Forums/Armchair-GM

UFA shopping

Created by: BubbleGumPlant
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 11, 2024
Published: Mar. 11, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Habs have a ton of cap space. Doesn’t hurt to bring in vets short-term on a 3 year contract, like Monahan annd Marchessault and even overpay them if needed. Yes, the Habs will have the most expensive 4th line in the league. But it’s time to take a big step forward next season.

Armia, Dvorak, Evans and Savard are UFA 2025. So there’s still plenty of cap to extend Slafkovsky and Guhle. In terms of developing prospects, after the 2025 TDL or during the 2025 offseason, there will be some open roster spots:
Armia - Heineman, Mesar or another prospect to play on 3rd line
Dvorak/Evans - Beck to play 4th line center and pk
Savard - Barron gets a shot, Mailloux plays some games if there are injuries
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,500,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,750,000
3$7,450,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$83,500,000$84,538,750$1,022,500$3,977,500-$1,038,750
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$7,450,000$7,450,000
RW, LW
UFA
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, LW, RW
UFA
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
RFA
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 11 at 8:36 p.m.
Habs 2010
I just learned today that Monahan and Toffoli were ex teammates in junior. Would be neat to bring them both back to MTL, but they'd probably want 4 year deals I think.

Marchessault would also be good, but I'm not sure how realistic it is to get him over Toffoli.
BubbleGumPlant and Billy316 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 8:42 p.m.
Le patriote
Why not keep going into the rebuild way and sign NCAA UFA like Collin Graf?
Mar. 11 at 8:44 p.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: Shanesaw9
I just learned today that Monahan and Toffoli were ex teammates in junior. Would be neat to bring them both back to MTL, but they'd probably want 4 year deals I think.

Marchessault would also be good, but I'm not sure how realistic it is to get him over Toffoli.

It would be fun to bring them both but I wonder how many years or how much they will ask for.

Caufield Suzuki Slakovsky
Newhook Dach Toffoli
Roy Monahan Armia
RHP Evans Anderson
Gallagher

*** We need to part way with Dvorak if we wish to sign both tho
BubbleGumPlant and Billy316 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 8:58 p.m.
Quoting: habitantlecolon

Why not both? Our forward depth after Slafkovsky and Roy is slim pickings. If Habs pick another defenseman in this year’s draft, we will need another prospect like Graf.
I’m fine with giving up a pick to move Dvorak to a team like Arizona or San Jose if it means we use that move to pick up Graf for free.
habitantlecolon liked this.
Mar. 11 at 8:59 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

Graf is gonna have 32 teams making offers. Will need a desirable destination and a guarantee of a top 9 slot right away
Mar. 11 at 9:02 p.m.
Le patriote
Edited Mar. 11 at 9:07 p.m.
Quoting: BubbleGumPlant
Why not both? Our forward depth after Slafkovsky and Roy is slim pickings. If Habs pick another defenseman in this year’s draft, we will need another prospect like Graf.
I’m fine with giving up a pick to move Dvorak to a team like Arizona or San Jose if it means we use that move to pick up Graf for free.

Mainly due to the contract limit.

Here is a list of youngsters of the Pronman list of Free Agent from NCAA, CHL and Euro leagues

Projected Middle of the Lineup Player
1. Collin Graf, RW, Quinnipiac-ECAC

Projected to play NHL games
2. Maxim Tsyplakov, RW, Spartak-KHL
3. Oscar Eklind, LW, Lulea-SHL
4. Jacob Quillan, C, Quinnipiac-ECAC
5. Cooper Black, G, Dartmouth-ECAC
6. Victor Ostman, G, Maine-Hockey East

Has a chance to play games
7. Samuel Mayer, LHD, Ottawa-OHL
8. Christian Fitzgerald, C, Wisconsin-Big Ten
9. Drew Bavaro, RHD, Notre Dame-Big Ten
10. Riese Gaber, RW, North Dakota-NCHC
11. Jakub Rychlovsky, LW, Bili Tygri-Czechia
12. Dylan Wendt, RW, Western Michigan-NCHC
13. Carter King, C, Denver-NCHC
14. Joshua Eernisse, RW, Michigan-Big Ten
15. John Prokop, LHD, Union-ECAC
16. Daniil Gutik, RW, Admiral-KHL
17. Ben Kraws, G, St. Lawrence-ECAC

Long shot to play games
18. Marcus Sylvegard, RW, Vaxjo-SHL
19. Marcus Hardegard, LHD, Lulea-SHL
20. Zac Funk, LW, Prince George-WHL
21. Karsen Dorwart, C, Michigan State-Big Ten
22. Jaxon Nelson, C, Minnesota-Big Ten
23. Jacob Bengtsson, LHD, Boston College-Hockey East
24. Justin Hryckowian, C, Northeastern-Hockey East
25. Luke Krys, RHD, Providence-Hockey East
26. Arttu Hyry, RW, Karpat-Liiga
27. Dalton Bancroft, RW, Cornell-ECAC !!!
28. Bret Link, RW, Colorado College-NCHC
29. Andrei Chivilyov, C, SKA-KHL
30. T.J. Hughes, C, Michigan-Big Ten
31. Lynden Breen, C, Maine-Hockey East
32. Connor Punnett, RHD, Oshawa-OHL
33. Simon Tassy, RW, Wisconsin-Big Ten
34. Joey Larson, RW, Michigan State-Big Ten
35. Gleb Veremyev, LW, Colorado College-NCHC

For me, HABS need to check :

Collin Graf, RW, Quinnipiac-ECAC
Maxim Tsyplakov, RW, Spartak-KHL
Christian Fitzgerald, C, Wisconsin-Big Ten
John Prokop, LHD, Union-ECAC
Marcus Sylvegard, RW, Vaxjo-SHL
Dalton Bancroft, RW, Cornell-ECAC
Andrei Chivilyov, C, SKA-KHL
Mar. 11 at 9:03 p.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: dgibb10
Graf is gonna have 32 teams making offers. Will need a desirable destination and a guarantee of a top 9 slot right away

Habs have a deep link actor with Hughes and I hope He uses it to bring Collin and offer him a chance.
Mar. 11 at 9:12 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Quoting: BubbleGumPlant

Not really Just too young to help right now
Owen Beck is Brad Marchand type Pest dont sleep on him just cause he can take Faceoffs.
He's there in the top 3 with F.Xhekaj and Mesar so odds are we convert him to Wing where he'll shine as a Pest Goal Scorer

We Got a 2 year Gap Though that needs filled at least
BubbleGumPlant liked this.
Mar. 11 at 9:19 p.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: Billy316
Not really Just too young to help right now
Owen Beck is Brad Marchand type Pest dont sleep on him just cause he can take Faceoffs.
He's there in the top 3 with F.Xhekaj and Mesar so odds are we convert him to Wing where he'll shine as a Pest Goal Scorer

We Got a 2 year Gap Though that needs filled at least

Should we play Beck at the NHL level and then bring one of Graf, Fitzgerald to Laval and give them premium attention?
Billy316 and BubbleGumPlant liked this.
Mar. 11 at 9:29 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Should we play Beck at the NHL level and then bring one of Graf, Fitzgerald to Laval and give them premium attention?

Quinn Hutson over Graf, Fitzgerald or any other guy
Tuch-Q.Hutson have been L.Hutson support in front of the net and along the boards all along.
Q.Hutson has more Hat Tricks then his Brother and Thrives beside Tuch who's a Great Net Front Guy

Put those 2 in Laval and hope that Translates cause if it does we got a great bottom 6 duo to support our 3rd or 4th line Centers.
The thing i love the most is they're both as likely to score a short handed goal as PP because Tuch and Q.Hutson lead one of the top PK units in the NCAA

Beck i'd leave in Laval if we want him as a Center
If we are Smart and develop him at Wing i think he's a much better option them Ylonen or RHP at the very worst
Why? he's there to Win Faceoffs and support Young Centers which is a nice added bonus as Beck takes draws with both hands at a high rate.
His compete levels high and beside a Dach or Newhook he could thrive . with Monahan between the two who knows how much success they could have

It all depends where you see Beck Fitting in
To me he's ahead everywhere but his Center responsibilities as he's not found his balance there and is all or nothing (either all out offense or Defense)
Where as at Wing he's like Marchand he's just always on you, always checking you, always mouthing off trying to bait you into a penalty.
He's a very unique player who if he can pull all of these traits together at the NHL level could become an All Star Level Player One Day with the right Partners in the right position.

But as far as AHL Depth for call ups who might be ready sooner then later
sign Tuch and his long time partner Q.Hutson
Those other guys are good but this duo's Chemistry puts them ahead of the game and better gambles IMO
Mar. 11 at 9:30 p.m.
Le patriote
Quinn Hutson over Graf, Fitzgerald or any other guy
Tuch-Q.Hutson have been L.Hutson support in front of the net and along the boards all along.
Q.Hutson has more Hat Tricks then his Brother and Thrives beside Tuch who's a Great Net Front Guy

Put those 2 in Laval and hope that Translates cause if it does we got a great bottom 6 duo to support our 3rd or 4th line Centers.
The thing i love the most is they're both as likely to score a short handed goal as PP because Tuch and Q.Hutson lead one of the top PK units in the NCAA

Beck i'd leave in Laval if we want him as a Center
If we are Smart and develop him at Wing i think he's a much better option them Ylonen or RHP at the very worst
Why? he's there to Win Faceoffs and support Young Centers which is a nice added bonus as Beck takes draws with both hands at a high rate.
His compete levels high and beside a Dach or Newhook he could thrive . with Monahan between the two who knows how much success they could have

It all depends where you see Beck Fitting in
To me he's ahead everywhere but his Center responsibilities as he's not found his balance there and is all or nothing (either all out offense or Defense)
Where as at Wing he's like Marchand he's just always on you, always checking you, always mouthing off trying to bait you into a penalty.
He's a very unique player who if he can pull all of these traits together at the NHL level could become an All Star Level Player One Day with the right Partners in the right position.

But as far as AHL Depth for call ups who might be ready sooner then later
sign Tuch and his long time partner Q.Hutson
Those other guys are good but this duo's Chemistry puts them ahead of the game and better gambles IMO

I hate Tuch soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.
Billy316 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 9:50 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
I hate Tuch soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.

Why,whats to hate
Just listen to his Coach talk about him
Pandolfo's a Stanley Cup Champ and one of the NCAA's best Coaches.
His first move? Took Tuch from 4th line and put him on 2nd with Q.Hutson

Q.Hutson, L.Hutson and Tuch are the big 3 for the Final Four NCAA run last year going from a non playoff team to there overnight with a few big changes.
This year with Cellebrini added that kid has taken off as the Center for Quinn and Tuch who are now the top line Wingers for the Top NCAA Center on a Top 5 NCAA Team

Tuch's like his Brother, slow developmentally but once he catches up he's well worth the wait.
I know his first 2 years were BS and he was playing like he wanted to be a career bottom 6 AHL player
But Coach Pandolfo put the A on him making him his guy and positioning him to step up his game
Guess what? Tuch did just that every step of the way since getting a Coach of Value with something to Offer and insights into what it takes to win a Stanley Cup.

If it helps you though he makes Q.Hutson a Hat Trick Capable player at any level.
He plays that slingshot role where he can launch Q.Hutson out on a Breakaway while covering his tail with a give and go when Tuch stops the play with Q.Hutson taking off.
Defenders follow the Puck with Tuch delaying at the Blue line then he feeds it back a streaking Q.Hutson

My Point is They have their thing, their thing that Lane Hutson is very much used to and built off of.
Cheapest ,Smartest option is the most obvious one
Mar. 11 at 10:13 p.m.
Le patriote
Why,whats to hate
Just listen to his Coach talk about him
Pandolfo's a Stanley Cup Champ and one of the NCAA's best Coaches.
His first move? Took Tuch from 4th line and put him on 2nd with Q.Hutson

Q.Hutson, L.Hutson and Tuch are the big 3 for the Final Four NCAA run last year going from a non playoff team to there overnight with a few big changes.
This year with Cellebrini added that kid has taken off as the Center for Quinn and Tuch who are now the top line Wingers for the Top NCAA Center on a Top 5 NCAA Team

Tuch's like his Brother, slow developmentally but once he catches up he's well worth the wait.
I know his first 2 years were BS and he was playing like he wanted to be a career bottom 6 AHL player
But Coach Pandolfo put the A on him making him his guy and positioning him to step up his game
Guess what? Tuch did just that every step of the way since getting a Coach of Value with something to Offer and insights into what it takes to win a Stanley Cup.

If it helps you though he makes Q.Hutson a Hat Trick Capable player at any level.
He plays that slingshot role where he can launch Q.Hutson out on a Breakaway while covering his tail with a give and go when Tuch stops the play with Q.Hutson taking off.
Defenders follow the Puck with Tuch delaying at the Blue line then he feeds it back a streaking Q.Hutson

My Point is They have their thing, their thing that Lane Hutson is very much used to and built off of.
Cheapest ,Smartest option is the most obvious one

I've seen last season to hate how he missed offensive touch and got some cement foot too many times. He might be a bit better than a few NCAA players on the two-way game but he's barely average. A late bloomer for sure, but I wouldn't lose a contract spot for him at all at the moment.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll