Forums/Armchair-GM

Just Go For It

Created by: deke9397
Team: 2023-24 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 30, 2024
Published: Jan. 30, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The 520K in cap space helps with some of the bonuses for next season.
Trades
EDM
  1. Toffoli, Tyler ($1,500,000 retained)
NJD
  1. Kulak, Brett
  2. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
  3. 2025 4th round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Dowd, Nic
  2. Edmundson, Joel ($875,000 retained)
WSH
  1. Campbell, Jack ($2,150,000 retained)
  2. Niemeläinen, Markus
  3. Pederson, Lane
  4. 2025 1st round pick (EDM)
  5. 2025 3rd round pick (EDM)
DAL
  1. Janmark, Mattias
  2. 2025 7th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$79,980,000$850,000$5,050,000$3,520,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$625,000$625,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$650,000$650K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
C
RFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$3,225,000$3M)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$325,000$325K)
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
G
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RD
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$0$0
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 30 at 7:57 p.m.
Seems fair on Toffoli…not sure how Kulak has looked though.

Would Oilers do Toffoli at $2m for Broberg?
Jan. 30 at 8:20 p.m.
Overpay for a Toffoli rental.

And there’s no way Kulak goes with the playoffs looming. He’s a beast in the playoffs.

Something like a 2nd and 3rd for him would he okay. Devils traded Shargovic + 3rd for him just last year, and Yegor was a B prospect at the time. And the Devils got two years of Toffoli as opposed to the Oilers getting 3 months of Toffoli.
CD282 liked this.
Jan. 30 at 9:07 p.m.
Spence
Quoting: SwarmChair

And there’s no way Kulak goes with the playoffs looming. He’s a beast in the playoffs.

Something like a 2nd and 3rd for him would he okay. Devils traded Shargovic + 3rd for him just last year, and Yegor was a B prospect at the time. And the Devils got two years of Toffoli as opposed to the Oilers getting 3 months of Toffoli.

He wasn’t a B level prospect at the time he had a 24 goal season in his sophomore year.. this is his 4th season. I think for where Toffoli’s production is at now, asking for the retention while NJ is competing for a playoff spot, you’re having to add a 1st for sure. Maybe not a fourth, maybe a 5th but this is a close trade. Kulak helps NJ a lot at a good price with term left.
Jan. 30 at 9:09 p.m.
Spence
Quoting: NHLfan10506

We’ve gotta send money out to make it worth. I want to trade Kulak for a forward. I think Broberg can fill his spot.
Jan. 30 at 9:27 p.m.

Sharangovich was hardly a B prospect. He was probably lesser known outside of NJ, but we were pretty high on him.

He went home to Belarus during COVID and learned how to skate. Hard to believe now, but it was once a weakness. Then scored 33 goals between KHL/NHL in 2020-21…then 24 in NHL in 2021-22. Has one of the best wrist shots in the league. While a Devil, he was one of the best penalty killers we had had in years (probably best since Blake Coleman left). And can play center or wing.

I didn’t like the Toffoli trade at time as I thought Sharangovich would be our long-term 3C.

All that said, I don’t think Toffoli would break the bank. Broberg would be my ask. But if he gets dealt, it will probably be something like young roster player plus 2nd. Late 1st if we can get it.
SwarmChair liked this.
Jan. 30 at 9:30 p.m.
Quoting: deke9397
We’ve gotta send money out to make it worth. I want to trade Kulak for a forward. I think Broberg can fill his spot.

We have cap space…we could probably take salary to make work…if there was a trade that helped both sides.

If we ate $2.125m on Toffoli and Oiler rostered 22 until playoffs, maybe it fits.
Jan. 30 at 11:02 p.m.
Sharangovich was hardly a B prospect. He was probably lesser known outside of NJ, but we were pretty high on him.

He went home to Belarus during COVID and learned how to skate. Hard to believe now, but it was once a weakness. Then scored 33 goals between KHL/NHL in 2020-21…then 24 in NHL in 2021-22. Has one of the best wrist shots in the league. While a Devil, he was one of the best penalty killers we had had in years (probably best since Blake Coleman left). And can play center or wing.

I didn’t like the Toffoli trade at time as I thought Sharangovich would be our long-term 3C.

All that said, I don’t think Toffoli would break the bank. Broberg would be my ask. But if he gets dealt, it will probably be something like young roster player plus 2nd. Late 1st if we can get it.

Fair points on Yegor. And appreciate the perspective.

That said, someone like Broberg who will be a long time top 4D with cost control, so it would be too pricey still. You have to keep in mind you guys traded for 2 year of Toffoli with the benefit of being able to unload him for more assets at the TDL. I didn’t think the Oilers do a 1st or A prospect for him. Im still at about a 2nd + something for him in my evaluation.
Jan. 30 at 11:23 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Fair points on Yegor. And appreciate the perspective.

That said, someone like Broberg who will be a long time top 4D with cost control, so it would be too pricey still. You have to keep in mind you guys traded for 2 year of Toffoli with the benefit of being able to unload him for more assets at the TDL. I didn’t think the Oilers do a 1st or A prospect for him. Im still at about a 2nd + something for him in my evaluation.

We traded toffoli for 1 year as a rental. He is now being traded as still a rental.
Jan. 31 at 2:25 a.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
We traded toffoli for 1 year as a rental. He is now being traded as still a rental.

You got him for a playoffs run and year then. So for just a playoffs run his cost should be less.
CD282 liked this.
Jan. 31 at 2:46 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
You got him for a playoffs run and year then. So for just a playoffs run his cost should be less.

You’d think that but it is generally the opposite.

Prices are cheaper in the offseason when teams are trying to create space to sign free agents, and there are a bunch more players on the market because of free agency.

Options are much more limited at the deadline, and additionally the real money cost is much less (4.2 mill in salary for NJD to get toffoli for 1 playoff run, whereas for a deadline deal it would cost Edmonton just about 700k or so)

Deadline rentals tend to have limited ceilings, but much higher floors in terms of trade value

I’d argue that Yegor was valued as a 1st by Calgary but that’s besides the point.

Bertuzzi got a 1st last deadline, so did Tarasenko (he got a 1st+) as rentals.

Neither of them were on pace for 37 goals like toffoli is.
Jan. 31 at 2:58 a.m.
You’d think that but it is generally the opposite.

Prices are cheaper in the offseason when teams are trying to create space to sign free agents, and there are a bunch more players on the market because of free agency.

Options are much more limited at the deadline, and additionally the real money cost is much less (4.2 mill in salary for NJD to get toffoli for 1 playoff run, whereas for a deadline deal it would cost Edmonton just about 700k or so)

Deadline rentals tend to have limited ceilings, but much higher floors in terms of trade value

I’d argue that Yegor was valued as a 1st by Calgary but that’s besides the point.

Bertuzzi got a 1st last deadline, so did Tarasenko (he got a 1st+) as rentals.

Neither of them were on pace for 37 goals like toffoli is.

Kane went for a 2nd + 4th tho. But to your point about Tarasenko, the fact that he’s on the market for 1st is why I wouldn’t want the Oilers to pay 1st for Toffoli. Tank with his Cup pedigree and ability to produce in playoffs would be worth that. I’d value Toffoli lower. If Eberle hits the market I’d value him lower too.
Jan. 31 at 2:59 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist

I think you’re far too low on Toffoli’s value. I struggle to find a comp for toffoli not returning a 1st.

37 goal, 60 point pace
Overall in the last 2 years 35 goal 68 point pace
Stanley cup winner, nearly 90 games of playoff experience.
Very good analytics.

Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see a comp for him returning less than a 1st
Jan. 31 at 3:07 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Kane went for a 2nd + 4th tho. But to your point about Tarasenko, the fact that he’s on the market for 1st is why I wouldn’t want the Oilers to pay 1st for Toffoli. Tank with his Cup pedigree and ability to produce in playoffs would be worth that. I’d value Toffoli lower. If Eberle hits the market I’d value him lower too.

Kane had a full NMC and would only waive for NYR. With 1 potential bidder the return got tanked. It was a very big story last year. Would Tarasenko even waive for Edmonton? Who knows. Only the jets are on more players NTCs than Edmonton

Toffoli has no such trade protections, and we can sell him anywhere we like, or keep him as our own rental.

Don’t know if you missed this but Toffoli has a cup and was instrumental in getting Montreal to the finals a few years ago. And now since then he’s put/putting up the 2 best seasons of his career.

He’s on the market because the Devils season has been decimated by injuries and Holtz deserves an opportunity in the top 6.
Jan. 31 at 3:14 a.m.
Kane had a full NMC and would only waive for NYR. With 1 potential bidder the return got tanked. It was a very big story last year. Would Tarasenko even waive for Edmonton? Who knows.

Toffoli has no such trade protections, and we can sell him anywhere we like, or keep him as our own rental.

Don’t know if you missed this but Toffoli has a cup and was instrumental in getting Montreal to the finals a few years ago. And now since then he’s put/putting up the 2 best seasons of his career.

He’s on the market because the Devils season has been decimated by injuries and Holtz deserves an opportunity in the top 6.

Good point on Kane.

Well Tank chose to play in Ottawa so being in Canada isn’t an issue. And Tank cares about earnings still, if the offseason showed us anything. He took the highest offer. So if he goes to Oilers, he can raise his value playing next to McD and cash out with another deal in the offseason. Wouldn’t be the worst plan for Tank.

Ahh I forgot Toffoli when he was young was part of this kings cup runs. That can’t be discounted. You just raised his value in my eyes. Why do you want Kulak back though? We want him for the playoffs, where he plays his best.
Jan. 31 at 3:18 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Good point on Kane.

Well Tank chose to play in Ottawa so being in Canada isn’t an issue. And Tank cares about earnings still, if the offseason showed us anything. He took the highest offer. So if he goes to Oilers, he can raise his value playing next to McD and cash out with another deal in the offseason. Wouldn’t be the worst plan for Tank.

Ahh I forgot Toffoli when he was young was part of this kings cup runs. That can’t be discounted. You just raised his value in my eyes. Why do you want Kulak back though? We want him for the playoffs, where he plays his best.

I wouldn’t want Kulak back. I’d rather just take a 3rd instead. I imagine it was put in to clear cap space for Edmonton

My approximate ask on toffoli has always been 1st unretained or 1st+3rd retained, or equivalent value in my eyes, whatever that looks like. You can spend the 5th on another 1 mill in retention on toffoli to make him fit.

If Tarasenko forces his way to a particular destination like Kane did it’s going to be a steal for whatever team that gets him. I just suspect it probably wouldn’t be Edmonton.
Jan. 31 at 3:23 a.m.
I wouldn’t want Kulak back. I’d rather just take a 3rd instead. I imagine it was put in to clear cap space for Edmonton

My approximate ask on toffoli has always been 1st unretained or 1st+3rd retained, or equivalent value in my eyes, whatever that looks like. You can spend the 5th on another 1 mill in retention on toffoli to make him fit.

If Tarasenko forces his way to a particular destination like Kane did it’s going to be a steal for whatever team that gets him. I just suspect it probably wouldn’t be Edmonton.

Considerable deal on Toffoli then. Sorry I thought you were OP. I’m against moving Kulak at all. He’s part of the solution.

I wonder what Tank wants though. He went to NYR but it wasn’t exactly a success. Then he went to Ottawa for a rebuild situation but one where he’s gets paid. My guess is that he wants whatever situation gets him paid, ie. where he thinks he will be able to produce the most. That’s my only clue, unless like Panarin has some super best friends mind control on him.
dgibb10 liked this.
Jan. 31 at 10:24 a.m.
Dallas makes that trade why??
Jan. 31 at 10:47 a.m.
Edmonton definitely declines the NJD and DAL trades. Regarding the Washington trade, why would Edmonton retain $2+M on Campbell when his buyout cap hit is much less?
SwarmChair liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll