Forums/Armchair-GM

Jets get better and get pick

Created by: Howie
Team: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 27, 2023
Published: Nov. 27, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Both are cap dumps but Anderson is definitely lower value. Maybe the jets add a 3rd to make it even. Allows mtl to use the cap they save in years 3 and 4 on major FA and extensions and jets get a pick and a playoff type player. Lmk what you guys think
Trades
WPG
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. 2025 1st round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Jets get Anderson who is a cap dump but worse than schmidt with 4 years left
MTL
  1. Schmidt, Nate
Additional Details:
Mtl dumps Anderson as he is making 8m in salary and help make a path for younger talent in the nhl assumes both waive for better opportunities
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$83,500,000$82,146,191$0$1,275,000$1,353,809
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 3
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,437,500$3,437,500
RW, C
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:10 p.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: F50marco
I think you have a hard time judging a bad trade from bad value which do not have to be the same thing.

This would be a bad trade for the Habs to do. I agree. Is the value off though? I'm not so sure it is. I think not a single team would take Anderson for free on waivers right now. Schmidt isn't good either but 1 more year after this one and its done. So you are paying a 1st that probably will be a playoff team 1st to get rid of Anderson for years 3 and 4. In a vacuum, this would probably be the cost right now. The key being "right now". Good GM's don't trade players at their worst.

Would I do it? No
Would you do it? No
Would KH do it? No

So there is nothing to worry about if you are opposed to it but if the Habs had to move him right now, they would be paying for it. Good thing they don't have to move now, right? wink

it's not about value here Marco but the use of the terminology «cap dump» which is too much use and many times in a pure attack upon an actual nhler ... if you want to moderate people those kinds of words should be banned so we can talk about value. Mine was worst, but I wasn't giving much space and time to talk about why or show the whereabouts....
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:10 p.m.
Quoting: VladislavTretiak
When we'll be ready to dump him, we'll call you.

For now you're the one calling us.

Mtl should at least call around teams at the cost to dump as letting it go to far can really set a team back. No disrespect to Anderson but trading him away to whatever team for what it costs would be good for mtl and for Anderson to regain himself on a new team
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
Quoting: Howie
Winnipeg needs another forward come playoffs as having kupari on the team is a little sketchy. Jets are also one of the only teams that can afford Anderson for the contract that is a contender. So the jets make an upgrade of player but is on a terrible contract and get a pick that can be used to trade for a legit top 4 dman.

Mtl getting cap space for better players via FA and allowing for players like Ylonen and Roy to have ice time will be ideal. Ylonen could boom with the opportunity but with Anderson there the potential is being wasted while Anderson makes 8m this year for 2 assists and actively making his line mates worse

The reasoning for why MTL should do this, is the exact reason why WPG shouldn't. Again, you can't make that argument for it and then flip it once he's on your side. Its a bad trade any way you look at it and you can try to make any strongman argument you want, no GM would do this in MTL's situation.
habitantlecolon liked this.
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:12 p.m.
Quoting: BatVader
This is really bad for WPG

The Calgary pick could be a high pick if the conditions happen and adding 2 years beyond schmidt when the cap is higher is manageable but again I understand with his performance and risk
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:14 p.m.
The reasoning for why MTL should do this, is the exact reason why WPG shouldn't. Again, you can't make that argument for it and then flip it once he's on your side. Its a bad trade any way you look at it and you can try to make any strongman argument you want, no GM would do this in MTL's situation.

Mtl gains cap space the jets need another nhl forward for the playoffs and a pick to trade for a legit player and mtl gets younger in the forwards while allowing for more flexibility for major free agents. Those are opposite reasons as wpg is not attracting a major FA, jets don't need the cap space super long term as we could lose nino and when appleton expires pay connor. So it actually works for both
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
Mtl gains cap space the jets need another nhl forward for the playoffs and a pick to trade for a legit player and mtl gets younger in the forwards while allowing for more flexibility for major free agents. Those are opposite reasons as wpg is not attracting a major FA, jets don't need the cap space super long term as we could lose nino and when appleton expires pay connor. So it actually works for both

Montreal doesn't need cap space.

Montreal could actually just use that pick themselves to get a legit player.

Montreal can bury that contract with ease or retain in the last year or two and not have to give a 1st.

There just isn't a good reason for MTL to give away a first.

I get that you're holding a hard line on your opinion but after 80+ comments, you've gotta see how this is one-sided.
Habs 7th round 1983
Mtl should at least call around teams at the cost to dump as letting it go to far can really set a team back. No disrespect to Anderson but trading him away to whatever team for what it costs would be good for mtl and for Anderson to regain himself on a new team

Montreal has a more urgent problem to solve, like finding a new home for Jake Allen

Anderson is not an issue at all. He's been unlucky, he's been scoreless for 20 games, and because of that he holds his stick a bit to tight in his hands -- a typical slump -- but other than that he didn't play badly at all. Anderson is clearly not a problem for Montreal, even though we would prefer to see him thrive and being rewarded for his effort and intensity.

MTL has just as hard time attracting UFA's as WPG does. Also MTL already has literally OODLES of cap space so sign players if they wanted to. Honestly I feel like you're just doubling down here for now reason. You can make the argument the value isn't far off, maybe habs get a pick back, etc whatever. But trying to justify this as making sense when LITERALLY everyone in the post, including non Habs fans disagrees with doing this, should tell you something about the reasoning for doing it.
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:20 p.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: Just_A_Guess

Montreal can bury that contract with ease or retain in the last year or two and not have to give a 1st.

I get that you're holding a hard line on your opinion but after 80+ comments, you've gotta see how this is one-sided.

this is not only one-sided this bias is an insult to nhl players and shouldn't be accepted!
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:20 p.m.
Quoting: habitantlecolon
it's not about value here Marco but the use of the terminology «cap dump» which is too much use and many times in a pure attack upon an actual nhler ... if you want to moderate people those kinds of words should be banned so we can talk about value. Mine was worst, but I wasn't giving much space and time to talk about why or show the whereabouts....

You can't seriously be singling me out for the use of a word when it is a word that is used daily by many users across the site as a whole. I think you need to take a break and think about if you don't have something nice to say don't say it. To personally attack me for using cap dump is not in any way attacking the players. It's indicative of how they perform to the contract. There can be players that are 4th liners but are paid 800k so the performance to cap makes sense. Obviously Anderson would want to play at an 82 point pace would wouldn't but when he has 2 points in 21 games making 8m in salary are you not saying you wouldn't want more productivity from him? Would you not think about what he is worth based on his stats contract salary and term?
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Le patriote
MTL has just as hard time attracting UFA's as WPG does. Also MTL already has literally OODLES of cap space so sign players if they wanted to. Honestly I feel like you're just doubling down here for now reason. You can make the argument the value isn't far off, maybe habs get a pick back, etc whatever. But trying to justify this as making sense when LITERALLY everyone in the post, including non Habs fans disagrees with doing this, should tell you something about the reasoning for doing it.

/thread plz this is just the usual westerner attacking habs players for the hundred time ... do some modo plz
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Prime Primeau
Winnipeg needs another forward come playoffs as having kupari on the team is a little sketchy. Jets are also one of the only teams that can afford Anderson for the contract that is a contender. So the jets make an upgrade of player but is on a terrible contract and get a pick that can be used to trade for a legit top 4 dman.

Mtl getting cap space for better players via FA and allowing for players like Ylonen and Roy to have ice time will be ideal. Ylonen could boom with the opportunity but with Anderson there the potential is being wasted while Anderson makes 8m this year for 2 assists and actively making his line mates worse

If you need a forward, pay for him! And your argument is that Anderson only have 2 pts, so he is a bad player. Yet, you say that you need another forward like him. How incoherent…

Montreal doesn’t need any cap space. This offseason, they will have around 14m after the basic signings. Next offseason, 26m with their only 2 big contract to negotiate in the 4 years left of Anderson (Slaf and Guhle). After that, even more!

If they wanted to play Ylonen more, they could just play him more. It’s so dumb to think that Anderson eat minutes from him. And you traded us Schmidt, who would play instead of Xhekaj, Harris, Struble and eventually Hutson.

This trade seems only to benefit Winnipeg
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:22 p.m.
Habs 7th round 1983

Btw this is a good banter. I see that you're alone facing 4-5 Habs fans by yourself and kudos for that. If we're sometimes rough on the edges please understand that it's nothing personal at all. It's pure passion, nothing more.
Le patriote
You can't seriously be singling me out for the use of a word when it is a word that is used daily by many users across the site as a whole. I think you need to take a break and think about if you don't have something nice to say don't say it. To personally attack me for using cap dump is not in any way attacking the players. It's indicative of how they perform to the contract. There can be players that are 4th liners but are paid 800k so the performance to cap makes sense. Obviously Anderson would want to play at an 82 point pace would wouldn't but when he has 2 points in 21 games making 8m in salary are you not saying you wouldn't want more productivity from him? Would you not think about what he is worth based on his stats contract salary and term?

would be fun to ban this term and the famous : my team won't do that syndrome ...

Cap dump isn't a slur and your posts were obviously trolling. You can yell to the cows come home, it won't change a thing. Take a deep breath. Don't worry. Everything is going to be fine. Anderson isn't going anywhere.
Le patriote
Btw this is a good banter. I see that you're alone facing 4-5 Habs fan by yourself and kudos for that. If we're sometimes rough on the edges please understand that it's nothing personal at all. It's pure passion, nothing more.

this
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:23 p.m.
Quoting: Just_A_Guess

It makes sense and I have my mtl buddy supporting me too. Mtl is not a contender but again this pick is likely 24th in 2025 who would make an impact in 2029 hopefully. There's no guarantee the pick plays game so to get rid of Anderson completely for a vesalainen is masterclass.
Le patriote
Cap dump isn't a slur and your posts were obviously trolling. You can yell to the cows come home, it won't change a thing. Take a deep breath. Don't worry. Everything is going to be fine. Anderson isn't going anywhere.

should be counted as one cuz this is thrown to many time for no reason
/thread plz this is just the usual westerner attacking habs players for the hundred time ... do some modo plz

I'm not attacking anyone I'm respectfully voicing my opinion. You know you don't have to respond right
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:25 p.m.
Le patriote

I also should be able to do a Ehlers Anderson swap if I wish so ... you guys use the ruling of trolling like a baseball bat instead of letting people defend themselves against the roaster !!
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:26 p.m.
should be counted as one cuz this is thrown to many time for no reason

I mean its not a personal attack. Its a contractual term. All it means is a contract that can't be traded without a sweetener.
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:27 p.m.
Btw this is a good banter. I see that you're alone facing 4-5 Habs fans by yourself and kudos for that. If we're sometimes rough on the edges please understand that it's nothing personal at all. It's pure passion, nothing more.

I truly believe that Anderson needs to be traded man. He isn't helping the team. Ylonen could be such a good player too and no one would know if he doesn't get the shot. With a rebuild I understand keeping young assets and 1sts but again it's likely a late 1st in 2025 to get 5.5m cap and it's no guarantee the pick is anything. The part most mtl fans forget is looking at the draft history of their picks later isn't exactly the best they can do. So trading a pick that they can use the cap to sign someone that helps right away should be explored
Nov. 27, 2023 at 10:28 p.m.
Le patriote
I mean its not a personal attack. Its a contractual term. All it means is a contract that can't be traded without a sweetener.

I know but this is overused and misused. we should limit this kind of wording. Anderson is at a low value, good I agree, a cap dump no. Gallagher on the other hand per contract explanation only maybe ...
It makes sense and I have my mtl buddy supporting me too. Mtl is not a contender but again this pick is likely 24th in 2025 who would make an impact in 2029 hopefully. There's no guarantee the pick plays game so to get rid of Anderson completely for a vesalainen is masterclass.

Your buddy needs some patience. Montreal is in one of the toughest parts of a rebuild and it's going to hurt for another couple years at least. No need to rush away good assets or potentially good assets.

If we absolutely needed to move that contract, as in we were in a situation such as EDM, then sure. A singular 1st to move on from an unwanted contract of such magnitude would make tons of sense.

Montreal can afford to be patient in the hope Anderson starts to do something before dumping a 1st.
Le patriote
I truly believe that Anderson needs to be traded man. He isn't helping the team. Ylonen could be such a good player too and no one would know if he doesn't get the shot. With a rebuild I understand keeping young assets and 1sts but again it's likely a late 1st in 2025 to get 5.5m cap and it's no guarantee the pick is anything. The part most mtl fans forget is looking at the draft history of their picks later isn't exactly the best they can do. So trading a pick that they can use the cap to sign someone that helps right away should be explored

he's helping much more that you want to see.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll