Forums/Armchair-GM

cap circumvention

Created by: BigVuVu
Team: 2023-24 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 12, 2024
Published: Mar. 12, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So Landeskog may be magically healthy for playoffs and cleared to play. Avs doing it too. What a shocker.
Where is Bettman? Remember when he vetoed TDA's trade last year because of the "supposed attempt to circumvent"? Where is he now?
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$83,500,000$87,962,500$637,500$0-$4,462,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$12,600,000$12,600,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
G
RFA - 1
$2,650,000$2,650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 12 at 5:47 a.m.
Aren't the reports saying it wouldn't be until May? There's also a stark contrast for Landeskog since he hasn't played in 2 years - clearly unable to play
Mar. 12 at 6:27 a.m.
Quoting: pavelisgoat
Aren't the reports saying it wouldn't be until May? There's also a stark contrast for Landeskog since he hasn't played in 2 years - clearly unable to play

Bednar said there's a possibility of Landeskog playing.

My guess is that his "timetable" was "ready for playoffs" all the time. They knew and they are pulling Kucherov
Mar. 12 at 7:50 a.m.
Edited Mar. 12 at 8:01 a.m.
Two points:

1. https://www.nhl.com/news/colorado-avalanche-gabriel-landeskog-injury-status-update
‘“He's not going to come back too early -- it's just not going to happen,” Bednar said. “He has a timeline that says, 'You're not coming back before this date, doesn't matter how good you feel,' and we're sticking to that.”’

Surgery was on May 10, 2023. Timetable was 12-16 months, meaning the absolute earliest he’ll be back is mid-May. Dropping a player into the conference finals (if they get there) after he’s been out for two years is far from “intentional cap circumvention”.

If he does come back, he’ll be the first athlete to successfully return to a major-league level after having that surgery. Just getting back on the ice is a win. This has potential to be a Joni Pitkanen situation, to put it in familiar terms.

2. If the LTIR business is allowed under the CBA and other playoff teams are using it to their advantage, why wouldn’t a competitive GM use every available advantage to make his team better?
NMAvsFan, TJTwolf, Anus_McLeod and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 12 at 8:22 a.m.
Representing the 505
Edited Mar. 12 at 9:17 a.m.
Is this some sort of joke? Do people ever get tired of whining about this? Apparently not. They played all of last season WITHOUT him on LTIR in case he did come back but now they're gaming the system? Also, get your facts straight: he isn't coming back any sooner than mid-May and it is extremely unlikely he comes back for these playoffs at all. Given the timetable for his recovery, it's practically guaranteed he isn't coming back before next season. He has a serious knee injury and highly risky cartilage replacement and hasn't played for two years. There is still the very real possibility he never plays a game of NHL hockey again but you think this is "cap circumvention." You're accusing every member of the FO and all the players (Landy included) of engaging in a conspiracy and of lying about his injury. Give me break and get a life.
Mar. 12 at 8:43 a.m.
Quoting: NMAvsFan
Is this some sort of joke? Do people ever get tired of whining about this? Apparently not. They played all of last season WITHOUT him on LTIR in case he did come back but now they're gaming the system? Also, get your facts straight: he isn't coming back any sooner than mid-May and it is extremely unlikely he comes back for these playoffs at all. Given the timetable for his recovery, it's practically guaranteed he isn't coming back before next season. He has a serious knee injury and highly risky cartilage replacement and hasn't played for two years. There is still the very real possibility he never plays a game of NHL hockey again but you think this is "cap circumvention." Give me break and get a life.

They also had a chance to do this in 2021-22, when he had arthroscopic surgery before TDL, and they didn’t. Instead they traded locker-room favorite Tyson Jost to make room for their additions. Landeskog didn’t come back until game 1 of the playoffs, but they wanted to make sure they could get him in sooner if he was ready. And they still won.
TJTwolf, NMAvsFan, Android_H_Jones and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 12 at 9:00 a.m.
All I'm going to do is LOL incredulously at this. tears of joy
Mar. 12 at 9:49 a.m.
Quoting: TJTwolf
All I'm going to do is LOL incredulously at this. tears of joy

of course you are, fans of every team that circumvents are so blind lol
Mar. 12 at 9:52 a.m.
Quoting: NMAvsFan
Is this some sort of joke? Do people ever get tired of whining about this? Apparently not. They played all of last season WITHOUT him on LTIR in case he did come back but now they're gaming the system? Also, get your facts straight: he isn't coming back any sooner than mid-May and it is extremely unlikely he comes back for these playoffs at all. Given the timetable for his recovery, it's practically guaranteed he isn't coming back before next season. He has a serious knee injury and highly risky cartilage replacement and hasn't played for two years. There is still the very real possibility he never plays a game of NHL hockey again but you think this is "cap circumvention." You're accusing every member of the FO and all the players (Landy included) of engaging in a conspiracy and of lying about his injury. Give me break and get a life.

a guy who complains about others complaining with a reason says "get a life" what a comedy
Mar. 12 at 10:05 a.m.
It's more likely Landeskog's career is over than it is he plays in the playoffs. This isn't a TB or Vegas situation. It's a timeline that has been stated for a long time.

And as others have stated, the earliest he could return is the third round. How effective do you think he'd even be after not playing hockey at all for two years and coming off multiple surgeries and rehabs?

Every now and then LTIR is used for what it is intended. This is a pretty clear case of that.
Mar. 12 at 11:20 a.m.
Quoting: BigVuVu

Nah! You're the one blinded by your bitter tears. I am making a nice pot of assam with them and it tastes so sweet! tears of joy
Android_H_Jones liked this.
Mar. 12 at 11:47 a.m.
Bednar said there's a possibility of Landeskog playing.

My guess is that his "timetable" was "ready for playoffs" all the time. They knew and they are pulling Kucherov

This is 100% wrong. The timetable for the earliest possible return would be May 10th, and the organization has repeatedly stressed they want him back permanently not to rush him. Also how the f are they pulling a Kucherov with him, when he has literally not played for 2 seasons?
TJTwolf and Android_H_Jones liked this.
Mar. 12 at 2:48 p.m.
So Landeskog may be magically healthy for playoffs and cleared to play. Avs doing it too. What a shocker.

Chris MacFarland playing the really, really, really long game. Like so long that they purposefully ended their chance to repeat as champions just so they could fool the NHL.

This morning, from Pierre LeBrun:

Quoting: TheAthletic
The Colorado Avalanche’s captain hasn’t played since raising the Stanley Cup over his head two years ago.

And there’s still no exact timeline for Gabriel Landeskog’s return. There’s hope he could be back sometime in this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs, but there’s no guarantee of it.

“Everything is going good. It’s just that this is such a unique, unfortunate injury,” Avalanche general manager Chris MacFarland told The Athletic this past weekend. “We’re in uncharted territory. It’s a long recovery. They told us 12 to 16 months.”

Landeskog had cartilage transplant surgery on his right knee last May, so he’s currently 10 months into that recovery. And as much as the Avs have Stanley Cup aspirations again this spring, the 31-year-old Landeskog also has five years on his contract after this one, and the team isn’t going to let short-term goals affect the bigger picture in his recovery. They’re playing the long game with him, especially given that he’s had three procedures on the same knee over the last few years, although the last one last May was a completely different thing.

So yes, he could be back in these playoffs, but he won’t be rushed back.

“For a hockey player, there’s no info on this (type of surgery and recovery),” MacFarland said. “It’s unique. And Gabe is doing great, but there’s still a lot of runway before we know, unfortunately, when he’s going to be good to go.

“In terms of the recovery process, everything is good. The procedure is good, his checkups have been good. He’s feeling good. So there’s hope, but I’d be lying if I said the when and where and how the next few months are going to look. I don’t know. I don’t think anybody knows.”

It's almost like your outrage is completely manufactured and based on nothing.
TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 12 at 7:23 p.m.

OP blinded by their team’s good fortunate. Such a disadvantage when your best players are healthy…
Mar. 13 at 9:48 a.m.
Quoting: TJTwolf
Nah! You're the one blinded by your bitter tears. I am making a nice pot of assam with them and it tastes so sweet! tears of joy

yeah so you are a fan of possible cheater team gtfo
Mar. 14 at 3:06 a.m.
yeah so you are a fan of possible cheater team gtfo

You do know that it isn't cheating and perfecctly legal and within the rules? Cry me a river, it's tasting all the sweeter!
Mar. 14 at 1:25 p.m.
SunnyvaleSamsquanche
Op shares the same IQ as the guy in my Avatar pic. Landy hasnt played in 2 years but this is cheating.... is it cheating if he doesnt play at all? Or you gonna cry next year or all through these playoffs. Quit wiping front to back Chachee
TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 14 at 4:19 p.m.
Quoting: MrLaheySays
Op shares the same IQ as the guy in my Avatar pic. Landy hasnt played in 2 years but this is cheating.... is it cheating if he doesnt play at all? Or you gonna cry next year or all through these playoffs. Quit wiping front to back Chachee

another clown claiming he's not playing lol cry me a river
Mon. at 6:03 p.m.
another clown claiming he's not playing lol cry me a river

Who's the clown now?
TJTwolf liked this.
Tue. at 10:31 p.m.
Quoting: Android_H_Jones
Who's the clown now?

you
Wed. at 1:47 p.m.