SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Anaheim Ducks signed Trevor Zegras (3 Years / $5,750,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 3, 2023 at 2:39 p.m.
Quoting: drambui
QO doesnt work like this anymore since last year. Old contracts have grand father clause, but new ones the QO is just the cap hit.

Backloading the contract can still result in a qualifying offer that's greater than the AAV, but it's capped at 120% of the AAV. For example, if a contract has an AAV of $5M but the final year's salary is $8M, the QO would be $6M. If it's a grandfathered contract (signed before they changed the QO rules), it would be $8M.
RawDeal liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
...even greater deal for us Anaheim CF fans so now the moronic ACGMs trading him for nonsensical returns will stop.

Actually, his trade value should go up now that he's signed. (I don't think they'll trade him, but we can still pretend.)
Oct. 3, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
45 for Norris.
Quoting: GeneralLandro
Don’t like the deal??

I like it, i just feel like Z will ask for a crap ton of money at the end of it.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
Backloading the contract can still result in a qualifying offer that's greater than the AAV, but it's capped at 120% of the AAV. For example, if a contract has an AAV of $5M but the final year's salary is $8M, the QO would be $6M. If it's a grandfathered contract (signed before they changed the QO rules), it would be $8M.

thanks for clarifying that up!
RawDeal liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 5:16 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: Manson
I like it, i just feel like Z will ask for a crap ton of money at the end of it.

He's got three years to prove he's worth a crap ton of just a ton.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
Steve Durbano Fan
Edited Oct. 3, 2023 at 5:30 p.m.
Like the contract but cannot understand the rationale for 3 years. This will result in Zegras electing arbitration on a 1 year deal and then walking as a UFA. 2 years would have made him consider a long contract when it expired as 6.9 a season for 2 years is not going to be appealing when 11 or 12 million will be attainable in making 8x 9 appealing. After only 1 more season of these tightwads he can max out with the highest bidder. Funny how Terry is going to make quite a bit more that Zegras when Zegras is the only reason he is better than the third line. Room dynamic will be awesome.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 8:39 p.m.
Quoting: Steve_Durbanofan11
Like the contract but cannot understand the rationale for 3 years. This will result in Zegras electing arbitration on a 1 year deal and then walking as a UFA.

According to CapFriendly, he still won't be eligible for arbitration when he comes out of this, so he may have to negotiate another bridge contract and give them two more years if he wants to fast-track his way to unrestricted free agency, but I agree that this contract seems to be setting him up for a way out or a big payday to stay.

Quoting: Steve_Durbanofan11
Funny how Terry is going to make quite a bit more that Zegras when Zegras is the only reason he is better than the third line. Room dynamic will be awesome.

I think that's the way Zegras wanted it. He's betting on being able to cash in on his next deal. Terry's a few years ahead of Zegras. He's on his cash-in contract now. So I don't think Zegras will be upset that Terry's making more because he's planning to leapfrog him in 3 years.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
No regretzkys
Anaheim is making a mistake here...
Should be locked in for 8.
Oct. 6, 2023 at 1:09 a.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Again with the "he's been insulted, he's been treated like crap" stuff. You know why they're called rumours? Because there's no evidence. If he was really THAT pissed he wouldn't have signed with the team...

Anaheim has his rights. He either signed with them or he doesn't play this season. He wouldn't be the first player to sign a contract with a team he doesn't want to play for, because he's an RFA.
Oct. 6, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
Anaheim has his rights. He either signed with them or he doesn't play this season. He wouldn't be the first player to sign a contract with a team he doesn't want to play for, because he's an RFA.

Or, he could have been traded, like several high profile RFAs that wanted out of town. DeBrincat, PLD, Laine, etc.

Or he could be like one of the multiple athletes that have held out for their second contract and are perfectly happy where they are.

We're some feathers ruffled in negotiations? Sure, does this torpedo the relationship between the front office and the player? No, that's just media flipping nothing burgers because they have nothing better to do.
Oct. 6, 2023 at 9:34 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Or, he could have been traded, like several high profile RFAs that wanted out of town. DeBrincat, PLD, Laine, etc.

Do you know how rare that is? And the players who demand it tend to get a reputation that hurts the rest of their careers.
Oct. 12, 2023 at 11:50 a.m.
Steve Durbano Fan
Quoting: jr400
According to CapFriendly, he still won't be eligible for arbitration when he comes out of this, so he may have to negotiate another bridge contract and give them two more years if he wants to fast-track his way to unrestricted free agency, but I agree that this contract seems to be setting him up for a way out or a big payday to stay.

My guess is Cap Friendly is not showing him eligible because he has not played his 4th season yet. However by expiration he will have 6 years of service and will be arbitration eligible in the current CBA format.

I think that's the way Zegras wanted it. He's betting on being able to cash in on his next deal. Terry's a few years ahead of Zegras. He's on his cash-in contract now. So I don't think Zegras will be upset that Terry's making more because he's planning to leapfrog him in 3 years.

I am sure Zegras will cash in on his next deal. The contract for Terry was a serious overpay so hopefully Zegras is just happy for a teammate taking advantage of an inexperienced GM despite the hardline taken in dealing with him. If I am Zegras though I am not liking the message in the money though.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit