Forums/Armchair-GM

EDM-DET The HollandYzerman Masterpiece Deal

Created by: SwarmChair
Team: 2023-24 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 13, 2023
Published: Dec. 13, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Deal done at TDL only if Red Wings fall out of the Wild Card race.
Trades
EDM
  1. Berggren, Jonatan
  2. Gostisbehere, Shayne ($2,062,500 retained)
  3. Reimer, James
  4. 2025 2nd round pick (DET)
DET
  1. Broberg, Philip
  2. Ceci, Cody
  3. 2024 6th round pick (EDM)
  4. 2025 3rd round pick (EDM)
  5. 2025 4th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$84,536,667$850,000$3,225,000-$1,036,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$3,225,000$3M)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
C
RFA - 2
$807,500$807,500
RW, C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RD
RFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
G
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 1
$2,062,500$2,062,500
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$650,000$650K)
LW, C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 13, 2023 at 11:18 p.m.
That’s a horrible trade for Edmonton
Dec. 13, 2023 at 11:21 p.m.
Save Mcdavid
Quoting: Oilers_29
That’s a horrible trade for Edmonton laying to downgrade

Not at all? Ceci and Ghost are two entirely different players and we definitely need Ceci's play style more than Ghost but Ghost is just much better at what he does. Like it's not even close.

Broberg for Berggren is a 1 for 1 swap and Reimer is worth around a 4th and a 6th so essentially they're giving us a 2nd for a 6th?

Edmonton comes out on top here pretty easily the only valuable asset we're losing is Broberg who is essentially worth a 3rd
SwarmChair liked this.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 11:24 p.m.
Quoting: Oilers_29
That’s a horrible trade for Edmonton

What don’t you like?

Reimer comes in and can be Skinners 1B
Ghost adds Puck Moving ability and more skill to our back end which works with what Coffey is trying to do
Berggren helps our RW depth and is RFA so he’ll stick around for awhile
Dec. 13, 2023 at 11:30 p.m.
Quoting: NucksnOilers
Not at all? Ceci and Ghost are two entirely different players and we definitely need Ceci's play style more than Ghost but Ghost is just much better at what he does. Like it's not even close.

Broberg for Berggren is a 1 for 1 swap and Reimer is worth around a 4th and a 6th so essentially they're giving us a 2nd for a 6th?

Edmonton comes out on top here pretty easily the only valuable asset we're losing is Broberg who is essentially worth a 3rd

Quoting: NucksnOilers

I actually tried structuring it so
Detroit is slightly favoured. But maybe I missed the mark.

Ghost went for a 3rd last year so goes for a 3rd this year. Fair value.
Blackwood went for a 6th last year and is younger/better than Reimer. So the 6th is for Reimer. Detroit wins on value here.
Berggren and Broberg is close to a 1for1 swap but Broberg is higher draft pedigree and younger in a more important position, so the difference between the prospects is where the 2nd for 4th swap comes in. Maybe slightly favoring Detroit?

I like this deal for the Oilers cause it allows us to fill two needs on the line up and we don’t have to make a stupid move moving Campbell out. Plus Ghost under Coffey could see another level. And our RW sucks with Brown.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 11:33 p.m.
I feel like I have this confused. So by your logic, if the Wings fall out of the playoff race, they should trade:

- Burgers, which is a young NHL player that rebuilding teams need, and is currently doing well (after doing well last season).
- Ghost as the hired gun for a playoff team (makes sense) + retention (makes sense)
- Backup goaltender (makes sense)
- 2nd rounder (doesn't make sense, but maybe the return will call for adding a second)

In exchange for...

- Broberg is a LHD that would slot in somewhere between or slightly behind Wallinder and Johansson for prospects, as well as Walman, Maata (unless moved), and Edvinsson.
- Ceci as another RHD that would slot in behind Seider and Ghost (matchups permitting), but above Holl and Petry for next season? Very expensive press box.
- 3 less than spectacular picks that hold value at the tail-end of their respective rounds.

EDIT: Excuse my error, putting Ghost (matchups permitting) as he would be gone in this scenario. Next season, it would be Seider, Ceci, Holl, Petry, Tuomisto so not ultimately as expensive.
GMBL, aedoran and mikearky liked this.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 11:41 p.m.
Quoting: CoachCoach
I feel like I have this confused. So by your logic, if the Wings fall out of the playoff race, they should trade:

- Burgers, which is a young NHL player that rebuilding teams need, and is currently doing well (after doing well last season).
- Ghost as the hired gun for a playoff team (makes sense) + retention (makes sense)
- 2nd rounder (doesn't make sense, but maybe the return will call for adding a second)

In exchange for...

- Broberg is a LHD that would slot in somewhere between or slightly behind Wallinder and Johansson for prospects, as well as Walman, Maata (unless moved), and Edvinsson.
- Ceci as another RHD that would slot in behind Seider and Ghost (matchups permitting), but above Holl and Petry for next season? Very expensive press box.
- 3 less than spectacular picks that hold value at the tail-end of their respective rounds.

EDIT: Excuse my error, putting Ghost (matchups permitting) as he would be gone in this scenario.

Well based on last years deadline:
Ghost = 3rd
Blackwood=Reimer=6

So the value should be right there. That’s why those picks are there.

Broberg=Berggren theoretically as both are former 1sts. Broberg being the higher potential, younger, and higherdraft pedigree. So a 2nd and 4th is swapped to make up the difference. But that pick swap is debatable, depends how you view the prospects.

Then on TOP of the mostly fair value represented above, Detroit gets Ceci who can play Top 4 minutes at only 3.25M that Detroit can either keep or flip for more futures at the next deadline.

Value should favor Detroit in this trade in a vacuum. If the trade makes sense for their line up/prospects pipeline is different matter that Red Wings fans can chime in on if they want. But the value should be more than fair for Detroit.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 11:42 p.m.
Quoting: SwarmChair
I actually tried structuring it so
Detroit is slightly favoured. But maybe I missed the mark.

Ghost went for a 3rd last year so goes for a 3rd this year. Fair value.
Blackwood went for a 6th last year and is younger/better than Reimer. So the 6th is for Reimer. Detroit wins on value here.
Berggren and Broberg is close to a 1for1 swap but Broberg is higher draft pedigree and younger in a more important position, so the difference between the prospects is where the 2nd for 4th swap comes in. Maybe slightly favoring Detroit?

I like this deal for the Oilers cause it allows us to fill two needs on the line up and we don’t have to make a stupid move moving Campbell out. Plus Ghost under Coffey could see another level. And our RW sucks with Brown.

Blackwood just had his rfa rights moved in the summer, not a comparable deal even if you ignore that his time was done. TDL deals are going to be a lot different than trades in June because teams can just pick up those guys in FA on July 1st.

Reimer would be more of a 4th since he's doing well, but possibly a 5th at TDL. Age isn't a factor on rental goalies who are being brought in to patch a hole and not be a difference maker.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 11:54 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Blackwood just had his rfa rights moved in the summer, not a comparable deal even if you ignore that his time was done. TDL deals are going to be a lot different than trades in June because teams can just pick up those guys in FA on July 1st.

Reimer would be more of a 4th since he's doing well, but possibly a 5th at TDL. Age isn't a factor on rental goalies who are being brought in to patch a hole and not be a difference maker.

Blackwood is younger and is an RFA and should have more value than a 35 year old Reimer rental though. But let’s ignore that deal if it doesn’t match.

Then let’s use Jonathan Quick to Knights deal as the template. Quick was traded for a 7th + AHL goalie Hutchinson. And I think Quick should have more value than Reimer. But let’s say their the same value so then 7th+Pickard for Reimer?
Dec. 14, 2023 at 12:13 a.m.
Well based on last years deadline:
Ghost = 3rd
Blackwood=Reimer=6

So the value should be right there. That’s why those picks are there.

Broberg=Berggren theoretically as both are former 1sts. Broberg being the higher potential, younger, and higherdraft pedigree. So a 2nd and 4th is swapped to make up the difference. But that pick swap is debatable, depends how you view the prospects.

Then on TOP of the mostly fair value represented above, Detroit gets Ceci who can play Top 4 minutes at only 3.25M that Detroit can either keep or flip for more futures at the next deadline.

Value should favor Detroit in this trade in a vacuum. If the trade makes sense for their line up/prospects pipeline is different matter that Red Wings fans can chime in on if they want. But the value should be more than fair for Detroit.

I saw your post after mine was completed, so I didn't see your justification process. Would have altered my comment.

I don't put a lot of stock into TDL deals comparatively to the player being moved. Ghost being moved last year was a different set of circumstances. He was on the last year or lengthy contract at 4.5M. This season he took less for a 1-year run it back campaign. He doesn't necessarily constitute a guaranteed rental, as he could re-up with which ever team acquires him. He is only 30. Not to mention he is getting a lot of room to showcase what he adds to a contender (as well as deficits). A third could be very realistic, but I could see a late second or even a one off swap.

Reimer, honestly I couldn't tell you. 6th seems just fine. Depends on the market and what happens between now and the TDL.

Berggren > Broberg to Detroit. Both are young NHL players, and Berggren has had the better NHL stint thus far. I don't disagree Broberg's ceiling seems likely be higher, but from a positional need standpoint, Burgers is less of a quantity in Detroit (in terms of prospects).
LD PROSPECTS: Edvinsson-Wallinder-Johansson-Buium
vs
LW PROSPECTS: Burgers, Soderblom, Mazur, Hanas

Ceci is more useful to EDM than he is to Detroit. Yes he would improve the back end, but not to the extent of improving their contending odds.

It isn't horrible, it just doesn't make sense for a team to improve a positional strength (with glaring deficiencies existing) while limiting the return of potential rental assets and losing a weakness in the prospect pool (true goal scoring).
SwarmChair and aedoran liked this.
Dec. 14, 2023 at 12:19 a.m.
Edited Dec. 14, 2023 at 12:33 a.m.
Blackwood is younger and is an RFA and should have more value than a 35 year old Reimer rental though. But let’s ignore that deal if it doesn’t match.

Then let’s use Jonathan Quick to Knights deal as the template. Quick was traded for a 7th + AHL goalie Hutchinson. And I think Quick should have more value than Reimer. But let’s say their the same value so then 7th+Pickard for Reimer?

No, Quick was playing terribly when he was traded.

Blackwood wasn't going to be re-signed by NJ, he was too injury-prone and inconsistent to be relied upon. They only qualified him to get some asset back out of him. Again, it's about the time of the year, you can't just sign a quality backup during the season in FA.

37-yo Fleury got a conditional 2nd (potential 1st), just to show that age isn't a factor for rental goalies at TDL.

A goalie netting a 5th isn't uncommon in the season, I think it's possible that Reimer could get a bit more since he's doing well, some examples:
Dubynk (Oct 2020 & Apr 2021)
Kinkaid (Feb 2019)
Hutchinson (Dec 2018)
Wedgewood (Oct 2017)
SwarmChair liked this.
Dec. 14, 2023 at 1:41 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
No, Quick was playing terribly when he was traded.

Blackwood wasn't going to be re-signed by NJ, he was too injury-prone and inconsistent to be relied upon. They only qualified him to get some asset back out of him. Again, it's about the time of the year, you can't just sign a quality backup during the season in FA.

37-yo Fleury got a conditional 2nd (potential 1st), just to show that age isn't a factor for rental goalies at TDL.

A goalie netting a 5th isn't uncommon in the season, I think it's possible that Reimer could get a bit more since he's doing well, some examples:
Dubynk (Oct 2020 & Apr 2021)
Kinkaid (Feb 2019)
Hutchinson (Dec 2018)
Wedgewood (Oct 2017)

Makes sense. Thanks for the examples. Yes a 5th is entirely reasonable for for Reimer then. Of course every trade deadline is different. But 5th/6th is in the ball park. Reimer not the sexiest name out there but consider those guys you listed, makes sense.
Dec. 14, 2023 at 1:51 a.m.
I saw your post after mine was completed, so I didn't see your justification process. Would have altered my comment.

I don't put a lot of stock into TDL deals comparatively to the player being moved. Ghost being moved last year was a different set of circumstances. He was on the last year or lengthy contract at 4.5M. This season he took less for a 1-year run it back campaign. He doesn't necessarily constitute a guaranteed rental, as he could re-up with which ever team acquires him. He is only 30. Not to mention he is getting a lot of room to showcase what he adds to a contender (as well as deficits). A third could be very realistic, but I could see a late second or even a one off swap.

Reimer, honestly I couldn't tell you. 6th seems just fine. Depends on the market and what happens between now and the TDL.

Berggren > Broberg to Detroit. Both are young NHL players, and Berggren has had the better NHL stint thus far. I don't disagree Broberg's ceiling seems likely be higher, but from a positional need standpoint, Burgers is less of a quantity in Detroit (in terms of prospects).
LD PROSPECTS: Edvinsson-Wallinder-Johansson-Buium
vs
LW PROSPECTS: Burgers, Soderblom, Mazur, Hanas

Ceci is more useful to EDM than he is to Detroit. Yes he would improve the back end, but not to the extent of improving their contending odds.

It isn't horrible, it just doesn't make sense for a team to improve a positional strength (with glaring deficiencies existing) while limiting the return of potential rental assets and losing a weakness in the prospect pool (true goal scoring).

On Ghost, yeh he could be resigned or not. It’s hard for any team to make that call pre-trade though of course, you never know if the fit is right for the player or team until they come in and play games. Point taken that Ghost is slightly cheaper AAV this year. I could see the value being around that neighbourhood still though 3rd maybe push it to a 2nd.

Reimer yeh makes sense at a 6th or 5th (as another pointed out). So we are good there.

If Broberg doesn’t make sense for Detroits pipeline it’s fine. We can take him out of the deal altogether. So no Berggren + 2nd for Broberg +4th. Oilers would look else where then for the young winger, possibly healthy scratched Wahlstrom in NYI.

The thing with Ceci though is that I havent asked for a return value for him in this trade. For this purposes he’s essentially a throw in right, which can then play a bit for Detroit until flipped for whatever.

So like let’s say
2nd/3rd = Ghost
5th/6th = Reimer
Nothing=Ceci

Should still be a deal in Detroits favor. If at the TDL and it’s a rebuild year I don’t think those futures would be too bad plus whatever they get for Ceci.
Dec. 14, 2023 at 5:02 a.m.

In exchange for...

EDIT: Excuse my error, putting Ghost (matchups permitting) as he would be gone in this scenario. Next season, it would be Seider, Ceci, Holl, Petry, Tuomisto so not ultimately as expensive.

Detroit is getting absolutely fleeced here.
mikearky liked this.
Dec. 14, 2023 at 6:41 a.m.
Quoting: aedoran
Detroit is getting absolutely fleeced here.

How so ?
Dec. 14, 2023 at 12:03 p.m.
arky
How so ?

Wings do not need another LHD as we have Evidsson, Wallander and Johansson in Minors, 2 having better seasons. Ceci is a dump for you so why are we paying to take him? Ghost maybe bad defensively, but he right now is top 10 in points for defensemen in the NHL. Then you get Burgers and we get some picks in the later rounds over the next two years. Like he said we are getting fleeced.

teams that are out of the playoff picture do not give up young talent and high picks and rentals with retention and give up young propsects for cap dumps and lower picks.
Dec. 14, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
Quoting: mikearky
Wings do not need another LHD as we have Evidsson, Wallander and Johansson in Minors, 2 having better seasons. Ceci is a dump for you so why are we paying to take him? Ghost maybe bad defensively, but he right now is top 10 in points for defensemen in the NHL. Then you get Burgers and we get some picks in the later rounds over the next two years. Like he said we are getting fleeced.

teams that are out of the playoff picture do not give up young talent and high picks and rentals with retention and give up young propsects for cap dumps and lower picks.

You said fleecing. Which implies the values are off.

You aren’t paying anything for Ceci in this deal. He’s a freebie. And he’s not even a cap dump at 3.25M that can play top 4.

Ghost = 3rd
Reimer = 6
Difference between Broberg/Berggreen=2nd/4th swap
Ceci = nothing, he’s free asset to be flipped by the Wings for more assets.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll