SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

Jan. 17 at 1:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
But STL can

And again, besides the 1 run, no conference finals and no SCF to show for it...

Still better than what we have seen these last 5 years
Jan. 17 at 1:52 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
Still better than what we have seen these last 5 years

Ok? Babcock was also "better"
Jan. 17 at 1:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 17 at 2:03 p.m.
Ok? Babcock was also "better"

Babcock was an old school guy who never made adjustments and had a bad reputation. We saw it in playoffs vs. BOS

He was basically a fossil from a forgotten era, like Holland the DET rep clouded people's judgement.

JT line aint working put em out more, Matthews barely plays and instead lets use a 1 leg Hyman. But still dont be looking at a guy who was hired in 2015 after winning a cup in 2007. Berube won cup 2019 fired 2024.

Heck Berube was interim HC at the time to pretty impressive as only 3 guys have done what he did (Dan Bylsma, Larry Robinson)

Gallant meanwhile has a trackrecord he survives 2 years then gets fired.

Berube won 5 years ago that aint that long ago. And heck if he helped one team who didnt win since 67 could do it again
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 17 at 2:04 p.m.
Tor really cant claim back to 2nd round exits when they only acheived it once since the Matthews era

Berube with the blues = cup, 2nd round, 1st round, 2nd round. Lot of the later struggles came thanks to Binnington and roster construction afterwards.

Thats better than Keefe's record Qualifying Round Loss, 1st round, 1st round, 1st round, 2nd round. Keefe should have been fired after the MTL series but nope Dubas didnt want his buddy to go heck Cassidy was available but nope

Give Berube these guys to work with he will get em further as look what he did for a Blues team outside a playoff spot, was fighting eachother during practice, and who almost a week before sold the TDL contemplated selling.

16 and 10 playoff run and a game 7 win over Bruins for first cup since 1967

As when we look at cup winners last 5 years hes up there

Berube
Cooper x 2
Bednar
Cassidy

This is one of the dumber takes I've seen on this board and I know you're not the only one to have written it.

Guy gets hired to coach the Marlies...wins the Calder Cup....replaces Babcock part way through 2019-20 which turns into a COVID year....1st "full season" he goes 35-14-7 and they lose in 7 to Montreal in another "bubble" playoffs....and 3 years later you want to point to that moment as when he should have been fired? Big time hindsight take
RipNasty liked this.
Jan. 17 at 2:06 p.m.
BC Shanny's always known to have kicked this group in the a*s

oh I am not expecting that to happen...just wish it would
Jan. 17 at 2:08 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Babcock was an old school guy who never made adjustments and had a bad reputation. We saw it in playoffs vs. BOS

He was basically a fossil from a forgotten era, like Holland the DET rep clouded people's judgement.

JT line aint working put em out more, Matthews barely plays and instead lets use a 1 leg Hyman. But still dont be looking at a guy who was hired in 2015 after winning a cup in 2007. Berube won cup 2019 fired 2024.

Heck Berube was interim HC at the time to pretty impressive as only 3 guys have done what he did (Dan Bylsma, Larry Robinson)

Gallant meanwhile has a trackrecord he survives 2 years then gets fired.

Berube won 5 years ago that aint that long ago. And heck if he helped one team who didnt win since 67 could do it again

BC STL was more patient with their coaches then VGK and NYR, VGK is already on their 4rth coach... for example...

And let's be real, NYR and VGK's players aren't as good as Leafs players
Jan. 17 at 2:08 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Juice
oh I am not expecting that to happen...just wish it would

And I wished they traded Nylander when his value was at its highest
Jan. 17 at 2:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
This is one of the dumber takes I've seen on this board and I know you're not the only one to have written it.

Guy gets hired to coach the Marlies...wins the Calder Cup....replaces Babcock part way through 2019-20 which turns into a COVID year....1st "full season" he goes 35-14-7 and they lose in 7 to Montreal in another "bubble" playoffs....and 3 years later you want to point to that moment as when he should have been fired? Big time hindsight take

After the Tampa series (first one) Dubas had the chance to change things and not just on the player front but the coaching front

Doubt started to creep in as Keefe had been outcoached in a playoff series 3 years in a row and who was now available to help potentially correct this problem... Bruce Cassidy.

Dubas had the chance for change to bring in a guy who took Boston to the SCF, among other accomplishments and what he do

Nothing, kept Keefe and yea rest is history

A clear upgrade was sitting right there and they did not act on it. We could have outbid VGK for him. But he wanted to stick to his buddy despite the track record being ugly

Missed opportunity
Jan. 17 at 2:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
BC STL was more patient with their coaches then VGK and NYR, VGK is already on their 4rth coach... for example...

And let's be real, NYR and VGK's players aren't as good as Leafs players

Thats not really a valid excuse

In general Gallant's system is a one year wonder thats it. Within the second year flaws start to show and then hes often fired

Two teams have done it lets not be the third
Jan. 17 at 2:13 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Thats not really a valid excuse

In general Gallant's system is a one year wonder thats it. Within the second year flaws start to show and then hes often fired

Two teams have done it lets not be the third

BC his teams usually changed a ton throughout and usually is a weaker team with guys who underperform... Like look at that 3rd line last year

And I'd take a SCF appearance any day over maybe a 2nd round exit
Jan. 17 at 2:24 p.m.
After the Tampa series (first one) Dubas had the chance to change things and not just on the player front but the coaching front

Doubt started to creep in as Keefe had been outcoached in a playoff series 3 years in a row and who was now available to help potentially correct this problem... Bruce Cassidy.

Dubas had the chance for change to bring in a guy who took Boston to the SCF, among other accomplishments and what he do

Nothing, kept Keefe and yea rest is history

A clear upgrade was sitting right there and they did not act on it. We could have outbid VGK for him. But he wanted to stick to his buddy despite the track record being ugly

Missed opportunity

And you see how this timeline for doubt starting to creep in is a lot different than standing up and saying he should have been fired the year prior?
Jan. 17 at 2:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
And you see how this timeline for doubt starting to creep in is a lot different than standing up and saying he should have been fired the year prior?

But back then one could say well who was available who would be a sure upgrade after MTL

The answer became available the following year Cassidy.

And for Keefe it would have been fine would have probs been NYR new HC lul
Jan. 17 at 2:33 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
As much as folks complain about the Leafs defensive play (with some justification), they don't seem to score enough also. Lots of two goals games don't cut it.
Jan. 17 at 2:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
As much as folks complain about the Leafs defensive play (with some justification), they don't seem to score enough also. Lots of two goals games don't cut it.

Well u need Willy and JT to wake up for that but they be on Vacay island

As man has anyone seen either of em

Matthews got his cookie and Marner his assists but has anyone seen those two guys?

11 and soon 11.5m be missing in action lul
palhal liked this.
Jan. 17 at 2:37 p.m.
But back then one could say well who was available who would be a sure upgrade after MTL

The answer became available the following year Cassidy.

And for Keefe it would have been fine would have probs been NYR new HC lul

I believe the correct response would have been "you're right..it would have been stupid to consider firing Keefe after the Montreal series"

all you've done it taken snapshots of later periods of time.
Jan. 17 at 2:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 17 at 2:47 p.m.
I believe the correct response would have been "you're right..it would have been stupid to consider firing Keefe after the Montreal series"

all you've done it taken snapshots of later periods of time.

Oh no I would have fired him if someone good was out there

But there wasnt till the following season

If Cooper, Sullivan, Bednar were all available after the MTL series Keefe its been nice knowing yah your fired hello Sullivan

As thats the thing when there's an upgrade available u take it who cares if this guy was with yah since juniors.

We missed out on one lets not do it again

Time is ticking for Keefe either he gets things going again for this team, wakes up the big boyz and they get going, or bye
Jan. 17 at 5:54 p.m.
Oh no I would have fired him if someone good was out there

But there wasnt till the following season

If Cooper, Sullivan, Bednar were all available after the MTL series Keefe its been nice knowing yah your fired hello Sullivan

As thats the thing when there's an upgrade available u take it who cares if this guy was with yah since juniors.

We missed out on one lets not do it again

Time is ticking for Keefe either he gets things going again for this team, wakes up the big boyz and they get going, or bye

Well then which is it? You keep walking back the comment more and more. You said point blank that he should have been fired but Dubas kept his "buddy".

Then you backed it up by bringing up later playoff failures as the tipping point for confidence in Keefe beginning to wane

Now you're saying there weren't any suitable replacements....so now you're actually contradicting your original comment. He should have been fired after montreal? Or not because there wasn't anybody better at the time?

I don't mean to bust b@lls and won't reply on the topic again...but I'll stand by my comment that it's a dumb take
RipNasty liked this.
Jan. 17 at 6:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 17 at 6:18 p.m.
Well then which is it? You keep walking back the comment more and more. You said point blank that he should have been fired but Dubas kept his "buddy".

Then you backed it up by bringing up later playoff failures as the tipping point for confidence in Keefe beginning to wane

Now you're saying there weren't any suitable replacements....so now you're actually contradicting your original comment. He should have been fired after montreal? Or not because there wasn't anybody better at the time?

I don't mean to bust blls and won't reply on the topic again...but I'll stand by my comment that it's a dumb take

I mean whats hard to see Dubas kept his buddy

Keefe and Dubas have been together since the SOO days

So even with all these issues Dubas was with Keefe till the day he got fired. SOO boyz till te end

There are many factors when it comes to hiring and firing a coach. In Dubas's case the main thing was the relation and both those guys were buddies thats mostly it

Even with playoff failures there are other aspects and it seems Dubas was content despite the upgrade sitting there in various aspects.

Thats really all there is to it dont see what there is to analyze further. Dubas ****ed up thats really it lul. Whether it be the MTL or TBL series there was an argument for Keefe or something to need to go but factors got in the way. Heck even when Dubas left Tree should have not gave Keefe an extension (easier to fire)

Anyways will end with this Tree's got a bullet lets see how he uses it
Jan. 17 at 6:25 p.m.
I mean whats hard to see Dubas kept his buddy

Keefe and Dubas have been together since the SOO days

So even with all these issues Dubas was with Keefe till the day he got fired. SOO boyz till te end

There are many factors when it comes to hiring and firing a coach. In Dubas's case the main thing was the relation and both those guys were buddies thats mostly it

Even with playoff failures there are other aspects and it seems Dubas was content despite the upgrade sitting there in various aspects.

Thats really all there is to it dont see what there is to analyze further. Dubas ****ed up thats really it lul. Whether it be the MTL or TBL series there was an argument for Keefe or something to need to go but factors got in the way. Heck even when Dubas left Tree should have not gave Keefe an extension (easier to fire)

Anyways will end with this Tree's got a bullet lets see how he uses it

You're responses are progressively more and more ridiculous....you still haven't supported your own take or come close to it

Your words: Dubas should have fired Keefe after the Montreal series but didn't because they were buddies

also your words: there wasn't a better coaching option available

so....if we put all your comments together...you're saying that Kyle SHOULD have fired a coach that he supported and had a good relationship with and hired somebody from a list that you also admit didn't present a better option.

I am not arguing that Keefe shouldn't have been fired at some point after the tampa losses...I'm just pointing out that your comment he should have been tossed after MTL is ridiculous and you've actually helped to prove my argument
Jan. 18 at 6:04 p.m.
Rip

Keefe I think is definitely an overrated coach and one who should have been fired last season. Losing to Montreal hurt but at the same time was awfully unlucky. Price had his last dance moment and JT was hurt 10 minutes in. Vs Tampa in year one you felt like you deserved a better fate but oh well. Beating Tampa was purely luck and how Keefe coached the 2nd round vs Florida was the final straw for me. Keefe doesn't ever adjust.

Execute! That's it. And when the other team figures you out? Well keep doing the same thing that isn't working.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll