Forums/Armchair-GM

Trade Deadline

Created by: TheWolfe
Team: 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 28, 2024
Published: Feb. 29, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Wings need to shore up the blue line a bit if they want a shot to make some real noise in the playoffs. Yotes need NHL-caliber talent, not more draft picks. Seems like it'd be a win for both teams.
Trades
ARI
  1. Berggren, Jonatan
  2. Holl, Justin
Additional Details:
Wings get a legit 2nd pair right shot D that can play the body. Yotes get a body on D that's under team control for a few more seasons and an NHL-ready forward prospect.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$80,780,973$0$3,350,000$2,719,027
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NTC
UFA - 8
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$5,100,000$5,100,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
C
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 29 at 1:45 p.m.
That would hurt. Berggren is expected to take a lot of minutes next year maybe hang onto Holl until the summer and send a 3rd
Feb. 29 at 1:47 p.m.
dont see holl wanting to be 6/7 d for 2 more years, and dont see AZ really wanting him. how about AZ retains 50% and leave out holl
Feb. 29 at 1:48 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: mmccRed198913
That would hurt. Berggren is expected to take a lot of minutes next year maybe hang onto Holl until the summer and send a 3rd

I'd hate to see him go too, but I get the impression Steve isn't 100% sold on him and it sure seems like Bergys not in a rush to sign an extension. We have other forward prospects that can step in over the next couple years and have a glaring need at 2nd pair RD. Seems like a waste to not at least try to make a little run before the sand runs out of the hourglass on Mo and Ray's ELCs.
Feb. 29 at 1:49 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: bwhsocal
dont see holl wanting to be 6/7 d for 2 more years, and dont see AZ really wanting him. how about AZ retains 50% and leave out holl

I'd argue he'd get minutes in the desert.
Feb. 29 at 1:50 p.m.
Quoting: TheWolfe
I'd hate to see him go too, but I get the impression Steve isn't 100% sold on him and it sure seems like Bergys not in a rush to sign an extension. We have other forward prospects that can step in over the next couple years and have a glaring need at 2nd pair RD. Seems like a waste to not at least try to make a little run before the sand runs out of the hourglass on Mo and Ray's ELCs.

We're hearing that from Pagnotta, not exactly reliable. I watched him with Kasper last night. Those 2 should be together on a line next year if not blown away. Dumba helps but not something I'd ship out Berggren for.
Feb. 29 at 1:52 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: mmccRed198913
We're hearing that from Pagnotta, not exactly reliable. I watched him with Kasper last night. Those 2 should be together on a line next year if not blown away. Dumba helps but not something I'd ship out Berggren for.

It'd be a risk for sure. But I feel like they have to do SOMETHING for the blue line at the deadline. We really gonna trot out a Chiarot/Petry pairing against the Rangers/Bruins/Cats?
Feb. 29 at 1:58 p.m.
Detroit is VERY likely to be in the playoffs. What about Dumba 50% retained and someone like O'Brian as a depth forward for the 24 1st.

A late first for the defensemen that Detroit really needs and a tough as nails O'B to soak up bullets in the playoffs as a depth insert guy.
Feb. 29 at 1:59 p.m.
I'd argue he'd get minutes in the desert.

Id argue back they would rather play and develop any of their multiple D prospects over him. Im not saying he isnt decent but if he is fine w being a vet bottom pair role, sure Id take him and still even do 50% on dumba.
Feb. 29 at 2:02 p.m.
This is dumb.

Wings will maybe make some noise in the playoffs but they don't need to add marginal pieces. They either add a major piece or keep Berg.
Feb. 29 at 2:03 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: Marked_Difference
Detroit is VERY likely to be in the playoffs. What about Dumba 50% retained and someone like O'Brian as a depth forward for the 24 1st.

A late first for the defensemen that Detroit really needs and a tough as nails O'B to soak up bullets in the playoffs as a depth insert guy.

Could work, though they kinda already have a few guys like that (Kostin, Czarnik, etc.) Depth forwards really don't move the needle too much for the Wings because they have trouble fitting in all the ones they currently have. Hence why Bergy has been riding the bus for GR. 1st rounder for a rental D like Dumba is a bit steep. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. But he's not without his faults (just ask Wild fans).
Feb. 29 at 2:03 p.m.

The Wings are over achieving this season, not a cup favorite. Sitting in the wild card is hardly a reason to go against the long rebuild and start dumping prospects and picks. Dumba doesn’t make them that much more of a threat, and there are internal options coming through the pipeline.
PuzzledActuary liked this.
Feb. 29 at 2:04 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: PuzzledActuary
This is dumb.

Wings will maybe make some noise in the playoffs but they don't need to add marginal pieces. They either add a major piece or keep Berg.

20 min TOI average and 2-3 hits/blocks average per game isn't exactly what I'd call a "marginal piece"
Feb. 29 at 2:05 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: CoachCoach
The Wings are over achieving this season, not a cup favorite. Sitting in the wild card is hardly a reason to go against the long rebuild and start dumping prospects and picks. Dumba doesn’t make them that much more of a threat, and there are internal options coming through the pipeline.

Not on the right side. And you've gotta pay Mo and Ray next year. Even with the money coming off the books and the cap going up, things are gonna get tighter when you're not paying those guys peanuts.
Feb. 29 at 2:10 p.m.
20 min TOI average and 2-3 hits/blocks average per game isn't exactly what I'd call a "marginal piece"

He's a marginal piece, and a UFA. No reason to trade a promising controlled young forward for a couple extra wins in the playoffs, at best.

Dumb trade.
Feb. 29 at 2:12 p.m.
Not on the right side. And you've gotta pay Mo and Ray next year. Even with the money coming off the books and the cap going up, things are gonna get tighter when you're not paying those guys peanuts.

On the right side currently is Mo, Holl, Petry with Ghost/Chiarot playing some off hand.

Coming up through the pipeline are ASP, Gibson, Ant Johansson, and Tuo. If one of the last three hits, the RHD is set for the foreseeable future (barring an upgrade trade).

Why dump a first for a rental D that maybe helps them win a round but won’t be a main component in any deep run this season and will most likely be a FA.

When the cap rises, FA signing prices rise.
Feb. 29 at 2:19 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: CoachCoach
On the right side currently is Mo, Holl, Petry with Ghost/Chiarot playing some off hand.

Coming up through the pipeline are ASP, Gibson, Ant Johansson, and Tuo. If one of the last three hits, the RHD is set for the foreseeable future (barring an upgrade trade).

Why dump a first for a rental D that maybe helps them win a round but won’t be a main component in any deep run this season and will most likely be a FA.

When the cap rises, FA signing prices rise.

So right side you listed can be summed up like this:

Franchise player, a bum who can't crack the lineup, old slow guy who's best hockey is behind him, offensive D who's had a good year but ain't exactly winning a Norris, and a guy who really should play on the left side.

I do keep forgetting ASP is a righty, but he's 2 years away at best. Tuo seems like he's doing well, but do we *really* think he's gonna contribute NHL minutes? I'm unconvinced.

Have the Wings overachieved this year? Sure. But sometimes you hit on a scratcher. Maybe Bergy is too high a price to pay, but it seems silly to not try and address an obvious need when you're in a position to make a run to the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade. Otherwise you just end up like Buffalo.
Feb. 29 at 2:24 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
He's a marginal piece, and a UFA. No reason to trade a promising controlled young forward for a couple extra wins in the playoffs, at best.

Dumb trade.

I'm not saying Bergys a bum, but lets maybe pump the brakes a bit on what an undersize skill forward still playing in the AHL at 23 years old is and isn't. Could he be a 20G scorer/50-60 pt guy at some point? Possibly, but I'm not gonna bet my next paycheck on it. Would be nice to see him get ice at the NHL level on a Wings squad with an actual forward core and not the corpses of Holland's signings and waiver wire scraps.
Feb. 29 at 2:30 p.m.
I'm not saying Bergys a bum, but lets maybe pump the brakes a bit on what an undersize skill forward still playing in the AHL at 23 years old is and isn't. Could he be a 20G scorer/50-60 pt guy at some point? Possibly, but I'm not gonna bet my next paycheck on it. Would be nice to see him get ice at the NHL level on a Wings squad with an actual forward core and not the corpses of Holland's signings and waiver wire scraps.

lol and trading him for Dumba is gonna accomplish that?

If he's not traded for an actual helpful piece, he'll be getting plenty of NHL time next year.
Feb. 29 at 2:33 p.m.

The whole reason Detroit and Berggren are supposedly having problems is because of how clogged they are at forward.

Don't really need any more depth forwards.
TheWolfe liked this.
Feb. 29 at 2:42 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
lol and trading him for Dumba is gonna accomplish that?

If he's not traded for an actual helpful piece, he'll be getting plenty of NHL time next year.

No, I'm saying it'd be nice to see what that actually looks like if he doesn't get traded. 3rd line next to Copp and Fabs/Veleno would be interesting.

Dumba is never gonna win the Conn Smyth, but are you really gonna argue he wouldn't be an upgrade over the corpse of Petry? Wings forward core has more scoring as a complete unit than anyone in the league. The glaring weakness for this team all year has been the middle of the D core. You're in a position to add thanks to guys like Mo and Ray who are underpaid because their ELCs aren't up yet. I'd like to see them at least take a shot at making a run while that's still the case.
Feb. 29 at 2:43 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: WingsMJN2965
The whole reason Detroit and Berggren are supposedly having problems is because of how clogged they are at forward.

Don't really need any more depth forwards.

Yeah that's basically it. The counterpoint to keeping Bergy is that there's going to be more space available next year with a few vet deals expiring. Time will tell who grabs those opportunities out of camp.
Feb. 29 at 2:47 p.m.
No, I'm saying it'd be nice to see what that actually looks like if he doesn't get traded. 3rd line next to Copp and Fabs/Veleno would be interesting.

Dumba is never gonna win the Conn Smyth, but are you really gonna argue he wouldn't be an upgrade over the corpse of Petry? Wings forward core has more scoring as a complete unit than anyone in the league. The glaring weakness for this team all year has been the middle of the D core. You're in a position to add thanks to guys like Mo and Ray who are underpaid because their ELCs aren't up yet. I'd like to see them at least take a shot at making a run while that's still the case.

This team, with or without Dumba, will make the exact same amount of noise. They are not in the position to "take a shot". They're having a nice year and will continue to develop. Dumba does nothing for them.

Keep your assets or make a big splash, like a Buch or Chychrun or a Zegras (ew). That's how asset management works.

This would be the equivalent of Holland trading a 2nd and Janmark for Erik Cole, or Jankrok and 2nd for Legwand - teams that had no real shot to make any noise but traded valuable picks and prospects with potential.

I'd like to see Berg on a 3rd line with Soder and Veleno, eventually Kasper.
Feb. 29 at 3:18 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
This team, with or without Dumba, will make the exact same amount of noise. They are not in the position to "take a shot". They're having a nice year and will continue to develop. Dumba does nothing for them.

Keep your assets or make a big splash, like a Buch or Chychrun or a Zegras (ew). That's how asset management works.

This would be the equivalent of Holland trading a 2nd and Janmark for Erik Cole, or Jankrok and 2nd for Legwand - teams that had no real shot to make any noise but traded valuable picks and prospects with potential.

I'd like to see Berg on a 3rd line with Soder and Veleno, eventually Kasper.

You can't guarantee you'll be in this position next year or the year after. Will Kane be back and average a PPG next year? Will Larks play most the year without getting hurt? Will your 3rd string goalie step in and stabilize the ship after Husso pulls his sack muscle again? Who knows, nothing is guaranteed in this league.

I'm not saying sell the whole farm for a rental, but god help Lyon if we really trot out Petry on the 2nd pair against Florida or Boston come April.
Feb. 29 at 3:21 p.m.
You can't guarantee you'll be in this position next year or the year after. Will Kane be back and average a PPG next year? Will Larks play most the year without getting hurt? Will your 3rd string goalie step in and stabilize the ship after Husso pulls his sack muscle again? Who knows, nothing is guaranteed in this league.

I'm not saying sell the whole farm for a rental, but god help Lyon if we really trot out Petry on the 2nd pair against Florida or Boston come April.

Unless you're adding a major player or two, this team is likely losing in the 1st round regardless, that's the point.

You're simply not understanding how asset management works....that's okay.

I can guarantee you this team will continue to develop and trend in the right direction (i.e. making the playoffs maybe this year and many more going forward).
Feb. 29 at 3:57 p.m.
So right side you listed can be summed up like this:

Franchise player, a bum who can't crack the lineup, old slow guy who's best hockey is behind him, offensive D who's had a good year but ain't exactly winning a Norris, and a guy who really should play on the left side.

I do keep forgetting ASP is a righty, but he's 2 years away at best. Tuo seems like he's doing well, but do we *really* think he's gonna contribute NHL minutes? I'm unconvinced.

Have the Wings overachieved this year? Sure. But sometimes you hit on a scratcher. Maybe Bergy is too high a price to pay, but it seems silly to not try and address an obvious need when you're in a position to make a run to the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade. Otherwise you just end up like Buffalo.

Allow me to sum up the right side since you seem a little confused.

Mo : franchise player and long term answer at the position

Holl : overpaid stop gap brought in. Does fine with what’s asked, not going to help, not going to hurt. Not a negative value in Detroit unless it starts blocking progress. Most likely gone in 2-3 years upon ASPs arrival.

Petry : retirement tour making a fraction of his contract. With Holl, rotating in and out of the lineup. Very easily the number 6-7-8 next year unless his Detroit experience isn’t how he wants to end it, accepting a trade for one last deep run. Gone after next season at the latest, probably around when Tuo/Wallinder gets a look.

ASP : looks like a flat out stud. Even if he doesn’t keep the same trajectory, as the number 2 behind Seider and being an offensive menace while being different than SY’s defensive style (Seider 6’4/ Edvinsson 6’6/ Wallinder 6’4/ Gibson, Ant, etc. mammoths).

Gibson/Tuo/Ant : all three are big, all three vary slightly in play styles. Just need one to be a 3RHD anything else is gold. Gibson seems most likely, Ant if he keeps developing, Tuo seems like Griffins captain / call up fodder.

At no point is adding Dumba for 20-30 games worth giving up Berggren or a 1st. What’s amazing is that a majority of people said Detroit would be scrapping with MTL for last place in the Atlantic while boasting a top prospect pool.

Months later they should be panic buying at the TDL in their first playoff appearance or risk falling back into the cellar? Their projection is going up, not down. If they were a team towards the end of constant success, then sure.

This will be a great experience for the Wings, and in the offseason certain aspects will be worked out. Maybe in the summer Holl or Maata is shipped out for a FA improvement (Matt Roy). Save the assets and come back next season with
Walman-Seider
Edvinsson-Roy
Chiarot- Petry
(Still having the first and or Berg)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll