SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Trading Tavares - A Fair Return Package

Jul. 8, 2017 at 10:25 a.m.
We've hit a full week since Tavares could have signed a new contract with the New York Islanders, and he has not yet do so. Some of that may be because of the arena situation, might be because of the confusing management, might be because his team isn't good enough to win. But the Islanders must start exploring trading him, because a deadline trade for him would not get nearly enough value, and they cannot risk losing him for nothing. That being said, there's no one piece that is worth John Tavares. So what package could result in a completed trade, potentially as or more significant since the Joe Thornton trade so many years ago?
Jul. 8, 2017 at 10:50 a.m.
Habs fan French
Galchenyuk and Pacioretty
Jul. 8, 2017 at 11:07 a.m.
For a one year rental, not too much other than a decent prospect and a 2018 1st
Jul. 8, 2017 at 11:09 a.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni

Prospect and first...so your saying one month of Martin Hanzal is worth more than a year and potentially more of uh John Tavares?
Jul. 8, 2017 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: DavidBooth7
Quoting: phillyjabroni

Prospect and first...so your saying one month of Martin Hanzal is worth more than a year and potentially more of uh John Tavares?

Just because MIN overpaid for Hanzel, doesn;t mean that another team should for Tavares. Yes, the market price is now severely upped after that trade for Hanzel.

I was assuming this trade occurred at the TDL, not right now. If rn, its a lot more, since you get more than 20 games with Tavares
Jul. 8, 2017 at 5:52 p.m.
Tavares wants to see where the team will be playing whether its Bellmont, Nassau, some claim it could be MSG, otherwise he probably would have signed already. Islanders will trade Tavares for the same type of package they got for Vanek just to save a lot of trouble... Maybe it will be a deal like the Kings did getting Lucic or Seguin for Bruins smile. They could ship Tavares to Colorado for Duchesne and Barrie smile. Might have to include a few other players or prospects but off top of my head it would be my guess... In general I think last thing Islanders would want to do is trade him to any team in the East... Another idea might include Tavares to Winnipeg for Trouba along with some other players or prospects being in the mix or picks...
Jul. 8, 2017 at 6:05 p.m.
A full year of JT should be worth 3 major assets minimum....meaning 1st + young NHL talent + top prospect. It doesn't sound like JT wants to test the market just to do it. If the Islanders had their **** together they'd probably have JT re-signed already. I think at this juncture JT is looking for something long term. If I'm the NYI and I can't get him re-signed, he plays till the deadline and then I trade him. Hell I'd even let teams talk to him to work out an extension because that means larger return for me.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 6:06 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
If Garth Snow was smart JT would be signed already.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 6:13 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
If Garth Snow was smart JT would be signed already.

I don't like snow though its not his fault the arena situation is what it is... NHL moved Islanders to Brooklyn to try to block the KHL from playing games in Barclays center like they had scheduled... Much like the Islanders were made or put in Nassau to stop the rival hockey league back then like WHL or whatever it was called where Winnipeg came from among others like OIlers... They had the LA Sharks in that league if remember right which is kinda funny smile. Look Nassau Country is corrupt, NY state is filled with criminals who are in government especially the mayor and governor... They should have just rebuilt Nassau Coliseum for what people pay in taxes its really absurd to not have... They out of ignorance or spite built an arena in Brooklyn that only had sight lines for Basketball which is a major mistake. Jets got shafted having to play in Giant Stadium when they tried to build in NY so its not just hockey... I'd really like to see the team back where it belongs in Nassau, though they redid the place to have less seating I think for their AHL team to eventually play there... Yet the real Islanders fans wont visit the team in Brooklyn for awful sight lines along with it simply not being safe or easy to get to/back. You could drive to Nassau Coliseum, get home real quick, take your elderly mother to see a game or a young child in safety... It was a great environment to see a game, even if wearing Kings gear or another team except perhaps the Rangers nobody would bother you or try to start a fight smile. Unlike MSG if showed up there in Kings gear especially during SCF it might get real ugly there or on the train or so back smile.
phillyjabroni liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll