Forums/Armchair-GM

Caps playing big ball adding Zegras and Byram

Created by: MW6
Team: 2023-24 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 3, 2024
Published: Jan. 10, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Caps are not in contention this year and probably won’t be until the Kuzy/Oshie/Carlson-contracts are off the books (which I hardly think GMBM is able to move). But adding these 3 players to Mirosnichenko, Leonard, McMichael, Cristall, Sandin, Lapierre, Protas, Stevenson, Chesley, Iorio is a good foundation to start the next cycle, the post-Ovie era.

Moving Caps 1st this year unprotected is a gamble but also adds to its value for Anaheim. They still get to pick in the first round to hopefully adding another valuable future core member.
Trades
WSH
  1. Minten, Fraser
  2. Samsonov, Ilya
  3. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Taking back Samsonov drove up the price, but that first round pick is looking like a pretty late one.
TOR
  1. Dowd, Nic
  2. Edmundson, Joel ($875,000 retained)
  3. Lindgren, Charlie
  4. Pacioretty, Max
Additional Details:
Leafs buy the whole playoff package, depth in all areas at good prices while also getting Samsonov off their payroll. Pacioretty adds depth scoring and he would probably want another shot at the cup and be willing to waive his NMC, Dowd is one of the best 4Cs in the league, Edmundson and Lindgren are cheap backups.
WSH
  1. Zegras, Trevor
Additional Details:
Zegras the skill injection the Caps need at the top of their lineup with Backstrom out and Kuznetsov mailing it in. McMichael is also more of a scoring C than a playmaking one.
ANA
  1. Alexeyev, Alexander
  2. Jensen, Nick
  3. Suzdalev, Alexander
  4. 2024 1st round pick (WSH)
  5. 2025 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Ducks will have a plethora of centers with Carlson and McTavish being most well-rounded (and highest draft picks, not that it should matter). Zegras is unlikely to be deployed as 3C since it doesn’t fit his skill set. And the way Ducks have handled him this year along with his struggles indicates that he may be moved. Dicks also have Strome, Killorn and Terry on long term deals.Caps offer 2 good picks (no protection), a former 1st round pick and a prospect with upside along with a right-shooting veteran leader on the backend.
WSH
  1. Byram, Bowen
Additional Details:
Bowen, if he can stay healthy, can step up to be the future 1D for the Caps after Carlson and fits the age group of the next gen Caps slowly finding its way on to the roster.
COL
  1. Mantha, Anthony ($2,850,000 retained)
  2. Strome, Dylan
  3. van Riemsdyk, Trevor ($1,500,000 retained)
  4. 2025 2nd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
Avs really need a good but cheap 2C, neither Ross nor Johansen has shown capable of handling that duty, Strome fits the bill both in age, quality and contract. Avs are stacked at the blueline and recently committed long term to Toews to sure up their 1st pair. Behind them are Mason and Girard signed for at least the next 2 years to give them a contender-worthy top-4. Mantha and TVR with retention gives them a serious playoff push offset capwise by using their LTIR cap space and sending someone to the AHL.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$72,908,334$20,000$952,500$10,591,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW
RFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$232,500$232K)
C
RFA - 2
$1,225,000$1,225,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$845,833$845,833
C, LW
RFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,850,000$3,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,062,500$2,062,500
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,675,000$2,675,000
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$814,167$814,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RD
RFA - 3
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 10 at 12:33 p.m.
Don't think the Avs give up Byram, while the logic is definitely there in your trade and the value seems fair, I think they'd rather give up Girard and maybe a pick in a 1 for 1 swap with Strome
SomeonesOffended, M96N29, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 10 at 12:36 p.m.
First no chance imo that Leafs move Minten. And almost no chance they move their 2024 1st unless they get a true difference maker (on D) back. Moving both for this is pretty much non starter
SomeonesOffended and Rodger11 liked this.
Jan. 10 at 12:36 p.m.
There is absolutely nothing in that leafs trade that gets you a 1st or a good prospect
SomeonesOffended and Rodger11 liked this.
Jan. 10 at 12:43 p.m.
I appreciate the laugh. Thank you
NMAvsFan, SomeonesOffended, Rodger11 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 10 at 12:52 p.m.
Representing the 505
Avs do need a 2C so Strome isn't a fit; sorry, not a 2C on a quick transition team
Jan. 10 at 12:58 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Colorado and Toronto say No without much thought. Anaheim might say Yes if you substitute Vince Iorio or Ryan Chesley for Alex Alexeyev and Bogdan Trineyev for Alex Suzdalev.
Jan. 10 at 1:04 p.m.
Quoting: Julius_Freezer
Don't think the Avs give up Byram, while the logic is definitely there in your trade and the value seems fair, I think they'd rather give up Girard and maybe a pick in a 1 for 1 swap with Strome

Girard isn’t moving the needle enough for the Caps IMO to do a 1 for 1 with Strome who has been their best C for a year and a half with 89 points since the start of last season.
qc14 liked this.
Jan. 10 at 1:06 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Colorado and Toronto say No without much thought. Anaheim might say Yes if you substitute Vince Iorio or Ryan Chesley for Alex Alexeyev and Bogdan Trineyev for Alex Suzdalev.

I wouldn’t oppose switching those prospects tbh. Both RHD are obviously a little more precious but you have to give to get.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 10 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: MitchMafia
First no chance imo that Leafs move Minten. And almost no chance they move their 2024 1st unless they get a true difference maker (on D) back. Moving both for this is pretty much non starter

Quoting: JaredOfLondon
There is absolutely nothing in that leafs trade that gets you a 1st or a good prospect

It isn’t only about what they’re getting, it’s also getting rid of Samsonov which is the key to upgrade to rest of the roster. I’d offer Nick Jensen instead of Edmundson if the Leafs could fit him under the cap?

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Pacioretty-Tavares-Nylander
Bertuzzi-Domi-Jarnkrok
Kampf-Dowd-Gregor/Mccann/Holmberg

Looks like the team to beat to me. And I hope you haven’t been sleeping on how many games Lindgren has stolen for the Caps this year?
Jan. 10 at 1:36 p.m.
Quoting: MW6
It isn’t only about what they’re getting, it’s also getting rid of Samsonov which is the key to upgrade to rest of the roster. I’d offer Nick Jensen instead of Edmundson if the Leafs could fit him under the cap?

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Jarnkrok

Looks like the team to beat to me. And I hope you haven’t been sleeping on how many games Lindgren has stolen for the Caps this year?

Yeah, still not even close, a bunch of roster filler and a mild cap dump doesn't get you anything close to tha4 valu3
Jan. 10 at 1:36 p.m.
Quoting: MeetYourMakar
I appreciate the laugh. Thank you

I take it from your name you’re an Avs fan? Instead of making a smirky remark, I’d appreciate some constructive feedback instead to help me see the deal from you POV? Like NMavsFAN did.

Quoting: NMAvsFan
Avs do need a 2C so Strome isn't a fit; sorry, not a 2C on a quick transition team

Ok, I know he hasn’t got the burners like MacKinnon but he can surely hang with fast players and playing fast is equally much making fast decisions IMO where he’s been really good along with his more then solid defensive game.
Jan. 10 at 1:41 p.m.
Yeah, still not even close, a bunch of roster filler and a mild cap dump doesn't get you anything close to tha4 valu3

Ok, you do know this is TDL currency right? so what does that package get you in your opinion?
Jan. 10 at 1:44 p.m.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Jarnkrok

Don’t see how getting rid of Samsonov is a major priority; time to see if he can find his ‘A’ game and if not, bury him with Marlies. Lindgren is a good piece but nowhere near worth Minten or a 1st; the other pieces coming Leafs way are meh. Pacioretty coming off extended injuries, Kampf already plays 4C & Edmunsen is 7th dman. Too high a price for Leafs imo
Jan. 10 at 1:49 p.m.
Ok, you do know this is TDL currency right? so what does that package get you in your opinion?

I do know, i also know that a sub 3 mill pending ufa contract at the deadline is worth like a 3rd max, even less when there is a bunch of stuff that is outright useless coming back like edmundson or patches
Jan. 10 at 1:52 p.m.
Quoting: MitchMafia
Don’t see how getting rid of Samsonov is a major priority; time to see if he can find his ‘A’ game and if not, bury him with Marlies. Lindgren is a good piece but nowhere near worth Minten or a 1st; the other pieces coming Leafs way are meh. Pacioretty coming off extended injuries, Kampf already plays 4C & Edmunsen is 7th dman. Too high a price for Leafs imo

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Burying Samsonov only saves the Leafs some 900-ish k right? Doesn’t add lot of flexibility plus leaving them a goalie short of a zero-sum game bringing someone up from the Marlies. I don’t follow the Leafs as much as you do so you are probably more on top of their needs and cap situation than me. I’m curious though, what would you offer for that package?
Jan. 10 at 1:55 p.m.
I do know, i also know that a sub 3 mill pending ufa contract at the deadline is worth like a 3rd max, even less when there is a bunch of stuff that is outright useless coming back like edmundson or patches

Yes, in a vacuum. And Samsonov isn’t a sub-3 million contract either. But it’s not the cards your dealt, it’s how you’re playing the cards. If teams know the Leafs flexibility is riding on them getting rid of Samsonov’s contract then that price has the risk of going up. This is a “fix-it-all-at-once” offer, but I might’ve overreached. Do you have a counteroffer?
Jan. 10 at 1:58 p.m.
Yes, in a vacuum. But it’s not the cards your dealt, it’s how you’re playing the cards. If teams know the Leafs flexibility is riding on them getting rid of Samsonov’s contract then that price has the risk of going up. This is a “fix-it-all-at-once” offer, but I might’ve overreached. Do you have a counteroffer?

Yeah, that's not true at all. And this doesnt fix a damned thing. This replaces samsonovs cap hit with three separate cap hits and clogs up the roster with bad players. If you wanna play trade the contracts we dont want then you arnt getting any picks or good prospects and the leafs arnt doing that because this doesnt make them better at all
Jan. 10 at 2:07 p.m.
Yeah, that's not true at all. And this doesnt fix a damned thing. This replaces samsonovs cap hit with three separate cap hits and clogs up the roster with bad players. If you wanna play trade the contracts we dont want then you arnt getting any picks or good prospects and the leafs arnt doing that because this doesnt make them better at all

Ok, I really thought this would improve the Leafs enough to make it worth the cost but I was clearly out in the blue.
Jan. 10 at 2:19 p.m.
Ok, I really thought this would improve the Leafs enough to make it worth the cost but I was clearly out in the blue.

The only remotely interesting player here for the leafs is lindgren and backup goalies are cheap in trade, they dont need bad bottom pairing defenders, washed old forwards who cant stay healthy and old 4th liners who arnt very good, especially when it doesnt save them any cap
Jan. 10 at 2:47 p.m.
I take it from your name you’re an Avs fan? Instead of making a smirky remark, I’d appreciate some constructive feedback instead to help me see the deal from you POV? Like NMavsFAN did.

Ok, I know he hasn’t got the burners like MacKinnon but he can surely hang with fast players and playing fast is equally much making fast decisions IMO where he’s been really good along with his more then solid defensive game.

I legit thought this was a joke post.

Edit: to add to it. Byram is worth more the the Avs than a broken Mantha, two over the hill players who cant play the Avs system and a 2nd. You want a future 1D, you're going to have to pay for it.
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 10 at 3:02 p.m.
I legit thought this was a joke post.

Edit: to add to it. Byram is worth more the the Avs than a broken Mantha, two over the hill players who cant play the Avs system and a 2nd. You want a future 1D, you're going to have to pay for it.

Ouch, I actually put a lot of thought on this.

Thanks for adding why you felt that way. Mantha though, has bounced back this year. Skating harder, playing responsibly in the defensive zone, scoring etc.. and how is 26 years old Strome over the hill? TVR is really solid and would upgrade the 3rd pairing.
I understand Byram’s special and wouldn’t target him if he wasn’t, this is more looking at needs and how adding these pieces would affect to total performance of the team.
Jan. 10 at 3:20 p.m.
Ouch, I actually put a lot of thought on this.

Thanks for adding why you felt that way. Mantha though, has bounced back this year. Skating harder, playing responsibly in the defensive zone, scoring etc.. and how is 26 years old Strome over the hill? TVR is really solid and would upgrade the 3rd pairing.
I understand Byram’s special and wouldn’t target him if he wasn’t, this is more looking at needs and how adding these pieces would affect to total performance of the team.

Fair but I don't think its wise to do that if you don't have the pieces to acquire said player. I thought Strome was older, 27 in a few weeks isnt bad. Maybe its just because he's played on a few teams. Strome isn't the kind of piece you move Byram for or center a trade around. Edit: It's more of a Behrens move.
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 10 at 3:59 p.m.
Fair but I don't think its wise to do that if you don't have the pieces to acquire said player. I thought Strome was older, 27 in a few weeks isnt bad. Maybe its just because he's played on a few teams. Strome isn't the kind of piece you move Byram for or center a trade around. Edit: It's more of a Behrens move.

Sorry but I don’t know what a Behrens move is?

He has 89 points (38 goals) in 119 games since the start of last season playing mostly second fiddle behind Kuznetsov/Backstrom with PP2-duty, signed for 3 more years at 5M. I don’t think there are a lot of better options out there. But I get that the team letting go of the best player in the deal is always a little hesitant. Do the Caps have something that would entice you to let him go? I mean by adding to Strome.
Jan. 10 at 4:04 p.m.
On the first deal: I think despite what Leafs fans may say all of the pieces going to them in that deal make sense and would be great adds. The price though is way too high and you don't really see big package deals like that often. Given they don't have many mid-level assets, I think they wouldn't be the best fit for guys like Lindgren and Dowd. Could definitely see them as a landing spot for Pacioretty 50% retained for like a 5th or similar.

On the second: that probably gets Zegras done but I would be VERY hesitant to do so. I just don't see him as a real driver and for that price I kind of expect it.

On the third: I really like the idea and its intriguing but I honestly think that the Caps pass on their current trajectory. If Ovi was retiring after this year or wasn't close to hitting the record and they were going for a full on rebuild I love it. They aren't though, and I honestly think that for what the org is trying to accomplish the next 2.5 years Strome is more important than Byram -- he really is the Ovi whisperer and has been legitimately great for this team on a very friendly deal. If Byram was a forward I would say do it, but they absolutely NEED someone to play with Ovi.

From a COL perspective, I would take this and run. People are way underrating Strome here -- his age, his production, and his contract -- and he would be a pretty perfect fit at 2c for them. Mantha and TVR aren't nothing pieces either, especially 50% retained. Mantha has been probably their 2nd best forward this year and playing the best hockey of his career. A great middle 6 rental winger for a team expecting to make a deep run that desperately needs that. TVR at 1.5m for 3 years too provides great depth on the blue line and he can play either side. Solves so many of their problems this year (and for the next 4 with Strome) and while Byram has the potential to be special he hasn't quite been so yet and also carries a ton of risk given he's maybe one bad hit away from having real health problems.
MW6 liked this.
Jan. 10 at 4:20 p.m.
Quoting: qc14
On the first deal: I think despite what Leafs fans may say all of the pieces going to them in that deal make sense and would be great adds. The price though is way too high and you don't really see big package deals like that often. Given they don't have many mid-level assets, I think they wouldn't be the best fit for guys like Lindgren and Dowd. Could definitely see them as a landing spot for Pacioretty 50% retained for like a 5th or similar.

On the second: that probably gets Zegras done but I would be VERY hesitant to do so. I just don't see him as a real driver and for that price I kind of expect it.

On the third: I really like the idea and its intriguing but I honestly think that the Caps pass on their current trajectory. If Ovi was retiring after this year or wasn't close to hitting the record and they were going for a full on rebuild I love it. They aren't though, and I honestly think that for what the org is trying to accomplish the next 2.5 years Strome is more important than Byram -- he really is the Ovi whisperer and has been legitimately great for this team on a very friendly deal. If Byram was a forward I would say do it, but they absolutely NEED someone to play with Ovi.

From a COL perspective, I would take this and run. People are way underrating Strome here -- his age, his production, and his contract -- and he would be a pretty perfect fit at 2c for them. Mantha and TVR aren't nothing pieces either, especially 50% retained. Mantha has been probably their 2nd best forward this year and playing the best hockey of his career. A great middle 6 rental winger for a team expecting to make a deep run that desperately needs that. TVR at 1.5m for 3 years too provides great depth on the blue line and he can play either side. Solves so many of their problems this year (and for the next 4 with Strome) and while Byram has the potential to be special he hasn't quite been so yet and also carries a ton of risk given he's maybe one bad hit away from having real health problems.

He's taken bad hits in the 2 years since a conky. Not punting on him for a guy who fits well with a slow team but wouldn't be ideal for the Avs.
TJTwolf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll