SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Feb. 28 at 11:45 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Doesn't kick in until July 1st when his new contract begins, as it currently stands his only trade protection is his M-NTC

Not true. His contract extension retroactively added a NTC to this year. (It's actually a full NMC, but for our purposes it's interchangeable)

I feel like people often forget that the term "contract extension" isn't just a random phrase we use
Feb. 28 at 12:11 p.m.
Doesn't kick in until July 1st when his new contract begins, as it currently stands his only trade protection is his M-NTC

Nope, it switched to an NMC the minute his new contract was signed.
Feb. 28 at 12:47 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: fangm
I don't think that's true. If he says he isn't resigning then they need to move him. Assuming they still want to compete in the short term Nylander is likely the best player anyone would offer them in return.

In terms of points only Kucherov, MacKinnon, McDavid, Pasta, Miller are ahead of him. Obvs Miller is on Van and the other 4 aren't being moved for Petty. Even looking at the rest of the top 25 in points Bratt at 23 and Verhaeghe at 24 are the only ones whose teams would consider moving them (even for Petty) so Nylander as the base of a trade should blow away most other offers.

I see where you are coming from but I don't think Marner needs to be the guy simply because nobody can top Nylander.

I understand your point but Nylander was just resigned. You’d be breaking the unwritten rule of trading players after signing them before they get a chance to play. It makes sense on paper but not in reality. Then again the idea of Petey to Toronto isn’t likely lol but still.
Feb. 28 at 1:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
He's got a full NMC right now. Negotiated as part of the contract extension.

Doesnt that not kick in though till July the 1st though per the NHL rules

As his old contract's final year was a M-NTC did it swap when he signed a new deal

If thats the case man that kind of blows lul. We had the potential for an interesting blockbuster dam lul
Feb. 28 at 1:10 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Random2152
Not true. His contract extension retroactively added a NTC to this year. (It's actually a full NMC, but for our purposes it's interchangeable)

I feel like people often forget that the term "contract extension" isn't just a random phrase we use

Nope, it switched to an NMC the minute his new contract was signed.

Didn't know that, my bad. Good to know though, and I guess it does make sense. Regardless, the Leafs shouldn't trade Nylander for Pettersson IMO
Feb. 28 at 1:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
I'd expect this to pretty much be the exact strategy. Not necessarily these players...but pick up a RD with at least some term (or who you intend to extend) at this deadline and then add another in free agency with extensions for Lilly and Benoit

Yea thats my thought rn

Prepare now and then set up for the future.

But the other idea which is starting to become more and more likely is this

TOR decides they want a forward and a Dman so goes to ANA or NSH and makes a deal for Novak + Fabbro or Henrique + Lybushkin
Feb. 28 at 1:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/KPapetti/status/1762330555390005318

Honestly this be pretty funny lul

New meme also generated to
Feb. 28 at 1:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 28 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Yea thats my thought rn

Prepare now and then set up for the future.

But the other idea which is starting to become more and more likely is this

TOR decides they want a forward and a Dman so goes to ANA or NSH and makes a deal for Novak + Fabbro or Henrique + Lybushkin

Untitled.png

I think this is honestly gonna be Brad's TDL. Once both come he will extend them and let Domi and Bertuzzi walk which is gonna suck as both these guys gonna rebound on new teams 100%

Rielly seems to do well with guys like Lybushkin and even though there be flaws we have seen it over and over and over.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28 at 2:38 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
I understand your point but Nylander was just resigned. You’d be breaking the unwritten rule of trading players after signing them before they get a chance to play. It makes sense on paper but not in reality. Then again the idea of Petey to Toronto isn’t likely lol but still.

He would have to agree so I don't think its really a bad look. Again Vancouver asked Miller to waive last year before his extension kicked in. It's not a common thing but it's also not unheard of. Leafs have also broken these "unwritten" rules in the past. Think trading Richie a couple months after signing him as a UFA.

You are right that it would be weird but the main reason its an unwritten rule is cause it would make players less likely to sign for you. Given the circumstances (Nylander needing to waive/top 5 C coming back/8+year of playoff failures) it would be seen as a one off.
Feb. 28 at 2:46 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
So idk about you guys, but I'm thinking our best bet is to move our 1st and niemela for Larsson half retained. I'd like b. Tanev too but he also need to be half ret and that just starts getting complicated fast
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28 at 2:49 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: fangm
He would have to agree so I don't think its really a bad look. Again Vancouver asked Miller to waive last year before his extension kicked in. It's not a common thing but it's also not unheard of. Leafs have also broken these "unwritten" rules in the past. Think trading Richie a couple months after signing him as a UFA.

You are right that it would be weird but the main reason its an unwritten rule is cause it would make players less likely to sign for you. Given the circumstances (Nylander needing to waive/top 5 C coming back/8+year of playoff failures) it would be seen as a one off.

Meh I don’t think the Ritchie thing was comparable, he was on a 2 year deal and was not a good fit on the leafs. I don’t really think Nylander is an exception, if he’s wanting to waived sure but why would he?
Feb. 28 at 3:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So idk about you guys, but I'm thinking our best bet is to move our 1st and niemela for Larsson half retained. I'd like b. Tanev too but he also need to be half ret and that just starts getting complicated fast

Thats what im thinking. Idk if SEA would retain a tonne but if u make the deal right I dont see why not. Look at NSH with Ekholm

Also been looking at if a Kartye for Robertson move is possible to. Still remember him last playoffs vs. AVS and DAL not a bad debut

Both be the same age but Kartye plays a bit more physical which increases viability for the B6. Hakstol also has familiarity with Robertson so it should be interesting.
Random2152 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 3:20 p.m.

I’m taking a pass on that. I’m not that sold on Larsson - at least not at that price.
palhal liked this.
Feb. 28 at 3:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 28 at 3:28 p.m.
Thats what im thinking. Idk if SEA would retain a tonne but if u make the deal right I dont see why not. Look at NSH with Ekholm

Also been looking at if a Kartye for Robertson move is possible to. Still remember him last playoffs vs. AVS and DAL not a bad debut

Both be the same age but Kartye plays a bit more physical which increases viability for the B6. Hakstol also has familiarity with Robertson so it should be interesting.

Like rn im thinking

TOR sends: Robertson, Timmins, Niemela, 1st to SEA (Helps with ret), SEA sends Larsson (50% ret), Kartye, and Tatar (50% ret) to TOR

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
Kartye-JT-Jarnkrok
Tatar-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-Larsson
Benoit-McCabe
Brodie-Liligren

Extra: Gio, Reaves, Holmberg
Feb. 28 at 3:22 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I’m taking a pass on that. I’m not that sold on Larsson - at least not at that price.

He's up and down, but 2 years at 2 mil with his skill set next to mo could be nice, and if he manages to go up again I think we could really benefit
Feb. 28 at 3:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Like rn im thinking

TOR sends: Robertson, Timmins, Niemela, 1st to SEA (Helps with ret), SEA sends Larsson (50% ret), Kartye, and a 4th back to TOR

Can't imagine we'd need to send Robbie in that trade.

My original trade but add Kartye and maybe Timmins or a similar calibre piece should do it
Feb. 28 at 3:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
He's up and down, but 2 years at 2 mil with his skill set net to mo could be nice, and if he manages to go up again I think we could really benefit

That and 100 hits/blocks with a positive takeaway differential

Not bad for a 6'3 200 pound RD who plays over 20 mins a night
Feb. 28 at 3:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Can't imagine we'd need to send Robbie in that trade.

My original trade but add Kartye and maybe Timmins or a similar calibre piece should do it

The one reason was thinking is SEA might go u know what we want a young nhl playing guy coming back who has a bit more offensive upside. As while I love Robertson hes the one ? in the forward group rn

He does a lot of good but when I look at the construction it seems someone more like Kartye would be perfect for the third line with JT and Jarnkrok or whoever they decide to put there

Like rn this is my prototype idea: TOR sends: Robertson, Timmins, Niemela, 1st to SEA (Helps with ret), SEA sends Larsson (50% ret), Kartye, and Tatar (50% ret)

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
Kartye-JT-Jarnkrok
Tatar-Kampf-McMann

Can switch Tatar and Kartye depending on performance or matchup
Feb. 28 at 3:33 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Super weird that this was brought up because I kid you not I made an ACGM team a few hours ago that saw Robertson, Timmins, and a few 3rds to Seattle for Larsson and Kartye. Also went ahead and got Toropchenko. I'd feel much better about trading for ANOTHER guy over 30 if we also got a younger guy attached to him in the form of Kartye.

Kept the ACGM in my drafts but I'll go ahead and post it
Feb. 28 at 3:40 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
To me, when folks says he can't trade a player just because he signed a contract recently is nonsense.

All 50 pro players have signed contracts for their teams, and are eligible to be traded, unless they have trade restrictions.
Regarding Canucks EP, he may be opting for UFA, so he jut might be willing to go the QO route for one season. Hey maybe he replaces Tavares .
Feb. 28 at 3:47 p.m.
He's up and down, but 2 years at 2 mil with his skill set next to mo could be nice, and if he manages to go up again I think we could really benefit

Could be nice, sure, but if we’re including a 1st and Niemela I’m aiming higher, even if it means adding. Like that’s Muzzin/Ekholm territory and I don’t think Larsson is in that class tbh - I know he’d be much cheaper at $2m but still.
Feb. 28 at 3:48 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Could be nice, sure, but if we’re including a 1st and Niemela I’m aiming higher, even if it means adding. Like that’s Muzzin/Ekholm territory and I don’t think Larsson is in that class tbh - I know he’d be much cheaper at $2m but still.

I don't think the guy you want exists on the trade market
Feb. 28 at 3:54 p.m.
I don't think the guy you want exists on the trade market

I agree. But I’m not willing to pay the price for what I want while settling for less.
Feb. 28 at 4:01 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I agree. But I’m not willing to pay the price for what I want while settling for less.

So what we stand pat and do nothing then?
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28 at 4:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Super weird that this was brought up because I kid you not I made an ACGM team a few hours ago that saw Robertson, Timmins, and a few 3rds to Seattle for Larsson and Kartye. Also went ahead and got Toropchenko. I'd feel much better about trading for ANOTHER guy over 30 if we also got a younger guy attached to him in the form of Kartye.

Kept the ACGM in my drafts but I'll go ahead and post it

I saw that. Kartye was always on my bucket list and if Brad was wanting to do a Willy blockbuster (before extension) he was part of the pkg

As for Larsson his playstyle isnt crazy to where like Muzzin things went south fast. Heck for Muzzin u could argue he was just pretty unlucky PLD crosscheck that slams him into OB's Knee and hes out, Leg injury from big hit, then collision that basically ended his career. Even if hes a little older the guys a workhorse and TOR needs another rn especially since Brodie and Gio will be gone next year

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll