Forums/Armchair-GM

Possible Caps Trades

Created by: Nolan_Gooch
Team: 2023-24 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 2, 2024
Published: Jan. 2, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
DISCLAIMER: Just to be entirely clear, I don't see all these trades happening. In fact I really don't see most of these trades happening. I just want input on which trades are the most likely to happen and the ones that are most fair.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
Trades
ANA
  1. Kuznetsov, Evgeny ($2,800,000 retained)
  2. Stevenson, Clay
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (WSH)
  4. 2026 1st round pick (WSH)
WSH
  1. Frost, Morgan
  2. 2024 4th round pick (PHI)
PHI
  1. Dowd, Nic
  2. van Riemsdyk, Trevor ($930,000 retained)
  3. 2024 5th round pick (WSH)
ARI
  1. Malenstyn, Beck
  2. Mantha, Anthony
  3. 2025 2nd round pick (COL)
FLA
  1. Milano, Sonny
  2. Phillips, Matthew
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (BOS)
  4. 2025 1st round pick (WSH)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$76,845,000$20,000$315,000$6,655,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 5
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,300,000$4,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$2,100,000$2,100,000
C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$232,500$232K)
C
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$4,725,000$4,725,000
LD
UFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,675,000$2,675,000
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,062,500$2,062,500
RD
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$2,000,000$2M)
LW
NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Which Was The Best Trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 2 at 9:56 a.m.
Every single one of these trades are horrendous for the Caps except the PHI trade.

Sandin>Provorov let alone throwing in a 2nd.
Strome is a mediocre middle 6 center, you're giving up a 1st and the best goalie in the AHL and potential future great NHLr in Stevenson.
Mantha>Crouse let alone throwing in a 2nd.
Caps are giving up a 1st and a good middle 6 wingers for 2 bottom 6 wingers in Stenlund and Luostarinen?
Jan. 2 at 10:03 a.m.
I would certainly think about trading Strome for that return

Only problem I’d see is that the 1st isn’t until 2026
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 2 at 10:09 a.m.
Quoting: GeneralLandro
I would certainly think about trading Strome for that return

Only problem I’d see is that the 1st isn’t until 2026

It's a steal for ANA for Stevenson alone. Kid is going to be great.
Jan. 2 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: ClockReads2113
Every single one of these trades are horrendous for the Caps except the PHI trade.

Strome is a mediocre middle 6 center, you're giving up a 1st and the best goalie in the AHL and potential future great NHLr in Stevenson.
Caps are giving up a 1st and a good middle 6 wingers for 2 bottom 6 wingers in Stenlund and Luostarinen?

sandin is a good young defensemen but provorov has more offensive skill and is still sorta young

Strome currently has 20 points on the season and the ducks are one of the very few teams that have the ability to take on most of Kuzy's contract. so the picks and Stevenson are there to sweeten the cap dump.

No, Mantha is not better than Crouse. Mantha has (11 goals, 5 assists) and Crouse has (16 goals, 7 assists). Crouse literally has as many goals than Mantha has points this season. Crouse is 26 and Mantha is 30. Crouse is a younger, cheaper and more offensively talented player who's just starting to find his game.

And the Florida trade is trading 2 middle six wingers with low point totals and poor play this season for 2 bottom six wingers with more points to strengthen our depth/ 4th line.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 2 at 10:16 a.m.
Would do the Frost deal in a heartbeat but hard hard hard passes on the rest of them.

This teams biggest problem is scoring and a lack of elite talent, especially at forward. I do not see them making any significant moves unless they result in an elite scorer making their way to DC. Ryan Strome, Crouse, Luostorianen are all fine players but are not elite scorers (that's even before getting into what you have as the returns for these guys). I don't even see a guy like Lindholm being a target for them for the same reason. Good 2c, probably even on a contender, but he's been an elite scorer exactly once in his career and that was when he was playing between at the time probably 2 of the 5 best offensive players in the league.

I don't really see any in-season additions that make that much sense unless someone shakes loose that wasn't expected. Does OTT move on from someone like Batherson? BUF from Cozens/Middlestadt/Tuch? PHI from Konecny? STL from Thomas or Kyrou? I highly doubt it, and even if they did I'm not sure the Caps would be able to meet the asking price, but those are the only types of guys I can see them being truly interested in. Otherwise, just wait until UFA when you can offer Nylander or Reinhart an absolute boatload of cash.
ClockReads2113 and brady_t12 liked this.
Jan. 2 at 10:19 a.m.
Quoting: Nolan_Gooch
sandin is a good young defensemen but provorov has more offensive skill and is still sorta young

Strome currently has 20 points on the season and the ducks are one of the very few teams that have the ability to take on most of Kuzy's contract. so the picks and Stevenson are there to sweeten the cap dump.

No, Mantha is not better than Crouse. Mantha has (11 goals, 5 assists) and Crouse has (16 goals, 7 assists). Crouse literally has as many goals than Mantha has points this season. Crouse is 26 and Mantha is 30. Crouse is a younger, cheaper and more offensively talented player who's just starting to find his game.

And the Florida trade is trading 2 middle six wingers with low point totals and poor play this season for 2 bottom six wingers with more points to strengthen our depth/ 4th line.

it's crazy how you dont realize i just made one of the best offensive and deep teams with trades that are pretty realistic.
Jan. 2 at 10:29 a.m.
Quoting: qc14
Would do the Frost deal in a heartbeat but hard hard hard passes on the rest of them.

This teams biggest problem is scoring and a lack of elite talent, especially at forward. I do not see them making any significant moves unless they result in an elite scorer making their way to DC. Ryan Strome, Crouse, Luostorianen are all fine players but are not elite scorers (that's even before getting into what you have as the returns for these guys). I don't even see a guy like Lindholm being a target for them for the same reason. Good 2c, probably even on a contender, but he's been an elite scorer exactly once in his career and that was when he was playing between at the time probably 2 of the 5 best offensive players in the league.

I don't really see any in-season additions that make that much sense unless someone shakes loose that wasn't expected. Does OTT move on from someone like Batherson? BUF from Cozens/Middlestadt/Tuch? PHI from Konecny? STL from Thomas or Kyrou? I highly doubt it, and even if they did I'm not sure the Caps would be able to meet the asking price, but those are the only types of guys I can see them being truly interested in. Otherwise, just wait until UFA when you can offer Nylander or Reinhart an absolute boatload of cash.

we don't need elite scoring/talent, we need depth scoring/talent. Our 3rd and 4th line are basically useless and i think the trades that i did are very fair for both teams and added depth in the bottom 6 and consistently good top 6 by adding Crouse and Ryan Strome.
Jan. 2 at 10:40 a.m.
we don't need elite scoring/talent, we need depth scoring/talent. Our 3rd and 4th line are basically useless and i think the trades that i did are very fair for both teams and added depth in the bottom 6 and consistently good top 6 by adding Crouse and Ryan Strome.

Our top scorer has 21 points in 34 games. We need elite scoring talent. Ryan Strome is a career .55 ppg player, Lawson Crouse is at .38.

You make the bottom 6 better not by replacing the current bottom 6 players with other bottom 6 players but by getting actual top-line talents and letting everyone else play down a role.
Jan. 2 at 10:42 a.m.

Sandin is better, younger, cheaper and isn't homophobic. Caps aren't doing that.

Strome plays on the wing of Zegras has always had bad to mediocre impact numbers. He's a middle 6 player. The Caps don't need more of those guys.

Crouse is good but he's playing top 6 and gets PP time. He has 1 more 5v5 point than Mantha. Mantha plays 3rd line and gets little to no PP time. They're basically the same player, not paying the extra 2nd for the same thing. You can say Crouse is younger but Mantha is better analytically so it's a wash.

Even if you believe what you said about the FLA trade (Milano is as good or better than those 2), slightly upgrading your bottom 6 should never involve a 1st round pick, ever.
qc14 and brady_t12 liked this.
Jan. 2 at 10:48 a.m.
not a he )
Columbus accepts with some reluctance, since Provorov is currently the 1D while Werenski is out again, but that's an offer they cannot refuse. Not sure why Washington would even entertain it, except that Provorov is an assist machine and they're not getting any kind of offense from their blue line.
ClockReads2113 and brady_t12 liked this.
Jan. 2 at 10:54 a.m.
Sandin is better, younger, cheaper and isn't homophobic. Caps aren't doing that.

Strome plays on the wing of Zegras has always had bad to mediocre impact numbers. He's a middle 6 player. The Caps don't need more of those guys.

Crouse is good but he's playing top 6 and gets PP time. He has 1 more 5v5 point than Mantha. Mantha plays 3rd line and gets little to no PP time. They're basically the same player, not paying the extra 2nd for the same thing. You can say Crouse is younger but Mantha is better analytically so it's a wash.

Even if you believe what you said about the FLA trade (Milano is as good or better than those 2), slightly upgrading your bottom 6 should never involve a 1st round pick, ever.

If you think anyone cares about Provorovs beliefs, you're a clown. He was defending his religion like everyone should have the ability to.

Zegras has been out and has only produced 5 points before his injury and yet strome has still put up 20 points(3 goals, 17 assists). Strome is embracing a playmaker style of play which could be what ovi needs to heat up again.

You're right about the Crouse and Mantha trade but i still think its a great trade so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Milano is injured and even before his injury he wasn't playing great. The 1st is probably a bit to much but i do stand by this deal due to the fact they are good and young depth players that could move up.
Jan. 2 at 10:59 a.m.
It's a steal for ANA for Stevenson alone. Kid is going to be great.

Yeah I have no clue who he is honestly
Jan. 2 at 11:05 a.m.
Quoting: GeneralLandro
Yeah I have no clue who he is honestly

he's a AHL goalie prospect that the caps have that currently has a 1.70 GAA and a .937 SV% in 16 games
Jan. 2 at 11:08 a.m.
If you think anyone cares about Provorovs beliefs, you're a clown. He was defending his religion like everyone should have the ability to.

Zegras has been out and has only produced 5 points before his injury and yet strome has still put up 20 points(3 goals, 17 assists). Strome is embracing a playmaker style of play which could be what ovi needs to heat up again.

You're right about the Crouse and Mantha trade but i still think its a great trade so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Milano is injured and even before his injury he wasn't playing great. The 1st is probably a bit to much but i do stand by this deal due to the fact they are good and young depth players that could move up.

Provorov is also bad at hockey that's the main point.

We have plenty of playmakers in Strome and Kuz that can feed Ovi. Playmaking isn't the issue. Again, R Strome is a fine middle 6 winger but again we don't need that. Only thing this team needs is a legit top 6 line player. All your trades are for meh players. Caps are giving up way too much for such a little (if any) improvement.
Jan. 2 at 2:21 p.m.

mantha>crouse OK AZ has no wants for that trade anyway you can keep mantha
Jan. 2 at 2:49 p.m.
Quoting: bwhsocal
mantha>crouse OK AZ has no wants for that trade anyway you can keep mantha

Gladly.
Jan. 2 at 4:09 p.m.
So the Flyers give up the best player in the deal, the youngest player in the deal, and have to attach a higher pick?

Easy no.

Frost may occasionally be in Torts' crosshairs, but he isn't now, and that doesn't mean we'd trade him for elderly table scraps within the division.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit