has a rough start to the season.
    So given that goalies don't have much value aside from a select few, I do think they will pay a bit to relieve themselves of that caphit/ contract.

Also to those saying none of those trades will remotely happen.. il say I guarantee, one if not more happens in value, maybe not to specific teams..

Ps love the long rant about Chicago great line of goaltenders... to ultimately say that mrazak could get injured..... I think if you poll most fans they would say Chicago's current tandem is the worst in the league, so anything can happen.
    Sep. 18, 2023 at 5:15 p.m.
    Prime Primeau
    SOME of these Montreal fans kill me, they know absolutely nothing about a team, the team’s organizational depth or rebuilding plan and yet they spew nonsense.

The Hawks have their goaltending spots spoken for all through the organization with several young guys staggered in their development path to ensure there are growth opportunities and a succession plan.

NHL - Mrazek on the last year of his deal at $3.8m and Soderblom who is 24, highly thought of by the organization and had success for two seasons in the AHL. Has had exposure to the NHL the last two season, so it is now time to find out if he is part of the future. He will be in Chicago and has to play to continue to develop.

AHL - Stauber (24) coming off his first professional season where actually had better results in Chicago than he did in Rockford, looks promising. Commesso (22) - former 2nd round pick and thought by many to be the Hawks goalie of the future. Was the starter for USDTP and Boston College, also chosen to represent the U.S. at the Olympic and World Championships. Entering his first professional season. Both of these guys are young and developing so they need to play. There is no room for a veteran in Rockford since they need to develop these prospect.

ECHL - Weekes, former Sudbury Wolves goalie will probably be the emergency backup for Rockford.

Basse - going into his senior season with St. Cloud State and coming off a fantastic season.

Gajan - 2nd round pick this past draft, coming off a fantastic season where he was one of the unexpected standouts at the world junior tournament. Will start the year in the USHL.

Sooo, considering the Hawks are a rebuilding team with no misconceptions about being a playoff challenger this year you have to expect the young guys will play to ensure they continue on a good development path. That means if a veteran goalie is acquired; in this case Vanecek; he and his $3.4m will be in the press box or Mrazek and his $3.8m will be in the press box which is piss poor utilization of cap space.

Now will Davidson go out and acquire another goalie, highly unlikely however, if the team he trades with is willing to add a decent sweetener it is possible. So what is a decent sweetener? Well this is where it comes down to knowing team/GM. If you look at Davidson’s recent trade history you would quickly realize that for taking on $3.4m for two season a 3rd round pick will not get the job done, especially given the fact that goaltender is NOT a position of need.

- Dickinson (two years $2.75m) and a 2nd round pick. Centre was a position of need and they also dump Stillman’s contract in the deal.
    - Zaitsev (one and quarter years $4.5m), 2nd round and 4th round picks.
    - Bailey (one year $5m bought out) and a 2nd round pick. Deal was made to ensure they would have no problem reaching the cap floor.

Now if Mrazek gets hurt which is highly likely given his history of injuries and having fragile groins then that may change but until then significant incentives will need to be included for a deal like the proposal mentioned above to happen.

Also, the deal that has Vanecek going to Montreal is crap for New Jersey and would never happen.

Wow, it’s almost as we can’t flip a player
    Sep. 18, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.
    Prime Primeau
    Quoting: Garak
    I mean... SnowHawk isn't wrong. We don't really have room for him and probably wouldn't have much interest aside from flipping him. But yeah, literally just sit or waive Mrazek, then play Vanacek until we can trade him, he'd bring back a decent haul on top of the 3rd we would already be getting.

Yeah, hawks have no need for a goalie. Like the habs have no need for a winger. But if someone offers us a third to take a guy like Beauvillier, we accept and flip him for another third. Simple asset management
    MisstheWhalers and CD282 liked this.
    Sep. 18, 2023 at 5:46 p.m.
    Snowhawk
    Quoting: Garak
    I think if you are getting paid to take Vanacek, you do it. It's pretty much guaranteed Mrazek is gonna get hurt, but it is also pretty much guaranteed that we would have trade interest in Vanacek before he even has a chance to put a Hawks sweater on. But, like you said, the initial trade never happens. Plus, no GM in their right mind would pay to dump him.

Yes you take him if you are getting paid ENOUGH, a 3rd round pick for two years of a $3.4m cap hit isn’t enough. That cap space can be used for a better return elsewhere.
    Garak liked this.
    Sep. 18, 2023 at 6:17 p.m.
    Yes you take him if you are getting paid ENOUGH, a 3rd round pick for two years of a $3.4m cap hit isn’t enough. That cap space can be used for a better return elsewhere.

Honestly, this isn't even worth arguing about, because it would never happen to begin with. I guess if we are just talking about it as a contract dump transaction, without considering the player involved, sure. I just think, in this specific case, I wouldn't ask questions because I think we could move him before the season even starts, if we wanted to, and make an easy profit for no apparent reason. I also don't think carrying 3 goalies would be a bad thing if we want to let Commesso cook and not disturb his development in the AHL this early on when Mrazek inevitably gets hurt. But I get what you are saying, and in most cases with most players I would completely agree.
    Snowhawk18 liked this.
    Sep. 19, 2023 at 2:52 a.m.
    do not Devil my ass
    Quoting: tyshow89
    Personally I believe Vanacek isnt that great( see playoff stats) and NJ will be playing smid and looking for a reliable back up. Especially if he has a rough start to the season.
    So given that goalies don't have much value aside from a select few, I do think they will pay a bit to relieve themselves of that caphit/ contract.

I don't think anyone believes Vanecek to be a great goalie. Most people view him accurately like the average NHL starter that he is.
    The thing is that you seem to be getting Vanecek's capability and role with the Devils all wrong. He's not their backup, he's most likely going to be sharing the net 50-50 with Schmid.
    Paying 3.4m for NHL average goaltending (which we'd expect Vanecek to provide) is perfectly reasonable. He's not a capdump, the Devils have no burning desire to move his contract of the books and certainly not while paying a 1st, Holtz AND taking an actual capdump in Josh Anderson back.
    I mean Vanecek is every bit as good as Casey DeSmith is, if not a fair bit better than him.

There's no logic, no rhyme or reason in what you've been saying here...

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll