Next year mock

Created by: Kyle_Davidson
Team: 2024-25 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 18, 2024
Published: Feb. 19, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Contracts RFA
Vlasic: Davidson should try and get Vlasic to take the Mattias Samuelson deal for 5.19% of the cap (~86000000). That comes to a cap hit of 4,463,400 X 7. This deal is super important to get right since it is so early in the rebuild. They shouldn’t be bridging him, nor should they overcommit to him while there’s so many unknowns. My absolute limit for Vlasic on an 8 year deal is 5 AAV, because I’m projecting him as a 2nd or 3rd pair shutdown LD on a contending team.

Reichel: I wish we could treat reichel the same as Vlasic, but we can’t… and with his demotion to RFD this am he may just take his qualifying offer. In any case I am prepared to offer him a 2x2 deal as a last show of faith in his potential. It gives him some money and runway to show his worth to the organization.

Entwistle/Anderson: These are two guys I think the hawks should reward. Their salary is guaranteed but their lineup spots are not as the roster improves. Hawks could easily go out and sign 4th line fodder for over market value, but I like these two players.

Philips/Crevier: These guys project as depth pieces right now, but they have a place on next years roster. For their deals, nothing crazy a 1/2 year deal from 900,000-1,200,000.

UFA:
Beauvillier: I don’t have any attachment to the player, he hasn’t made a distinct impression on me. He is valuable as a way to force Nazar to earn a lineup spot, because he can play in the middle six. With the reichel situation, I want to ensure that prospects are playing their way into the team, and not being handed roles without being ready for them. In this projection I have Nazar in the AHL, but when he gets games at the end of this year we will know more on if he starts for us next year.

Reserve List: We are finally going to see Davidson picks in RFD, and in the hopes of creating a competitive and developmental environment in RFD, I project they will sign a few of their college guys and start them there. This includes:
Nazar -> RFD
Slaggert -> RFD
Thompson ->RFD
Connor -> RFD
For other college prospects, nothing more needs to be done.

Some other prospects will receive ELCs and be reassigned to their junior teams. Right now I think of:
Nick Lardis (feel free to mention others in the comments)

As far as NHL moves go, I don’t see the hawks making any big moves or signings. Stamkos would be a good get, but who knows if he is available.

Tankathon Spin:
CBJ Celebrini
ANA Leshunov
CHI
With the third pick in the draft the Blackhawks are proud to select from the medicine cat tigers of the WHL Cayden Lindstrom. With the 18th pick (via trade up with DET from 20) the hawks select Adam Jiricek. With the 24th pick in the draft, via EDM from Murphy trade (based on current standings) the hawks select Tanner Howe.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
1$950,000
1$950,000
1$950,000
1$950,000
1$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$4,463,400
2$2,000,000
2$1,150,000
1$900,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,500,000
2$10,500,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
  3. 2026 2nd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Murphy, Connor ($2,200,000 retained)
  2. Raddysh, Taylor [RFA Rights]
CHI
  1. 2024 4th round pick (VAN)
VAN
    Previous retention comp
    CHI
    1. 2024 5th round pick (NYR)
    NYR
      Blackwell
      CHI
      1. 2024 7th round pick (CHI)
      2. 2025 5th round pick (TBL)
      TBL
        TJ no retention
        Buyouts
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the EDM
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the LAK
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the OTT
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the DAL
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the NYI
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the EDM
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the OTT
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the CHI
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        21$83,500,000$74,877,567$0$4,925,000$8,622,433
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        $10,500,000$10,500,000
        LW, C
        UFA
        Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
        $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
        C
        RFA - 2
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        LW, C, RW
        RFA - 1
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        LW
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 1
        $4,250,000$4,250,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 2
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        LW, C
        RFA - 2
        $4,250,000$4,250,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        LW, C, RW
        UFA - 2
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        RW, LW
        UFA
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        LW, C
        RFA
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        LW, C, RW
        UFA - 1
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        RW
        RFA
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
        LD
        RFA - 2
        $9,500,000$9,500,000
        RD
        NMC
        UFA - 6
        $4,250,000$4,250,000
        G
        UFA - 2
        $4,463,400$4,463,400
        LD
        UFA - 6
        $916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
        LD
        RFA - 1
        $962,500$962,500
        G
        RFA - 1
        $1,150,000$1,150,000
        LD
        RFA
        Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
        $3,250,000$3,250,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $900,000$900,000
        RD
        RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Feb. 19 at 1:54 p.m.
        If we get Lindstrom I will be ecstatic. Jiricek has grown on me too. KD could do much worse with an 18th overall pick, and if he hits, he could be top 10 in re-drafts.
        Feb. 19 at 2:50 p.m.
        I think Vlasic has played himself into a deal where if you sign him 7-8 years hes going to command $5m minimum
        ChiHawk, YeahRighttt and Garak liked this.
        Feb. 19 at 4:01 p.m.
        I highly doubt Vlasic comes under $5M for 7 or 8 years. He's better than Samuelson in his rookie year and ranked #5 in the league defensively (not offensively obviously), which given that is quite surprising your comment around him being a 2nd or 3rd pairing on a playoff team? He's pretty much proving this year he's a lock as a top 4 on a playoff team if not top 3 and upside as a top line even #1. The cap is also projected by the league to be $87.7M if you want to do projections as percentages against next year's cap. Could the Hawks get Vlasic on a $5.5M 7 or 8 year deal? That would be huge as in 4 or 5 years that deal will be a absolute steal....but his agent knows this and they (Vlasic and his agent) will likely be pushing hard for a bridge deal. I wouldn't be shocked with a 3 year $4M deal.

Reichel may get a qualifying offer for 1 or 2 years or maybe as high as $2M to your point. They could also go longer for $2M as it's not a lot of cap and betting on his slump is only that and thus making the deal look like a steal over a few years. Something is wrong upstairs with the kid. Sad to watch this season go to waste for him.

Philips has potential to be a NHL player, but he's got a fair amount of work to do as well to earn a solidified spot. I like Kaiser's upside more also given a year younger too. Crevier IMO, while also having work to be a full-time NHL player, looks more impressive in the NHL than Philips and could see him becoming a 3rd line lock down defensive pairing. Of course all of these guys should bounce up and down as they are doing this year.

I'm with you on Bouv...take him or leave him.

No way is Stamkos coming to Chicago for another tank year. He's going to go where he can chase a cup. Same reason Kane isn't sticking around towards the end of his career despite still living in Chicago in the mansion he purchased and remodeled in Lake Forest over the last 18 months. In the summer of 2025, I do believe we will be a more attractive team to top end talent in the league.

That's a bit of an overpay by Edmonton. Raddysh isn't worth much, maybe a 4th, Murphy retained for a late 1st is about right or about at best. Ceci doesn't cost that much to dump IMO. I would remove the 2nd and replace with a 3rd or 4th. We better feel really good about Rinzel if this is a move the hawks make. If Rinzel, still obviously young, doesn't live up to the hype in a couple of years the Hawks will have problems at RHD.

I do think TJ can net a 3rd or 4th, but splitting hairs.

Agree on Nazar. I think he will play at least the first half of next season in Rockford. Also agree the Hawks aren't going to sign any big names this summer, next summer (2025) I see that a strong a possibility. We have another tank year on the way next season, but it will be the last and the team should be slightly better than this year (maybe 5th worst in the league).

Regarding the draft, if the Hawks miss on Celebrini, I think they go Levshunov, Lindstrom and Demidov in that order depending where they pick and who's available.
        JK74, YeahRighttt, Kyle_Davidson and 1 other person liked this.
        Feb. 19 at 4:26 p.m.
        Quoting: ChiHawk
        I highly doubt Vlasic comes under $5M for 7 or 8 years. He's better than Samuelson in his rookie year and ranked #5 in the league defensively (not offensively obviously), which given that is quite surprising your comment around him being a 2nd or 3rd pairing on a playoff team? He's pretty much proving this year he's a lock as a top 4 on a playoff team if not top 3 and upside as a top line even #1. The cap is also projected by the league to be $87.7M if you want to do projections as percentages against next year's cap. Could the Hawks get Vlasic on a $5.5M 7 or 8 year deal? That would be huge as in 4 or 5 years that deal will be a absolute steal....but his agent knows this and they (Vlasic and his agent) will likely be pushing hard for a bridge deal. I wouldn't be shocked with a 3 year $4M deal.

Reichel may get a qualifying offer for 1 or 2 years or maybe as high as $2M to your point. They could also go longer for $2M as it's not a lot of cap and betting on his slump is only that and thus making the deal look like a steal over a few years. Something is wrong upstairs with the kid. Sad to watch this season go to waste for him.

Philips has potential to be a NHL player, but he's got a fair amount of work to do as well to earn a solidified spot. I like Kaiser's upside more also given a year younger too. Crevier IMO, while also having work to be a full-time NHL player, looks more impressive in the NHL than Philips and could see him becoming a 3rd line lock down defensive pairing. Of course all of these guys should bounce up and down as they are doing this year.

I'm with you on Bouv...take him or leave him.

No way is Stamkos coming to Chicago for another tank year. He's going to go where he can chase a cup. Same reason Kane isn't sticking around towards the end of his career despite still living in Chicago in the mansion he purchased and remodeled in Lake Forest over the last 18 months. In the summer of 2025, I do believe we will be a more attractive team to top end talent in the league.

That's a bit of an overpay by Edmonton. Raddysh isn't worth much, maybe a 4th, Murphy retained for a late 1st is about right or about at best. Ceci doesn't cost that much to dump IMO. I would remove the 2nd and replace with a 3rd or 4th. We better feel really good about Rinzel if this is a move the hawks make. If Rinzel, still obviously young, doesn't live up to the hype in a couple of years the Hawks will have problems at RHD.

I do think TJ can net a 3rd or 4th, but splitting hairs.

Agree on Nazar. I think he will play at least the first half of next season in Rockford. Also agree the Hawks aren't going to sign any big names this summer, next summer (2025) I see that a strong a possibility. We have another tank year on the way next season, but it will be the last and the team should be slightly better than this year (maybe 5th worst in the league).

Regarding the draft, if the Hawks miss on Celebrini, I think they go Levshunov, Lindstrom and Demidov in that order depending where they pick and who's available.

To your last point, if Chicago moves Murphy I think they 100% target Levshunov. The kid still has some work to do defensively but he's NHL ready. After him, Lindstrom is a very close 2nd and I could see the Hawks brass valuing him higher than Levshunov.
        Garak, ChiHawk and YeahRighttt liked this.
        Feb. 19 at 4:34 p.m.
        Quoting: newman23
        I think Vlasic has played himself into a deal where if you sign him 7-8 years hes going to command $5m minimum

More.
        JK74, ChiHawk and YeahRighttt liked this.
        Feb. 19 at 4:36 p.m.
        I wouldn’t complain if we got Stamkos but can’t see him leaving Tampa especially for a non-playoff team.
        Davidson has talked about the problem of having too many picks to sign/devolp. With that in mind I don’t think “the juice is worth the squeeze “ for Blackwell & Johnson. Maybe if they were packaged & the pick was deferred for a couple of years or something.
        I can’t envision the Oilers paying that much for Murphy & certainly Raddysh. Neither of them has had a good enough year to justify that package. I don’t think Davidson is ready to move on from Murphy yet either.Of course an offer like that would probably change his mind.
        I m probably comfortable with Lindstrom at 3 if that is where they pick. He might not have as high a ceiling as others but has a skill set that the Hawks don’t have in the organization.
        Even moving up to 18 I’m not sure Jiricek is still on the board. Most likely RDs at that spot are probably Mews, Emery, Elick. I think I like them in that order.
        Garak and ChiHawk liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll