Published: Jan. 19, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Accurate/Prorated
LTIR Enabled: Yes
Season Days: 192
Days Remaining: 90
Season Remaining: 47%
Projected Cap Hit Prior To Days Remaining Tooltip : $97,194,896
Description
Assuming Michael isn't implicated in the hockey Canada thing obv.

Anyway the basic premise of the trade for each team is as follows:

Toronto: guys who can play now, but younger and under team control. Basically a soft sell.

Edmonton: high end winger at a low aav to help their top 6 in light of Kane being poo

Devils: getting a centre who has played 1C before to fill in while Hughes is out as well as taking a cheap flyer on a goalie who was very good as recently as last year (outdueling Vasilevski)

Specifics can of course be changed, small bits like picks or whatever but what is shown here is the main part of the moves.
Trades
TOR
  1. McLeod, Ryan
Additional Details:
Something like this anyway - this would be the main part of the deal
EDM
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler ($2,750,000 retained)
NJD
  1. Domi, Max ($1,500,000 retained)
  2. Samsonov, Ilya ($1,775,000 retained)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$80,931,450$0$0$2,568,550
Prorated Cap Hit

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$800,000$375,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$5,456,367
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$5,110,781
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,100,000$984,375
C
RFA - 2
$11,000,000$5,156,250
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$3,263,609
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$433,594
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$1,400,000$656,250
C
RFA - 1
$2,100,000$984,375
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$762,500$357,422
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$1,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$775,000$363,281
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$3,515,625
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$2,343,750
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$359,375
G
RFA - 2
$775,000$363,281
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$937,500
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$875,000$410,156
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$375,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$656,250
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$363,281
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$632,813
RW
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$2,636,719
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$515,625
RD
RFA - 2
$4,687,500$2,197,266
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$796,667$373,438
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$4,150,000$1,945,313
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 19 at 6:05 p.m.
Edited Jan. 19 at 6:12 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Faceoff % does not matter. That has been beyond proven.

And Domi is better than McLeod today. Which is what they need desperately.

The difference between 50% and 52% holds little value. But a guy who is LEADING the league in faceoff % would hold a lot of value. Even if it is only for the PK. Winning faceoffs on the PK is crazy important. It's definitely not the most valuable stat, but it does hold value. McLeod is amongst the best in the WORLD at it. That matters and it matters ALOT.

His faceoff percentage is so high that when you rank from best to worst on faceoff percentage on the TSN site, McLeod isn't there. Because they assume people with that high percentage have only taken 5 draws, so they get screened out. And no I am not making this up. He is at 66% in over 600 faceoffs. The best in the league when you rank them is 62.3%. So somewhere between those 2 numbers, TSN has a screen out mechanism (I assume it's at 65%).

All to say, McLeod is so good at faceoffs this year, that he broke TSN's website. If you think that holds ZERO value, then I don't know what else to say to you.

Try it yourself - https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/statistics
dgibb10 and SomeonesOffended liked this.
I Love J Boqvist
You arent finding a goalie with history as good as Sammy's at a price like this, or even a willing seller.
Domi makes your top 6 better today, and eventually will slot in as a high octane 3C to help you score goals once you get healthy

Actually it’s quite easy to obtain a goalie with Samsonov history. They seem to come available for free quite often.

Like when he was not given a QO by Washington

Or when he was placed on waivers

Or when he’ll hit UFA this year.

Domi does not make our top 6 better. He’s a downgrade from McLeod.
SomeonesOffended liked this.
You continue to have hilarious eval abilities. One of the funniest on this site

Just take the "L"

Its a brutal trade.
Jan. 19 at 6:06 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
He would be a significant downgrade on all sides of the puck than Mcleod.... and a UFA at end of year. Samsonov has been a hot mess. I want none of it.

Further, it adds to our cap...forcing us to carryover into 2024-25.

Add Knies AND your best pick.

Who are you arguing with? I was just arguing that Domi does not hold negative value, like you stated. I was not supporting this AGM or trade one bit. It clearly makes zero sense for NJD and I agree with you there.
Jan. 19 at 6:09 p.m.
Quoting: TMLBRIAN
Who are you arguing with? I was just arguing that Domi does not hold negative value, like you stated. I was not supporting this AGM or trade one bit. It clearly makes zero sense for NJD and I agree with you there.

Nothing at you, Brian...apologies if anything misdirected.
SomeonesOffended and TMLBRIAN liked this.
Jan. 19 at 6:10 p.m.
Nothing at you, Brian...apologies if anything misdirected.

<3
dgibb10 and SomeonesOffended liked this.
Jan. 19 at 6:11 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Both teams decline with zero hesitancy
Jan. 19 at 6:18 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: TMLBRIAN
The difference between 50% and 52% holds little value. But a guy who is LEADING the league in faceoff % would hold a lot of value. Even if it is only for the PK. Winning faceoffs on the PK is crazy important. It's definitely not the most valuable stat, but it does hold value. McLeod is amongst the best in the WORLD at it. That matters and it matters ALOT.

His faceoff percentage is so high that when you rank from best to worst on faceoff percentage on the TSN site, McLeod isn't there. Because they assume people with that high percentage have only taken 5 draws, so they get screened out. And no I am not making this up. He is at 66% in over 600 faceoffs. The best in the league when you rank them is 62.3%. So somewhere between those 2 numbers, TSN has a screen out mechanism (I assume it's at 65%).

All to say, McLeod is so good at faceoffs this year, that he broke TSN's website. If you think that holds ZERO value, then I don't know what else to say to you.

Try it yourself - https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/statistics

Faceoffs are the most overvalued stat. Dozens a game and about 2 of them matter.
It isnt something worth assigning any meaningful trade value to

Quoting: dgibb10
Actually it’s quite easy to obtain a goalie with Samsonov history. They seem to come available for free quite often.

Like when he was not given a QO by Washington

Or when he was placed on waivers

Or when he’ll hit UFA this year.

Domi does not make our top 6 better. He’s a downgrade from McLeod.

Sammy not getting a QO was a shock, and he didn't have the same history as he did now. We know he can be a starter in this league, that wasn't true 1.5 years ago.

Waivers at his absolute lowest point on a full value contract. A deadline deal after what should be some recovery at half cost is not the same at all

We're talking in season. Goalies don't move mid year very often. You'll be hard pressed to find a guy who could potentially help you to the extent Sammy could.

And you just straight up undervalue Domi vs your guy

Just take the "L"

Its a brutal trade.

There are certain posters on this website, who when they hate an idea almost always means it's a good idea.

You are one of them

Quoting: SomeonesOffended
Both teams decline with zero hesitancy

Heavily disagree on that- obviously
Jan. 19 at 6:20 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Faceoffs are the most overvalued stat. Dozens a game and about 2 of them matter.
It isnt something worth assigning any meaningful trade value to

Sammy not getting a QO was a shock, and he didn't have the same history as he did now. We know he can be a starter in this league, that wasn't true 1.5 years ago.

Waivers at his absolute lowest point on a full value contract. A deadline deal after what should be some recovery at half cost is not the same at all

We're talking in season. Goalies don't move mid year very often. You'll be hard pressed to find a guy who could potentially help you to the extent Sammy could.

There are certain posters on this website, who when they hate an idea almost always means it's a good idea.

You are one of them

Heavily disagree on that- obviously

The devils have a bounce back candidate on their roster in Vitek Vanacek.

Samsonov has been the worst goalie in hockey this year.

As bad as Vanacek has been, Samsonov has been MUCH worse.

If you retain 50% and throw in a pick to dump him we’ll take him.
Jan. 19 at 6:24 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
The devils have a bounce back candidate on their roster in Vitek Vanacek.

Samsonov has been the worst goalie in hockey this year.

As bad as Vanacek has been, Samsonov has been MUCH worse.

If you retain 50% and throw in a pick to dump him we’ll take him.

Yes Sammy is a bounceback candidate, that doesn't mean he would cost a pick at half cost, or even be negative value. That's because there isn't a large market of competitors and his upside is signifigant. 10 bad games vs an entire year and playoffs.

Moreover leafs have plenty of cap. We have no need to move that money. We are not under any pressure to do it so you won't have that affecting trade value
Jan. 19 at 6:27 p.m.

You are one of them

So if I post a trade that a leafs fan hates...then its a good idea?

Samsonov has negative value. We don't want him at any price.
Domi probably does not have negative value at $1.5m (he would at $3.0m)...but he is UFA.

McLeod is a significantly better overall player making less money and is RFA.
Jan. 19 at 6:32 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Yes Sammy is a bounceback candidate, that doesn't mean he would cost a pick at half cost, or even be negative value. That's because there isn't a large market of competitors and his upside is signifigant. 10 bad games vs an entire year and playoffs.

Moreover leafs have plenty of cap. We have no need to move that money. We are not under any pressure to do it so you won't have that affecting trade value

The devils have no interest in taking that risk. There is no point where I’d be willing to stick Samsonov on the ice in the tight metro and see if he’s maybe stopped being garbage.

There isn’t a team that would be interested.

You’d be looking for a team:

Basically guaranteed to make the playoffs, needs a goalie, has cap space and no other needs.

Edmonton is still far too much in the thick of the playoff race to be sending Samsonov out there, and have no cap space.

LAK also again can’t risk sending Samsonov out there.

Same with NJD, Car

Florida has 2 goalies playing well and a 3rd stud in the AHL, Boston has 2 studs, NYR has Igor and Quick playing well, and won’t waste cap space on Samsonov. Vancouver has their goalies, as does Winnipeg and VGK

Colorado maybe you can try and sell to, but they probably just use their cap on a center or Valeri replacement

Dallas maybe, but again would much rather use their cap somewhere else.

And any team out of the playoff hunt has no interest. Not worth the money when you can barely even flip him even if he starts to click because he only has 1 year left
Jan. 19 at 6:36 p.m.
GAR

McLeod: 10.4
Domi: 2.5
Samsonov -11.3

So Leafs would have to make up a 19.2 shortfall.....And pay for Mcleods remaining RFA years

Use any metric one would like (Athletic player values. GF% or xGF%. Just straight eyeball test) and Leafs are woefully short here.
Jan. 19 at 6:38 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
The devils have no interest in taking that risk. There is no point where I’d be willing to stick Samsonov on the ice in the tight metro and see if he’s maybe stopped being garbage.

There isn’t a team that would be interested.

You’d be looking for a team:

Basically guaranteed to make the playoffs, needs a goalie, has cap space and no other needs.

Edmonton is still far too much in the thick of the playoff race to be sending Samsonov out there, and have no cap space.

LAK also again can’t risk sending Samsonov out there.

Same with NJD, Car

Florida has 2 goalies playing well and a 3rd stud in the AHL, Boston has 2 studs, NYR has Igor and Quick playing well, and won’t waste cap space on Samsonov. Vancouver has their goalies, as does Winnipeg and VGK

Colorado maybe you can try and sell to, but they probably just use their cap on a center or Valeri replacement

Dallas maybe, but again would much rather use their cap somewhere else.

And any team out of the playoff hunt has no interest. Not worth the money when you can barely even flip him even if he starts to click because he only has 1 year left

Hmm, a bunch of suitors with a small amount of real options. The whole "Sammy is negative value" thing really doesn't make sense.

I can sympathize with you not wanting to play him based on the hope he rebounds. I don't even disagree, but if it comes down to a continuation of what you have (which is NOT working at all), or changing something in the hopes it gets better - I'd rather do that latter, personally
Jan. 19 at 6:54 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Hmm, a bunch of suitors with a small amount of real options. The whole "Sammy is negative value" thing really doesn't make sense.

I can sympathize with you not wanting to play him based on the hope he rebounds. I don't even disagree, but if it comes down to a continuation of what you have (which is NOT working at all), or changing something in the hopes it gets better - I'd rather do that latter, personally

There are 0 suitors for Samsonov.
Jan. 19 at 6:55 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
There are 0 suitors for Samsonov.

Guy lists a ton of suitors
"There are no suitors"
Jan. 19 at 7:03 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Guy lists a ton of suitors
"There are no suitors"

I list a bunch of teams with no interest and explained why they'd have no interest? did you not read it.

Any team out of the playoffs: no interest (even if he bounces back he can't be flipped due to lack of term): that eliminates
Any team on the verge of the playoffs/in a wildcard spot: No interest as they cannot risk giving samsonov starts and him tanking their season

That eliminates everyone but the 12 teams in a division spot right now:

1st let's eliminate any team with quality goaltending: Boston, Florida, NYR, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Vegas, Dallas, Philly

Now let's eliminate any team without cap space: Edmonton

Carolina does not have nearly enough of a cushion to risk giving Samsonov starts.

That leaves 1 suitor that would even be a maybe.

Colorado
they have 2 better goalies right now and much bigger needs to fill.

At best if you gave him away 50% retained maybe you could get a bite
Jan. 19 at 7:04 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
At best if you gave him away 50% retained maybe you could get a bite

Sounds like suitors to me - given that is exactly what I'm offering
Jan. 19 at 7:05 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Sounds like suitors to me - given that is exactly what I'm offering

Well go start asking other teams bc NJD has no interest at all.

3 other goalies we'd rather give starts to
Jan. 19 at 7:06 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Well go start asking other teams bc NJD has no interest at all.

3 other goalies we'd rather give starts to

see now we're just going in circles
Jan. 19 at 8:48 p.m.
Oilers will move McLeod to the wing or will try holloway there. they are not giving up a 24 year old homegrown center on pace for almost 20 goals and 40 pts under contract for 2 more years at 2 million for a rental.
Jan. 19 at 9:01 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: betterthanholland
Oilers will move McLeod to the wing or will try holloway there. they are not giving up a 24 year old homegrown center on pace for almost 20 goals and 40 pts under contract for 2 more years at 2 million for a rental.

I get why you like him (Its why I like him to) but I could totally see Kenny doing something like this. Bert is out producing even in a "down" year, comes with that big name value - plays the right way and can help round out your top 6. If you think this is your year - why not (especially if they think they can sign him)
Jan. 19 at 9:48 p.m.
Lmao I always love when guys don't have arguments other than homerism for not liking trades.

RFAs get traded for UFAs all the time when the slot is needed. That simply isn't an issue.

And let's not eval with points yeah? Especially not with your guy being in the top 6 while Toronto is so deep Domi is only getting 10-12 mins a night

In terms of Sammy, find me a goalie with his recent record, for this cheap (acq and aav) that a team is willing to sell. There isn't one.

You continue to have hilarious eval abilities. One of the funniest on this site

Ive given you nothing but arguments, you apparently are not getting it.
Homerism? Your own fanbase say this trade values blows.
McLeod is a top 6 because he has to be, not because of who he is!
Sammy's value (cheap) makes it good, are you drunk? The only G worse than Vitek right now (tuff to do btw) is Sammy. "You won't find better value? " wow that's bad!
You're not very good at this!
Jan. 19 at 9:55 p.m.
A team with no goalie taking a cheap bet in a market where Goalies almost never get traded on a guy who has had like 10 bad games after being great the last year, giving him a fresh start definitely fills a need

And Domi has been a 1c (on a bad team). They need a guy who can play up the lineup. They're having trouble even making the playoffs right now and having a bottom 6 C in a top 6 is a great way to make sure you miss

Sammy sucks more! Omg the guy was waived! Our guy should be too, but similarly won't be claimed, why, they suck! Keep Domi in the 1C spot, we don't want him. McLeod is playing up as you noted above and having the best year of his career. You repmy us trade him to an Eastern team. Yeah duh!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll