Forums/Armchair-GM

Yall are Underestimating Dubas Fr

Created by: batman
Team: 2024-25 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 24, 2024
Published: Mar. 24, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
****ting on Dubas for that Guentzel return shows some of y’all don’t have that hockey business in you.
PITT was already going to continue to suck to enter that top 10 range and have that 1st rounder. They added another 2nd on top of that and it could become a 1st rounder.

1ST ( ALREADY HAD ) 2ND ( COULD BECOME A 1ST) PONOMAREV KOIVUNEN LUCIUS. THEY NEEDED QUANTITY. GOOD MOVE BRUH.

Losing Guentzel helped them tremendously to suck and enter the top 10.

Eiserman Ponomarev Koivunen Lucius and Conditonal 2nd is the return. Excellent move. It’s better than Nadeau and a 4th.. Got younger and did a retool with one trade. Haters are going to hate.

Got younger added talent and go spend in FA to help Crosby. It’s simple. Keeping Guentzel wouldn’t change anything. They would of continued to suck like this year.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,500,000
4$4,750,000
5$5,100,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Eiserman, Cole
3$950,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$87,750,000$87,604,342$0$327,500$145,658
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Eiserman, Cole
$950,000$950,000
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, C
UFA
$950,000$950,000
C, LW, RW
RFA
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
C
RFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
LD
RFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$886,667$886,667 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
G
RFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,100,000$5,100,000
RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA
Taxi Squad
$900,000$900,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW
RFA
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 24 at 5:27 p.m.
GO LEAFS GO
I've lived the Dubass experience he's not a good gm he's going to set the pens back 5 years
oilfire liked this.
Mar. 24 at 5:27 p.m.
Wouldn't need to get rid of Guentzel if he hadn't bought Karlsson. Dubas is a clown, he proved it with the Tavares signing and doubled down with the Karlsson trade.

His ability to draft and find market inefficiencies is undeniable, but he has no business managing a roster under the cap or negotiating contracts. He'll be a great president if he gets a real GM.
Mar. 24 at 5:34 p.m.
fromtherivertothesea
Quoting: oilfire
Wouldn't need to get rid of Guentzel if he hadn't bought Karlsson. Dubas is a clown, he proved it with the Tavares signing and doubled down with the Karlsson trade.

His ability to draft and find market inefficiencies is undeniable, but he has no business managing a roster under the cap or negotiating contracts. He'll be a great president if he gets a real GM.

Quoting: Thetypicalleafsfann
I've lived the Dubass experience he's not a good gm he's going to set the pens back 5 years

cant wait for u to hate on treliving in couple of weeks after losing to Boston in 6
Mar. 24 at 5:36 p.m.
Pengweenies
Quoting: Thetypicalleafsfann

How do you know that? He’s never done a rebuild before as GM.

lol isn’t the point of the rebuild to intentionally take a step back in on ice success today in the hopes of bigger success in the future
Mar. 24 at 5:37 p.m.
Quoting: batman
cant wait for u to hate on treliving in couple of weeks after losing to Boston in 6

As a Calgary fan, I already hate Treliving, he's still better than Dubas though.
Mar. 24 at 5:43 p.m.
There's this misconception on this website that quality is more important than quantity. That's hardly ever the case. Quantity works better mathematically, look at the draft. The deepest prospect pool in the league in terms of guys with a chance to play NHL games are the rebuilders, and then usually Carolina who have a mantra of mass acquiring picks and trading down to add more. It's why they were the perfect trade partner here. Koivunen is an A- prospect in his own right, but the mass return is what Pittsburgh needed. This is a prime example of where Quantity >> Quality
Mar. 24 at 5:43 p.m.
fromtherivertothesea

He didn’t want to get “ rid “ of Jake G. Did you read the bio? Going after Karlsson wasn’t really necessary, but it was to to show the big3 that he was committed. I still believe EK can have a big role on this team if he’s well surrounded. He didn’t do well on Marners and Matthews 1st deals, ultimately a mistake that destroyed the cap structure. At the time, the Tavares signing was good, he was young and elite in 2018. He slotted in perfectly on that 2C role. Nothing against this signing. It happened 6 years ago and thus far it was worth it.

Dubas is extremely talented and is a great GM. He’s young and brings another point of view and style in that buisness. Look at that team he put up last year, tell me it’s his mistake now.. what do you want him to do more?

Bunting Matthews Marner
Knies Tavares Nylander
Kerfoot O’Reilly Jarnkrok
Lafferty Kampf Acciari

Same old thirsty leafs fans are going to hate on Treliving in couple of weeks lmaoo..
Mar. 24 at 5:46 p.m.
fromtherivertothesea
Quoting: Caniac2000
There's this misconception on this website that quality is more important than quantity. That's hardly ever the case. Quantity works better mathematically, look at the draft. The deepest prospect pool in the league in terms of guys with a chance to play NHL games are the rebuilders, and then usually Carolina who have a mantra of mass acquiring picks and trading down to add more. It's why they were the perfect trade partner here. Koivunen is an A- prospect in his own right, but the mass return is what Pittsburgh needed. This is a prime example of where Quantity >> Quality

Quoting: Caniac2000

Exactly. The people bashing on that trade are the same ones who think Nadeau ( 1st himself ) Bunting and a 3rd would be better…
Mar. 24 at 5:49 p.m.
I mean, he got 3 good, not great prospects but it's kinda far off from the rumored ask of a top prospect and a 1st+. I'm still suprised he wasn't able to pull in Morrow, Blake or Nadeau, and the 1st isn't even guaranteed. Pono looked promising in a tiny NHL sample size and Koivunen is putting up numbers in Liiga, but it's nothing super impressive for a team that's probably rebuilding on the fly. It's not the worst return though, the quantity over quality approach may work better for a team like Pittsburgh with a far from impressive prospect pool currently.
Mar. 24 at 5:51 p.m.
He didn’t want to get “ rid “ of Jake G. Did you read the bio? Going after Karlsson wasn’t really necessary, but it was to to show the big3 that he was committed. I still believe EK can have a big role on this team if he’s well surrounded. He didn’t do well on Marners and Matthews 1st deals, ultimately a mistake that destroyed the cap structure. At the time, the Tavares signing was good, he was young and elite in 2018. He slotted in perfectly on that 2C role. Nothing against this signing. It happened 6 years ago and thus far it was worth it.

Dubas is extremely talented and is a great GM. He’s young and brings another point of view and style in that buisness. Look at that team he put up last year, tell me it’s his mistake now.. what do you want him to do more?

Bunting Matthews Marner
Knies Tavares Nylander
Kerfoot O’Reilly Jarnkrok
Lafferty Kampf Acciari

Same old thirsty leafs fans are going to hate on Treliving in couple of weeks lmaoo..

As I already said, Calgary fan here. Pretty sure you're over looking overwhelming evidence simply because you like the guy.

When Tavares leaves in 2 years, they will likely have zero residual pieces that they built around him, outside of Mathews, Marner and Nylander. His tenure as a Leaf was nothing more than a waste of their primes.

Trading and signing the biggest names on the market is a move any idiot fanboy like me could make.

Good GMs make tough moves that fanboys ridicule, like giving Pacioretty away for nothing. That's how you win cups, which is how success is defined in this league, btw.
batman liked this.
Mar. 24 at 5:57 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Dubas took the best offer the Pens were offered. Guentzel M N TC limited his the trade options. As Caniac 2000 wrote...A buyer at TDL will always get the quality player(s) and give up quantity.
Guentzel still might resign with Pens.
But I don't really like those big UFA signs made on this post. Aging players...which is sorta why the Pens are in the situation they are in
Dubas. I really don't think he was good GM. You mentioned that Dubas was good at drafting players. The Leafs had so few draft picks, the only players Dubas drafted for the Leafs were Holmberg, Knies, Liljegren and Woll. That's a poor record considering his length of time as GM. One of the reasons the Leafs IMO haven't been able to elevate is the lack of young players on ELCs, then every year the Leafs are forced to try to sign marginal UFA NHLers.
drambui liked this.
Mar. 24 at 6:03 p.m.
fromtherivertothesea
Quoting: palhal
Dubas took the best offer the Pens were offered. Guentzel M N TC limited his the trade options. As Caniac 2000 wrote...A buyer at TDL will always get the quality player(s) and give up quantity.
Guentzel still might resign with Pens.
But I don't really like those big UFA signs made on this post. Aging players...which is sorta why the Pens are in the situation they are in
Dubas. I really don't think he was good GM. You mentioned that Dubas was good at drafting players. The Leafs had so few draft picks, the only players Dubas drafted for the Leafs were Holmberg, Knies, Liljegren and Woll. That's a poor record considering his length of time as GM. One of the reasons the Leafs IMO haven't been able to elevate is the lack of young players on ELCs, then every year the Leafs are forced to try to sign marginal UFA NHLers.

Teravainen and Roy aren’t that old yet. Duchene is but look at his production.
Mar. 24 at 6:04 p.m.
Not to mention there’s still a chance Guentzel comes back to Pittsburgh even if Carolina wins a cup.
palhal liked this.
Mar. 24 at 6:08 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
As I already said, Calgary fan here. Pretty sure you're over looking overwhelming evidence simply because you like the guy.

When Tavares leaves in 2 years, they will likely have zero residual pieces that they built around him, outside of Mathews, Marner and Nylander. His tenure as a Leaf was nothing more than a waste of their primes.

Trading and signing the biggest names on the market is a move any idiot fanboy like me could make.

Good GMs make tough moves that fanboys ridicule, like giving Pacioretty away for nothing. That's how you win cups, which is how success is defined in this league, btw.

Funny how you can criticize Dubas so much when the Flames organization under Trevling was awful. Missed the playoffs more than they made it./
Enjoy another seven year of Huberdeau at 10.5m Tell me what have the Flames got to build around? Huberdeau, five years of 33 year old Kadri. 30 year old of Weager.

When Tavares contract is up....it's not like will have zero residue. One thing they will have is the 11m of Tavares cap....maybe 11m of Marner's too.

All GMs have about the same cap. The good ones work it so their teams win and are solid for years. I didn't think Dubas was particularly good GM, and I don't have much faith in Trevling either.
batman liked this.
Mar. 24 at 6:14 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: BestGMBenning
Not to mention there’s still a chance Guentzel comes back to Pittsburgh even if Carolina wins a cup.

You're right But as good as Guentzel is, how does resigning Gunetzel at a higher salary really help the Pens. They were non playoff team with him.
The Pens seem to be "old" with aging contracts. Seems like a such middling team despite their "stars"
Mar. 24 at 6:57 p.m.
No, Dubas's defenders overrate him big time.

He rushed the process of the Leafs rebuild in 2018-19. They shouldn't have signed Tavares and shouldn't have traded for Muzzin. They should've went for smaller moves while continuing to accumulate prospects. He started emptying the Leafs's picks and prospects pool in 18-19 when he should've waited for 2020-21.

He signed bad deals for Nylander, Marner and Matthews. Edmonton was able to lock McDavid and Draisaitl long term(8 years) why couldn't Dubas do the same with his guys?

He consistently built a defense unit that was too weak. At their best they only had 3 top 4 d-men(Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie), gave away Kadri and Brown, didn't have a true number 1 goalie for all 3 of his final seasons there, almost completely emptied the Leafs's picks in the 2022 and 23 deadlines, gave way too much for an aging Giordano and Blackwell, I could go on.

Dubas is a C- GM at best. His over-reliance on analytics, on smaller players and on his former Greyhounds players set the Leafs back 3-4 years.

Had they waited 2-3 years to go all in, they would've already won a cup, by now, IMO. But he rushed their process when the kids weren't ready, held on to a guy like Johnsson when he should've moved him ASAP when his value was at its highest to get D help and completely handcuffed the Leafs's cap.

I can't believe so many people are still so adamant he was so great in TOR.

Sure, he had good moments(*), but overall he was very "meh", if not bad.

*Brodie was a good signing at that amount
*Campbell gave them decent service
*McCabe is really solid
*Bunting was really good for that contract
*Samsonov was a grea gamble that, IMO, worked out
batman liked this.
Mar. 24 at 6:59 p.m.
Funny how you can criticize Dubas so much when the Flames organization under Trevling was awful. Missed the playoffs more than they made it./
Enjoy another seven year of Huberdeau at 10.5m Tell me what have the Flames got to build around? Huberdeau, five years of 33 year old Kadri. 30 year old of Weager.

When Tavares contract is up....it's not like will have zero residue. One thing they will have is the 11m of Tavares cap....maybe 11m of Marner's too.

All GMs have about the same cap. The good ones work it so their teams win and are solid for years. I didn't think Dubas was particularly good GM, and I don't have much faith in Trevling either.

As a Calgary fan, I already hate Treliving, he's still better than Dubas though.

As you can see I already pointed out I'm not a fan of Tre, contrary to popular belief, you don't have to blindly and irrationally support a guy just because he had an affiliation with your team.

We have draft picks and prospects, when Tavares comes off, the Leafs will have the exact same team they had before they signed him, minus the aforementioned draft picks and prospects.

Flames won the same amount of playoff rounds as the Leafs, might have made it in a couple more times but is it really worth mentioning when it equates to little more than a few extra games?

In summary, my team doesn't have to be good to criticize the other guys, as you've proven.
batman liked this.
Mar. 24 at 8:06 p.m.
that is an expensive 3rd line.
Mar. 24 at 8:20 p.m.
fromtherivertothesea
Quoting: yeah_rob
that is an expensive 3rd line.

But 2 players making 900k in the top6 so it makes up for it.
Mar. 24 at 8:37 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Yes clearly Dubas is a genius lets look at your hockey moves here and see how you got to this.

1. You sign old as dirt Duchene to a 4 year deal. Bravo.
2. You over pay on Roy.
3. You over pay on Teräväinen.
4. You make the horrible decision to buy out Rakell who they would end up paying for, for the next 8 years.

Dubas clearly is the smartest GM ever.
Mar. 24 at 9:24 p.m.
fromtherivertothesea
Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck
Yes clearly Dubas is a genius lets look at your hockey moves here and see how you got to this.

1. You sign old as dirt Duchene to a 4 year deal. Bravo.
2. You over pay on Roy.
3. You over pay on Teräväinen.
4. You make the horrible decision to buy out Rakell who they would end up paying for, for the next 8 years.

Dubas clearly is the smartest GM ever.

Okay MrLuckyMoneyPuck, we heard your hot garbage takes.

- Sign PPG Duchene under 5M AAV until he’s 37
- Sign Solid and Excellent top4 dmen Roy. No Overpay at 5M AAV. Maybe watch some games?
- Sign Top6 forward Teravainen on pace for 60+ points at 5.5M ain’t no ovepay. Idk what u taking about..
- Buyout Rakell since he’s hot trash and no one would want him for a bag of pucks. Penalty is extremely low and it’s a basic strategic financial move. Depends on ownership if they are willing to pay dead money.
Mar. 24 at 9:47 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
As you can see I already pointed out I'm not a fan of Tre, contrary to popular belief, you don't have to blindly and irrationally support a guy just because he had an affiliation with your team.

We have draft picks and prospects, when Tavares comes off, the Leafs will have the exact same team they had before they signed him, minus the aforementioned draft picks and prospects.

Flames won the same amount of playoff rounds as the Leafs, might have made it in a couple more times but is it really worth mentioning when it equates to little more than a few extra games?

In summary, my team doesn't have to be good to criticize the other guys, as you've proven.

I don't know if you're a sport fan or not, but that is so ridiculous too say that the after seven years, "when Tavares comes off, the Leafs will have the exact same team they had before they signed him, minus the aforementioned draft picks and prospects". What a stupid statement. The exact same team???? C'mon, is that how you justify such a silly stance you have taken?

Yep the Leaf haven't won many playoff rounds, but as a Flames, enjoy the meaningless games the Flames play in March and April.
Mar. 24 at 10:35 p.m.
I don't know if you're a sport fan or not, but that is so ridiculous too say that the after seven years, "when Tavares comes off, the Leafs will have the exact same team they had before they signed him, minus the aforementioned draft picks and prospects". What a stupid statement. The exact same team???? C'mon, is that how you justify such a silly stance you have taken?

Yep the Leaf haven't won many playoff rounds, but as a Flames, enjoy the meaningless games the Flames play in March and April.

Matthew's, Marner, Nylander, Rielly and the replacements. Same team AFIAC. Minus all the "all in" assets.

Sure would've been nice to keep guys like Hyman and build an actual team.

You're boiling mad because you know it's true.

Hey maybe Marner will take a discount and you might be able to keep Knies?!?
Mar. 25 at 12:37 a.m.
You're right But as good as Guentzel is, how does resigning Gunetzel at a higher salary really help the Pens. They were non playoff team with him.
The Pens seem to be "old" with aging contracts. Seems like a such middling team despite their "stars"

The team with Guentzel would put them outside a top 10 lottery pick. The team without Guentzel is currently in a spot to get a top 10 pick. Would they be a playoff team with Jake? There’s a slight chance they would. Without Jake is almost guaranteed to miss the playoffs.
Mar. 25 at 4:46 a.m.
GO LEAFS GO

Jokes on you I already hated the hire from day 1
batman liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll