SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Anaheim Ducks

Training Camp/Preseason

Sep. 25, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
Not sure if any of you guys made it to training camp at all or have been watching much preseason/rookie camp, but I went to GPI on Saturday and caught some things I figured I would share here to get us off the topic of Zegras and Drysdale. Would love to hear your thoughts on anyone if you went. Side note: I am far from a scout, or even an X's and O's guy, so take in all my notes with a grain of salt

Jones - Looked so happy to be there, was yelling and having a good time. He just looked like he had twice the energy of anyone else there. His skating looked confident, and he looked in mid season form. Could definitely see a breakout season for him this year.
Carlsson - His skating looked more than fine, had power to his strides and was picking up speed. Looks like he could use some practice in applying the brakes, but overall thought he looked good.
Warren - I thought he looked really solid. You can really tell how big he is from the glass, and his positioning was great, good stick placement in front of the net keeping the attacking players stick tied up. Always finding a way to put himself between the goalie and the opposing attacker. Once he is playing against real opposition, his physicality and size should shine. Good to see too because I am not sure we have too many guys who can get dirty clearing the crease
McTavish - Wasn't playing at training camp, but I did see him sitting on the bench watching for a bit, wonder what is keeping him out as there have been no announcements or anything
Lacombe - Looked like a vet out there. His play was really solid, no mistakes, always in the right place, keeping his head up and scanning the ice. I'm excited to see what he can do this year assuming he makes the roster. With Zell and Minty being the prized pieces, I think Lacombe is getting overlooked a bit, I really liked what I saw from him. Didnt watch last nights game, but apparently he shined too, so all positive signs
Silf - Not sure if he is playing hurt or what, but he looked lazy out there. Don't want to put too much into it as its training camp and idk what he was being asked to do out there, but looked like he needs some conditioning.
Alexander - Again, this is just training camp and he's taking shots on short drills, but dude looked like swiss cheese out there letting a lot of goals through for such a big man
Groulx - Was playing fairly well, but his offensive abilities definitely leave a little to be desired, very little puck skill from what I saw. As a 4th line defensive center though, I think he can fill that role
Agozzino - Playing like his hair was on fire, high energy, looked like he was fighting for his career out there
Gudas - Looked as promised, cant wait til his physical game can be on display because he was out there halting checks and chest bumping dudes. He is going to be a lot of fun to watch this year
Zell - Skating was elite as expected, but his defensive game was definitely needing work, seemed to play like a smaller player getting kind of pushed around, which concerns me a little because it leaves a huge question mark on whether his defensive game will ever develop. Very small sample size of course, but hoping I just caught him at a bad time
Leason - Looked pretty solid out there, wouldnt be surprised if he makes the roster on opening night. Saw him snipe like 3 goals which I did not know he could do
Coach Cronin - Starting to really like this hire (not that I ever was against it), he was out there very involved and vocal with the players, seems to command the respect of guys out there without being a total hard ass. Kept the practices focused and involved. Looking forward to what he can do to turn this team around, I think he is the exact type of coach that can spark this team to play hard every night and be miserable to play against, running lots of puck pressure drills

Again, I will reiterate I am no scout and I only saw very small sample sizes, but was pretty fun getting a look at some of these guys who Ive mostly only been reading about. Got me pretty excited for the season.
Sep. 25, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
Sep. 25, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
@OldNYIfan @Salzy @Lenny7 + anyone I am forgetting
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 26, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
LosPatos
Nice coverage honestly. I wasn’t able to make it out so I’m glad someone caught some highlights.

Silfverberg needs to retire man. The worst part is he’ll have a confirmed roster spot, and if he looks like **** that just makes it worse for his like
GeneralLandro liked this.
Sep. 27, 2023 at 7:58 p.m.
Quoting: LosPatos
Nice coverage honestly. I wasn’t able to make it out so I’m glad someone caught some highlights.

Silfverberg needs to retire man. The worst part is he’ll have a confirmed roster spot, and if he looks like **** that just makes it worse for his like

Makes me sad honestly, he was one of my favorites in his prime. Plus he has the greatest goal scoring chant ever
LosPatos liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 11:26 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Really pulling for Jonesy to have a break out season as a complementary piece for the top 6. Watching him vs the Kings tonight, he's using his body and being a pest on front of the net and pursuing pucka into the boards.

Watching the Butcher at the preseason game vs the Sharks, he is as advertised. I know he's a short timer, but I might just get myself a jersey.

Really, really happy with what I'm seeing out of Carlsson, this kid is going to be SO good. 90% the creativity and playmaking of Zegras in a 6'3" frame and a solid two way game.

As to the defenseman, well there's some work to do there on their own zone. The talent and speed is there, just need to understand when and where in their own zone better.
Oct. 4, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Really pulling for Jonesy to have a break out season as a complementary piece for the top 6. Watching him vs the Kings tonight, he's using his body and being a pest on front of the net and pursuing pucka into the boards.

Watching the Butcher at the preseason game vs the Sharks, he is as advertised. I know he's a short timer, but I might just get myself a jersey.

Really, really happy with what I'm seeing out of Carlsson, this kid is going to be SO good. 90% the creativity and playmaking of Zegras in a 6'3" frame and a solid two way game.

As to the defenseman, well there's some work to do there on their own zone. The talent and speed is there, just need to understand when and where in their own zone better.

Thought both Gudas and Jones looked good last night. If we are as bad as we were last year, we should at least be more fun to watch. Even last night, the Kings basically started their opening night lineup and we looked pretty rough in the 1st and 3rd periods, but the added element of physicality kept me interested.

Im a Max Jones sympathizer, but Im not so sure he will be a steady presence in the top 6. Just not sure he has the tools in the O zone to stay in a top 6 role unless we are injury riddled.
Oct. 4, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Edited Oct. 4, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
Quoting: TrevorsZebras
Thought both Gudas and Jones looked good last night. If we are as bad as we were last year, we should at least be more fun to watch. Even last night, the Kings basically started their opening night lineup and we looked pretty rough in the 1st and 3rd periods, but the added element of physicality kept me interested.

Im a Max Jones sympathizer, but Im not so sure he will be a steady presence in the top 6. Just not sure he has the tools in the O zone to stay in a top 6 role unless we are injury riddled.

Watching him in juniors, and reading a lot of his draft profiles (he was a dark horse candidate to go as high as Tkachuk) I think he's got the tools, but he's been horribly deployed. Cronin seems to understand he needs to be used the same way Killorn was in Tampa, just because he doesn't get a touch doesn't mean he didn't contribute to the goal. Be a screen, cause chaos, jam at rebounds, just generally be a menace in front of the net to distract the goalie and the D so guys like Z and Terry can go to work. I'd like to see him replace Henrique in that capacity. His speed for a guy his size and general defensive responsibility I think would make him a good 2LW going forward. I think for a long time Comtois seemed like a better fit given his one breakout season, but now that he's gone, a 2nd like on Jones Zegras Terry in a year or two a time when we bring in another top RW would do well.
Oct. 4, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Watching him in juniors, and reading a lot of his draft profiles (he was a dark horse candidate to go as high as Tkachuk) I think he's got the tools, but he's been horribly deployed. Cronin seems to understand he needs to be used the same way Killorn was in Tampa, just because he doesn't get a touch doesn't mean he didn't contribute to the goal. Be a screen, cause chaos, jam at rebounds, just generally be a menace in front of the net to distract the goalie and the D so guys like Z and Terry can go to work. I'd like to see him replace Henrique in that capacity. His speed for a guy his size and general defensive responsibility I think would make him a good 2LW going forward. I think for a long time Comtois seemed like a better fit given his one breakout season, but now that he's gone, a 2nd like on Jones Zegras Terry in a year or two a time when we bring in another top RW would do well.

I hope you are right, he is just such a fun player to watch out there. The Ducks could certainly use a net front presence in their top 6 so he could definitely see time there.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll