Forums/Armchair-GM

Is Bedard Celebrini the new Crosby Malkin

Created by: gpmack95
Team: 2024-25 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 15, 2024
Published: Feb. 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As a Penguins fan, yes I used that comparison of Crosby and Malkin. I was going to say Kane & Toews, but these two play center opposed to wing and center. Plus Celebrini already wears #71...
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$4,100,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
1$4,000,000
1$4,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Celebrini, Macklin
3$950,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Rakell, Rickard ($1,000,000 retained)
  2. 2026 3rd round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. 2026 5th round pick (CHI)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$87,700,000$68,947,500$0$4,500,000$18,752,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
C
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW
UFA
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Celebrini, Macklin
$950,000$950,000
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
LD
RFA - 2
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$962,500$962,500
G
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 15 at 10:56 a.m.
SkateOrDie
the penguins decline.
They aren't retaining the the return is awful.

Don't make Crosby and Malkin laugh at the comparison.
They went to a dead in the water team much like chicago and Crosby put up 100 points his 1st year and Malkin 85, the next year they were both 100 pt players. And that was in era of hockey where points were harder to come by.
Bedard isn't even close.
JuanDamienNebraska and jfkst1 liked this.
Feb. 15 at 11:06 a.m.
Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck
the penguins decline.

They went to a dead in the water team much like chicago and Crosby put up 100 points his 1st year and Malkin 85, the next year they were both 100 pt players. And that was in era of hockey where points were harder to come by.
Bedard isn't even close.

lol. Crosby and Malkin were also insulated by good veteran players. Relax, though, bud. I'm sure they wouldn't take any offense to the comparison. No one is taking anything away from your precious penguins. In fact, in case you didn't notice, the person posting this is probably the biggest Pen's fan on this entire site.
Feb. 15 at 11:08 a.m.
Possibly, but, oddly enough, I'm almost kind of hoping we don't win the lottery. I want to save our "2nd lottery win in a 5 year span" for Bedard's cousin (by marriage), Gavin McKenna, in the 2026 draft.
gpmack95, Nhl_oilers, SociallyHawkward and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 15 at 11:10 a.m.
Quoting: Garak
Possibly, but, oddly enough, I'm almost kind of hoping we don't win the lottery. I want to save our "2nd lottery win in a 5 year span" for Bedard's cousin (by marriage), Gavin McKenna, in the 2026 draft.

Who says you can't get both smile
Garak liked this.
Feb. 15 at 11:10 a.m.
No way are they the next Crosby/Malkin. A lot of scouts have said Celebrini will not be a franchise player.
McDavid and Drai are the only Crosby/Malkin duo right now.
gpmack95 liked this.
Feb. 15 at 11:13 a.m.
Quoting: gpmack95
Who says you can't get both smile

True. It would take some massive luck, though. Gavin McKenna will probably be 1st overall in 2026 and the new lottery rules only allow teams a chance to win the lottery two times in a 5 year span.
gpmack95 and YeahRighttt liked this.
Feb. 15 at 11:30 a.m.

Good plan! McKenna is insane! He will definitely go 1OA. Bedard, McKenna down the middle would be nasty! It’s hard to judge how good Celebrini, and McKenna are right now, but I too would rather McKenna on my team. I say get McKenna in 2026, and grab a good defence man this year. There are plenty good defenders.
SociallyHawkward and Garak liked this.
Feb. 15 at 12:03 p.m.
the penguins decline.

Bedard isn't even close.

Well there you go. I was going to actually wait to see how their careers went before counting any chickens, but if the crystal ball of 1 random keyboard warrior says no way, that’s obviously how it’s going to turn out in the end. Thanks for providing the community service of not having us waste our time. Hey, does your crystal ball got any winning lottery numbers you want to share with me?
Garak liked this.
Feb. 15 at 12:20 p.m.
True. It would take some massive luck, though. Gavin McKenna will probably be 1st overall in 2026 and the new lottery rules only allow teams a chance to win the lottery two times in a 5 year span.

I believe that rule only applies if you win the lottery from outside last place. If the hawks finish 32nd and pick first this year, they would still be eligible to win the lottery in 2026
Garak liked this.
Feb. 15 at 12:30 p.m.
Quoting: newman23
I believe that rule only applies if you win the lottery from outside last place. If the hawks finish 32nd and pick first this year, they would still be eligible to win the lottery in 2026

Yeah. That is my understanding of the rule as well. But some people are still interpreting it differently. I don't feel like going back through and dissecting it again, though. We'll just have to wait until it happens to get some clarification, or someone asks.
newman23 liked this.
Feb. 15 at 12:34 p.m.
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
Good plan! McKenna is insane! He will definitely go 1OA. Bedard, McKenna down the middle would be nasty! It’s hard to judge how good Celebrini, and McKenna are right now, but I too would rather McKenna on my team. I say get McKenna in 2026, and grab a good defence man this year. There are plenty good defenders.

Yep. I like Celebrini A LOT. He has a great career ahead of him. But up against guys like Hagens and McKenna, I think Celebrini will be the lesser player in hindsight.

Plus, I would not be sad in the least bit if CHI didn't win the lottery and ended up with Lindstrom or Demidov. But if KD picks a defenseman in the 2 to 5 range I probably will be a little upset.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Feb. 15 at 1:34 p.m.
I'll comment on your proposed moves only. Hawks likely wouldn't take on Rakell and his 4 remaining years for less than a 1st round pick. If they'd take him on at all. Too much money and term for guy who's play is obviously declining. The Schultz signing is good. Can't see Kapanen as a target though. He's no better an option for Bedard's line than Kurashev currently is. Hawks need a more effective goal scorer to play on Bedard's RW. And Hawks are much more likely to being back Megna than Tinordi.
Garak liked this.
Feb. 15 at 1:36 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Quoting: YeahRighttt
Well there you go. I was going to actually wait to see how their careers went before counting any chickens, but if the crystal ball of 1 random keyboard warrior says no way, that’s obviously how it’s going to turn out in the end. Thanks for providing the community service of not having us waste our time. Hey, does your crystal ball got any winning lottery numbers you want to share with me?

np glad to help. PS Bedard is no Crosby. If you want to know what a Crosby level player looks like entering the league, McDavid is in EDM.
Have fun.
Feb. 15 at 1:45 p.m.
Yep. I like Celebrini A LOT. He has a great career ahead of him. But up against guys like Hagens and McKenna, I think Celebrini will be the lesser player in hindsight.

Plus, I would not be sad in the least bit if CHI didn't win the lottery and ended up with Lindstrom or Demidov. But if KD picks a defenseman in the 2 to 5 range I probably will be a little upset.

Exactly! This draft is loaded with good quality players. That’s also it. It depends on where you are drafting. There are some good defenders that they could take, like Artyom Levshunov for example. I would say he would be the only RHD that would be worth taking in the top 10, followed by guys like Parekh, Yakemchuk etc. My primary targets for the Blackhawks would be Lindstrom, Levshunov. Demidov, and Helenius are good, but I would prefer someone bigger with Bedard.
Feb. 15 at 3:44 p.m.
np glad to help. PS Bedard is no Crosby. If you want to know what a Crosby level player looks like entering the league, McDavid is in EDM.
Have fun.

Is that a no on the lottery numbers?
Feb. 15 at 4:01 p.m.
Exactly! This draft is loaded with good quality players. That’s also it. It depends on where you are drafting. There are some good defenders that they could take, like Artyom Levshunov for example. I would say he would be the only RHD that would be worth taking in the top 10, followed by guys like Parekh, Yakemchuk etc. My primary targets for the Blackhawks would be Lindstrom, Levshunov. Demidov, and Helenius are good, but I would prefer someone bigger with Bedard.

I've watched a ton of Levshunov this year and I just don't like him as an option for CHI's 1st this year. They will more than likely have a top 5 pick if not top 3, and I can think of 5 guys I would probably select before Levshunov. We need top 6 forwards WAYYY more than defenseman. I would love Lindstrom or Demidov. Demidov's size is fine. He needs to put on some muscle over the next couple years, but, offensively, he is the most dynamic and electric player in this draft. Whether he plays with Bedard or runs the offense on the 2nd line, he would be a fantastic addition to CHI. After Celebrini, Lindstrom, and Demidov, I have Catton, and then there is a bunch of guys at 5th that I wouldn't mind, Levshunov included, but I don't think he is a sure thing there.

Levshunov is good, but he is way overhyped. I liked him a lot more when he was ranked outside of the top 10. Now, I'm backing off. He is not good defensively, half the time he hurry's off the ice when play is transitioning to defense. On offense, he is fine, but his abilities are being overblown. He cannot "take over a game" or "do it all on is own" like some people say. Most of his production comes from touches in the cycle. He does have a pretty good shot, though. Especially when he takes it to the middle and closer to the net.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Feb. 15 at 4:29 p.m.
I've watched a ton of Levshunov this year and I just don't like him as an option for CHI's 1st this year. They will more than likely have a top 5 pick if not top 3, and I can think of 5 guys I would probably select before Levshunov. We need top 6 forwards WAYYY more than defenseman. I would love Lindstrom or Demidov. Demidov's size is fine. He needs to put on some muscle over the next couple years, but, offensively, he is the most dynamic and electric player in this draft. Whether he plays with Bedard or runs the offense on the 2nd line, he would be a fantastic addition to CHI. After Celebrini, Lindstrom, and Demidov, I have Catton, and then there is a bunch of guys at 5th that I wouldn't mind, Levshunov included, but I don't think he is a sure thing there.

Levshunov is good, but he is way overhyped. I liked him a lot more when he was ranked outside of the top 10. Now, I'm backing off. He is not good defensively, half the time he hurry's off the ice when play is transitioning to defense. On offense, he is fine, but his abilities are being overblown. He cannot "take over a game" or "do it all on is own" like some people say. Most of his production comes from touches in the cycle. He does have a pretty good shot, though. Especially when he takes it to the middle and closer to the net.

Fair enough, and thanks for the insight on Levshunov. You know the Hawks more than i do, just thought they could use a good number one defence man, however, that could come in 2025 if necessary. If Demidov did put on some muscle he would be a force to be reckoned with. His offensive game is outstanding, I can agree that it is one of the best in this draft. Levshunov is good, and I think he will just get better, but I can see why you would want a forward over him. A good guy to play in the top 6 would be good for them, especially with guys like Nazar, Reichel, Moore etc, finding their games, and developing as good NHL options. Moore imo was another good selection last year, and I’ve always been very big on Nazar. Another forward wouldn’t hurt this team, and they are looking pretty good in net with Commesso, and Gajan too!
Garak liked this.
Feb. 15 at 4:57 p.m.
Fair enough, and thanks for the insight on Levshunov. You know the Hawks more than i do, just thought they could use a good number one defence man, however, that could come in 2025 if necessary. If Demidov did put on some muscle he would be a force to be reckoned with. His offensive game is outstanding, I can agree that it is one of the best in this draft. Levshunov is good, and I think he will just get better, but I can see why you would want a forward over him. A good guy to play in the top 6 would be good for them, especially with guys like Nazar, Reichel, Moore etc, finding their games, and developing as good NHL options. Moore imo was another good selection last year, and I’ve always been very big on Nazar. Another forward wouldn’t hurt this team, and they are looking pretty good in net with Commesso, and Gajan too!

Definitely. I feel like we have a handful of guys with top 6 upside but not sure things. The only sure things, in my opinion, are Bedard and whoever we pick in this years draft. I doubt Nazar and Moore will be play drivers, they will likely be supplementary top 6 or solid 3rd line forwards. Idk, though. Maybe KD is fine with one superstar (Bedard) driving the bus for all the supplementary players. We'll see, I guess.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Feb. 15 at 6:19 p.m.
Definitely. I feel like we have a handful of guys with top 6 upside but not sure things. The only sure things, in my opinion, are Bedard and whoever we pick in this years draft. I doubt Nazar and Moore will be play drivers, they will likely be supplementary top 6 or solid 3rd line forwards. Idk, though. Maybe KD is fine with one superstar (Bedard) driving the bus for all the supplementary players. We'll see, I guess.

For sure! I can see Nazar being a good top 6 winger in the NHL, but that could also be because I am very high on him haha. Now that you put it that way though, it does sound like they could use some more good quality top 6 guys. Again, thank you! Have a great day!
Garak liked this.
Feb. 15 at 9:32 p.m.
For sure! I can see Nazar being a good top 6 winger in the NHL, but that could also be because I am very high on him haha. Now that you put it that way though, it does sound like they could use some more good quality top 6 guys. Again, thank you! Have a great day!

Oh yeah. Don't get me wrong. I am high on all those guys, too. But I try to temper expectations and be realistic. Plenty of kids produce tons of offense at the junior and college level and then they get to pro and can't get anything done. So, I don't think those guys are "sure things" to be top 6 forwards let alone top line, but they are definitely exciting young players with a lot of potential.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Feb. 18 at 10:43 a.m.
SkateOrDie
Quoting: YeahRighttt
Is that a no on the lottery numbers?

1,2,3,4,5 and 6

lucky numbers just for you!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll