SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 6 - Nearly Playoffs

Apr. 25 at 12:33 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Also

https://twitter.com/Bonsie1951/status/1783316265290903980

Man I feel asleep a few times as thats the vibes I got from the crowd. I heard better reactions from Buffalo

Leafs should go play there the Hamilton people be better
oneX liked this.
Apr. 25 at 1:47 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Its crazy how in FEB PP was almost unstoppable and then in March it fell off so bad and stayed the same in April lul

And you have

Matthews, Marner, JT, Willy, ETC.

The thing is that the Leafs love their tic tac toe PP set plays and that works some of the time in the regular season but come playoff time teams and players in general cut down on mistakes and these kind of tic tac plays are not available.

The answer to having a good PP is to get those grindy/gritty type plays that are much harder to defend around the net.
Apr. 25 at 1:54 a.m.
Also

https://twitter.com/Bonsie1951/status/1783316265290903980

Man I feel asleep a few times as thats the vibes I got from the crowd. I heard better reactions from Buffalo

Leafs should go play there the Hamilton people be better

It's not about "better" because the truth is the hardcore Leafs fans can't afford to even be in the nosebleeds section since ticket prices are so expensive. It's all corporate people mostly and getting them to cheer on the team is like trying to milk a rock.

I can't even remember the last time I was at Scotiabank Arena for a Leafs game.

At least Raptors games still have some affordable tickets depending on the team in town to face them.
Apr. 25 at 2:17 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 25 at 2:40 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
It's not about "better" because the truth is the hardcore Leafs fans can't afford to even be in the nosebleeds section since ticket prices are so expensive. It's all corporate people mostly and getting them to cheer on the team is like trying to milk a rock.

I can't even remember the last time I was at Scotiabank Arena for a Leafs game.

At least Raptors games still have some affordable tickets depending on the team in town to face them.

Yea thats the one headache. Like maybe a new president will help but man when you look at the Leafs home vs. away playoff record I go no wonder they do better on the road sometimes lul

The atmosphere would put me to sleep

Literally just put a go leafs go on the speakers or something to make it loud lul. Or hire someone to get em going or something idk.

As while it should not be a giant factor fans showing they care can help spark the players IMO. Like hey they do care lul

But yea this is something new president of MLSE should talk about with the board and stuff. Look what Masai was able to do with Raptor culture and ****. Tickets aint super cheap but dam fans go wild for em. I bet he fought for affordable pricing, Shanahan or someone should do the same.

As ScotiaBank cant become a Morgue lul
oneX liked this.
Apr. 25 at 7:54 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I will say of those 2 goals one of them was a pretty good shot where Marchand threaded it right past the bar and his head. That said why he left that open lul. As when you look Matthews skates by Samsonov & knocks his stick out of his hand, Domi puck watching & so late to react to Marchand all alone…

The Fredric one im going yes it was not good but also um refs 2 guys be tripping eachother center ice and play should have been dead lul. Heck could have been called earlier when Matthews got rock bottomed lul

Still was it an issue yes but was it the main one no as a 0.910 should be a win most nights

How about give Sammy some goal support

5 PP's and 0 goals and u have guys making how much on it?

But yea the thing thats making me mad is despite Matthews, Marner, JT, and others TOR a high of 3 goals in a playoff game its last 8 or 9 I believe

Unacceptable

I'm sorry, but both goals are unacceptable when Swayman's playing like he is...

That's the difference in net, Swayman's stealing games, Sammy is not...

Again, the special teams and offence is an issue... But so is goaltending vs Swayman
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 25 at 8:09 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Need Matthews to have a big Game 4...

8 hits is good... But only 1/3 games with points isn't up to snuff
Apr. 25 at 9:36 a.m.
Rip
Yeah the PP has been bad, but you don't go far in the playoffs by allowing 3 goals a game against. Our goaltending is a problem.
Apr. 25 at 9:37 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98

Again, the special teams and offence is an issue... But so is goaltending vs Swayman

Sammy will allow 3 goals a game in the playoffs. It's his career GAA in the playoffs and it's the same this year.
Apr. 25 at 10:05 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
Sammy will allow 3 goals a game in the playoffs. It's his career GAA in the playoffs and it's the same this year.

IT's the way these goals are going in though...

Look at the difference between G2 and G3... Or G1 vs G2, Sammy's saves those G3 goals in G2, but he's inconsistent...

Woll should get a chance G4 or G5...
Apr. 25 at 10:39 a.m.
Rip

Look at the difference between G2 and G3... Or G1 vs G2, Sammy's saves those G3 goals in G2, but he's inconsistent...

He won't though. And it is likely the end of this team as we see it. I get all the bluster about the stars and the PP but when we get 3 goals against every game, against actual good defensive teams with better goalies, what do we expect? Keefe wants to win games 5-3 instead of 2-1. Until he changes his philosophy and decides okay let's give Boston nothing. Wait for our chances and bury them. I am fine winning 2-1 and going deep in the playoffs. But that's not how it's going to go.

Just listen to Keefe's interviews. He's always saying "I thought we deserved a better result". Yeah it's been 4 playoffs of you saying that Keefe. It's pretty clear by now that it's not going to work. And he won't do a thing until there are 3 losses in the series.
Apr. 25 at 11:02 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
He won't though. And it is likely the end of this team as we see it. I get all the bluster about the stars and the PP but when we get 3 goals against every game, against actual good defensive teams with better goalies, what do we expect? Keefe wants to win games 5-3 instead of 2-1. Until he changes his philosophy and decides okay let's give Boston nothing. Wait for our chances and bury them. I am fine winning 2-1 and going deep in the playoffs. But that's not how it's going to go.

Just listen to Keefe's interviews. He's always saying "I thought we deserved a better result". Yeah it's been 4 playoffs of you saying that Keefe. It's pretty clear by now that it's not going to work. And he won't do a thing until there are 3 losses in the series.

Can't blame Keefe, look at the Bruins shot chart... They are all on the perimeter or tips... Sammy needs to get those... And Boucher needs to be a different coach, he stink at special teams...
Apr. 25 at 11:39 a.m.

That's so unfounded lol. Leafs have allowed the 8th fewest GA/GP in the playoffs since Keefe's first full season, and it ain't because of stellar goaltending. In that same time frame (excluding this current playoff), the Leafs have allowed fewer high danger chances per post-season game than the Islanders, Stars, Vegas, Rangers, Panthers, Hurricanes, all of whom have had greater playoff success than us. Defensive play has never been our issue under him.
Leafsfan98, aadoyle, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 25 at 12:31 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
That's so unfounded lol. Leafs have allowed the 8th fewest GA/GP in the playoffs since Keefe's first full season, and it ain't because of stellar goaltending. In that same time frame (excluding this current playoff), the Leafs have allowed fewer high danger chances per post-season game than the Islanders, Stars, Vegas, Rangers, Panthers, Hurricanes, all of whom have had greater playoff success than us. Defensive play has never been our issue under him.

Keefe just seems like the scape goat with most fans
Apr. 25 at 1:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Sure but then how about our 69 goal scorer get one past Swayman
Game one totally, games 2 and 3 he's been good enough to have them win and of those two only one came out.

We cant just be blaming our goalie when in the past 10 playoff games Leafs 1 time have scored more than 2 goals

Leafs this year were second in GF with 3.63 this season. So far

Game 1: 1 goal Matthews, Marner, JT 0 goals 0 assists
Game 2: 3 goals Matthews 1 goal 1 assist, JT 1 goal, Marner 0 goals or assists
Game 3: 2 goals Matthews 0 goals or assists, JT 0 goal, Marner 0 goals and 1 assist

Game 3's especially bad for the fact this team has had 5 PP's and didnt convert on one. Swayman's making saves and getting goal support as every time BOS has got a PP its almost always in the back of the net.

Imagine if the leafs PP was actually good would have converted at least on 2 or 3 of those like its supposed to we would have been up 2-1 lul

For me special teams are the bigger issue here as if a goalie is giving you a 0.910sv in game 3 you should be winning especially with 3 guys making over 30m combined but so far besides game 2 and a bit of 3 they all have disappointed
Apr. 25 at 1:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Yeah the PP has been bad, but you don't go far in the playoffs by allowing 3 goals a game against. Our goaltending is a problem.

Again your going for the goalie when special team have been costing them games

No team is winning when they cant score more than 2 goals

Leafs system isnt meant for a tight game lul

Sammy has given them b2b performances in which if they had a good PP game 3 would have helped them win but nope

0/5 and 1/11 in 3 games. A 0.910sv should = win in a game
Apr. 25 at 1:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Thats just honestly being silly. We saw the same when Woll was in net vs. BOS those last 2 games

Other than game 1 Sammy has been playing well enough for TOR to win. 0.910sv should be e

The real issues = special teams and the big boyz not being good along with ice cold special teams

Matthews had one good game this series and has slacked the other 2 games. Dont care for hits, posts etc. Your gonna be the highest paid NHLer next year and you have 1 goal and 2 assists and this team has failed to score more than 2 in playoffs 9 of their last 10 playoff game = unacceptable

JT = 1 PPG in 3 games and is making 11m = not good enough

Marner = 1 assist looked good game 3 but again not good enough for 10.9m

Willy gets a pass cause he's hurt but yea the problem with this team is on full display rn especially with him out

All that money tied into 4 guys and when you rely on said 4 for the majority of your offense when they arent performing your cooked

Going back to special teams PP = less than 10% with these guys on it, PK = 50%

You aint winning with these numbers fix them then we will improve. Changing the goalie wont change a thing if they dont get goal support lul

If anything may get worse
Apr. 25 at 1:24 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Sure but then how about our 69 goal scorer get one past Swayman
Game one totally, games 2 and 3 he's been good enough to have them win and of those two only one came out.

We cant just be blaming our goalie when in the past 10 playoff games Leafs 1 time have scored more than 2 goals

Leafs this year were second in GF with 3.63 this season. So far

Game 1: 1 goal Matthews, Marner, JT 0 goals 0 assists
Game 2: 3 goals Matthews 1 goal 1 assist, JT 1 goal, Marner 0 goals or assists
Game 3: 2 goals Matthews 0 goals or assists, JT 0 goal, Marner 0 goals and 1 assist

Game 3's especially bad for the fact this team has had 5 PP's and didnt convert on one. Swayman's making saves and getting goal support as every time BOS has got a PP its almost always in the back of the net.

Imagine if the leafs PP was actually good would have converted at least on 2 or 3 of those like its supposed to we would have been up 2-1 lul

For me special teams are the bigger issue here as if a goalie is giving you a 0.910sv in game 3 you should be winning especially with 3 guys making over 30m combined but so far besides game 2 and a bit of 3 they all have disappointed

I said that, no?
Need Matthews to have a big Game 4...

8 hits is good... But only 1/3 games with points isn't up to snuff

But frankly, Sammy's not playing good enough to win
Apr. 25 at 1:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Yep I found game 3 defense was not a huge issue except goal 3 where Domi just doing a casual skate by of Marchand but we can talk about that later

The thing thats killing TOR rn = Stars aint showing up and special teams

Matthews had 1 good game this playoffs and JT and Marner have shown flashes but nothing concrete. Combine that with Willy being out and teams inability to only get 3 goals once in 10 previous playoff performances and considering we were second in GF this season thats pretty concerning.

Yes I know injuries but yea good teams play through them and persevere. But so far this playoffs the one line that has consistently given us good looks and or statistical results = Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Apr. 25 at 1:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 25 at 1:50 p.m.
I said that, no?

But frankly, Sammy's not playing good enough to win

How is a 0.910sv game 3 not good enough to win?

How about one of those 5 PP's score lul

2 or 3 of those go in we win that game easily

But nope its an iceberg

BOS wont give you 5 PP's often and when they do and you got a bunch of guys making double digits....SCORE ON IT. Dont got to be all 2 or 3 would do nicely lul

The fact TOR has faced an inability to score in playoffs is basically putting blame on others when this team aint meant for a tight low scoring game. They built to win 5-2 or 6-3 not 3-2 or 2-1 consistently. Now lets say this wasnt the case and they were scoring 5 but goalie allowed 4 then we got problems. But so far they score 1-3 and Sammy allows 1-3. Your not winning that way as our system aint meant for it.

Yes BOS has the better goalie but we have the better offensive weapons and yet they have not shown up against him. Debrusk got the same points as our big 3 combined with more goals thats a concern for sure

Could Sammy be a bit better absolutely but he's put up good numbers in game 2 and 3 that are good enough for most teams to win a game or series, give him goal support lul.
Apr. 25 at 1:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Practice today should just be all PP for TOR lul

No rush drills or anything just PP

And the Willy news is both concerning and a what moment

Like if its not a concussion and just a migraine im gonna be like so your telling me you just got a headache. But since its stumping even doctors I think the case aint as clear cut as people think
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25 at 1:55 p.m.
Go leafs go
Edited Apr. 25 at 4:11 p.m.

Like if its not a concussion and just a migraine im gonna be like so your telling me you just got a headache. But since its stumping even doctors I think the case aint as clear cut as people think

Yah what? Willy just has a migraine? Look I’m sure that’s no fun at all but this is the Stanley Cup playoffs and you’re being payed 11.5 million dollars. You’d think that’s something you can push through, and if it isn’t maybe you don’t deserve 11.5 million dollars

Edit: ok I’m definitely being too hard on Willy lol, I don’t get migraines but you all are telling me they’re really bad. Especially if it’s a possible symptom of a concussion. Hopefully he’s ok
Apr. 25 at 1:56 p.m.

Migraines are more complex than just a headache. If it was just mild and a headache, he'd be playing, but it's obviously very severe if he's sitting out and team doctors have tested for concussion.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25 at 1:59 p.m.
Rip
Again your going for the goalie when special team have been costing them games

No team is winning when they cant score more than 2 goals

Leafs system isnt meant for a tight game lul

Sammy has given them b2b performances in which if they had a good PP game 3 would have helped them win but nope

0/5 and 1/11 in 3 games. A 0.910sv should = win in a game

3 goals a game isn't a winning goalie. And he will allow that. Sometimes less and sometimes more but he will average 3 a game. He's not good enough.
Apr. 25 at 2:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Migraines are more complex than just a headache. If it was just mild and a headache, he'd be playing, but it's obviously very severe if he's sitting out and team doctors have tested for concussion.

Yea thats what im thinking. I have dealt with them they no joke but its just so weird its coming now. Like I have scanned through all the older games to see okay where could it have happened and there really isnt one hit or impact that could have did it.

But yea we need him rn and this is the last thing we need to hear as head injury to me = done for series.

The fact its stummping doctors be a bit of a concern.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25 at 2:05 p.m.
Rip

I have experienced migraines they are brutal. No chance I would be able to play

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll