Forums/Armchair-GM

It will come between Lindstrom or Catton

Created by: Blazingbat11
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 17, 2024
Published: Apr. 17, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The decision might be made for them if one is picked beforehand, but I believe at least one, maybe both, will be available by the time MTL pick at 5-6th overall.

Based on The Athletics most recent draft rankings, the player comps for Catton is Logan Cooley, and for Lindstrom it's Chris Kreider.... two very different players. As a Habs fan, you can make extremely well-reasoned arguments to prefer either player. MTL desperately needs more high-end offensive skill, and adding a creative forward with magic hands in Catton is exactly what the doctor ordered for MTL. For Lindstrom, even he doesn't end being a center in the NHL, a Chris Krieder-esq player on the wing would really make MTLs top 6 better suited for "playoff hockey" adding a crash-and-bang element, and even more size next to Slafkovsky and Dach.

There are obviously other forwards MTL could pick:
- Demidov (I think for the same reasons MTL didn't pick Michkov, they will pass on Demidov...),
- Helenius and Sennecke (both appear to be late risers in the draft, you never know but I don't think either is a better option than Catton or Lindstrom), and finally:
- Eiserman (the guy that keeps falling lower and lower in almost every mock draft, starting to remind me of Kaliyev a few years back, was a lock for the top 5-10 for a long time, is a pure goal scorer, that had way too many red flags for scouts).

My personal pick would be Lindstrom, maybe not as offensively gifted as Catton, but playoff hockey is how you win a cup, not to mention with Gorton and his Rangers background, kind of hard to turn away from a player similar to Kreider.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
2$1,750,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2026 3rd round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
Any team.
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,000,000$71,881,250$1,022,500$4,690,000$15,118,750
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$885,000$885,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
C
RFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
RFA
$875,000$875,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
RFA
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 17 at 1:57 p.m.
Reinbacher Josi 2.0
I think it's gonna be Iginla. He looks like exactly what we need honestly
csick liked this.
Apr. 17 at 1:59 p.m.
KFTW
I think Lindstrom has become underrated
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Apr. 17 at 2:05 p.m.
Go Habs Go
HABS will draft either Cayden or ZP RHD
Apr. 17 at 2:08 p.m.
1. Celebrini
2. Lindstrom
3. Levshunov
4. Iginla
5. Demidov
6. Parekh
7. Catton

honestly I'll be happy with whichever one we get
Apr. 17 at 2:21 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: Caufield
I think it's gonna be Iginla. He looks like exactly what we need honestly

Quoting: darz
1. Celebrini
2. Lindstrom
3. Levshunov
4. Iginla
5. Demidov
6. Parekh
7. Catton

honestly I'll be happy with whichever one we get

Really not buying into the hype for Tij Iginla. Especially if we are comparing him to Lindstrom. He had a fantastic playoff run, no doubt. but this is a guy that was barely getting ranked in the 3rd round last year (Elite prospects had him 87th less than 12 months ago)... And I believe a lot of hype is getting added due to his last name... There are always late risers in draft rankings, but never to this extent. If there was ever an overrated prospect in this years draft, it's Iginla.
Lindstrom has been falling in the draft rankings, but it's mainly due to him being injured, and scouts being sour that he turned down going to the U18s...
Matt1567 liked this.
Apr. 17 at 2:27 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: csick
I think Lindstrom has become underrated

The most underrated player in this years draft is Trevor Connelly. Kid is a guaranteed top 10 talent, but due to his off-ice issues (He shared a picture of his friend making a Swastika out of books in their school library...) Lots of teams will pass on him, just to avoid the PR trouble. Habs are definitely not taking him, even if he falls into the 20s and Habs have WINs 1st rd pick lol They don't want another Mailloux situation.
Matt1567 liked this.
Apr. 17 at 2:28 p.m.
Reinbacher Josi 2.0
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Really not buying into the hype for Tij Iginla. Especially if we are comparing him to Lindstrom. He had a fantastic playoff run, no doubt. but this is a guy that was barely getting ranked in the 3rd round last year (Elite prospects had him 87th less than 12 months ago)... And I believe a lot of hype is getting added due to his last name... There are always late risers in draft rankings, but never to this extent. If there was ever an overrated prospect in this years draft, it's Iginla.
Lindstrom has been falling in the draft rankings, but it's mainly due to him being injured, and scouts being sour that he turned down going to the U18s...

I've scouted Lindstrom, Catton, Iggy, and although I'm not necessarily putting Iggy as the best of the 3, he is definitely in the same tier. I think the hype is pretty deserved. Using the rankings of the past isn't really valid imo: Kiviharju was supposed to be the 1st OA pick, but now he is probably not a 1st round guy. Slaf was a late 1st, and became the rightful 1st OA pick. Cameron Allen was projected as the best D in the 2023 draft but fell to the 5th round.
csick liked this.
Apr. 17 at 2:40 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
I've scouted Lindstrom, Catton, Iggy, and although I'm not necessarily putting Iggy as the best of the 3, he is definitely in the same tier. I think the hype is pretty deserved. Using the rankings of the past isn't really valid imo: Kiviharju was supposed to be the 1st OA pick, but now he is probably not a 1st round guy. Slaf was a late 1st, and became the rightful 1st OA pick. Cameron Allen was projected as the best D in the 2023 draft but fell to the 5th round.

True, and admittedly I've only watched the scouting videos of Iginla on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWoc6PkCI7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOw24rIvlLo&t=324s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUz2rMEA4tE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU3x9BCj7CQ

From what I see, nothing (apart from his compete level and wrist shot) screams "elite" to me. And you can't deny, especially recently, that too many articles are hyping him up due to his last name. It definitely has me second guessing, which I don't have for Catton or Lindstrom.
I could totally be wrong though!
Caufield liked this.
Apr. 17 at 3:08 p.m.
One of Celebrini, Helenius or Demidov should be available when MTL draft. If they are all gone I guess I would go for Catton then Lindstrom.
Apr. 17 at 3:14 p.m.
They didn’t pick Michkov because of his attitude. He fought his teamate or ex-teamate twice (Miroshnichenko and Remezovsky). He kicked a teamates in the locker room because he was in his way. He’s getting loaned from SKA even if he is one of the best scorer in the KHL. There are a lot of off ice red flags.

I prefer Demidov as a prospect and as a human being.
Matt1567 liked this.
Apr. 17 at 3:26 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: Jobob77
One of Celebrini, Helenius or Demidov should be available when MTL draft. If they are all gone I guess I would go for Catton then Lindstrom.

They didn’t pick Michkov because of his attitude. He fought his teamate or ex-teamate twice (Miroshnichenko and Remezovsky). He kicked a teamates in the locker room because he was in his way. He’s getting loaned from SKA even if he is one of the best scorer in the KHL. There are a lot of off ice red flags.

I prefer Demidov as a prospect and as a human being.

Nah, that's just a bunch of rumors. And if they were true, PHI probably wouldn't have picked him either.

Reason they didn't pick Michkov, imo, is because they didn't have access to him, to scout him in person, and to be able to develop him with their own staff, until his contract is up in a few years. Development seems to really be a focus with MTL. Even with Reinbacher, they had full control on if they wanted to send him to Kloten or keep him in Laval. And even in Switzerland, they were sending their own guys to work with him throughout the year (Ramage, Bouillon, etc.). Same will apply with Demidov, they have zero access to the player, until he would sign and come over.
Apr. 17 at 3:27 p.m.
I think based on 6th OV finish and Habs management and drafting history, its going to be Iginla and its not even going to be close to being Catton unless they trade down to 10-14.

Lindstrom/Demidov if they're available are the top realistic options but doubt they will be. If neither are available at 6 and Iginla too which I doubt, It'll be a dman. Seems like Parehk or Yakemchuk being the likely candidates.

I still think its Iginla though when it's all said and done.
Apr. 17 at 3:34 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Edited Apr. 17 at 3:45 p.m.

Also, players dropping in the draft is pretty common, it's players that climb in the draft that needs to be looked at. Slaf is a good example, Kotkaniemi is another, in both cases they were still considered 1st rd talent. It's almost unheard of that a player is barely making the 3rd rd one year, and is then considered a top 5 pick the next. Hence, my apprehension. Add the whole "his last name is Iginla" hype, and alarms are starting to go off.
Could very much be an extremely high risk, high reward pick. But when you have guys like Lindstrom and Catton posibily available, it's kind of hard to justify that much risk taking with Iginla.
Apr. 17 at 3:42 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: F50marco
I think based on 6th OV finish and Habs management and drafting history, its going to be Iginla and its not even going to be close to being Catton unless they trade down to 10-14.

Lindstrom/Demidov if they're available are the top realistic options but doubt they will be. If neither are available at 6 and Iginla too which I doubt, It'll be a dman. Seems like Parehk or Yakemchuk being the likely candidates.

I still think its Iginla though when it's all said and done.

See my other replies in this thread about Iginla, I have concerns. I could be totally wrong, but I think the concerns are valid.

Listening to the end of season press conference from Hughes and Gorton, the priority will definitely be on selecting a forward. But I guess you can never rule out picking another dman.

I think your expectations of where Catton drops is wrong. If some teams buy into the Cooley comparisons, he's long gone by 10th overall.
Apr. 17 at 3:59 p.m.
See my other replies in this thread about Iginla, I have concerns. I could be totally wrong, but I think the concerns are valid.

Listening to the end of season press conference from Hughes and Gorton, the priority will definitely be on selecting a forward. But I guess you can never rule out picking another dman.

I think your expectations of where Catton drops is wrong. If some teams buy into the Cooley comparisons, he's long gone by 10th overall.

Lets be clear I like Catton, I just don't think Habs will take him anywhere in the top 10. Someone else very well might though.
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Apr. 17 at 4:15 p.m.
Nah, that's just a bunch of rumors. And if they were true, PHI probably wouldn't have picked him either.

Reason they didn't pick Michkov, imo, is because they didn't have access to him, to scout him in person, and to be able to develop him with their own staff, until his contract is up in a few years. Development seems to really be a focus with MTL. Even with Reinbacher, they had full control on if they wanted to send him to Kloten or keep him in Laval. And even in Switzerland, they were sending their own guys to work with him throughout the year (Ramage, Bouillon, etc.). Same will apply with Demidov, they have zero access to the player, until he would sign and come over.

The fights are not rumors, there are clips. tears of joy

Montreal was the team with the easiest access/knowledge/possibilty to have a word on his development through Bobrov dad. Fans are ignoring the red flags and they are so evident.
Apr. 17 at 4:19 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: Jobob77
The fights are not rumors, there are clips. tears of joy

Montreal was the team with the easiest access/knowledge/possibilty to have a word on his development through Bobrov dad. Fans are ignoring the red flags and they are so evident.

Links to the clips? when you do a search, nothing comes up. Would love to see them lol
Apr. 17 at 4:31 p.m.
Links to the clips? when you do a search, nothing comes up. Would love to see them lol

Remezovsky:
Remezovsky played in tournaments with Michkov and with the SKA (MHL). Last year, in the playoffs, he jumped on Ivan behind the play
https://x.com/hockeynewshub/status/1634255947202699274?s=46

Miroshnichenko:
No finding the clip anymore but there is an article about it written by the hockey news.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/washington-capitals/takes/washington-capitals-andrei-nikolishin-scout-concerns-matvei-michkov-nhl-draft
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Apr. 17 at 5:24 p.m.
Prime Primeau
If we get 5 OA and Anaheim or Columbus gets first, there is a good chance Demidov will still be available

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll