Ceci and Edmontons 1st versus Grushnikov and Dallases 2nd

Created by: sensonfire
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 1, 2024
Published: Mar. 1, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1763606650517094470

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/flames-turned-down-1st-round-pick-for-tanev-before-trade-to-dallas
Trades
DAL
  1. Grushnikov, Artem
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (DAL)
CGY
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
CGY
  1. Forbort, Derek
  2. Zboril, Jakub
  3. 2025 1st round pick (BOS)
  4. 2026 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
2027 2nd round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. Hanifin, Noah ($2,475,000 retained)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$83,251,666$0$212,500$248,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 1 at 1:25 p.m.
TrevorA
That’s the rumour. Conroy turned down a late-1st because we would have had to take a player with term back (like Cody Ceci or Ryan Johansson) and because this years Draft is Weak, so he chose to get Tanev 2.0 = Grushnikov instead

We need a replacement RD and Centre, but I guess he figures he’ll find better solutions elsewhere and didn’t want to take on their CapHits

He must really see and like something in Grushnikov. Makes sense as a Potential D-Partner for Brzustewicz though
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 1 at 1:37 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: KingofRnR
That’s the rumour. Conroy turned down a late-1st because we would have had to take a player with term back (like Cody Ceci or Ryan Johansson) and because this years Draft is Weak, so he chose to get Tanev 2.0 = Grushnikov instead

We need a replacement RD and Centre, but I guess he figures he’ll find better solutions elsewhere and didn’t want to take on their CapHits

He must really see and like something in Grushnikov. Makes sense as a Potential D-Partner for Brzustewicz though

What would you rather have ?
Mar. 1 at 1:41 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire

I don’t think taking bad salary back for Calgary matters

I believe they valued Grushnikov and a 2nd instead of a late first.
KingofRnR and sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 1 at 1:43 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: sensonfire

Personally I would have rather had the 1st + Ceci or RyJo but I wouldn’t have retained unless I got a 2nd/3rd or B Prospect/Reclamation Project like Holloway or Broberg included

At least we’d have a needed replacement player to remain competitive that we could potentially use and/or increase their value and flip with retention at next years deadline for another asset

That said, Grushnikov is rated a lot higher than I expected and most guys on here look at points as the be all and end all as to whether a player is any good, which is complete nonsense

The knock so far on Brzustewicz is whether he has a 2-way game and whether he will become a Tyson Barrie, John Klingberg, Adam Boqvist or Tony DeAngelo = All Offence and Lacking Defence Style Player, so to secure a Left Shot Tanev to shelter him Defensively makes sense too

Doesn’t help us any time soon and as they say, it’ll take years to determine I f this was a good trade for the Flames. Could you imagine if Tanev signs with the Flames again this Summer in Free Agency though!?
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 1 at 1:47 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Celtics21
I don’t think taking bad salary back for Calgary matters

I believe they valued Grushnikov and a 2nd instead of a late first.

I think they just didn't want to trade Tanev to Edmonton. If that late 1st came from any other team they'd have taken it
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 1 at 1:49 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Personally I would have rather had the 1st + Ceci or RyJo but I wouldn’t have retained unless I got a 2nd/3rd or B Prospect/Reclamation Project like Holloway or Broberg included

At least we’d have a needed replacement player to remain competitive that we could potentially use and/or increase their value and flip with retention at next years deadline for another asset

That said, Grushnikov is rated a lot higher than I expected and most guys on here look at points as the be all and end all as to whether a player is any good, which is complete nonsense

The knock so far on Brzustewicz is whether he has a 2-way game and whether he will become a Tyson Barrie, John Klingberg, Adam Boqvist or Tony DeAngelo = All Offence and Lacking Defence Style Player, so to secure a Left Shot Tanev to shelter him Defensively makes sense too

Doesn’t help us any time soon and as they say, it’ll take years to determine I f this was a good trade for the Flames. Could you imagine if Tanev signs with the Flames again this Summer in Free Agency though!?

It took you 2 days to start overrating the **** out of Grushnikov.
Mar. 1 at 1:59 p.m.
I take the package they got over Ceci and a 1st. The draft class this season leans towards players who are going to need 3 - 5 years to develop, they got a kid that has been in that development cycle for a couple years already that counters what they have in their D pipeline already with Poirier, Brzustewicz, Morin, Kylington to an extent. If you are trading for a player that was drafted outside of the 1st round, Dallas is a pretty good place to make a deal with Stankoven, Robertson, Hintz, Bertucci all being picks outside of the 1st round. I also really really trust Conroy's scouting staff and believe they value this player above picking late in the 1st.
Mar. 1 at 2:16 p.m.
Edited Mar. 1 at 2:27 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10

The difference between the 60th pick and the 21st pick in this upcoming draft is probably a consideration to this.
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 1 at 2:16 p.m.
TrevorA
I think they just didn't want to trade Tanev to Edmonton. If that late 1st came from any other team they'd have taken it

They would have likely declined TOR’s 1st as well

I don’t know much about Grushnikov, I’m going off what’s being said and the new reports coming out on him since the trade. Obviously if Conroy turned down a 1st, he values Grushnikov quite highly

You’re just biased, but who isn’t on here
sensonfire and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Mar. 1 at 2:19 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
They would have likely declined TOR’s 1st as well

I don’t know much about Grushnikov, I’m going off what’s being said and the new reports coming out on him since the trade. Obviously if Conroy turned down a 1st, he values Grushnikov quite highly

You’re just biased, but who isn’t on here

Or he would have gotten crucified by Calgary media and fans for giving up a guy like Tanev to edmonton.

But you come out with this "1st was offered" and then you can convince people that Grush is worth a lot more than he is. I'd be shocked if he became an NHL regular
Mar. 1 at 2:22 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
The difference between the 60th pick and the 21st pick in this upcoming draft is probably a consideration to this.

Ceci would have been a fine add for Calgary, they'll need dman to fill the void and it's not like they're an attractive FA destination right now that's gonna be getting dman in free agency. I can't think of a team with more trade requests, refusals to resign even at top dollar, and top guys leaving in UFA than recent calgary

Tkachuk, Toffoli, hanifin, Zadorov, Lindholm, Backlund demanded a trade, Gaudreau, etc
Mar. 1 at 2:24 p.m.
TrevorA
Or he would have gotten crucified by Calgary media and fans for giving up a guy like Tanev to edmonton.

But you come out with this "1st was offered" and then you can convince people that Grush is worth a lot more than he is. I'd be shocked if he became an NHL regular

What am I supposed to do and say lol. I already said the Trade sucked and gave DAL an A+ and CGY a D Grade. I was expecting more, but now I gotta try and find the positives and try to make sense of Conroy’s decision

Obviously I’d like to know it all, like you do, but I’m not gonna pretend that I do. I don’t think any of us on here have a clue tbh. We’re all just guessing and pulling 💩 out of our 🫏’s on here
Mar. 1 at 2:26 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
What am I supposed to do and say lol. I already said the Trade sucked and gave DAL an A+ and CGY a D Grade. I was expecting more, but now I gotta try and find the positives and try to make sense of Conroy’s decision

Obviously I’d like to know it all, like you do, but I’m not gonna pretend that I do. I don’t think any of us on here have a clue tbh. We’re all just guessing and pulling 💩 out of our 🫏’s on here

**** happens. I may be setting myself up for disappointment with a toffoli return if the winger market is too crowded because of some hefty returns last year.
Mar. 1 at 2:29 p.m.
TrevorA
**** happens. I may be setting myself up for disappointment with a toffoli return if the winger market is too crowded because of some hefty returns last year.

Yeah I was thinking that last night when I was seeing your hopeful returns and expectations on Toffoli, but why wouldn’t you want an amazing return. It’s not being delusional or unrealistic, it’s wanting the best possible return. That’s it, that’s all
Mar. 1 at 2:32 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Yeah I was thinking that last night when I was seeing your hopeful returns and expectations on Toffoli, but why wouldn’t you want an amazing return. It’s not being delusional or unrealistic, it’s wanting the best possible return. That’s it, that’s all

I saw just how crowded the winger market may be with Henrique, Vatrano, Senko, etc etc and I may have to come down a bit.

Tough to see how a 35 goal pace scorer doesn't get a 1st but again I may be wrong. if he's not going to be resigned I think I'd be happy moving him for any return.

Ideally targets are Turcotte, Spencer Knight, or a 1st but who knows
Mar. 1 at 2:35 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

I think the Markstrom return if it happens is going to have people VERY disappointed.

On tanev the gap was 1st in expectation vs 2nd+Prospect in reality.

Seeing expectations of an unretained markstrom for Holtz+1st+Casey or Mercer in some places is going to have flames fans livid if the return comes in line with typical goalie trades
Mar. 1 at 2:56 p.m.
TrevorA
I saw just how crowded the winger market may be with Henrique, Vatrano, Senko, etc etc and I may have to come down a bit.

Tough to see how a 35 goal pace scorer doesn't get a 1st but again I may be wrong. if he's not going to be resigned I think I'd be happy moving him for any return.

Ideally targets are Turcotte, Spencer Knight, or a 1st but who knows

Yeah I was pissed when we didn’t get a 1st or at least 2nd + Sharangovich for Toffoli, given his relatively low Cap Hit, but it was in the off-season vs, the TDL where you can retain 50% on him and get him retained by an additional 25% on top of that, so timing is important too
Mar. 1 at 2:59 p.m.
TrevorA
I think the Markstrom return if it happens is going to have people VERY disappointed.

Seeing expectations of an unretained markstrom for Holtz+1st+Casey or Mercer in some places is going to have flames fans livid if the return comes in line with typical goalie trades

Yeah I’d like that Trade to happen now too while Markstrom’s value is at its highest and NJD is still willing to offer Holtz. If Toffoli gets traded, Holtz gets the opportunity to play more and increase his value

Holtz for Markstrom seems fair, it’s the $1.5-$2mil/yr in retention that’s worth a 1st or a 2nd + 2nd + 3rd/Prospect

Don’t see Casey or Mercer being offered, but Bahl maybe. I’d like to send Hanifin to NJD too, especially over BOS or TBL, but we’ll see what happens
dgibb10 liked this.
Mar. 1 at 3:01 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Yeah I was pissed when we didn’t get a 1st or at least 2nd + Sharangovich for Toffoli, given his relatively low Cap Hit, but it was in the off-season vs, the TDL where you can retain 50% on him and get him retained by an additional 25% on top of that, so timing is important too

TDL historically is the highest prices for rentals.

Yegor is doing about how I expected with more opportunities and a shooting% bounceback (and likely even a bit of a heater that he'll come down from). very similar analytics to last 2 years. I think most NJD fans said he'd be a good pickup. (I thought Conroy got fleeced with 2 year term walking him right to UFA, I would have done either 1 to maintain RFA control or 3+ years).

Same with the Meier trade. We tried to tell them no mercer no holtz, no luke, no nemec, but that Shakir was a stud prospect (he looks fantastic and I've seen him as high as a top 20 prospect in some places now that he's getting more attention, and I think it's the same with Casey), and that Zetterlund was a rock solid youngster.
KingofRnR liked this.
Mar. 1 at 3:04 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Yeah I’d like that Trade to happen now too while Markstrom’s value is at its highest and NJD is still willing to offer Holtz. If Toffoli gets traded, Holtz gets the opportunity to play more and increase his value

Holtz for Markstrom seems fair, it’s the $1.5-$2mil/yr in retention that’s worth a 1st or a 2nd + 2nd + 3rd/Prospect

Don’t see Casey or Mercer being offered, but Bahl maybe. I’d like to send Hanifin to NJD too, especially over BOS or TBL, but we’ll see what happens

Allegedly from what I've heard Holtz for Markstrom with retention was the offer on the table that was very close to being done. Which falls in line with goalie values, the Meier discussions, and Holtz approximate valuations. I very honestly think if Calgary moved Markstrom 50% retained for Holtz, they will be VERY happy with their decision in a few years, or even sooner.

I can't see Bahl being moved unless Hanifin is involved because we can't be subtracting from our blueline.

I imagine if the sources are true and retention isn't involved, Holtz will also not be involved. Although I could be wrong
Mar. 1 at 3:10 p.m.

I think the open challenge is trades are hard because prospect and salary valuations aren’t a simple chart.

It’s why when someone goes this prospect sucks because your minor league system is rated lower is kind of fodder unless you’ve watched them. You can watch CHL games if you pay the money. Same with AHL.

The hard part is so much of this is driven by a couple of insiders and one of the more prominent one has a rep of being lazy with inaccurate assessments from actual scouts.

I see Lohrei as a prime example. His skating is being questioned by Pronman, yet I’ve watched the guy at all levels and he creates space better than most young defenseman I’ve watched offensively that don’t have a top 10 pick pedigree. He’s consistently beating players to spots. He can have a degree of clumsiness short area, but I think that’s more decision making and experience than physical skill set, Is he gods gift to defenseman? Nope. Does he have similar or better physical skills than players rated as first rounders in this draft (post 20)? I believe so and I think so does Sweeney.
dgibb10 liked this.
Mar. 1 at 3:16 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I think the open challenge is trades are hard because prospect and salary valuations aren’t a simple chart.

It’s why when someone goes this prospect sucks because your minor league system is rated lower is kind of fodder unless you’ve watched them. You can watch CHL games if you pay the money. Same with AHL.

The hard part is so much of this is driven by a couple of insiders and one of the more prominent one has a rep of being lazy with inaccurate assessments from actual scouts.

I see Lohrei as a prime example. His skating is being questioned by Pronman, yet I’ve watched the guy at all levels and he creates space better than most young defenseman I’ve watched offensively that don’t have a top 10 pick pedigree. He’s consistently beating players to spots. He can have a degree of clumsiness short area, but I think that’s more decision making and experience than physical skill set, Is he gods gift to defenseman? Nope. Does he have similar or better physical skills than players rated as first rounders in this draft (post 20)? I believe so and I think so does Sweeney.

Also every prospect is going to come under a microscope the second he gets traded, (and generally inflating his value). I watch Shakir SHOOT up the prospect lists the second he was traded for Meier. If you asked flames fans 1 week ago if they'd pay a 2nd for Grush they'd have said not a chance
Mar. 1 at 3:59 p.m.
Also every prospect is going to come under a microscope the second he gets traded, (and generally inflating his value). I watch Shakir SHOOT up the prospect lists the second he was traded for Meier. If you asked flames fans 1 week ago if they'd pay a 2nd for Grush they'd have said not a chance

Totally agree with you, but a majority of flames fans would have never watched him play to give an educated opinion
dgibb10 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll