Forums/Armchair-GM

Splashing Cash

Created by: Matt1567
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 28, 2024
Published: Feb. 28, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think Montreal should take whatever they can get for Josh Anderson and move on, he's clearly not a fit now, and won't be in a few years. That being said, if he's gone someone has to replace him, and unless Montreal end up with Celebrini in the draft they're gonna have to replace him via trade or free agency. With Anderson gone the team has just shy of 23 million dollars in cap space, and I think they should look to bring in two roster players.

1. A 2nd/3rd line forward. Looking at whose available in free agency this summer, guys that interest me include Daniel Sprong, Sean Monahan, and Jake DeBrusk. Sprong's a player I've liked since before he was drafted into the NHL, and now he's about to turn 27, on his 5th NHL team, and has only played 327 games across his 8 years in the NHL, that being said, over his last 2 seasons he's played a total of 125 games, scoring 37 goals and 47 assists for a total of 84 points, which over an 82 game season is a 24 goal, 55 point rate, not too bad at all. He's a guy that can play wing on both sides, can play basically anywhere in the lineup, and I think would be a great 2nd/3rd line winger to have on most teams in the league, and is my ideal signing. My alternative option to Sprong is Jake DeBrusk, whose a year older than Sprong, but can also play wing on both sides. 3 times in DeBrusk's career he has scored 25+ goals, and has a ton of playoff experience, with 73 playoff games in which he has 22 goals and 14 assists. My one concern with DeBrusk is that I think he'll end up getting a bigger contract wherever he signs, and that I doubt it's in Montreal given he's been a Bruin his whole career. I think if the Canadiens can move on from Christian Dvorak and bring Sean Monahan back to Montreal to replace him on a reasonable contract (3y x 5mil ish) then they should, but if Monahan wants to cash in on one last major contract I'd pass, he's a good player but Montreal have to keep the future in mind and I don't want them to be in a similar situation to the one they're currently in 3/4 years from now, where they are stuck with a bunch of overpaid veteran forwards that don't have a spot going forward. Another option if Dvorak is moved would be Tommy Novak, but I'm a bit skeptical on him still as he only made the jump to the NHL full time last year and is gonna be 27 in april.

2. A 2nd/3rd pair RHD. Similar to what Montreal already have in David Savard, I think if Montreal brought in another guy who can help mentor and challenge the young defensemen already on the roster, while being able to play at a high level and be the replacement for David Savard if he gets traded at the deadline or leaves via free agency. Guys like Sean Walker and Matt Roy are options but I feel they've got too much hype around their names that'll drive their value up too high for my liking, and don't want to give out a massive contract to anyone who's not apart of the core going forward. That being said, if Brett Pesce hits the market this summer the Canadiens should be all over him, I'd even be willing to trade a pick or something to acquire his negotiating rights to bring him in. Pesce is an elite defensive defenseman, one of the best there is right now, and while he only has 8 points this season he has some offensive upside, scoring 30 points last season, and being on pace for over 30 points in 4 seasons. I think a contract similar to what Devon Toews got from Colorado is a realistic estimate of what Pesce gets (7 years, 7.25 mil per), and while he turns 30 in november I think pesce would help the team both now and in the future, being the #1 guy on the backend while hutson and reinbacher develop before hopefully surpassing Pesce. A few cheaper alternatives are Dylan DeMelo and Alexandre Carrier, more similar to David Savard than Pesce but would be serviceable guys for a few years until the younger guys take over.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$900,000
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$1,500,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,000,000
7$7,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2024 4th round pick (LAK)
Additional Details:
Not necessarily to LA, but they don't have a single goalie under contract next season, and have taken shots on older goalies before, so I think LA is a possible destination for Allen
LAK
  1. Allen, Jake ($1,925,000 retained)
MTL
  1. Podkolzin, Vasily [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Podkolzin is an RFA this summer, whose not got a chance in the NHL this year, and turns 23 this summer, a very similar situation to Kravtsov, who left the Canucks for the KHL when he was 23 after 3 years in north america, the only difference is that Podkolzin has been given more of a chance, playing 118 games in the NHL already, putting up 18 goals, 15 assists for 33 points, while Kravtsov had just 12 points in 64 NHL games, spread across 3 seasons, and 2 teams. I feel like a change of scenery could be great for Podkolzin, and the new management in Montreal have shown they're willing to take on a young forward who has upside and might just need a new opportunity to blossom into the player they were expected to become.

*there are probably picks involved in this deal, this is just a vague idea*
VAN
  1. Harris, Jordan
Additional Details:
Montreal have too many young defensemen, someone's gotta go, and Harris is rumoured to be on the market. Most of the canucks defensemen are out of contract this summer, and Harris is a young defenseman that won't get consistent playing time in Montreal because of the amount of guys they have that are in the same situation as him. In Vancouver he'd be able to earn a spot in the lineup on a new team where he may have a longer-term future than in Montreal, and if it doesn't work out he only makes 1.4 million dollars and is out of contract after the season, so the Canucks wouldn't be stuck with him.
MTL
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Get some value by moving up in the draft, clears cap space and a roster spot for a free agent
NSH
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
Josh Anderson is not worth his contract most games, and this season he'd probably miss an open net when the puck is on the goalline, but when he's on his game he's a really good top 6 forward. He's a physical presence, with upside of being a 25 goalscorer, and his speed is underrated. Idk why but Josh Anderson seems like he'd be a good fit in Nashville to me, and I'd be willing to trade him to move up from a 3rd rounder to a 2nd.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$87,000,000$76,238,750$1,022,500$3,977,500$10,761,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RD
UFA
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
RFA
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 28 at 10:31 p.m.
Jake Allen to LA makes sense, but I don't see Montreal trading him.
Vancouver shouldn't trade Podkolzin.
Podkolzin is better than Harris.
Feb. 28 at 10:33 p.m.
BRUCE THERE IT IS
Canucks could probably just sign someone as good if not better than Harris in FA for free rather than give up on Podkolzin
theleano1 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 10:36 p.m.
PDG over PDO
Can't see Vancouver giving up on Podkolzin especially for a LHD
Feb. 28 at 10:40 p.m.
Matt1567
Quoting: Vancity2196

Allens been in rumors and it's clear he's not part of the future, unless they move primeau but I don't think that they should do that unless the offer is too good to pass up on, but someone's gotta go, and it's ain't gonne be Monty
Feb. 28 at 10:50 p.m.
Harrrrrrddddd pass from the Canucks
Feb. 28 at 10:52 p.m.
Matt1567
Quoting: Vancity2196

Quoting: cooliny
Canucks could probably just sign someone as good if not better than Harris in FA for free rather than give up on Podkolzin

Quoting: theleano1
Can't see Vancouver giving up on Podkolzin especially for a LHD

Harris is the same age as Podkolzin, I'm not doubting that Podkolzin has a higher ceiling, but right now Harris is the better player. If a deal like this were to happen it'd probably not be a straight 1-for-1 swap. And the canucks have have only got Hughes Soucy Poolman and Juulsen under contract for next season, so there's room for Harris if they want him. Podkolzin's been getting less NHL games each season since he came into the league, and this year it makes sense that he's not playing as the team is good and should be in the AHL if he's not beneficial to the Canucks, but the fact he struggled last year after a decent rookie season and hasn't been able to produce as well in the AHL as he did previously is a bit concerning if you ask me. I still believe there's a good player in there but there's a reality where he chooses to go back to Russia this summer rather than re-signing in Vancouver, because I think he deserves a chance in the NHL and the fact the canucks haven't gave him even one game yet this season could lead to him choosing to sign elsewhere.
Feb. 28 at 11:25 p.m.
PDG over PDO
Quoting: Matt1567
Harris is the same age as Podkolzin, I'm not doubting that Podkolzin has a higher ceiling, but right now Harris is the better player. If a deal like this were to happen it'd probably not be a straight 1-for-1 swap. And the canucks have have only got Hughes Soucy Poolman and Juulsen under contract for next season, so there's room for Harris if they want him. Podkolzin's been getting less NHL games each season since he came into the league, and this year it makes sense that he's not playing as the team is good and should be in the AHL if he's not beneficial to the Canucks, but the fact he struggled last year after a decent rookie season and hasn't been able to produce as well in the AHL as he did previously is a bit concerning if you ask me. I still believe there's a good player in there but there's a reality where he chooses to go back to Russia this summer rather than re-signing in Vancouver, because I think he deserves a chance in the NHL and the fact the canucks haven't gave him even one game yet this season could lead to him choosing to sign elsewhere.

Well he is a RFA so he can't sign else where, the plan for Podkolzin has been pretty clear from the start and it's the same approach they did with Hoglander last year, have him playing first line minutes in the AHL worry about learning the details of the North American game and find confidence in his game, he's been doing really well in the AHL this year and is on track with what we want him to do, Harris is a nice piece but is below Soucy as a LHD, wouldn't be socked to see one of Cole or Zadrov or even both back next year, i can see why think it would work for Vancouver but we rather just hold onto our piece.
Feb. 28 at 11:56 p.m.
BRUCE THERE IT IS
Quoting: Matt1567

You could say the exact same thing about Hoglander last season, and look where he is now. The Canucks are doing the same thing with Podkolzin
Feb. 29 at 12:26 a.m.
Go Habs Go
I'd like to see Anderson try to shorten his stick a couple inches. Get lower for playing the puck and make it easier to handle in tight.
Losing a little reach should also naturally encourage getting in close with the body.
He can skate a circle or drive the net while protecting the puck out wide, but when he's shooting he has less aim control and difficulty with passes in close.
I'm no expert. I have to assume somebody more knowledgable then me has already gone through some of these ideas with him and they were rejected (players are picky/touchy about their gear), but I really think it is something he should try, even if just in practice over the offseason. At this point, what could it hurt?

I'd also like someone to remind him that he's a powerful, big bodied skater. He doesn't need to be fancy.
Get the puck. Get the puck to the net. If anyone tries to stop you from doing either of those things, plow through them.

If he's willing to change the way he plays and try different ways to be effective, we can afford to be a little patient.

The same goes for Gallagher. He needs to change the way he plays and try different ways to be effective.
Stop trying to stick handle in traffic. Stop trying to play at a pace that exceeds your physical ability.
Slow it down, move the puck, and get your linemates involved.
It hurts me to watch him hunched over and out of breath 20 seconds into a shift, while he tries to race defenders down ice, inevitably gets surrounded, and ties himself into knots trying to keep control of the puck in a mess of bodies and sticks.
Feb. 29 at 12:57 a.m.
Can't see the Canucks being interested in that swap. Podkolzin was rushed into the NHL and put in a spot where he wasn't properly able to adjust to the North American style of play. Same thing happened with Hoglander, and look at what a year in the AHL allowing him to adjust and round out his game did. Same deal with Podkolzin, he's been great in the AHL this year and will get another shot at the NHL next year. Harris also doesn't really fill a need for Vancouver. Canucks have their first pair set with Hughes/Hronek, and will most likely sign one of Cole/Zadorov to stay around (guessing Zadorov with how vocal management was about liking his game and targeting him for over a year). That leaves one spot on the 2nd pair, which will be filled by a free agent signing (guessing they'll go hard after Tanev given Hughes told management he's a guy to target). Then they've got Soucy/Juulsen on the 3rd pair, so there wouldn't be a spot in the top 6 for Harris.
Feb. 29 at 7:21 a.m.
Save the Kings
KIngs dont need jake allen he is way too much and the kings have phoenix stopley under roster and erik portillo will most likely be ready for next season.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll