SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Would the Rangers pay and would the Coyotes accept yea or nay

Created by: Augustus
Published: Feb. 11 at 12:06 a.m.
Salary Cap: $83,500,000
Season Days: 68/192 (35%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the Arizona CoyotesArizona Coyotes

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Schmaltz, NickArizona CoyotesNHL-$2,071,875011---46131730--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Kakko, KaapoNew York RangersNHL-$743,750011---31527--
Robertson, MatthewWaivers ExemptNew York RangersMinor-$0011---0000--
2024 1st round pick (Logo of the New York RangersNYR)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$3,228,52023487931714
Change$1,328,125011100
Final$4,556,645 (↑)2349 (↑)80 (↑)4 (↑)1714-8-15-23

Logo of the New York RangersNew York Rangers

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Kakko, KaapoNew York RangersNHL-$2,100,000011---31527--
Robertson, MatthewWaivers ExemptNew York RangersMinor-$0011---0000--
2024 1st round pick (Logo of the New York RangersNYR)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Schmaltz, NickArizona CoyotesNHL-$5,850,000011---46131730--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$4,470,8332245633213
Change-$3,750,0000-1-1-100
Final$720,833 (↓)2244 (↓)62 (↓)2 (↓)21381523
Feb. 11 at 12:06 a.m.
Edited Feb. 13 at 12:35 a.m.
Schmaltz is 27 years of age (as of Dec 31, 2023 anyway) and under contract for two more seasons beyond this one. He gives the Rangers flexibility as he can play either right wing or center.

The Coyotes receive a RW project in Kakko, large 22 year old left D Matthew Robertson, and a 1st round pick. With the picks the Coyotes would have at their disposal, they could make further moves to try and improve their roster.

The reason this one may make sense for Ari is that while 27 isn't ancient in the NHL, by the time they are competing for a Cup, Schmaltz will be. This makes them younger, but with a player coming back who is already in the NHL.

Nyr:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Schmaltz
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
Cuylle - Brodzinski - Wheeler
Vesey - Goodrow - Pitlick

Ari: (adjusted Feb 12)

Keller - Cooley - Kakko
Maccelli - McBain - Crouse
Zucker - Hayton - Guenther
O'Brien - Bjugstad - Kerfoot
Feb. 11 at 12:34 a.m.
ARI accepts. Rangers probaby pull Robertson. ARI probably still accepts
Augustus liked this.
Feb. 11 at 12:52 a.m.
Quoting: Dutchies
ARI accepts. Rangers probaby pull Robertson. ARI probably still accepts

Crouse would also have been a nice option, but Schmaltz is a natural right shot and Crouse shoots leftie, despite being able to flip wings. Also, I think the Coyotes like having their big guys in the western conference, McBain, Crouse, Bjugstad to name the ones I know of.. Robertson would add another heavy piece. But yeah, I don't think Crouse would be on the table unless a better offer was made. I think though that Armstrong would insist on the best possible return for Schmaltz, especially with the team control for two more years.
Dutchies liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:12 a.m.
dont see AZ doing this, years past easy yes but as the team is now starting later phases of the rebuild trading top 6 established guys (still in prime and under good deal) for more futures and a hope change of scenery turns KK around sends a crap message to the team and fans.
Feb. 11 at 1:20 a.m.
Quoting: bwhsocal
dont see AZ doing this, years past easy yes but as the team is now starting later phases of the rebuild trading top 6 established guys (still in prime and under good deal) for more futures and a hope change of scenery turns KK around sends a crap message to the team and fans.

Fair enough, but I hope they don't fall into the Columbus trap and do it too soon. Kakko is 23, Robertson 22, they both fit perfectly with guys like Guenther and Cooley. It also just feels like they are missing the type of player Robertson would be on their back end, maybe fills a need going forward.

To also be fair, whatever message it sends to the fans, if there is belief that it could be the right move, ultimately, long term for the success of the team, they should do it. I would love Kakko on the Flames, I'd be willing to take the chance.

If you're really just not sold on KK doing anything special at all anywhere, then, well, we shall agree to disagree and close the case lol. I just don't believe that Nick Schmaltz is going to be a major contributor at the time that franchise finally has a solid, maybe they can win a round or two in the playoffs sorta thing going on.
Feb. 11 at 1:37 a.m.
Quoting: Augustus
Fair enough, but I hope they don't fall into the Columbus trap and do it too soon. Kakko is 23, Robertson 22, they both fit perfectly with guys like Guenther and Cooley. It also just feels like they are missing the type of player Robertson would be on their back end, maybe fills a need going forward.

To also be fair, whatever message it sends to the fans, if there is belief that it could be the right move, ultimately, long term for the success of the team, they should do it. I would love Kakko on the Flames, I'd be willing to take the chance.

If you're really just not sold on KK doing anything special at all anywhere, then, well, we shall agree to disagree and close the case lol. I just don't believe that Nick Schmaltz is going to be a major contributor at the time that franchise finally has a solid, maybe they can win a round or two in the playoffs sorta thing going on.

not saying AZ shouldnt think about it, and both guys are young (but so is almost all of AZ core team). robertson shows promise (AZ has on D durzi, moser, kesselring and valimaki all under 25, and soderstrum, koly, szuber, lamouroux duda and simeshev coming up) and KK could be last years or this years going forward, who knows. AZ has so many picks and deep pool they can add without subtracting from current top players if want to.
Augustus liked this.
Feb. 11 at 2:01 a.m.
Quoting: bwhsocal
not saying AZ shouldnt think about it, and both guys are young (but so is almost all of AZ core team). robertson shows promise (AZ has on D durzi, moser, kesselring and valimaki all under 25, and soderstrum, koly, szuber, lamouroux duda and simeshev coming up) and KK could be last years or this years going forward, who knows. AZ has so many picks and deep pool they can add without subtracting from current top players if want to.

Great competition on the D for sure! Robertson would make it even better grin They can't all be top 3 on the team.
Feb. 12 at 12:08 p.m.
If there was not so much turmoil around AZ ownership and upper management this would be something that AZ should seriously consider. It all fits nicely into what each team is currently trying to do with their on-ice product. On paper without considering the rest of the BS this is a good deal for both teams and should be considered.

A Keller/Cooley/Kakko line would be interesting to watch with two guys that can move the puck and a third to be net front. Probably score a ton of goals.

I am most curious about Keller's mindset. Schmaltz has been a constant for Keller in an ever shifting organization. If Schmaltz gets shipped off would Keller regress, IDK?
Feb. 12 at 10:58 p.m.
Edited Feb. 13 at 12:37 a.m.
Quoting: Marked_Difference
If there was not so much turmoil around AZ ownership and upper management this would be something that AZ should seriously consider. It all fits nicely into what each team is currently trying to do with their on-ice product. On paper without considering the rest of the BS this is a good deal for both teams and should be considered.

A Keller/Cooley/Kakko line would be interesting to watch with two guys that can move the puck and a third to be net front. Probably score a ton of goals.

I am most curious about Keller's mindset. Schmaltz has been a constant for Keller in an ever shifting organization. If Schmaltz gets shipped off would Keller regress, IDK?

That's a nice line consideration .. once Cooley and Kakko get comfortable and Cooley especially starts making less young guy mistakes, then Kakko could be one of those guys that scores 32 goals a season with 12-15 assists lol.

Also a fine point about the constancy of Schmaltz for Keller. God help that franchise get a damn arena and end the will they/wont they move thing.
Feb. 13 at 3:06 a.m.

P.s. Also feels like the Coyotes need to get a true, future number one goaltender in their system. Vejmelka and Ingram won't cut it long term, Thornton doesn't look like anything, and Villalta is a wild card, .913 in the AHL but is he an NHL game stealer? Maybe I've missed goalie picks that haven't been signed yet, but before the 'Yotes hit the prime time, I think they'll need to sort that situation out.
Feb. 13 at 10:30 a.m.
Quoting: Augustus
P.s. Also feels like the Coyotes need to get a true, future number one goaltender in their system. Vejmelka and Ingram won't cut it long term, Thornton doesn't look like anything, and Villalta is a wild card, .913 in the AHL but is he an NHL game stealer? Maybe I've missed goalie picks that haven't been signed yet, but before the 'Yotes hit the prime time, I think they'll need to sort that situation out.

Michael Hrabal and Melker Thelin are in the system. Both are very highly rated goalie prospects. Rough comps - Hrabal(Bishop/Dubnyk), Thelin(Demko/Hart)
Augustus liked this.
Feb. 15 at 12:54 a.m.
Michael Hrabal and Melker Thelin are in the system. Both are very highly rated goalie prospects. Rough comps - Hrabal(Bishop/Dubnyk), Thelin(Demko/Hart)

Thank you!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll