Forums/Armchair-GM

Sabres upgrade the roster

Created by: BigDog91
Team: 2024-25 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 8, 2023
Published: Dec. 8, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think Sabres biggest mistake was not upgrading goaltending this year. We put to much pressure on unproven goalies. With this team we will be expecting our defense to lead our team. This would be one of if not the best top 6 in the league.
I will be little worried about the offensive with three rookies in the starting lineup. Hopefully they get some experience this year. I believe it is easier to protect forwards in the lineup. If the key forwards can stay healthy we should have no problem scoring goals.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,500,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Andersson, Rasmus
  2. Markström, Jacob
Additional Details:
I don’t believe Markstrom has any value with his current salary. They already have a replacement goalie. I think mittelstadt has proved he can be number one center in this league. He has improved defensively and offensively. Joker can replace Anderson while they rebuild.
CGY
  1. Jokiharju, Henri [RFA Rights]
  2. Mittelstadt, Casey [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Markstrom can help take the pressure off Levi. Anderson can give the Sabres a top 4 that will compete with anyone in the league.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$87,700,000$78,261,903$0$4,025,000$9,438,097
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$650,000$650K)
LW
RFA - 2
$7,142,857$7,142,857
C
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$7,100,000$7,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$855,833$855,833
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$918,333$918,333
C, LW
RFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
C
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
RFA
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$525,000$525K)
RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,285,714$4,285,714
LD
UFA - 6
$11,000,000$11,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 8
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
G
RFA - 1
$8,350,000$8,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 7
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 8, 2023 at 3:40 p.m.
Markstrom probably doesnt waive and highly doubt they get approval from ownership to add this much salary
Dec. 8, 2023 at 3:40 p.m.
This is so bad for Calgary. Mittelstadt is a solid player but definitely not a 1C. Rasmus Andersson has way more value than this.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
Quoting: Mediumyeet
This is so bad for Calgary. Mittelstadt is a solid player but definitely not a 1C. Rasmus Andersson has way more value than this.

lol is there a more overrated player on this site than andersson? Seriously the guy is good and obviously his contract is nice, but he's also put up 1 goal above replacement so far this year. That's the same amount as mattias samulesson, a player every sabres fan wanted to shoot to the moon a week ago.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 3:50 p.m.
Quoting: Stadel
lol is there a more overrated player on this site than andersson? Seriously the guy is good and obviously his contract is nice, but he's also put up 1 goal above replacement so far this year. That's the same amount as mattias samulesson, a player every sabres fan wanted to shoot to the moon a week ago.

He's a consistent 24minute a night, all situations, 50pts a season, RHD with two years remaining after this season at 4.5mil AAV. Ya that is a high value asset.

Closest recent comparable trade is Chychrun which was a high 1st + 2 2nds with condition that one of those seconds could become a 1st.

Mittelstadt and Jokiharju aren't worth that and that is without even factoring in Markstrom who would 100 percent have value given the scarcity some contenders have in net.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
He's a consistent 24minute a night, all situations, 50pts a season, RHD with two years remaining after this season at 4.5mil AAV. Ya that is a high value asset.

Closest recent comparable trade is Chychrun which was a high 1st + 2 2nds with condition that one of those seconds could become a 1st.

Mittelstadt and Jokiharju aren't worth that and that is without even factoring in Markstrom who would 100 percent have value given the scarcity some contenders have in net.

I mean bolded was true of Ristolainen with the sabres as well. Pts are a terrible way to evaluate d-men. Dahlin at his absolute worst still had 50 pts and he was legitimately bad those years.

Even if i accept the comparison to chychrun, You are definitely short selling mittelstadt here.

Dating back to last season, Mittelstadt is among top 50 fwds in goals above replacement, just 0.3 shy of william nylander and slightly ahead of kaprizov and marchand. I get Andersson is good and his contract is good, but pretending mittelstadt isnt in the same stratosphere implies either thinking andersson is a norris contender, or mittelstadt is a bottom six-er. Both are totally unfair.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
Calgary laughs and blocks your number
Dec. 8, 2023 at 5:16 p.m.
BigDog91
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Calgary laughs and blocks your number

I mean bolded was true of Ristolainen with the sabres as well. Pts are a terrible way to evaluate d-men. Dahlin at his absolute worst still had 50 pts and he was legitimately bad those years.

Even if i accept the comparison to chychrun, You are definitely short selling mittelstadt here.

Dating back to last season, Mittelstadt is among top 50 fwds in goals above replacement, just 0.3 shy of william nylander and slightly ahead of kaprizov and marchand. I get Andersson is good and his contract is good, but pretending mittelstadt isnt in the same stratosphere implies either thinking andersson is a norris contender, or mittelstadt is a bottom six-er. Both are totally unfair.

This happens every time. People vastly over value their own players. But he isn’t a number one barely a number 2. Markstrom has no value. His salary is way too high and hasn’t had average season in over two years. No team besides the Sabres would take him without salary retention. Mittelstadt has proved he is a legit top 6 center and could be serviceable number one center. And joker is young RHD. I believe Sabres are overpaying here.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 5:34 p.m.
Quoting: BigDog91
This happens every time. People vastly over value their own players. But he isn’t a number one barely a number 2. Markstrom has no value. His salary is way too high and hasn’t had average season in over two years. No team besides the Sabres would take him without salary retention. Mittelstadt has proved he is a legit top 6 center and could be serviceable number one center. And joker is young RHD. I believe Sabres are overpaying here.

Troll post. Just because Ras isn't Dahlin doesn't make him not a #1.

Saying Markstrom hasn't had an average season in over 2 years is completely asinine. He's literally playing excellent this current season and was was the Vezina runner-up under 2 years ago. Markstrom has the 7th best GSAx in the league and has the 10th best HDSV%
JtM3uWE.png

Mittelstadt is vastly overperforming right now. Do you know where he ranks among forwards for iCF? Tied for 233rd. And 243rd in ixGF
Like look at this, his GF/60 and xGF/60 aren't even in the same stratosphere
O43THDX.png

Mitts will probably come back to earth some time soon and end up with about 30 points in the remaining 55 games
Mediumyeet liked this.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
BigDog91
Troll post. Just because Ras isn't Dahlin doesn't make him not a #1.

Saying Markstrom hasn't had an average season in over 2 years is completely asinine. He's literally playing excellent this current season and was was the Vezina runner-up under 2 years ago. Markstrom has the 7th best GSAx in the league and has the 10th best HDSV%
JtM3uWE.png

Mittelstadt is vastly overperforming right now. Do you know where he ranks among forwards for iCF? Tied for 233rd. And 243rd in ixGF
Like look at this, his GF/60 and xGF/60 aren't even in the same stratosphere
O43THDX.png

Mitts will probably come back to earth some time soon and end up with about 30 points in the remaining 55 games

First Markstrom
Like I said it has been terrible the past two years. This year and last year. Three years ago he have descent season. Does anyone expect a 33 year old goalie to improve after two bad seasons? No he is what he is. I just believe Sabres could use a goalie with his leadership. But he has no value at 6 million.

2 mitts

In the last 42 games he has averaged a point per game. That is large sample size. If you have watched the Sabres you can see he has been the best and most consistent forward on the team during that span. They team trust him in any situation and was even out there to close out the bruins in closing minutes in last game. He also played the most minutes of all forwards in that game. His value has never been higher and he will only be getting better. Sabres just have so many forwards on roster and in pipeline someone has to go. Unfortunately I think he has highest value right now that could get Sabres a top 4 RHD.

Finally Ras

He is very good dman but in my opinion there are maybe 20 legit number one dman in this league and he isn’t even close. He is average number 2. On Sabres he was be the third best dman and Samuelson is close to making him 4. He has good value but it isn’t more then mittelstadt.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 6:58 p.m.
First Markstrom
Like I said it has been terrible the past two years. This year and last year. Three years ago he have descent season. Does anyone expect a 33 year old goalie to improve after two bad seasons? No he is what he is. I just believe Sabres could use a goalie with his leadership. But he has no value at 6 million.

2 mitts

In the last 42 games he has averaged a point per game. That is large sample size. If you have watched the Sabres you can see he has been the best and most consistent forward on the team during that span. They team trust him in any situation and was even out there to close out the bruins in closing minutes in last game. He also played the most minutes of all forwards in that game. His value has never been higher and he will only be getting better. Sabres just have so many forwards on roster and in pipeline someone has to go. Unfortunately I think he has highest value right now that could get Sabres a top 4 RHD.

Finally Ras

He is very good dman but in my opinion there are maybe 20 legit number one dman in this league and he isn’t even close. He is average number 2. On Sabres he was be the third best dman and Samuelson is close to making him 4. He has good value but it isn’t more then mittelstadt.

1. You are clueless if you think Markstrom has been terrible this year. He's been a top 10 goalie in the league this season. Refer to my above post. End of that conversation

2. Mittelstadt is better than he used to be but you he is not remotely as good as you are making him out to be. He's a middle 6 player that is producing way above expectation and will almost certainly fall off before the end of the season. I doubt he hits 60 points despite this hot start.

I wouldn't trade Andersson for Mittelstadt + your 1st this year. That's how completely off base you are with this post. No interest in a Morgan Frost caliber player
Dec. 8, 2023 at 7:07 p.m.
So if markstrom is whats holding this up, take him out. What's the cost for andersson on his own? We can find a vet goalie elsewhere.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 8:29 p.m.

I'm not a Calgary fan in actually a Canucks fan so I don't like the flames. Andersson is objectively a very high value asset. Mittelstadt is solid yes he's developed into a 2nd liner which is great but calling him a 1C is the definition of over valuing your own players.
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 9:10 p.m.
Quoting: sabres89
So if markstrom is whats holding this up, take him out. What's the cost for andersson on his own? We can find a vet goalie elsewhere.

He's not available so it would take quite a large payment to make Flames bite. Unlike Chychrun, Andersson hasn't requested a trade so it will cost more. 2024 1st (top 5 protected), Savoie, 2025 2nd (becomes a 1st if Buffalo makes the ECF). No less than that
sabres89 and Mediumyeet liked this.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 9:33 p.m.
He's not available so it would take quite a large payment to make Flames bite. Unlike Chychrun, Andersson hasn't requested a trade so it will cost more. 2024 1st (top 5 protected), Savoie, 2025 2nd (becomes a 1st if Buffalo makes the ECF). No less than that

That's not awful. Trying to find a good right shot d that isn't 5'9" or a "power play qb", it's not exactly a buyers market.
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 10:44 p.m.
That's not awful. Trying to find a good right shot d that isn't 5'9" or a "power play qb", it's not exactly a buyers market.

Again though he's completely unavailable. Odds are he is the next captain after Backlund
sabres89 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 11:44 p.m.
….That's the same amount as mattias samulesson, a player every sabres fan wanted to shoot to the moon a week ago.

Not me
Ppl on here overreact WAY TOO MUCH
It’s really quite absurd
sabres89 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 11:52 p.m.

That is “A LOT” though
And frankly, we should be setting our sights lower
We don’t need an “all-star” partner for Power,
just like we didn’t need one for Dahlin

I’d love to get Carlo from Boston, but what are the chances they’d do that?
But that’s the kind of guy we need
Was hoping that could be Clifton, but Jokiharju has been pretty decent this season

Sabres fans don’t seem to realize that with youth comes inconsistency
And we have A TON of youth
So as talented as we are….
We’re gonna have to accept that theees gonna be nights when we can beat up on Boston (without Tuch & Dahlin),
And there’s gonna be other nights where we wanna rip our hair out bc of the youthful inconsistencies

That’s just how it’s gonna be
And that’ll be true even if we brought in a goalie like Saros & a RD like Andersson

When 90% of our team is under the age of 25,
we just need to accept that
Adding a couple star Vets would of course help,
but it doesn’t suddenly develop/mature the kids either
sabres89 and Mediumyeet liked this.
Dec. 8, 2023 at 11:56 p.m.
@BigDog91

Markstrom is ABSOLUTELY NOT the goalie Buffalo should target- it’s a terrible idea

Had a few good games to start the season, but he’s 0-4-1 in his last 5games, with an .844 save%
He’s gone right back to playing like crap, just like he did all last season when he had a save% under .900

Especially with the contract he has left,
it’s just way too risky for a guy who has been playing crappy for too long
sabres89 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2023 at 6:49 a.m.
Quoting: AntiAnalytics
That is “A LOT” though
And frankly, we should be setting our sights lower
We don’t need an “all-star” partner for Power,
just like we didn’t need one for Dahlin

I’d love to get Carlo from Boston, but what are the chances they’d do that?
But that’s the kind of guy we need
Was hoping that could be Clifton, but Jokiharju has been pretty decent this season

Sabres fans don’t seem to realize that with youth comes inconsistency
And we have A TON of youth
So as talented as we are….
We’re gonna have to accept that theees gonna be nights when we can beat up on Boston (without Tuch & Dahlin),
And there’s gonna be other nights where we wanna rip our hair out bc of the youthful inconsistencies

That’s just how it’s gonna be
And that’ll be true even if we brought in a goalie like Saros & a RD like Andersson

When 90% of our team is under the age of 25,
we just need to accept that
Adding a couple star Vets would of course help,
but it doesn’t suddenly develop/mature the kids either

I don't disagree with this. I don't think an offensive defenseman like Andersson is what Buffalo needs. Andersson would cost a lot but he's not the style of player they want. I think Buffalo should go hard after Roy if he hits free agency this summer. But I also think a lot of teams will be looking to add a player like Roy

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll