SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Feb. 29 at 11:01 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1763414031144993124

Your prospect question

Ive seen everything I need to see, we win the trade. Slepets is the next Kaprizov per sources
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 11:02 p.m.
McMann Season
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
It’s really not, especially when considering the VAST difference in the quality of player.

A late 2nd and a 3rd are not much different. A 4th and 6th even less so. The prospect is the big difference here and a lot of people seem pretty ‘meh’ on him

You just said 'it's similar to what Tanev got' this implies the return was similar regardless of the value.
Quoting: CameronSquires
A third and a sixth isn't very much. Coming from someone who overvalues draft picks

It’s not very much. Still way more than Lyubushkin had any right to return, and more than we should be spending on a rental player of that caliber.
Amirov Forever
Alright gonna have to study up on Kirill Slepets

He's a nobody, like Josh Pillar in the ROR trade. Not a big deal (although Carolina does know what theyre doing when it comes to drafting, so you never know)
Saskleaf liked this.
McMann Season
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1763414031144993124

Your prospect question

Awesome, Slepets for Hart
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 11:03 p.m.
McMann Season
It’s not very much. Still way more than Lyubushkin had any right to return, and more than we should be spending on a rental player of that caliber.

He addresses a current need, just chill and watch how he performs.
McMann Season
Alright gonna have to study up on Kirill Slepets

Same here
I’m not. We’re likely either set to play him with Mo or we just payed a 3rd and 6th for a guy to sit in the press box and possibly come in and hopefully put up better results than he has been this season.

It’s a bad trade until the results prove otherwise.

Nope. He’s an nhl defenceman and ours have been dropping like flies.

A 3rd is a meaningless price to play to get a warm body who can give typically consistent, albeit nothing special, performances each game on a squad that’s on a roll and needs to keep pressing forward.

He ain’t sitting in the press box
Saskleaf liked this.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Ive seen everything I need to see, we win the trade. Slepets is the next Kaprizov per sources

53 KHL GP this season 19 points and 8 goals

Is 5'11 165 pounds (gonna need to bulk up)

And is 24

Gonna have to read some scouting reports. As being an adult league and putting up decent results aint bad. Piller sure is gonna be the comparable but he was in juniors
Quoting: CameronSquires
You just said 'it's similar to what Tanev got' this implies the return was similar regardless of the value.

I said it isn’t much less than what Tanev got and it’s not. I never backpedaled on that…?
CameronSquires liked this.
Feb. 29 at 11:04 p.m.
Amirov Forever

And is 24

Gonna have to read some scouting reports

I vaguely remember seeing him in the WJ championships a few years ago. He was pretty good, but I doubt he'll ever leave the KHL
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 11:05 p.m.
McMann Season
I said it isn’t much less than what Tanev got and it’s not. I never backpedaled on that…?

Fair enough, I misquoted what you said that's my bad
Feb. 29 at 11:06 p.m.
McMann Season

And is 24

Gonna have to read some scouting reports. As being an adult league and putting up decent results aint bad. Piller sure is gonna be the comparable but he was in juniors

At least he is indefinite, Pillar last year expired in june or july so at least we have another possible prospect to look at.
Feb. 29 at 11:06 p.m.
McMann Season
I vaguely remember seeing him in the WJ championships a few years ago. He was pretty good, but I doubt he'll ever leave the KHL

You never know, stranger things have happened
Feb. 29 at 11:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Yea the size be a bit of a problem. He would really need to bulk up. But I believe they have his rights indefinitely per KHL stuff so someone to keep an eye on

If he bulks up I could see him come at 26.

But hey 19 points in an adult league not bad. Not great but not bad either.
Feb. 29 at 11:07 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
Nope. He’s an nhl defenceman and ours have been dropping like flies.

A 3rd is a meaningless price to play to get a warm body who can give typically consistent, albeit nothing special, performances each game on a squad that’s on a roll and needs to keep pressing forward.

He ain’t sitting in the press box

His performance this year has been like bottom of the barrel. He’s been legitimately terrible. And yes, that is a significant price to pay for a guy like that when we have limited capital to spend and bigger needs to address.

If he’s not sitting in the press box, we’re probably in trouble.
Feb. 29 at 11:11 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Is it safe to say Treliving is working on (or at the very least anticipating) making another move? It wouldn’t make much sense if he paid extra quality/quantity of picks for retention of Lyubushkin’s 2.75 if he weren’t planning on doing something else too.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 11:14 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: LeafsForLife
Is it safe to say Treliving is working on (or at the very least anticipating) making another move? It wouldn’t make much sense if he paid extra quality/quantity of picks for retention of Lyubushkin’s 2.75 if he weren’t planning on doing something else too.

Yes definitely. 50% would have been fine if he wasn’t planning on adding someone else
Feb. 29 at 11:15 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Here are some of my takeaways from the Lyubushkin trade:

- The double retention is strange, probably indicates a larger move will happen where we needed to save ~100k to make it work
- Losing that 3rd and 6th likely indicates that Robertson will be included in any significant trade as supplementary value. He and Timmins are the most likely bargaining chips
- We might not be adding another defenseman? Getting double retention on a guy only for him to be a scratch would be weird. I think the defense group is largely set, maybe we are adding a forward? Another center perhaps?
- Management does not give a rat's ass about analytics and its all about physicality / intangibles (see Ryan Reaves signing for further proof)

This trade will be much easier to evaluate next Friday when we know what the real purpose of this deal was
Saskleaf, CameronSquires and Juice liked this.
Feb. 29 at 11:17 p.m.
Amirov Forever
One thing I didnt mention is that the pick is next years third, so we keep our pick in this draft which is huge IMO. Next years class projects to be weaker than this years (obviously its still too early to tell, but still)
Feb. 29 at 11:21 p.m.
McMann Season
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yes definitely. 50% would have been fine if he wasn’t planning on adding someone else

Exactly my thoughts.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 11:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
First look at Lybushkin in a leafs jersey

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.dailyfaceoff.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2024%2F02%2FIlya-Lyubushkin-scaled.jpg&w=3840&q=75
Saskleaf and LeafsForLife liked this.
Feb. 29 at 11:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So per CJ Leafs may do more 3-way trades

Makes sense due to the 2m in cap left over and potentially wanting to do more moves.
Feb. 29 at 11:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Per Jfresh

Boosh be a physical depth defenceman. Has put up good D results earlier in his career (saw that with Rielly) and is actually not a bad puck mover, but one of the most victimized blueliners off the rush in the past three seasons and takes too many penalties. With a little lesser role then in ANA and not needing to babysit so much should see results improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eCaHyc9f8&ab_channel=LeafsFan416

I really want to see one of these happen again lul
Feb. 29 at 11:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Here are some of my takeaways from the Lyubushkin trade:

- The double retention is strange, probably indicates a larger move will happen where we needed to save ~100k to make it work
- Losing that 3rd and 6th likely indicates that Robertson will be included in any significant trade as supplementary value. He and Timmins are the most likely bargaining chips
- We might not be adding another defenseman? Getting double retention on a guy only for him to be a scratch would be weird. I think the defense group is largely set, maybe we are adding a forward? Another center perhaps?
- Management does not give a rat's ass about analytics and its all about physicality / intangibles (see Ryan Reaves signing for further proof)

This trade will be much easier to evaluate next Friday when we know what the real purpose of this deal was

CJ confirmed Leafs be eyeing more double ret moves

Something else is cooking but who mmmmmmmmmmmm need now lul

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll