Forums/Armchair-GM

I was wrong

Created by: Jah1722
Team: 2024-25 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 29, 2024
Published: Mar. 29, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I didn’t think he would be available but after last night it looks like Zegras is likely to be trade in the offseason. Verbeek hired Cronin who hates Zegras and there’s no chance Verbeek gets rid of his guy over someone drafted by the previous GM.

Cronin won’t bench a single player except for Zegras. It’s really quite something. Glad to see some of ducks Twitter realizing Cronin isn’t good. Hopefully they’ll realize the same about Verbeek soon. Unfortunately that pair is gonna cost the ducks a high skilled young player.
Trades
NJD
  1. Zegras, Trevor
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (ANA)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
15$87,500,000$52,363,334$0$7,400,000$35,136,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,250,000$3M)
C
RFA - 2
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$800,000$800K)
LD
RFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$844,167$844,167
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 29 at 1:32 p.m.
I’ve been a big Cronin guy up until last night

The fact that Z got benched after we’ve seen McTavish Strome Vatrano Killorn Gudas all take worse penalties and not hear a wors about it but then Z gets benched, I think it’s an absolute horrible look for Cronin

You can notice a big difference in play with Zegras and without Zegras imo

I think Cronin would be the one to go in a Zegras vs Cronin debate but that could be a little bias as of right now though
Mar. 29 at 1:33 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
McTavish was benched multiple times earlier this year for doing the same dumb **** Zegras got benched for.

As to last night's game, while the refs completely let the game get away from them (seriously, nearly half an hour of calls on Anaheim) what Zegras did was exceedingly stupid.
Mar. 29 at 1:41 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: GeneralLandro
I’ve been a big Cronin guy up until last night

The fact that Z got benched after we’ve seen McTavish Strome Vatrano Killorn Gudas all take worse penalties and not hear a wors about it but then Z gets benched, I think it’s an absolute horrible look for Cronin

You can notice a big difference in play with Zegras and without Zegras imo

I think Cronin would be the one to go in a Zegras vs Cronin debate but that could be a little bias as of right now though

Cronin is Verbeek’s guy. Zegras is not. Cronin will stay.
Mar. 29 at 1:43 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
McTavish was benched multiple times earlier this year for doing the same dumb **** Zegras got benched for.

As to last night's game, while the refs completely let the game get away from them (seriously, nearly half an hour of calls on Anaheim) what Zegras did was exceedingly stupid.

Zegras got slew footed and reacted. McTavish has yet to be benched. Vatrano either. Killorn either.

Cronin sucks and Zegras will be dealt at the hands of a poor coach GM combo unfortunately.
Mar. 29 at 2:05 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Edited Mar. 29 at 2:13 p.m.
Quoting: Jah1722
Zegras got slew footed and reacted. McTavish has yet to be benched. Vatrano either. Killorn either.

Cronin sucks and Zegras will be dealt at the hands of a poor coach GM combo unfortunately.

McTavish had less time on ice than Zegras did last night. He's been busted down to the third line for stretches this season and I swear he was benched around the 40 game mark.

I still don't know what the initial Zegras penalty last night was when he got slewed, the refs definitely seemed to be working towards a script, and the entire team was undisciplined and sloppy last night, but Z has to know he's on a short leash when he was the penalty minute leader on the team last season and he's not getting fives and tens. Should Z have been given some leash back afterwards when Killorn and Vatrano kept going to the box? Maybe, but Z's penalty is where the game turned.

Edit: Sorry, I was wrong, McTavish was busted down to 4C last night. Zegras was 2C, even after Z got benched, McTavish wasn't given his ice time.
Mar. 29 at 2:19 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
First Pierre-Luc DuBois, now Trevor Z . . . maybe I should just start rooting for the Coyotes.
Mar. 29 at 2:26 p.m.
Jah1722
McTavish had less time on ice than Zegras did last night. He's been busted down to the third line for stretches this season and I swear he was benched around the 40 game mark.

I still don't know what the initial Zegras penalty last night was when he got slewed, the refs definitely seemed to be working towards a script, and the entire team was undisciplined and sloppy last night, but Z has to know he's on a short leash when he was the penalty minute leader on the team last season and he's not getting fives and tens. Should Z have been given some leash back afterwards when Killorn and Vatrano kept going to the box? Maybe, but Z's penalty is where the game turned.

Edit: Sorry, I was wrong, McTavish was busted down to 4C last night. Zegras was 2C, even after Z got benched, McTavish wasn't given his ice time.

That’s because for the 1st time all season Cronin held someone “accountable” and played McTavish in the 4th line until Zegras’ benching. McTavish took the last handful of shifts at 2C.

Zegras shouldn’t be on a short leash. No one else is. And there lies the problem.

Also blaming the game last night on Zegras is funny since he was most dangerous ducks player all night.
Mar. 29 at 2:35 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
That’s because for the 1st time all season Cronin held someone “accountable” and played McTavish in the 4th line until Zegras’ benching. McTavish took the last handful of shifts at 2C.

Zegras shouldn’t be on a short leash. No one else is. And there lies the problem.

Also blaming the game last night on Zegras is funny since he was most dangerous ducks player all night.

I said the momentum shifted on the Zegras penalty, I didn't say Zegras is why they lost the game. That was a whole team effort. I'm aware he was the most dangerous looking forward out there the last two games, I was watching them too.

McTavish has spent lots of games on the lower lines this season, go look at all the games he was on the ice for ~12 minutes. This isn't the first time McTavish has been punished either.

You don't think "you take too many dump penalties" was one of the sticking points during contract negotiations over the summer? He had more PIMs than Carrick did last season. He's 11th this year and he's barely played 20 games.

No, I don't think Strome or Killorn or Vatrano should be allowed to slide when he isn't, I would have benched the entire top 6 last night and told the bottom 6 to just run out the clock, but we can't act like the consistency at which Zegras takes minor penalties isn't a problem, the other guys who put up those kinds of PIMs/game are getting five for fighting or game misconducts.
Mar. 29 at 2:35 p.m.
So MacT on 4C… NYR will gladly rid you of him 😂.
Mar. 29 at 2:50 p.m.
😂 this is such a reaction post. Zegras isnt going anywhere because of one penalty in one game when ANA has been far and away the most penalized team in hockey with him sidelined all year

Verbeek’s job security is undeniably far worse than Zegras’. The team has taken no step forward with him on the bench despite maturation of youth and some solid offseason additions. His team has no discipline and his systems haven’t worked 5v5 or on special teams. While I think he gets another year, there’s no way Zegras’ leash is shorter than his. Regardless of who hired who, Z has proved something in this league and Cronin has not
GiggywithGibby liked this.
Mar. 29 at 2:57 p.m.
CHI is actually the best destination for him. In exchange for reichel
Mar. 29 at 3:04 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: Jded
😂 this is such a reaction post. Zegras isnt going anywhere because of one penalty in one game when ANA has been far and away the most penalized team in hockey with him sidelined all year

Verbeek’s job security is undeniably far worse than Zegras’. The team has taken no step forward with him on the bench despite maturation of youth and some solid offseason additions. His team has no discipline and his systems haven’t worked 5v5 or on special teams. While I think he gets another year, there’s no way Zegras’ leash is shorter than his. Regardless of who hired who, Z has proved something in this league and Cronin has not

It’s not because of one penalty in one game. It’s because he’s the only one Cronin sits when he takes a penalty.

Verbeek is a bad GM and Cronin is a bad coach but I don’t think the Samuelis move on that quickly from Verbeek which means Cronin will stick around too. Those 2 don’t like Zegras.
Mar. 29 at 3:05 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: NYR1983
So MacT on 4C… NYR will gladly rid you of him 😂.

Cronin finding holdin someone “accountable” after preaching it all season. Problem is it’s game 73 and outside of benching Zegras multiple times that’s the only accountability he used.
Mar. 29 at 3:06 p.m.
Jah1722
I said the momentum shifted on the Zegras penalty, I didn't say Zegras is why they lost the game. That was a whole team effort. I'm aware he was the most dangerous looking forward out there the last two games, I was watching them too.

McTavish has spent lots of games on the lower lines this season, go look at all the games he was on the ice for ~12 minutes. This isn't the first time McTavish has been punished either.

You don't think "you take too many dump penalties" was one of the sticking points during contract negotiations over the summer? He had more PIMs than Carrick did last season. He's 11th this year and he's barely played 20 games.

No, I don't think Strome or Killorn or Vatrano should be allowed to slide when he isn't, I would have benched the entire top 6 last night and told the bottom 6 to just run out the clock, but we can't act like the consistency at which Zegras takes minor penalties isn't a problem, the other guys who put up those kinds of PIMs/game are getting five for fighting or game misconducts.

Cronin and Verbeek are bad. You just wanna blame Zegras for it all tho.
Mar. 29 at 3:15 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Cronin and Verbeek are bad. You just wanna blame Zegras for it all tho.

Yeah, you're not interested in logic or reason, go stew in your misery. If you had any sense you'd know I'm on here daily defending Zegras.
Mar. 29 at 6:24 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
TBF, it was a stupid chain of events from Zegras, if you are talking about the double minor
Mar. 29 at 7:42 p.m.
Jah1722
Yeah, you're not interested in logic or reason, go stew in your misery. If you had any sense you'd know I'm on here daily defending Zegras.

You defend Verbeek and Cronin every step of the way. Your arguments for whether a player would be acquired by the ducks is mostly “he’s not a Verbeek type of player”. No matter how poorly Verbeek and Cronin do their jobs you’ll defend them because they aren’t Bob Murray or Dallas Eakins.
Mar. 29 at 7:45 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: Leafsfan98
TBF, it was a stupid chain of events from Zegras, if you are talking about the double minor

He felt like he got a bit slew footed so he crosschecked Tanev. But it’s mostly about the fact that the ducks take stupid penalties nightly and Zegras has been the only player to be benched. It’s happened twice. A few of the vets consistently take bad penalties but haven’t been held “accountable” by Cronin once.
Mar. 29 at 7:58 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
You defend Verbeek and Cronin every step of the way. Your arguments for whether a player would be acquired by the ducks is mostly “he’s not a Verbeek type of player”. No matter how poorly Verbeek and Cronin do their jobs you’ll defend them because they aren’t Bob Murray or Dallas Eakins.

If you're looking for a group of fans to circle jerk you about our GM and coach not knowing what they're doing, take it to the Facebook or reddit groups where this kind of knee jerk reaction is actually wanted.

Go pound sand Jah, you're throwing a tantrum like a child.
Mar. 29 at 8:17 p.m.
Jah1722
If you're looking for a group of fans to circle jerk you about our GM and coach not knowing what they're doing, take it to the Facebook or reddit groups where this kind of knee jerk reaction is actually wanted.

Go pound sand Jah, you're throwing a tantrum like a child.

Lol the irony.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll