SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Jan. 22 at 4:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
How would you feel about a 2RD that costs 4.3? 33% ret

I don't hate it, I'm just nervous

Thats not really that bad if u think about how much a UFA of his caliber could cost in FA

Roy's next contract projections have him in Severson terriroty

Demelo 5m and Pesce may get 7m

4.3m really dont seem to bad
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 22 at 5:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/daniel_amoia/status/1749556355852021804

John Marino
Zach Whitecloud
Jan. 22 at 5:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
To me the whole solution with Brodie is what Pitt did with Dumolin. Lower him down to the third pair

Also funny stat

Leafs best PK was in NOV when the D-units were

McCabe-Brodie
Lagesson-Giordano

PK =82.5%

Since then for Dec-Jan its been

Gio-Brodie
Benoit-McCabe

PK = 75% in Dec, 70.8% Jan

Makes yah think lul

Not saying Lagesson's a game changer but the results when hes been out are seemingly hinting at something lul
Jan. 22 at 7:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 22 at 7:48 p.m.
The one thing I was contemplating and honestly now that I think about it would help both sides

Put Bertuzzi on PP unit 1

What has JT done to stay there this season. Not much besides faceoffs. I would love to see Bertuzzi being that netfront pest on unit 1.

As look at Bunting with the Canes doing that
Jan. 22 at 8:52 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
The one thing I was contemplating and honestly now that I think about it would help both sides

Put Bertuzzi on PP unit 1

What has JT done to stay there this season. Not much besides faceoffs. I would love to see Bertuzzi being that netfront pest on unit 1.

As look at Bunting with the Canes doing that

Honestly, that 2nd unit could use Willy, have a setup of:
Rielly
Matthews Marner

JT Bert

To try and get JT going
Jan. 22 at 9:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Honestly, that 2nd unit could use Willy, have a setup of:
Rielly
Matthews Marner

JT Bert

To try and get JT going

Put JT on unit 2 as hes not done his job as a net front. We dont need 2 net front guys on unit 1. Putting Bertuzzi on unit 1 wont help JT, more so will inhibit it as he and JT do their work in front of the net.

Thats why switching them probs for the best. As Bertuzzi would probs do a better job there tipping pucks and causing chaos
Jan. 22 at 10:30 p.m.
To me the whole solution with Brodie is what Pitt did with Dumolin. Lower him down to the third pair

Also funny stat

Leafs best PK was in NOV when the D-units were

McCabe-Brodie
Lagesson-Giordano

PK =82.5%

Since then for Dec-Jan its been

Gio-Brodie
Benoit-McCabe

PK = 75% in Dec, 70.8% Jan

Makes yah think lul

Not saying Lagesson's a game changer but the results when hes been out are seemingly hinting at something lul

Late Oct - Early Dec is also when Woll was the de facto #1 so he probably plays a role in those numbers...

but I don't discount having reliable 3rd pairing type guys that can log minutes on the PK...little bit fresher legs than the guys that log 20min + as the PK can be taxing on guys
palhal liked this.
Jan. 22 at 10:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
Late Oct - Early Dec is also when Woll was the de facto #1 so he probably plays a role in those numbers...

but I don't discount having reliable 3rd pairing type guys that can log minutes on the PK...little bit fresher legs than the guys that log 20min + as the PK can be taxing on guys

I need to check but I think the Dpairings for PK in OCT were the ones currently being used for Dec except insert Rielly over Benoit.

Not saying I 100% think its the case but I say take a crack at Lagesson again. If the PK numbers rise again before Woll's return could be an inficator
Jan. 22 at 10:35 p.m.
Put JT on unit 2 as hes not done his job as a net front. We dont need 2 net front guys on unit 1. Putting Bertuzzi on unit 1 wont help JT, more so will inhibit it as he and JT do their work in front of the net.

Thats why switching them probs for the best. As Bertuzzi would probs do a better job there tipping pucks and causing chaos

Aren't we around 7th in PP %? I wouldn't be quick to discount the value of winning the draw on special teams which is JT's specialty...although I could back him changing for Bert after the opposition dumps the puck for the first time...but for me...winning the faceoff moves the needle more than a straight up swap of JT for Bert
Jan. 22 at 10:42 p.m.
average joe
Do teams still use 7 Defense?

I wonder if that would lower the minutes for Gio, Brody, and Reilly. Freshening them up, and hopefully improving their play (and rest them for playoffs).

On forward, we don't really roll 4 lines as the big 4 get most of the ice time and various 3rd or 4th liners get a shift or two with the big boys. So it doesn't really mess up the lines since those lines (both 3rd and 4th) probably are only together for maybe 5 minutes a game anyways.
Jan. 22 at 10:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 22 at 11:02 p.m.
Aren't we around 7th in PP %? I wouldn't be quick to discount the value of winning the draw on special teams which is JT's specialty...although I could back him changing for Bert after the opposition dumps the puck for the first time...but for me...winning the faceoff moves the needle more than a straight up swap of JT for Bert

Yea but that was from early results we in a tough skid like that van game man 6 on 3 couldnt score

In general it never hurts to experiment and when watching Bertuzzi man he could be a force on unit 1
Jan. 22 at 10:56 p.m.
Quoting: Messier99
Do teams still use 7 Defense?

I wonder if that would lower the minutes for Gio, Brody, and Reilly. Freshening them up, and hopefully improving their play (and rest them for playoffs).

On forward, we don't really roll 4 lines as the big 4 get most of the ice time and various 3rd or 4th liners get a shift or two with the big boys. So it doesn't really mess up the lines since those lines (both 3rd and 4th) probably are only together for maybe 5 minutes a game anyways.

Still gets used but I don't think it's anyone's "Plan A".

But the leafs are going to have to figure out a roster move soon. Reaves isn't injured but is being stashed on the IR so they don't have to send anyone down.

I think they need to put him on waivers or move someone like McMann back to the Marlies as he may be thinking about filing a grievance with the P.A. soon
Jan. 22 at 11:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

But the leafs are going to have to figure out a roster move soon. Reaves isn't injured but is being stashed on the IR so they don't have to send anyone down.

I think they need to put him on waivers or move someone like McMann back to the Marlies as he may be thinking about filing a grievance with the P.A. soon

I feel its gonna be Lagesson which sucks as through his little tenure he wasnt that bad. Personally would try to move Timmins to create some space but idk if they want to do that either.

Its a wait and see I guess
Jan. 22 at 11:05 p.m.
average joe

I always thought the whole purpose to overpay and over-term Reaves was so he could easily be sent back and forth to the minor and nobody else would pick him up. Now I am thinking Leafs thought he would be a regular NHLer playing 10+ minutes per game.
Jan. 22 at 11:12 p.m.
Quoting: Messier99
I always thought the whole purpose to overpay and over-term Reaves was so he could easily be sent back and forth to the minor and nobody else would pick him up. Now I am thinking Leafs thought he would be a regular NHLer playing 10+ minutes per game.

oh I have it on very good authority that he expects to be in the lineup.
Jan. 22 at 11:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 23 at 1:31 a.m.
oh I have it on very good authority that he expects to be in the lineup.

Considering this teams somewhat changed in terms of attitude I feel hes a factor in them sometimes sticking up for eachother which is fine. But unlike the start he cant be an every day guy. In and out and use in certain matchups

But hey we got WPG let me have it lul

Never forgive em or forget em
Jan. 23 at 2:23 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Get ready people a new HC about to probs get on the fired list

Watch LAK and Todd McLellan as I think a divorce is gonna happen
Jan. 23 at 8:03 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

It worked last year with ROR... Why can't it work this year?
Jan. 23 at 8:34 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Get ready people a new HC about to probs get on the fired list

Watch LAK and Todd McLellan as I think a divorce is gonna happen

What a difference one game makes, in this case, the Kings losing to the Sharks in a shootout. Not even 24 hours ago, you thought Keefe would be fired before McLellan. However, after the Kings lost last night, saying a McLellan firing is imminent. To be clear, I’m not criticizing you, I’m just pointing out the massive difference in perception that one game can make.
Jan. 23 at 12:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
It worked last year with ROR... Why can't it work this year?

Ones a wing and ones a center. ROR could also play the corners when needed

Bertuzzi is more built to be net front like JVR on a PP

Look what he did in BOS
Jan. 23 at 1:39 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Ones a wing and ones a center. ROR could also play the corners when needed

Bertuzzi is more built to be net front like JVR on a PP

Look what he did in BOS

Ws and Cs don't matter on PP...

And that means we'd have 2 down low (or at least 1 down low at all times)

And BOS had 2 guys who could go down low on the PP, look what happened to Bert
Jan. 23 at 2:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Ws and Cs don't matter on PP...

And that means we'd have 2 down low (or at least 1 down low at all times)

And BOS had 2 guys who could go down low on the PP, look what happened to Bert

Technically they do

Centers are the ones mainly taking the faceoffs and are the guys u can put almost anywhere. Wings its a bit more selective depending on their speciality

Boston as soon as they got him made him the netfront guy and it worked perfectly for them. When he went behind Bergeron or Zacha would temporarily go there to cover his spot. With JT struggling and the PP sliding swapping him and Bert makes sense rn. As Matthews can win faceoffs
Jan. 23 at 2:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsForLife
What a difference one game makes, in this case, the Kings losing to the Sharks in a shootout. Not even 24 hours ago, you thought Keefe would be fired before McLellan. However, after the Kings lost last night, saying a McLellan firing is imminent. To be clear, I’m not criticizing you, I’m just pointing out the massive difference in perception that one game can make.

In general when u lose to the worst team in the NHL with the moves LA made something has to give.

Like lets be real if Toronto lost to SJS no question I think Keefe would have got fired.

When your team loses to the worst team in the NHL after all the buildup of being competitive owners or management tend to not like that lul
Jan. 23 at 2:45 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Technically they do

Centers are the ones mainly taking the faceoffs and are the guys u can put almost anywhere. Wings its a bit more selective depending on their speciality

Boston as soon as they got him made him the netfront guy and it worked perfectly for them. When he went behind Bergeron or Zacha would temporarily go there to cover his spot. With JT struggling and the PP sliding swapping him and Bert makes sense rn. As Matthews can win faceoffs

Yeah, but it allows you to run your PP through Matthews with Bert and JT picking up trash...

would rather have 2 centres on PP1; in case someone gets thrown out, especially bc JT there means auto win
Juice liked this.
Jan. 23 at 2:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Yeah, but it allows you to run your PP through Matthews with Bert and JT picking up trash...

would rather have 2 centres on PP1; in case someone gets thrown out, especially bc JT there means auto win

U dont need JT on unit 1 if you throw Bertuzzi there

Nylander-Bertuzzi-Marner
Rielly-Matthews

Marner fills in whenever Bertuzzi moves to behind the net. Bertuzzi there to tip Matthews, Rielly, or Nylander shots

Matthews thrown out the dot Willy can take em.

Unit 2

Knies-Tavares-Domi
Liligren-Robertson

Cause unit 2 has no need for Nylander when they got some weapons such as Robertson.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll