SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Feb. 28 at 9:35 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
So someone just pointed out to me that we could do something like this in UFA:

Tanev 8@2

His body is ready to give out. Keeps the hit low and he will go on LTIR when he's done. And we all know it'll be legit cause frankly it's amazing he's still playing at all
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28 at 9:43 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Cause trading much more than that for a 34 year old rental with an extensive injury history when the acquiring team could best be described as "mid" on the season is ill advised.

I mean I don’t know about the “mid” thing, they aren’t as good as last year sure but they’re still a solid team. But the age and injury concerns are fair concerns
Feb. 28 at 9:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152

Tanev 82

His body is ready to give out. Keeps the hit low and he will go on LTIR when he's done. And we all know it'll be legit cause frankly it's amazing he's still playing at all

I thought about that but then thought of the Roy + Andersson super plan lul

As imagine come 2024-2025

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-Andersson
Benoit-Liligren

Also wouldnt surprise if DAL works on extension with him before season end. Look what they gave Suter, they love oldies
Feb. 28 at 9:53 p.m.

Tanev 82

Do we really think he’ll get much more than 2 on even a 3-5 year deal at the age of 34 though?
Feb. 28 at 10:10 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Do we really think he’ll get much more than 2 on even a 3-5 year deal at the age of 34 though?

Rumour is 5-6.

So yeah
Feb. 28 at 10:14 p.m.
Rumour is 5-6.

So yeah

What??? Where’s that from?

I’d be somewhat surprised if he got a raise at all, downright shocked if he got one on a contract longer than 2 years
Feb. 28 at 10:19 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
What??? Where’s that from?

I’d be somewhat surprised if he got a raise at all, downright shocked if he got one on a contract longer than 2 years

One of the insiders yesterday said it. Let me check and I'll edit the link into this comment within 10 mins if I find it

Here it is
Feb. 28 at 10:20 p.m.
One of the insiders yesterday said it. Let me check and I'll edit the link into this comment within 10 mins if I find it

That’s wild
Random2152 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 10:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
With Tanev gone here's the 3 predictions

1. Seeler + Walker

2. Vatrano or Henrique + Lybushkin

3. Dumba scream (yes hes retained but still ew)

Now I hope Brad surprises with a big move but idk its a mystery rn. As the one guy that was looking like it is now gone
Feb. 28 at 10:27 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: aadoyle
With Tanev gone here's the 3 predictions

1. Seeler + Walker

2. Vatrano or Henrique + Lybushkin

3. Dumba scream (yes hes retained but still ew)

Now I hope Brad surprises with a big move but idk its a mystery rn. As the one guy that was looking like it is now gone

Not interested in any of them
Feb. 28 at 10:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Not interested in any of them

I wouldnt mind Vatrano + Lybushkin

Vatrano basically Bertuzzi replacement for when he leaves in FA and for cheaper to

And Lybushkin worked well with Rielly and is basically the only other ducks Dman or interest/actually available
Feb. 28 at 10:32 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I wouldnt mind Vatrano + Lybushkin

Hes basically Bertuzzi replacement for when he leaves in FA and for cheaper to

And Lybushkin worked well with Rielly and is basically the only other ducks Dman or interest/actually available

Boosh has been awful and wasn't all that good for us. I'd rather do nothing
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 10:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Boosh has been awful and wasn't all that good for us. I'd rather do nothing

In general Rielly does well with guys like him

They may not be great but he often does his best work. Shouldnt cost more than a 4th to get him anyways with ret the more expensive pick would be for Vatrano

Like if they gave a 1st + 4th for Lybushkin 50% ret and 1.5 years of Vatrano I wouldnt mind

As Vatrano = Bertuzzi replacement
Lybushkin = cheap rielly partner who u probs could extend for 1m x 2 years

Also would add more scoring depth and still TOR would have cap to add if they do some juggling
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28 at 10:35 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming

They may not be great but he often does his best work. Shouldnt cost more than a 4th to get him anyways the more expensive pick would be for Vatrano

Like if they gave a 1st + 4th for Lybushkin 50% ret and 1.5 years of Vatrano I wouldnt mind

No. Next idea please
Feb. 28 at 10:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
No. Next idea please

In general the main goal would be for Vatrano and thats not a bad return. Sure Lybushkin aint the best but meh to add another 20+ goal scorer to replace a pending walking UFA aint a bad idea.

As in the end doing nothing will be the biggest mistake in TML history as you do not waste a season of Matthews, Marner and Willy in their primes

1st + 4th would be a small price for planning ahead to the future.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
Vatrano-JT-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-Lybushkin
Benoit-McCabe
Brodie-Liligren
Feb. 28 at 10:40 p.m.
Amirov Forever

They may not be great but he often does his best work. Shouldnt cost more than a 4th to get him anyways with ret the more expensive pick would be for Vatrano

Also would add more scoring depth and still TOR would have cap to add if they do some juggling

You keep overlooking the fact that Lyubushkin sucks. He stunk in his first stint with the Leafs, he stunk with the Sabres, and he stinks with the Ducks. Im not sure why we are looking for a Rielly partner when we have Liljegren, or even McCabe at this point. Depth with term should be the priority at this point. If we want a bigger name, then Larsson would be a solid target, but anything more than some late picks and maybe a decent young player and I'd pass. Id like to see Tyler Tucker and Toropchenko be brought in for cheap, Tucker is a physical defensive defender who is on the outs in St Louis, and I think he would ball out in the playoffs.

We dont need anything extravagant this TDL, just stuff to help in the now and the later. Figure out the more glaring issues this offseason
Hakuna Matata
In general the main goal would be for Vatrano and thats not a bad return. Sure Lybushkin aint the best but meh to add another 20+ goal scorer to replace a pending walking UFA aint a bad idea.

As in the end doing nothing will be the biggest mistake in TML history as you do not waste a season of Matthews, Marner and Willy in their primes

1st + 4th would be a small price for planning ahead to the future.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
Vatrano-JT-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-Lybushkin
Benoit-McCabe
Brodie-Liligren

The come 2024-2025

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Vatrano-JT-Nylander
Robertson- new 3c-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-Liligren
Brodie-Lybushkin
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 28 at 10:49 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
You keep overlooking the fact that Lyubushkin sucks. He stunk in his first stint with the Leafs, he stunk with the Sabres, and he stinks with the Ducks. Im not sure why we are looking for a Rielly partner when we have Liljegren, or even McCabe at this point. Depth with term should be the priority at this point. If we want a bigger name, then Larsson would be a solid target, but anything more than some late picks and maybe a decent young player and I'd pass. Id like to see Tyler Tucker and Toropchenko be brought in for cheap, Tucker is a physical defensive defender who is on the outs in St Louis, and I think he would ball out in the playoffs.

We dont need anything extravagant this TDL, just stuff to help in the now and the later. Figure out the more glaring issues this offseason

If we paid a 4th or below for him I really would not care. As said before the player might be bad but at the same time Rielly does well with these guys

Schenn, Hainsey, Lybushkin all werent analytical darlings but Rielly managed to have good performances with each of them

Dont know why and dont question if it works go get em for cheap and play em together as if it works why not

As why would we want to split up Benoit-McCabe or Brodie-Liligren both those pairings have been good the problem is whose gonna play with Rielly

And to add a almost 30 goal scorer with him in the same pkg is worth a look
Feb. 28 at 10:43 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
What about Marino? I know.hes had a tough go in NJ but maybe there is something there?
Feb. 28 at 10:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
What about Marino? I know.hes had a tough go in NJ but maybe there is something there?

Hes been pretty bad this year like idk what happened but hes a problem and not in a good way on that blue line
Feb. 28 at 10:46 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Hes been pretty bad this year like idk what happened but hes a problem and not in a good way on that blue line

Buy low candidate then
Feb. 28 at 10:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 28 at 11:01 p.m.
Buy low candidate then

I dont see NJ moving him. They will probs stand pat and say this season's a fluke wait till next year. Heck might just trade for Markstrom

Like they already robbed Pitt lul

Also they already looking to extend rather than move Toffoli
Feb. 28 at 10:49 p.m.
Amirov Forever
A trade around Peeke and Texier could be an incredibly savvy move. Both guys are currently healthy scratches for the Jackets, and neither really should be. Texier is so craft and Peeke is a very solid, cheap, defensive defenseman with term. Checks a lot of the boxes, and would probably cost next to nothing
Feb. 28 at 10:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 28 at 10:57 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
A trade around Peeke and Texier could be an incredibly savvy move. Both guys are currently healthy scratches for the Jackets, and neither really should be. Texier is so craft and Peeke is a very solid, cheap, defensive defenseman with term. Checks a lot of the boxes, and would probably cost next to nothing

Peeke aint really good though and hes been available for months with teams not budging as CBJ still think hes somehow got actual value

Only way im taking Peeke is if CBJ eat half and throw in a nice prospect and we send em FC
Feb. 28 at 11:05 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Peeke aint really good though and hes been available for months with teams not budging as CBJ still think hes somehow got actual value

Only way im taking Peeke is if CBJ eat half and throw in a nice prospect and we send em FC

Idk how people have become so disillusioned about Peeke. How can you honestly tell me you'd pay for LYUBUSHKIN, but you won't even take Peeke unless you're getting assets back. Everything you think Boosh does is what Peeke does. He's physical, defensively sound, blocks shots, is good at clearing the crease, and has term for a reasonable amount of money. He is an excellent buy low candidate

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll