SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Feb. 29 at 10:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CameronSquires
Does this mean the Canes will give us a prospect since I believe they have to give something in the deal if I'm not mistaken?

(Probably not a great one but still, that's something.)

I dont think so I think they just helped with ret but maybe? idk
Feb. 29 at 10:39 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
What sheltered role is there for him?

We just overpayed for a rental who isn’t even good, payed for additional retention on that rental, and are more than likely about to play him higher in the lineup than he has any reason to be

That 3rd could’ve been used as part of a package for a real trade. We need to stop throwing away picks so flippantly

Im not going to defend the trade, Im not a Lyubushkin fan and we definitely paid more than I would like. Then again, I dont think this is the end of the world. All depends what comes next

If thats our only move then its a MAJOR L. If not, whatever
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Feb. 29 at 10:42 p.m.
McMann Season
Quoting: aadoyle
I dont think so I think they just helped with ret but maybe? idk

I have no idea, that's what I heard from a couple people, and it would make sense, (Josh Pillar, Stephan Noesen, Cole Brady last night)
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Im not going to defend the trade, Im not a Lyubushkin fan and we definitely paid more than I would like. Then again, I dont think this is the end of the world. All depends what comes next

With brad doing double ret this screams another move is in the works. As we could have easily fit him at 50% ret

If he’s not next to Mo we just wildly overpayed for a 7th D… this is brutal.

Like this is not a ton less than what Tanev just went for.
Feb. 29 at 10:47 p.m.
Relax. Boosh isn’t a terrible pickup.

And a 3rd and 6th in a weak draft class is not going to do any harm, even if there’s no other moves made (although I think there will be another trade before the deadline)

To put it in perspective, any dude you can claim off a waivers is gonna give you similar value to what a late 3rd round pick is gonna likely give you

Opportunity cost is another thing. Meaning, what else could that pick have been used for? But lots of rumours have pointed to Treliving burning up the phone lines asking about every Dman with a pulse so fair to assume that he felt this was the best move he could make with that pick.
aadoyle, Saskleaf, CameronSquires and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 29 at 10:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice

And a 3rd and 6th in a weak draft class is not going to do any harm, even if there’s no other moves made (although I think there will be another trade before the deadline)

To put it in perspective, any dude you can claim off a waivers is gonna give you similar value to what a late 3rd round pick is gonna likely give you

Opportunity cost is another thing. Meaning, what else could that pick have been used for? But lots of rumours have pointed to Treliving burning up the phone lines asking about every Dman with a pulse so fair to assume that he felt this was the best move he could make with that pick.

Im curious what the second move's gonna be as Leafs still have cap space and depending on factors it can be as high as 3m?

Do they make a move with CGY for Hanifin?

Do they trade for another forward or two?

Trade for more depth. As I doubt this is one and done as when you double ret its clear you have bigger plans
Feb. 29 at 10:49 p.m.
Go leafs go
I mean Rielly Boosh was a thing and it was pretty good, plus it leaves the door open for more potential moves. And we really didn’t pay that much for him (not nothing but not huge either). So I’ll say why not
Juice and Leafsfan98 liked this.
Feb. 29 at 10:50 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Im curious what the second move's gonna be as Leafs still have cap space and depending on factors it can be as high as 3m?

Do they make a move with CGY for Hanifin?

Do they trade for another forward or two?

Trade for more depth. As I doubt this is one and done as when you double ret its clear you have bigger plans

I think it will be a bigger guy like Hanifin seeing as thought the double retention gives us more cap space to work with since it brings Boosh below league min while also giving us a player. Feels like this is apart of something bigger. The thought of being subjected to more top pair Lyubushkin does frighten me though
Feb. 29 at 10:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So Sat TOR vs. NYR

Were all expecting Rempe vs. Reaves right?
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Feb. 29 at 10:51 p.m.
Go leafs go
Also lol that Kerfoot scored
Feb. 29 at 10:51 p.m.
McMann Season
If he’s not next to Mo we just wildly overpayed for a 7th D… this is brutal.

Like this is not a ton less than what Tanev just went for.

Flames got a promising prospect, a second, a possible third, NJ got a 4th.

a third is a lot less than a second in valuation and a 6th is worse than a fourth, not to mention the prospect.

This is a lot less than Tanev
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 10:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I think it will be a bigger guy like Hanifin seeing as thought the double retention gives us more cap space to work with since it brings Boosh below league min while also giving us a player. Feels like this is apart of something bigger. The thought of being subjected to more top pair Lyubushkin does frighten me though

Like to me the moment they double ret on this guy it screamed okay what else we cooking

As 1.375m was doable with 0 need for the Canes to come in

But that would have made the cap available less. Something else is in the works and its a wait and see
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 10:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
Also lol that Kerfoot scored

Was the dumbest play to lul. Breakaway SH top shelf

WHERE WAS THAT GUY HERE

EASY MONEY THOUGH AHHHHHHH
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 10:53 p.m.
So Sat TOR vs. NYR

Were all expecting Rempe vs. Reaves right?

Can confirm when he was asked about rempe Saturday night a devious smirk came across Reavo’s face.
Feb. 29 at 10:54 p.m.

His play would suggest otherwise. Dude has been terrible. A 3rd and a 6th is ludicrous. And I liked him as a Leaf, just to be clear.
Feb. 29 at 10:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Can confirm when he was asked about rempe Saturday night a devious smirk came across Reavo’s face.

Honestly for the health aspect I kind of hope Rempe gets HS. This kid looks like an assault victim

Like look what Reaves did to O'Brian, yes Rempe is taller but Mathieu Olivier beat his ass
Feb. 29 at 10:55 p.m.
His play would suggest otherwise. Dude has been terrible. A 3rd and a 6th is ludicrous. And I liked him as a Leaf, just to be clear.

You’re over reacting
CameronSquires and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 10:56 p.m.
McMann Season

A third and a sixth isn't very much. Coming from someone who overvalues draft picks
Feb. 29 at 10:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
In the end here's my opinion on the whole trade

Is Lybushkin the best option no. Does he work yes

Rielly and him have a history and results were fine. Rielly does well with guys like this dont question it just go with it

We still have our 1st to make other moves along with cap space. With Gio now out with Liligren and Timmins our blue line was so ****ing thin what choice did we have (MARNER WAS PLAYING D TONIGHT)

In the end as long as this aint the only move im good
CameronSquires and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 10:57 p.m.
You’re over reacting

I’m not. We’re likely either set to play him with Mo or we just payed a 3rd and 6th for a guy to sit in the press box and possibly come in and hopefully put up better results than he has been this season.

It’s a bad trade until the results prove otherwise.
Feb. 29 at 10:58 p.m.
McMann Season
In the end here's my opinion on it

Is Lybushkin the best option no. Does he work yes

Rielly and him have a history and results were fine. Rielly does well with guys like this so im good

We still have our 1st to make other moves along with cap space. With Gio now out with Liligren and Timmins our blue line was so ****ing thin what choice did we have (MARNER WAS PLAYING D TONIGHT)

In the end as long as this aint the only move im good

I see some people react like we gave up a first for boosh unretained. A third and a sixth for something we need rn is fine
Feb. 29 at 11:00 p.m.
Flames got a promising prospect, a second, a possible third, NJ got a 4th.

a third is a lot less than a second in valuation and a 6th is worse than a fourth, not to mention the prospect.

This is a lot less than Tanev

It’s really not, especially when considering the VAST difference in the quality of player.

A late 2nd and a 3rd are not much different. A 4th and 6th even less so. The prospect is the big difference here and a lot of people seem pretty ‘meh’ on him
Feb. 29 at 11:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I see some people react like we gave up a first for boosh unretained. A third and a sixth for something we need rn is fine

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1763414031144993124

Your prospect question
CameronSquires liked this.
Feb. 29 at 11:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Alright gonna have to study up on Kirill Slepets
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll