Forums/Armchair-GM

Realistic I think WITH JUSTIFICATIONS I hate being a fan of this team

Created by: NotCWright
Team: 2024-25 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 15, 2024
Published: Apr. 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Somewhat realistic off-season for my favorite team (they give me aneurysms). LMK what y'all think (wings fans or not)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,000,000
5$5,500,000
3$1,750,000
3$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
3$5,000,000
3$4,750,000
3$1,500,000
2$920,000
Trades
DET
  1. 2024 6th round pick (ARI)
  2. 2025 5th round pick (ARI)
DET
  1. 2024 4th round pick (ANA)
DET
  1. McCarron, Michael
  2. 2024 4th round pick (NSH)
DET
    Wings Fan Here: a couple things to justify these decisions.

*this is supposed to be realistic, believe me I'd like to do a lot more*

Guys I'm Not Resigning:
    - Biggest thing I noticed this year (23-24) is that we have a surplus of bottom 6 forwards: Copp, Sprong, Perron, Ras, Fischer, Czarnik, Fabbri, Veleno all fall into this category. Thus I let a decent amount walk in Free agency. The only one I'm unsure about is Sprong because I think he's incredibly underrated as he produces so much offense in such little ice time. Don't understand why Lalonde is benching/scratching him as much as he is bc he's no more of a defensive liability than someone like Veleno, Perron, etc. Thus, I did not resign him because I feel like other teams will realize that he is underrated and offer him more than I'd be willing to get

RFA Signings:

Raymond - self-explanatory
    Seider - not worth as much as Raymond, still has some hockey iq to develop, nevertheless, our best shot at a "franchise" dman; still very physical with decent offensive production

Berggren - another guy who is super underrated. When Lalonde was playing Kostin over him I was tweaking. However, this might not actually happen bc I've heard Bergs was unhappy with his playing time (understanably), so idk if he'll want to come back

Johansson - another young promising D. Wouldn't mind calling him up if someone goes down with injury

UFAs:

Kane - probably walks if we don't make playoffs. He's been great for us but tbh i won't be that upset if we don't get him back. Also cannot stress this enough but we CANNOT overpay for him to come back for a couple years of clout. He also plays on the 2nd line because I've like the Luke, Larks and Cat line a bit more

Ghost - our PP guy, 51 points (subject to change) is great, put him with someone competent defensively and his plus/minus gets better. If we can't get him for 5 mil or less let him walk and let Wally run PP1

Stephenson - the 2nd line winger we've been missing all this year. Really complete player who can do just about anything. Gut feeling him and Kaner would be gross tg idk. Always been a fan of his. Solid 2-way forward

Fischer - Didn't really like him the first half of the season but the guy plays so hard and can kill penalties. Solid 4th liner. Not super attached though so if he gets picky with the price tag let him go. 4th liners are as common as oxygen on earth

Czarnik - another guy that just works hard. Just a fill-in guy that we can get for cheap. When he centered Kane and Cat it was funny because he was so scared to shoot because he knows he's not the shot guy on that line lol.

Trades:

Petry: This guy gives me aneurysms, but every like 5 games he plays really well so idk. Actually got a decent amount of points this year but that doesn't make me forget that he's old and slow. Just a cap dump. Utah will take him because they need to hit the cap floor. He's also a veteran D and Utah has a lot of young d-men.

Holl - same thing a Petry. He wasn't awful when he played but 3.5 mil to be scratched is a heavy price tag. Anaheim aren't making a playoff push anytime soon and they'll have loads of cap room (no big signings coming up), so this seems like a realistic trade (make the pick a 5th if you're unhappy)

Fabbri - One of our surplus bottom 6 forwards. Easier to trade than Copp because he costs less. Also, Copp plays decently well on the PK. Fabs could probably produce more if we played him more but for his price and 1-dimensionalness (not a word) I wouldn't be mad if we traded him. Also tbh I think McCarron and a 4th might be a bit steep considering McCarron is having a good year, so that could be switched to Janikowski, or just a lesser pick with McCarron.

Remaining Players:

Husso - I wouldn't care if he stayed or went, but I'd be willing to give him another chance. Thought about trying to flip him for someone like Blackwood, but we'd probably have to give up too much.

Chiarot: another guy that gives me aneurysms, but can be solid (sometimes). Figure a guy like him playing with Edvinsson would be helpful for Ed's development

Maatta: Probably our steadiest d-man this year, and in a lot of other armchair GMs i see people getting rid of him. Pretty valuable to keep around, and he's on a good contract.

*Once again, this is supposed to be somewhat in the realm of possibility. IDK what teams Petry or Holl have on their no-trade clauses, but you get the idea I'm trying to go for. And yes, this team should make the playoffs, but in Red Wings fashion, they'll make it interesting.*
    NSH
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,500,000$84,946,390$0$1,850,000-$1,446,390

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NTC
    UFA - 7
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RW, LW
    RFA
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    C, LW
    UFA
    $5,100,000$5,100,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW
    UFA
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C, LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 4
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RW, LW
    RFA
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
    C
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Nashville Predators
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    RFA
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $920,000$920,000
    C, RW
    UFA
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 15 at 3:17 a.m.
    They're not out yet. I think if they get 3 pts vs Mont. and Wash losses a game (and they play Bost today), I think Detroit gets in.
    Apr. 15 at 5:31 a.m.
    Tank it baby
    Stephenson gets 6 mil AAV in UFA.
    Apr. 15 at 6:11 a.m.
    It's hard to compare Raymond with Seider because they play different positions but I'd say they are about even, both first liners. I want to lock them both up for 8 years. In years 6-8 of those contracts the salary cap will be higher and their cap hits will look like a good deal by then. If either one gets a bridge deal now, they are going to get PAID later.

I think those are pretty fair deals for Kane & Ghost if they want to stay. The AAV on Ghost is high but I'd rather have that on a 3 year deal instead of less money for more term since he's pushing 30.
    Apr. 15 at 7:41 a.m.
    Your price for Fabbri is steep all things considered but your proposed potential adjustments doesn't make it any better. We'd (or another team) probably be willing to send a mid/late pick *if* we were interested but there's no point in adding a more expensive bottom 6 winger at the cost of one of our cost effective and cost controlled bottom 6 forwards + a pick of any kind. Not that you're out of whack with the proposal value wise just that it makes no sense to increase the monetary cost of the forward group for minimal (if any) improvement.
    Apr. 15 at 7:57 a.m.
    Holl has negative value my man

You will have to pay us to take him
    Apr. 15 at 8:06 a.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM
    Don't get discouraged. You've had some bad luck on drafting elite talent it's true, but your GM has done something amazing. He's shown the entire league that above average veteran players have more value to a team that wants to win now than future elite players on entry level deals.

I love the fact that Detroit is farther along than Anaheim, Buffalo, and Ottawa. You look at the makeup of Ottawa & Buffalo and you look at Detroit and no one would guess Detroit would be a bubble playoff team and those would be bottom feeding.

Your team destroying the narrative that there is only one obvious path for a rebuild and creating an example I hope my Habs will embrace this offseason.

I personally look up to teams like Detroit that are not afraid to do it differently.
    Apr. 15 at 8:14 a.m.
    Just buy out Petry, buyout is split 3 ways
    Apr. 15 at 8:26 a.m.
    This poor guy gets aneurysms left right and centre
    Apr. 15 at 9:05 a.m.
    Pop Pop
    Seider gets more, Stephenson gets more, dumping guys like petry and Fabbri will be harder. I've had enough ghost. This team can't defend or stop pucks but we're just rolling back the same d and goalies.
    Apr. 15 at 9:11 a.m.
    Edited Apr. 15 at 2:52 p.m.
    Stephenson laugh at you with that offer.
    NotCWright liked this.
    Apr. 15 at 9:46 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Not much appreciation of Holl's and Petry M NTCs. You just can't dump contracts on poor teams with cap.
    I understand not liking some of Yzerman's moves. But geez, Wings have been awful for years, for sure this year is an improvement.
    But GMs know they can't be 1.4m over the cap with a tem.
    Apr. 15 at 9:54 a.m.
    - Too much for Raymond
    - Not enough for Seider
    - Too much for Berg
    - Where's Veleno? (he's an rfa you don't just let a player like that go)
    - Ghost ain't coming back
    - Not enough for Stephenson
    - Just buy Holl out
    - Petry has a NMC
    - Ras is not a 3C
    - Kane and Cat are not playinh together

Almost nothing about this is realistic.
    Apr. 15 at 2:11 p.m.
    Quoting: Burnzie8_88_4Cup
    They're not out yet. I think if they get 3 pts vs Mont. and Wash losses a game (and they play Bost today), I think Detroit gets in.

One can only hope my friend
    Apr. 15 at 2:11 p.m.
    Quoting: SharkTank
    Stephenson gets 6 mil AAV in UFA.

you're probably right
    Apr. 15 at 2:12 p.m.
    Quoting: Just_A_Guess
    Your price for Fabbri is steep all things considered but your proposed potential adjustments doesn't make it any better. We'd (or another team) probably be willing to send a mid/late pick *if* we were interested but there's no point in adding a more expensive bottom 6 winger at the cost of one of our cost effective and cost controlled bottom 6 forwards + a pick of any kind. Not that you're out of whack with the proposal value wise just that it makes no sense to increase the monetary cost of the forward group for minimal (if any) improvement.

ya that's fair. My bad, I'm not too familiar with Nashville or their FA/trade desires
    Apr. 15 at 2:13 p.m.
    Quoting: GeneralLandro
    Holl has negative value my man

You will have to pay us to take him

in a world where Gustav Lindstrom gets ice time I would not be surprised if that offer was enough. Nevertheless, retaining some of Holl's salary isn't a horrible decisions either
    Apr. 15 at 2:15 p.m.
    Quoting: Fergy22
    Just buy out Petry, buyout is split 3 ways

probably a more likely option, was just speculating that if we were to dump him Utah would be one of the more likely spots (assuming they're not on his NTC)
    Apr. 15 at 2:19 p.m.
    Quoting: Octopus_Guy
    It's hard to compare Raymond with Seider because they play different positions but I'd say they are about even, both first liners. I want to lock them both up for 8 years. In years 6-8 of those contracts the salary cap will be higher and their cap hits will look like a good deal by then. If either one gets a bridge deal now, they are going to get PAID later.

I think those are pretty fair deals for Kane & Ghost if they want to stay. The AAV on Ghost is high but I'd rather have that on a 3 year deal instead of less money for more term since he's pushing 30.

I'm with you on that, I just wish Mo would play like the "franchise" player that he's been touted to be. So many iq lapses, but that gets better with age. The only reason I'm giving him a little less money for little less time. I agree with you on Ghost but I don't think he'd come back for anything less. 50-something points for a d-man is worthy of a bit of a pay raise, but like I said, cannot overpay for him. We have other guys that can run a PP
    Octopus_Guy liked this.
    Apr. 15 at 2:23 p.m.
    Quoting: NotCWright
    in a world where Gustav Lindstrom gets ice time I would not be surprised if that offer was enough. Nevertheless, retaining some of Holl's salary isn't a horrible decisions either

He hasn’t been that bad for us
    Apr. 15 at 2:56 p.m.
    Future Norris guy
    Petry doesn't waive for Arizona, Outside of buying him out we're stuck with him for another year.

You're not getting no 4th round pick for Justin Holl, You'd need to retain 50% on him plus at least include a 2nd round pick. He's a buyout casualties this summer.

Lucas Raymond isn't getting 8 x $8,000,000 and Moritz Seider only 5 x $5,500,000 it's already been mentioned that Moritz Seider will more than likely get the Larkin deal and Raymond closer to 8 x $7,500,000.

Zero chance of Shayne Gostisbehere coming back. We already have Walman, Edvinsson and Chiarot on the left side I'd rather bring Matt Roy home as our 2nd pairing RHD then re-sign Ghost who sucks terribly on defense.

Unfortunately it's sounding more and more that Patrick Kane will test free agency.

Zero interest in Chandler Stephenson who's more than likely going to command at least $6,500,000 per season.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll