Forums/Armchair-GM

According To Rumours

Created by: RyanMclovin
Team: 2023-24 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 9, 2024
Published: Feb. 9, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This Cap friendly I will be taking a look at some of the newest statements from insiders/reporters and how they could look in shaping up the Edmonton Oilers, but with my own person thoughts.
Trades
EDM
  1. Tarasenko, Vladimir ($2,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
“Dawrren Dreger has connected Vladimir Tarasenko to the Edmonton Oilers.” With Tarasenko likely getting dealt this deadline and Edmonton in need of a top 6 wing (preferably RW) we look at calling up Ottawa. I’ve seen many Ottawa fans on instagram, twitter, and cap friendly valuing him at a first round pick and he’s having a good enough season we can justify spending that for him with retention. The other pieces are just to help with cap and etc.
OTT
  1. Janmark, Mattias
  2. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
  3. 2025 5th round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Laughton, Scott
  2. Walker, Sean ($1,325,000 retained)
Additional Details:
“The Edmonton Oilers & Philadelphia Flyers have engaged on trade talks surrounding Scott Laughton & Sean Walker. Per, The Fourth Period.” Now I know this is a HUGE swing but hey a man can dream. Oilers are giving up Evander Kane who is a skilled forward but admittedly streaky. We’re also giving up a project prospect but I believe he still has nhl upside to be a solid second pair guy, and on top of this all Philly revives a third round pick. This may seem like a lot to pay upfront to Oilers fans but I guarantee you’re getting two quality players back in Laughton and Walker these players will help with the overall depth of the roster and allow us a lot of cap flexibility for a final trade.
PHI
  1. Broberg, Philip
  2. Kane, Evander
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Blackwood, Mackenzie
  2. Duclair, Anthony
Additional Details:
“The Edmonton Oilers have been linked to Anthony Duclair per David Pagnotta” So here it is the big Jack Campbell trade that can hopefully get done this deadline. Even having to retain a million we would still be saving a considerable amount. There are a lot of moving pieces in this trade starting with 2 picks, one prospect, a serviceable nhl player, and a cap dump, the sharks receive a huge haul of of future assets aswell as some players to fill out their roster because although they’re tanking it will be nice to have guys to fill some spots after selling at the deadline.
SJS
  1. Bourgault, Xavier
  2. Campbell, Jack ($1,000,000 retained)
  3. Ceci, Cody
  4. 2025 1st round pick (EDM)
  5. 2025 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
    *Last trade is a random team don’t read into it*
    This is just to sumarize the cap friendly as a whole I know it is unrealistic for this many pieces to be moved at the deadline but I just wanted to look over some rumored talks and see how they’d look on paper. Feel free to tell me if you think trades are over or under pays or if you think the roster should be shifted in anyway. Assuming this all were to happen I think the oilers would have a very strong shot at the cup with just how deep this roster is.
    ANA
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,500,000$79,329,167$850,000$4,200,000$4,170,833
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Ottawa Senators
    $0$0
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$650,000$650K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    C
    RFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$325,000$325K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 3
    $900,000$900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $1,325,000$1,325,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $2,350,000$2,350,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$3,225,000$3M)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 9 at 5:34 a.m.
    I'm not saying it's impossible that the OTT trade ends up looking something like that but, given Janmark's role in the PK turnaround, I don't imagine he'd be involved. Further, I think I'd only be comfortable with the 1st going out if it was either conditional or if you switched the outgoing pick to an incoming pick in the same range (so Tank and a 5th for '24 1st).
    Feb. 9 at 5:36 a.m.
    A few things: I think this team still needs a 4th line center, hasn’t Laughton played center before? Ryan is not an everyday center. You also have to hope Walker is an upgrade over ceci in this scenario. All in all, I would not want to go after Tarasenko, the acquisition of Duclair would render that unnecessary anyways. If you were going to trade those assets, wouldn’t you do it for Toffoli?
    Feb. 9 at 5:39 a.m.
    Kane trade is a non starter for Flyers. They are looking for first round picks or prospects, Only way I see them taking Kane is if they have a deal in place to flip him immediately afterwards.
    Roperttos liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 7:23 a.m.
    Depending on what Philly wants for the package, the Canes could take both Broberg and Kane and give up picks and prospects to make the deal work
    Feb. 9 at 7:29 a.m.
    Hurricane Waddell
    Canes at roster limit so every player in is a player out, and oilers are looking to upgrade now, not picks and prospects. Don’t see oilers and canes as trade partners.

Quoting: ecupirate07
    Depending on what Philly wants for the package, the Canes could take both Broberg and Kane and give up picks and prospects to make the deal work
    Feb. 9 at 7:33 a.m.
    Philly isn't interested in Kane and why would Kane want to waive to Philly.
    Feb. 9 at 7:56 a.m.
    Quoting: Caniac555
    Canes at roster limit so every player in is a player out, and oilers are looking to upgrade now, not picks and prospects. Don’t see oilers and canes as trade partners.

at midnight of the start of the TD, there isn’t a roster limit anymore

Sure Philly would be sandwiched in this case to make it happen
    Feb. 9 at 8:07 a.m.
    TkachukNorris79
    I would prefer to sign him to a 3 year deal, but if we have to move him I would do it for a 1st + a decent prospect. And I could see it being Edmonton with Staios' ties to the org and specifically Holland (I'm sure he knows Jackson as well).

Tarasenko would be a fantastic add to the Oilers 2nd line. He's still a 60ish point guy and probably goes up to a 70ish point guy with Draisaitl but he's been so much better defensively than I ever could have expected. I think as a rental for a late 1st, he's a steal.
    Feb. 9 at 8:14 a.m.
    sharcuda22
    I feel like this is a bad trade for the sharks. I think Blackwood and duclair hold a value of a 2nd combined together and that trade doesnt really even hold the value to dump Cecil and Campbell. and i think we need to move defenders before taking them back because we already have the worst log jam in the league.
    Feb. 9 at 8:31 a.m.
    You spending a lot of assets just to not improve the team. Offensively your roster is better than the current one, but the defense and goaltending are worse.

The only trade idea I can support here is the first one, but even then we already know that Holland won't spend a 1st on a rental, it'll be the "2nd+prospect" equivalent. And then the 5th will go to a third team to retain another 50%.
    Feb. 9 at 8:52 a.m.
    Hurricane Waddell
    That is after the TDL, which is at mid day that day. You must have a compliant roster to complete this trade prior. Who goes on waivers? It’s just not a likely scenario considering the two teams are looking to do similar things.

at midnight of the start of the TD, there isn’t a roster limit anymore

Sure Philly would be sandwiched in this case to make it happen
    Feb. 9 at 9:11 a.m.
    That is after the TDL, which is at mid day that day. You must have a compliant roster to complete this trade prior. Who goes on waivers? It’s just not a likely scenario considering the two teams are looking to do similar things.

No matter the time constraints, canes have an easy time getting compliant:

1. Raanta on IR if hurt (when is he not)
    2. If raanta is healthy, Kooch is waiver exempt
    3. Jarvis is waivers exempt
    4. TDA can easily go on waivers. The likelihood that someone claims him but not being able to trade him is low.

Canes don’t have a game on the 8th so moves are not consequential
    Feb. 9 at 9:38 a.m.
    Hurricane Waddell
    All good points, but I still don’t see the Oilers and Canes as trade fits. Why would the oilers trade the Canes these players if the return is only futures?

No matter the time constraints, canes have an easy time getting compliant:

1. Raanta on IR if hurt (when is he not)
    2. If raanta is healthy, Kooch is waiver exempt
    3. Jarvis is waivers exempt
    4. TDA can easily go on waivers. The likelihood that someone claims him but not being able to trade him is low.

Canes don’t have a game on the 8th so moves are not consequential
    Feb. 9 at 9:55 a.m.
    All good points, but I still don’t see the Oilers and Canes as trade fits. Why would the oilers trade the Canes these players if the return is only futures?

I think you’re missing the part where Carolina would insert itself in the Philly trade. Philly wants prospects and picks.

Canes get Broberg and Kane
    Philly gets Edmonton’s 2nd plus prospect and another pick from us (presumably a first)
    Edmonton gets laughton and walker
    Feb. 9 at 10:04 a.m.
    Hurricane Waddell
    I think it’s foolish to think the canes would trade for a forward with term. The only place on their roster where they’d take a player with term is on Defense.

Unless you think they are moving a forward with term in the offseason, or offloading a RFA like Jarvis or Necas.

At 87.7m next year, someone is getting squeezed out even without bringing in more money on the books for next year.

I think you’re missing the part where Carolina would insert itself in the Philly trade. Philly wants prospects and picks.

Canes get Broberg and Kane
    Philly gets Edmonton’s 2nd plus prospect and another pick from us (presumably a first)
    Edmonton gets laughton and walker
    Feb. 9 at 10:32 a.m.
    Yea zero chance Philly does this, the team is in a rebuild. We are looking for picks and prospects. The rumors that you bring up also mention that the Flyers are holding out for 1st round value each for Walker and Laughton. I'd be very surprised if they trade both Laughton and Walker and there isn't a 2024 1st as a part of the deal.
    Feb. 9 at 10:54 a.m.
    Pro
    Quoting: BleedOrange23
    Yea zero chance Philly does this, the team is in a rebuild. We are looking for picks and prospects. The rumors that you bring up also mention that the Flyers are holding out for 1st round value each for Walker and Laughton. I'd be very surprised if they trade both Laughton and Walker and there isn't a 2024 1st as a part of the deal.

That is why Philly is receiving a second, pretty good prospect, and a good offensive player to either keep and deal with in the offseason or flip during the deadline.
    Feb. 9 at 10:58 a.m.
    Pro
    Quoting: CD282
    You spending a lot of assets just to not improve the team. Offensively your roster is better than the current one, but the defense and goaltending are worse.

The only trade idea I can support here is the first one, but even then we already know that Holland won't spend a 1st on a rental, it'll be the "2nd+prospect" equivalent. And then the 5th will go to a third team to retain another 50%.

2 things. 1 Please read the last comment as I addressed the likelyhood of this many moves already. 2 if you think the goaltending gets worse in this scenario you don’t know puck. The only changes are Ceci -> Walker who has been have a good underlying season while Ceci has been an anchor for our top pair, and the other being Pickard -> Blackwood the only reason I can see why you’d think Pickard is better is his current save percentage but you have to remember he’s playing on a team that just won their last 16 in a sheltered roll, most tenders would have good looking stats in this scenario.
    Feb. 9 at 11:13 a.m.
    Pro
    Quoting: FullSend
    A few things: I think this team still needs a 4th line center, hasn’t Laughton played center before? Ryan is not an everyday center. You also have to hope Walker is an upgrade over ceci in this scenario. All in all, I would not want to go after Tarasenko, the acquisition of Duclair would render that unnecessary anyways. If you were going to trade those assets, wouldn’t you do it for Toffoli?

More so looking at all rumours and what could look likely (to an extent). I did go into the armchair and swap Laughton to centre and Ryan on the wing and can agree looks much better.
    Feb. 9 at 11:14 a.m.
    Pro
    Quoting: SupremeBone
    I'm not saying it's impossible that the OTT trade ends up looking something like that but, given Janmark's role in the PK turnaround, I don't imagine he'd be involved. Further, I think I'd only be comfortable with the 1st going out if it was either conditional or if you switched the outgoing pick to an incoming pick in the same range (so Tank and a 5th for '24 1st).

I can agree Janmark is nice for the PK but with the amount of talent this team has and could potentially add upfront makes me think we’d be fine moving on from janmark.
    Feb. 9 at 1:15 p.m.
    Quoting: RyanMclovin
    2 things. 1 Please read the last comment as I addressed the likelyhood of this many moves already. 2 if you think the goaltending gets worse in this scenario you don’t know puck. The only changes are Ceci -> Walker who has been have a good underlying season while Ceci has been an anchor for our top pair, and the other being Pickard -> Blackwood the only reason I can see why you’d think Pickard is better is his current save percentage but you have to remember he’s playing on a team that just won their last 16 in a sheltered roll, most tenders would have good looking stats in this scenario.

Do you know how save percentage works? Goalies on team that limit shots DON'T have an advantage.

And Blackwood has been bad for several seasons, and he's more money than Pickard. It's such a silly move.

Walker has great underlying numbers, but Ceci plays harder minutes, he has more D zone faceoffs and far fewer OTF shifts. Also Walker is undersized (not a Holland type) with no history of playoff success. He's a 3rd pairing guy having a good season.
    Feb. 10 at 5:10 a.m.
    Pro
    Quoting: CD282
    Do you know how save percentage works? Goalies on team that limit shots DON'T have an advantage.

And Blackwood has been bad for several seasons, and he's more money than Pickard. It's such a silly move.

Walker has great underlying numbers, but Ceci plays harder minutes, he has more D zone faceoffs and far fewer OTF shifts. Also Walker is undersized (not a Holland type) with no history of playoff success. He's a 3rd pairing guy having a good season.

Tired narrative Ceci only plays the 4th most against other teams top 6. Walker could easily fill that role. Blackwood is considerably better against Pickard and is younger with term. He is capable of being a solid backup on a contender especially this team right now.
    Feb. 10 at 5:22 p.m.
    Quoting: RyanMclovin
    Tired narrative Ceci only plays the 4th most against other teams top 6. Walker could easily fill that role. Blackwood is considerably better against Pickard and is younger with term. He is capable of being a solid backup on a contender especially this team right now.

Blackwood is significantly worse than Pickard. That's a fact.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll