Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs next year with ideal offseason

Created by: MitchJr
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 23, 2024
Published: Mar. 23, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Top 4 RHD & 2C need to be our major FA signings; Bush re-signed to play with Reilly (proven he just needs a stay at home partner). Cowan breaks in after stellar junior year giving us the most balanced lines we’ve had in Marner / Matthews / Nylander era.
Murray finally healthy on a one year show me deal; Hildebeast in minors in case of injury.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
2$2,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,000,000
1$1,000,000
3$2,250,000
6$5,750,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$87,599,334$0$0$100,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, LW
UFA
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$904,667$904,667
LW, C
RFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, C
RFA
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
RFA
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 23 at 6:12 p.m.
If Jarnkrok is on the first line, let alone on this team still, you're not tasting the playoffs
Mar. 23 at 6:20 p.m.
Quoting: Brad_Treliving
If Jarnkrok is on the first line, let alone on this team still, you're not tasting the playoffs

All feedback is welcome but clearly we don’t see eye to eye on player valuations. I could play with Marner & Matthews and they’d still be a top 10 (maybe top 20 b/c I’ve lost a step) line in the league. Jarnkrok is solid NHL vet that dan pot 15-20 goals & 40-50 points, play on PK, and has shown he can play in top 6 when called upon. I’d rather upgrade top 4D & 2C then worry about who plays with 2 of the best players in the league
Mar. 23 at 6:22 p.m.
Quoting: MitchJr
All feedback is welcome but clearly we don’t see eye to eye on player valuations. I could play with Marner & Matthews and they’d still be a top 10 (maybe top 20 b/c I’ve lost a step) line in the league. Jarnkrok is solid NHL vet that dan pot 15-20 goals & 40-50 points, play on PK, and has shown he can play in top 6 when called upon. I’d rather upgrade top 4D & 2C then worry about who plays with 2 of the best players in the league

Jarnkrok plays a soft game and disappears in the playoffs, no thanks for a guy who has no business even being on the fourth line
Mar. 23 at 6:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Is Stephenson really a 2C? Signing a 30 year to six year contract is really iff? Even 30 year old Roy for five is iffy.

You can't really want the current Leaf Matt Murray? Other 1m goalies available.
Mar. 23 at 6:32 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Is Stephenson really a 2C? Signing a 30 year to six year contract is really iff? Even 30 year old Roy for five is iffy.

Appreciate the feedback and to each his own, but you get hung up on term. Could be less term but those details are for the actual professionals to work out. Nylander is signed until he’s 37 🤷🏻
Stephenson is a 2C imo especially when Willy is driving the line. I’d absolutely give Murray a shot - assuming he’s healthy
Mar. 23 at 6:52 p.m.
Almost $6M to Stephenson is pretty bold, not a great deal for a guy that’s better suited as a high end 3C than a 2C.

Liljegren is gonna get more than $2.25M and Roy could be higher than $6M since he’ll be the best right handed defender on the free agent list so idk where you’re getting the cap from.

That goaltending tandem is also horrific. You better be happy with Hildeby playing close to 30 games if that’s what you wanna go with - both Woll and Murray are way too fragile to be starters let alone the 2 main options in net.

This team scares me more than the 23/24 roster.
Mar. 23 at 6:59 p.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_92
Almost $6M to Stephenson is pretty bold, not a great deal for a guy that’s better suited as a high end 3C than a 2C.

Liljegren is gonna get more than $2.25M and Roy could be higher than $6M since he’ll be the best right handed defender on the free agent list so idk where you’re getting the cap from.

That goaltending tandem is also horrific. You better be happy with Hildeby playing close to 30 games if that’s what you wanna go with - both Woll and Murray are way too fragile to be starters let alone the 2 main options in net.

This team scares me more than the 23/24 roster.

To each his own; 2C’s don’t grow on trees and their aren’t many of those either. Could be undervaluing Roy & Stephenson - time will tell 🤷🏻.
Woll / Murray as a tandem is fine; Woll mossed half the year injured and Sammy fell off a cliff in the first half and we are fine.
Mar. 23 at 7:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If thats the tandem I am very concerned

Both guys have an injury history

0 need to rush Cowan

And we dont need Stephenson
Mar. 23 at 7:07 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
If thats the tandem I am very concerned

Both guys have an injury history

0 need to rush Cowan

And we dont need Stephenson

Thx for feedback.

If Murray is healthy (blessed by Leafs medical staff) - o have no worries 🤷🏻. Woll missed half the year and Sammy was waived and we’re still on 105 pt pace; I think you’re overreacting.
We need a 2C imo - might not be Stephenson but I think he’d mesh well with Willy.
How are we rushing Cowan? Players from his draft year already in the nhl; he’s torching the O and he can’t play with the Marlies next year + it’s not like we need him to produce right away (one of the benefits of having high $ superstar forwards). Same as Knies did this year, I think very good chance he’s on team next year
Mar. 23 at 7:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Thx for feedback.

If Murray is healthy (blessed by Leafs medical staff) - o have no worries 🤷🏻. Woll missed half the year and Sammy was waived and we’re still on 105 pt pace; I think you’re overreacting.
We need a 2C imo - might not be Stephenson but I think he’d mesh well with Willy.
How are we rushing Cowan? Players from his draft year already in the nhl; he’s torching the O and he can’t play with the Marlies next year + it’s not like we need him to produce right away (one of the benefits of having high $ superstar forwards). Same as Knies did this year, I think very good chance he’s on team next year

Murray has not been healthy for a long time. Hes sat out a bunch had surgeries and every other thing. This is someone you cannot bank on to be a backup rn for a team wanting a cup. Especially when you have Woll whose also dealt with injury issues. This is a tandem that is one injury away from a potential disaster.

TOR does not need a 2c. JT can fill the role for next season then you can worry about it or heck he might be brought back for way less. Stephenson just does not suit this team nor would I want to give that deal as the dropoff could come any moment.
Mar. 23 at 7:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal

He's borderline but for a team like TOR dont make sense at that spot. 3c sure but 2c no
Mar. 23 at 7:16 p.m.
Murray has not been healthy for a long time. Hes sat out a bunch had surgeries and every other thing. This is someone you cannot bank on to be a backup rn for a team wanting a cup. Especially when you have Woll whose also dealt with injury issues

TOR does not need a 2c. JT can fill the role for next season then you can worry about it. Stephenson just does not suit this team rn

Agree to disagree; JT still a very valuable piece but not able to play 2C this year nevermind next.
And Leafs have proven (other teams too) unless you have a stud goalie (<10 probably in the league) goaltender by committee can work. Murray has a whole year to get healthy - if he’s good to go, I’d happily sign him to compete with Woll as starter. If not, we sign a different FA vet - not too worried
Mar. 23 at 7:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Agree to disagree; JT still a very valuable piece but not able to play 2C this year nevermind next.
And Leafs have proven (other teams too) unless you have a stud goalie (<10 probably in the league) goaltender by committee can work. Murray has a whole year to get healthy - if he’s good to go, I’d happily sign him to compete with Woll as starter. If not, we sign a different FA vet - not too worried

JT has slowed down one season and all of a sudden cant play 2c when he's played that all through his career good one

He's fine in the position one slow season wont stop that. He gets 2024-2025 then u can look for a replacement after
Mar. 23 at 7:20 p.m.
JT has slowed down one season and all of a sudden cant play 2c when he's played that all through his career good one

He's fine in the position one slow season wont stop that. He gets 2024-2025 then u can look for a replacement after

Agree to disagree . JT will re-sign when contract up but as a winger. Minten projects as 3C leaving giant hole @ 2C - Stephenson (age, skill set) fits the bill imo
Mar. 23 at 8:48 p.m.
To each his own; 2C’s don’t grow on trees and their aren’t many of those either. Could be undervaluing Roy & Stephenson - time will tell 🤷🏻.
Woll / Murray as a tandem is fine; Woll mossed half the year injured and Sammy fell off a cliff in the first half and we are fine.

I agree that 2C’a are hard to find, I just don’t think it’s smart to overspend on a guy that’s not one when the team is already gonna be tight to the cap. Just doesn’t seem like the smartest move out there.

& honestly that goalie tandem needs to be addressed. Sure they’ve gotten through this year with weak goaltending, but you can’t bet on that every year. Look at how poor Edmonton started off with terrible goaltending. If and when Toronto got into a situation of Woll and Murray hurt and had to rely on Hildeby and whoever their 4th guy would be at that point it’s just not a good look unless Hildeby turns into Jordan Binnington or 2019. But being a cup contender I wouldn’t wanna start with that tandem.
I’ve heard there a good chances Murray comes back, but likely starts in the AHL and works his way up. They’ll be looking for a veteran to be a tandem guy with Woll to start the year
Mar. 23 at 9:55 p.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_92
I agree that 2C’a are hard to find, I just don’t think it’s smart to overspend on a guy that’s not one when the team is already gonna be tight to the cap. Just doesn’t seem like the smartest move out there.

& honestly that goalie tandem needs to be addressed. Sure they’ve gotten through this year with weak goaltending, but you can’t bet on that every year. Look at how poor Edmonton started off with terrible goaltending. If and when Toronto got into a situation of Woll and Murray hurt and had to rely on Hildeby and whoever their 4th guy would be at that point it’s just not a good look unless Hildeby turns into Jordan Binnington or 2019. But being a cup contender I wouldn’t wanna start with that tandem.
I’ve heard there a good chances Murray comes back, but likely starts in the AHL and works his way up. They’ll be looking for a veteran to be a tandem guy with Woll to start the year

Someone needs to play 2C, and it’s not Tavares imo (JT, Knies, McMann next year would be a dominant 3rd line imo) so we need to sign one. If not Stephenson, who?
And goalie position is voodoo - no reason to think Woll or Murray will suffer injury next year and if they do 🤷🏻; I am saying top 10 goalies are in different category but #11- 60 are about the same so no use worrying too much. Just hope Woll or Murray or Hildeby or this year’s Jones
catch a Binningtin or Hill or Murray (Pens) wave 🤞

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll