Forums/Armchair-GM

More Space Than it Seems

Created by: cnick19
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 19, 2023
Published: Nov. 24, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don't think Nylander will cost 12 MM. That number is inflated to reflect the worst case scenario. Even at that number, there is a tonne more space to fill other needs.

Obviously, the rest of the numbers are guesses, but the point is if we need to sign Willy to a big ticket, we can pretty easily.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
8$12,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Guy, RD
4$6,000,000
Backup, Goalie
2$2,000,000
Extra, D-Man
2$1,000,000
Third Line, Center
4$3,500,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,500,000$86,576,333$0$0$923,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$12,000,000$12,000,000
RW
UFA - 8
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Third Line, Center
$3,500,000$3,500,000
$935,833$935,833
LW, C
RFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Guy, RD
$6,000,000$6,000,000
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
RFA
Backup, Goalie
$2,000,000$2,000,000
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$845,833$845,833
C, LW
RFA - 2
Extra, D-Man
$1,000,000$1,000,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:07 a.m.
Banned
Leafs decline to give Nylander more then 11 that’s the most anyone is gonna give him and zero chance we scratch Minten that’s the 3rd line center
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:12 a.m.
Quoting: Kinger25
Leafs decline to give Nylander more then 11 that’s the most anyone is gonna give him and zero chance we scratch Minten that’s the 3rd line center

My point is less about "is signing him a good idea?" and more about the people who say we can't afford to give another guy double digits. Because we demonstrably can (and IMO probably should).

Also 12MM was an exaggeration, Id also like him between 10 and 11.
Kinger25 liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:15 a.m.
Dubas spoiled you into believing it was that easy to find value at the bottom of the barrel.

Look at how poorly Brad did comparatively.

I give Dubas alot of 💩 for the Tavares signing and mismanaging the other big contracts, but his ability to find good players for next to nothing was undeniable.

There's definitely no worry of not being able to afford Nylander, it'll just be tight and really dependent on a few good ELCs.
GMBL and palhal liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:28 a.m.
Quoting: oilfire
Dubas spoiled you into believing it was that easy to find value at the bottom of the barrel.

I give Dubas alot of 💩 for the Tavares signing and mismanaging the other big contracts, but his ability to find good players for next to nothing was undeniable.

There's definitely no worry of not being able to afford Nylander, it'll just be tight and really dependent on a few good ELCs.

Treliving hasn't really had the need to go to the bottom much, it's just Reaves as a 4th liner and he wasn't able to convince a guy like Lucic instead. You can count depth defenders like Benoit and Laegesson as possible 6th/7ths and 3rd string goalie in Jones who might have had to be the backup if Woll faltered I guess.

Knies, Woll, McCabe, Liljegren, Timmins, and Giordano pretty much allowed him to spend big, but we will see next year and after that how he does.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:33 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
It isn't a question if the Leafs can afford Nylander, it's whether they think he worth the let's the 10 m cap. and seven year term.
Nylander and 1m 4th winger cost 11m in total. Are the Leafs better let's say signing Bertuzzi and Toffellli for 5.5m each a total of 11m? That's the question Trevling (who I don't think is a good GM), will have to decide. The other factor is Nylander has been great this season. But really if you think his normal season is 35 goals and 45 assists.....is he worth more than 10m?
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:36 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

One reason I hated so many of Dubai's TDL deals was the Leafs gave up so much in draft picks, which prevented the use of ELCs....cause they didn't have any.
All those picks given away all for one playoff round win in six years.
oilfire liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:39 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Treliving hasn't really had the need to go to the bottom much, it's just Reaves as a 4th liner and he wasn't able to convince a guy like Lucic instead. You can count depth defenders like Benoit and Laegesson as possible 6th/7ths and 3rd string goalie in Jones who might have had to be the backup if Woll faltered I guess.

Knies, Woll, McCabe, Liljegren, Timmins, and Giordano pretty much allowed him to spend big, but we will see next year and after that how he does.

That was kinda my point, he goes big, he really didn't do too bad, he really missed on Klingberg. Domi and Bertuzzi are hard to argue against. None of those were tough adds though. I would have made those adds.

Bunting out of nowhere is pure magic. And other stuff he did I can’t remember off the top of my head. Reclamation projects, trading up for more picks. He was sneaky. Isn't Timmins one of his sneaky moves?
GMBL liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:41 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
It isn't a question if the Leafs can afford Nylander, it's whether they think he worth the let's the 10 m cap. and seven year term.
Nylander and 1m 4th winger cost 11m in total. Are the Leafs better let's say signing Bertuzzi and Toffellli for 5.5m each a total of 11m? That's the question Trevling (who I don't think is a good GM), will have to decide. The other factor is Nylander has been great this season. But really if you think his normal season is 35 goals and 45 assists.....is he worth more than 10m?

Hes a point per game in the playoffs every single year. I'm not concerned with his season point totals, its about his ability to take over shifts and score in big moments when its needed. Also I personally would much rather Will at 11 than Toffoli and Bertuzzi but I understand your point about spreading the wealth.
palhal liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:47 a.m.

This would be a fair point if I didn't construct the team already with mostly returning guys and RFAs. There is no need to bargain hunt, and the placeholder guys are 6 mill and 3.5, hardly bottom of the barrel pay cheques.

Also, I don't really like Tre as a GM at all, but in his defense, Lagesson, Gregor and Benoit look like excellent signings. Not to mention his only abject failures so far IMO are Reaves and Klingberg.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:48 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: cnick19
Hes a point per game in the playoffs every single year. I'm not concerned with his season point totals, its about his ability to take over shifts and score in big moments when its needed. Also I personally would much rather Will at 11 than Toffoli and Bertuzzi but I understand your point about spreading the wealth.

You're right about Nylander in the playoffs. So many ill informed folks think Nylander is soft and doesn't show up the playoffs. Much of the Leafs downfall at playoff time in past years hasn't been their defensive play either. It's been poor production by Matthews, Tavares and Marner.
Yep, a GMs job is to project what going to do in the future, not what he did in the past. I certainly don't disagree to resigning Nylander, just saying there are other options, and I imagine it is a weekly talk that Shanahan and Trevling have.
cnick19 liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:55 a.m.
Quoting: cnick19
This would be a fair point if I didn't construct the team already with mostly returning guys and RFAs. There is no need to bargain hunt, and the placeholder guys are 6 mill and 3.5, hardly bottom of the barrel pay cheques.

Also, I don't really like Tre as a GM at all, but in his defense, Lagesson, Gregor and Benoit look like excellent signings. Not to mention his only abject failures so far IMO are Reaves and Klingberg.

6m for a top RD is tight. 5.5m for a 2nd pair is tight. 3.5m for a 3C is tight. 1.5m for a 2LW is real tight. Are you planning on Robertson to stop producing this season?

It's not impossible but it'll be tight.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 1:26 a.m.
That was kinda my point, he goes big, he really didn't do too bad, he really missed on Klingberg. Domi and Bertuzzi are hard to argue against. None of those were tough adds though. I would have made those adds.

Bunting out of nowhere is pure magic. And other stuff he did I can’t remember off the top of my head. Reclamation projects, trading up for more picks. He was sneaky. Isn't Timmins one of his sneaky moves?

Yeah, there's no denying Dubas' ability to find those guys, but I'm just saying it's too early to judge Treliving on the same thing when he hasn't really had to do the same yet due to Dubas' work and also what the team was missing were those bigger pieces (a top-6 winger, top 4 D, and a 3C). Probably his most Dubasesque move was signing Holmberg to that 2-year deal, but he was already on the team.

It's nice to see that he's trying to build off of what Dubas built by adding the elements that he thinks are missing while addressing the teams' needs rather than rushing in and making sweeping changes just to put his stamp on the team. So, far he's really only been able to re-add "the snot" elements that Dubas and Co brought in at the deadline that was lost to FA. Filling the top 4 D role with a guy who could produce offense has been something Dubas has looked at but was never able to really do because of cap, Treliving's first attempt was a miss, but I think Dubas' addition of Timmins might solve that one. He'll probably add size with a Zadorov trade at some point, so far he's only done so with depth (Laegesson and Benoit). The addition of Zadorov does worry me to some extent though because I think he'll get an extension like 4.5Mx4 or 5 which is probably a lot to spend during their cap crunch if he's just the 4/5.
oilfire liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 1:36 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Yeah, there's no denying Dubas' ability to find those guys, but I'm just saying it's too early to judge Treliving on the same thing when he hasn't really had to do the same yet due to Dubas' work and also what the team was missing were those bigger pieces (a top-6 winger, top 4 D, and a 3C). Probably his most Dubasesque move was signing Holmberg to that 2-year deal, but he was already on the team.

It's nice to see that he's trying to build off of what Dubas built by adding the elements that he thinks are missing while addressing the teams' needs rather than rushing in and making sweeping changes just to put his stamp on the team. So, far he's really only been able to re-add "the snot" elements that Dubas and Co brought in at the deadline that was lost to FA. Filling the top 4 D role with a guy who could produce offense has been something Dubas has looked at but was never able to really do because of cap, Treliving's first attempt was a miss, but I think Dubas' addition of Timmins might solve that one. He'll probably add size with a Zadorov trade at some point, so far he's only done so with depth (Laegesson and Benoit). The addition of Zadorov does worry me to some extent though because I think he'll get an extension like 4.5Mx4 or 5 which is probably a lot to spend during their cap crunch if he's just the 4/5.

Might be a good rental but I agree not a desireable next contract. I'm big on Toronto passing on Zadorov he's not going to be worth the assets. If he keeps building a highlight reel of fights and hits, someone will overpay.

Tanev will be more expensive but worth it. Fuhta was on Kyp and Bourne today and he agrees with me that Tanev should be the real and only target from Calgary.

I'll admit I'm biased on Brad. Calgary's an absolute dumpster fire, ownership definitely wears some of the blame but so does he.
GMBL liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 2:44 a.m.
Might be a good rental but I agree not a desireable next contract. I'm big on Toronto passing on Zadorov he's not going to be worth the assets. If he keeps building a highlight reel of fights and hits, someone will overpay.

Tanev will be more expensive but worth it. Fuhta was on Kyp and Bourne today and he agrees with me that Tanev should be the real and only target from Calgary.

I'll admit I'm biased on Brad. Calgary's an absolute dumpster fire, ownership definitely wears some of the blame but so does he.

Tanev should be the main target for sure even only as a rental. I think they should also have some interest in Hanifin depending on what Timmins does and the cost to acquire Hanifin (if it's a rental return). I suspect though that he will be dealt in a sign and trade for a Lindholm-like return.

If Treliving could somehow acquire Hanifin and get him to sign for 6.75M would be great, but I think Bertuzzi and Domi will both be brought back, and I just tried to see what kind of discounts everyone would need to take and even then the fit is way too tight lol. It required dumping Jarnkrok and Reaves (his minor cap hit is the only cap available with a 20-man roster). Had Nylander at 11Mx8, Hanifin 6.75Mx8, Bertuzzi 5Mx6 (probably the new Coleman), Domi 3.225Mx8 (Nick Paul style), Liljegren 3Mx1, Brodie 2.5Mx6 (20M contract that puts him at a similar career earning as Giordano), Wedgewood (basically any goalie) 2Mx2, Robertson 1.25Mx2, McMann 950Kx2, Benoit 800Kx1 (he gets waived). Holmberg and Minten take the remaining spots. Basically, a pipedream where everyone takes a 500K discounts, I don't see that happening unless the Leafs lost in the Finals (if they won everyone would want to get paid more or less). There are also too many contracts that are way too long for mediocre/aging players, but can't say no GM would do that when there's Lou around. Tried to incorporate a 3.75M-4M Zadorov but was tough. The scary part is that if we replace 6.75M Hanifin with 4.5M Zadorov there would be more money to go around and actually make it work potentially. Tanev at 4M could work as well.
oilfire liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 3:00 a.m.
Marner rocks
Quoting: palhal

He has only once had more than a ppg season. Let's see how his season goes before giving him a crazy contract because of 17 games. He is a .849ppg player with issues in the d-zone which have improved but are still way below the play of Marner and Matthews.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll