Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 20, 2023
Published: Dec. 28, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
TOR
  1. Ferraro, Mario
Additional Details:
Ferraro's name has pooped up in the rumour mill here and there; and given what he does.... it is surprising.

Now, given where the Sharks are in theor rebuild moving him can make sense (Thurn, Okhutiuk); but the return has to be solid.

The 1st is most certainly a given.
Tverberg I see having a promising future as a middle 6 forward, just not sold that is in Toronto. Think Barbanov without size...... and the Sharks prospect pool at forward at the moment isn't all that deep. Time to let him flush out his game, but the talent is there.

Neimela is a necessary add (even though I don't want to). The Sharks RD is questionable, and even the prospect pool is heavier at RD. Neimela I know is polarizing on CF, but it is hard to deny he is at least a B+ prospect at this stage of his development.

Point is, with 2 years of Ferraro beyond this, provided Grier is willing to move him (nothing says he will), you ante up.

The age is right, the term is right, the contract is right to throw this sort of package out there.
SJS
  1. Niemelä, Topi
  2. Tverberg, Ryan
  3. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Leafs get a minute munching reliable defenseman.... can move the puck, hits, blocks shots with some offensive ability.

No, he is not a RD, but as the title suggests.... I am not paying a ransom for a rental. I will pay that for Ferraro - who checks off many boxes for the Leafs.

If you are gonna blow a wad, make it worth it.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$83,481,450$0$0$18,550
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 3
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 28, 2023 at 5:53 p.m.
If I was the Leafs I would not give away a first-round pick.
SomeonesOffended and RipNasty liked this.
Dec. 28, 2023 at 5:56 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Vancity2196
If I was the Leafs I would not give away a first-round pick.

Unless it's an offer they can't refuse (4 2nds and 2 3rds as an example...)

And the Canucks shouldn't either
Dec. 28, 2023 at 5:59 p.m.
Ferraro is the same player as McCabe is. Like almost exactly the same.
While the price would be reasonable for most teams, he doesn’t move the needle for Toronto - so why are you going to overspend? Why not do it for someone that does?
The price listed isn’t too far off what Larsson should cost so go after him because he actually fills a need and is signed beyond this year.
This just feels like one of those “make a trade just to make a trade” type of deal. It’s redundant.
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Dec. 28, 2023 at 6:13 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: GreatWhiteNorth
While the price would be reasonable for most teams, he doesn’t move the needle for Toronto - so why are you going to overspend? Why not do it for someone that does?
The price listed isn’t too far off what Larsson should cost so go after him because he actually fills a need and is signed beyond this year.
This just feels like one of those “make a trade just to make a trade” type of deal. It’s redundant.

The first half is somewhat correct, the second half is a little off base. The way I see it, the Leafs aren't really a contender this year. They need more than 1 defenceman to become one. Ferraro is legit getting crushed every night. Nothing about his numbers shouts "reliable" guy has been on the ice for over 40 goals against so far. His expected goals for percentage is under 25%. He's the usual not great player on a bad team, that some fans look at his hits and say, he's awesome. He isn't
Dec. 28, 2023 at 6:44 p.m.
a trade!
Dec. 28, 2023 at 6:53 p.m.
Marner rocks
Ferraro isn't the d-man the leafs need. Hopefully not the trade Trev makes or he should be out the door. The leafs need size to compete with their division in the playoffs.
Dec. 28, 2023 at 9:33 p.m.

Where Larsson would be an excellent fit; IF moving a first I want a guy with more term..... which Ferraro has. Is the the same type of D as McCabe? In many ways yes. But, is that a bad thing? Can just as easily move McCabe to the right side; which has has played.

Would love Larsson. But knowing what that process point may look like for what maybe only one year beyond thials...... I for one cannot do it.
Quoting: RipNasty
The first half is somewhat correct, the second half is a little off base. The way I see it, the Leafs aren't really a contender this year. They need more than 1 defenceman to become one. Ferraro is legit getting crushed every night. Nothing about his numbers shouts "reliable" guy has been on the ice for over 40 goals against so far. His expected goals for percentage is under 25%. He's the usual not great player on a bad team, that some fans look at his hits and say, he's awesome. He isn't

Gotta be honest here..... I am one of those old school guys that sees some value in analytics, but doesn't put much stock in them either.

I mean the Sharks as a whole are crushed every night. If your partner is Kyle Burroughs most nights, or Rutta others it doesn't scream offense from the back end.

And frankly, when the Sharks goaltending has looked better than Toronto's, that just might be an indicator on what Ferraro can do. Not bringing him is to be an offensive catalyst. Bringing him in to defend. Which in San Jose he does a lot of.... because they simply don't have an offense beyond Hertl and Granlund! at this point. Is that 40 goals against more a function of how much time the Sharks spend in their own end (and Ferraro?) or a function of Ferraro solely.

Stats in microcosms....... we can agree to disagree.
Dec. 28, 2023 at 10:34 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: swinny
Where Larsson would be an excellent fit; IF moving a first I want a guy with more term..... which Ferraro has. Is the the same type of D as McCabe? In many ways yes. But, is that a bad thing? Can just as easily move McCabe to the right side; which has has played.

Would love Larsson. But knowing what that process point may look like for what maybe only one year beyond thials...... I for one cannot do it.

Gotta be honest here..... I am one of those old school guys that sees some value in analytics, but doesn't put much stock in them either.

I mean the Sharks as a whole are crushed every night. If your partner is Kyle Burroughs most nights, or Rutta others it doesn't scream offense from the back end.

And frankly, when the Sharks goaltending has looked better than Toronto's, that just might be an indicator on what Ferraro can do. Not bringing him is to be an offensive catalyst. Bringing him in to defend. Which in San Jose he does a lot of.... because they simply don't have an offense beyond Hertl and Granlund! at this point. Is that 40 goals against more a function of how much time the Sharks spend in their own end (and Ferraro?) or a function of Ferraro solely.

Stats in microcosms....... we can agree to disagree.

Good players in bad teams tilt the ice to their teams direction. Ferraro doesn't do that at all. He's a better Benoit but the Leafs don't need more Benoit's, they need more guys that can do a lot more. The Leafs defence as a whole is not very mobile. Rielly sure is, but Brodie's lost a step, GOP's not very quick now, McCabe isn't slow but he's not overly great with the puck. Liljegren and Timmins can skate and both move the puck well. But the controlled zone entries are not looking good for TO. And our defence has a lot of trouble getting the puck out of the zone in control. That's a really big problem, you're chasing the game which the Leafs have done way more than normal this season. Ferraro doesn't really add much to this. He replaces Benoit and hopefully better but is a guy who gets blast playing against the opposition's best, become a legit defender in the same role on a better team? If he had better results you can make an argument, but Ferraro is just a 3rd pair guy.
Dec. 28, 2023 at 11:37 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
Good players in bad teams tilt the ice to their teams direction. Ferraro doesn't do that at all. He's a better Benoit but the Leafs don't need more Benoit's, they need more guys that can do a lot more. The Leafs defence as a whole is not very mobile. Rielly sure is, but Brodie's lost a step, GOP's not very quick now, McCabe isn't slow but he's not overly great with the puck. Liljegren and Timmins can skate and both move the puck well. But the controlled zone entries are not looking good for TO. And our defence has a lot of trouble getting the puck out of the zone in control. That's a really big problem, you're chasing the game which the Leafs have done way more than normal this season. Ferraro doesn't really add much to this. He replaces Benoit and hopefully better but is a guy who gets blast playing against the opposition's best, become a legit defender in the same role on a better team? If he had better results you can make an argument, but Ferraro is just a 3rd pair guy.

Hear what you are saying on the zone entries...... buy from the offensive perspective, not having Liligren and Giordano for a stretch didn't help. As for the constant collapses at the blueline, I would say that has been an issue for a couple years.

Now that we are seeing a "healthier" blueline, I wonder if the D znne exit issues improve - which arguably they should.

But back to defending the blueline.....

Ferraro traditionally falls back. I get that. I also get that he is playing minutes he probably shouldn't be in San Jose - asking too much. What looks like a 3rd pairing D with the Sharks I think could be a 2nd pairing option in Toronto.

Is he perfect? No. Not sure there is a perfect fit.

What he does do prevents pucks from getting to the net. Moves bodies. An element that the blueline in Toronto also lacks.

Not saying what you are putting out there is off-base. Simply see a defender that adds something, and still has potential to do more if out in a situation to succeed. I don't think anyone is going to disagree he is being asked way too much as a Shark.

Maybe this is an overpay. But for a defender this young and a contract mot that onerous, you are giving up something.
Dec. 29, 2023 at 12:27 a.m.
Rip
Hear what you are saying on the zone entries...... buy from the offensive perspective, not having Liligren and Giordano for a stretch didn't help. As for the constant collapses at the blueline, I would say that has been an issue for a couple years.

Now that we are seeing a "healthier" blueline, I wonder if the D znne exit issues improve - which arguably they should.

But back to defending the blueline.....

Ferraro traditionally falls back. I get that. I also get that he is playing minutes he probably shouldn't be in San Jose - asking too much. What looks like a 3rd pairing D with the Sharks I think could be a 2nd pairing option in Toronto.

Is he perfect? No. Not sure there is a perfect fit.

What he does do prevents pucks from getting to the net. Moves bodies. An element that the blueline in Toronto also lacks.

Not saying what you are putting out there is off-base. Simply see a defender that adds something, and still has potential to do more if out in a situation to succeed. I don't think anyone is going to disagree he is being asked way too much as a Shark.

Maybe this is an overpay. But for a defender this young and a contract mot that onerous, you are giving up something.

I fully admit he probably provides an upgrade somewhere in the lineup but I don't think it's really all that much of one in the grand scheme of things. Unless we are getting a difference maker, spending big assets is a waste. Ferraro isn't a difference maker, could be a good player but for this much, it's not worth it.
Dec. 29, 2023 at 11:23 a.m.
Gotta be honest, this idea has stuck in my head for a few days now and I’m more on board than I originally was. There’s going to be a hole on the left side to fill for the 2LD spot come this summer and as much as I wouldn’t be surprised to see Treliving overpay Zadorov to fill it, Ferraro might be better to save some cap space.

The biggest issue I have with it is the 1st in the deal - Treliving highly values 1st round picks and doesn’t like trading them that often. With the Leafs system lacking any real good prospects it’s gonna be tough to move but I think it would at least make them think about it
Dec. 29, 2023 at 11:42 a.m.
Gotta be honest, this idea has stuck in my head for a few days now and I’m more on board than I originally was. There’s going to be a hole on the left side to fill for the 2LD spot come this summer and as much as I wouldn’t be surprised to see Treliving overpay Zadorov to fill it, Ferraro might be better to save some cap space.

The biggest issue I have with it is the 1st in the deal - Treliving highly values 1st round picks and doesn’t like trading them that often. With the Leafs system lacking any real good prospects it’s gonna be tough to move but I think it would at least make them think about it

Oh, I hate moving the 1st. Hate.

It is more to the point of if (and I stress if) Tree moves it, it had better be for someone with some real term.

Ferraro has is haters. I did some further research on his analytics..... although they are not great, they are mid-pack on this Sharks roster. xGF, XGA, both are mid pack..... surprising not much worse the Hertl's this year (which shocked me). The comparison only makes me think he is a viable target.

Believe me, I hate moving the 1st. Hate moving Neimela.... both assets are where the Leafs are thinnest.
Ryminister_92 liked this.
Dec. 29, 2023 at 1:07 p.m.
Oh, I hate moving the 1st. Hate.

It is more to the point of if (and I stress if) Tree moves it, it had better be for someone with some real term.

Ferraro has is haters. I did some further research on his analytics..... although they are not great, they are mid-pack on this Sharks roster. xGF, XGA, both are mid pack..... surprising not much worse the Hertl's this year (which shocked me). The comparison only makes me think he is a viable target.

Believe me, I hate moving the 1st. Hate moving Neimela.... both assets are where the Leafs are thinnest.

I don’t mind moving Niemela tbh. I don’t think he plays a game in a Leafs jersey ever. He’s too small for what Treliving likes. He’s more than likely a big trade chip because other teams will value him more than Treliving does
swinny liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll